Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Read this post four hours ago and I'm still laughing.

Blistex posted:

Someone care to school me on why this is all wrong and why the F-111 is the best option?

The F-111 is always the best option. Unless you're the US Navy.

Maybe with F-110's instead of the TF30s. Man, 7 year old me is all excited now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I'm surprised the TF41 never made it's way into the F-14 or F-111 as a stopgap between the TF30 and modern F100/110 series turbofans. It worked well in the A-7, but I guess the cost of developing an afterburning variant wasn't worth it.

Edit: I remember some older documentary about life and operations on board an aircraft carrier where there was several minutes dedicated to flight deck crew talking about being terrified of the A-7 intake. :v:

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 20, 2013

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

ehnus posted:

Read this post four hours ago and I'm still laughing.

The F-111 is always the best option. Unless you're the US Navy.

Maybe with F-110's instead of the TF30s. Man, 7 year old me is all excited now.

GE Engines 'Enough Thrust in Christendom'

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Powercube posted:

So, the 787-9 flew yesterday. Apologies for the lack of pictures- nowhere I can legally share them from supports bbcode.
http://www.airlinereporter.com/2013/09/boeing-787-9-dreamliner-takes-first-flight/

It was quite a flight too!

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Plinkey posted:

Ha, I worked on this software :smug:

Can you discuss in non-classified terms what the test was about? Also, are there any good non-classified videos of the test that you know of and can point us to?

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Sep 20, 2013

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Blistex posted:

The Swiss are surrounded by first-world nations (and Italy) that are armed with Eurofighters and Dassault's. They're landlocked, have an airspace that can be patrolled with a C172 in an afternoon, and a total of 7 military and 18 civilian airports.

1. Is "highway operation" really necessary?

2. Would they be better served with something that's 99% air superiority rather than bomb taxi? (they still have relatively young F-18s to do that)

3. Would going the Eurofighter route be better since there is closer access to the parts and service infrastructure as opposed to something on the other side of Europe?

4. Are they out of Nazi gold yet? Do they really have to think of cost being the first priority? If they are set on fighters, why not a Silent Eagle to give them some 4.5(ish) generation fighters with limited stealth capabilities and excellent intercept capabilities. (they have a small country, so faster intercepts would be a plus)

Essentially, what is the most likely thing they are going to use these fighters for? I don't know of them ever dropping a bomb in anger, and they only had limited engagements during WWII with a few skirmishes with German and US strays. Honestly, to me it would seem that the size of their nation would dictate that a top-notch SAM network would be a better deterrent than fighters.

Someone care to school me on why this is all wrong and why the F-111 is the best option?

This will explain most of your questions. http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/switzerland-replacing-its-f-5s-04624/

The short answer is politics.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

SeaborneClink posted:

It was quite a flight too!

It's sitting on the ramp near a 747-8. Both had their anti-collision lights on and the 787 one is absolutely blinding. It was interesting to compare to what I'm used to. I guess it's a LED type now or something?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

AzureSkys posted:

It's sitting on the ramp near a 747-8. Both had their anti-collision lights on and the 787 one is absolutely blinding. It was interesting to compare to what I'm used to. I guess it's a LED type now or something?

Yeah I saw Ethiopian's getting towed onto stand the other day and it's definitely an LED anti-col. The binary on/off was the giveaway.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Sir Cornelius posted:

This will explain most of your questions. http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/switzerland-replacing-its-f-5s-04624/

The short answer is politics.
More of the answer is that the Swiss have a lot of relatively short runways surrounded by large mountains, so short take-off/landing is more important to them then other nations; the F-18C/D made a lot of sense because it gave them a large and highly capable multi-role fighter even though they had to enlarge their bunkers to support it. This new aircraft just needs to be able to add numbers to support it.

As to why Gripen and not Eurofighter or Rafale? Yeah, politics. You don't buy weapons from the nations you're buying the aircraft to protect your sovereignty from.

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.
So the last two VC-10s still flying are, at the time of this post, on their last operational sortie for the RAF:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-24165590

Achingly beautiful aircraft, last big jet we built in the UK, will be missed :britain:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Whoops!

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...p-1226723614363

quote:

AIRSERVICES Australia has stood down a traffic controller involved in Qantas's mid-air near collision earlier today.

It is understood that at about midday, QF581, the Sydney to Perth flight was flying at 38,000ft and the Perth to Sydney flight was at 39,000ft when the Perth-bound flight requested to climb to 40,000ft.

Air traffic control gave permission for the ascension when the on board warning system went off and the pilots sought evasive action.

As the plane ascended, it came into the pathway of QF 576 from Perth to Sydney, which was travelling at 39,000 ft.

After warning notifications went off, the planes involved swerved and narrowly missed each other.

"Our pilots followed standard operating procedures in re-establishing the required separation distance following the alert from the onboard notification system,'' Qantas said in a statement.

"There was no impact to passengers.''

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau was earlier notified that two planes came too close to each other west of Adelaide this afternoon.

Qantas said the two Airbus A330 aircraft had a "loss of separation'', when one flying from Sydney to Perth was granted permission by air traffic control to climb.

The other flight, coming in the opposite direction, was travelling from Perth to Sydney.

Qantas confirmed the two planes involved were a Sydney-to-Perth flight, QF581, which landed at Perth Airport about 1.30pm. The other, flying from Perth to Sydney, was QF576.

Passenger 'saw other plane'

Passenger Gary Martin, who was on the Sydney-to-Perth flight, said he saw the other Qantas plane fly beneath his plane, but was not worried.

“I just happened to look out the window somewhere over South Australia and happened to see a plane fly underneath,” Mr Martin said after landing at Perth Airport.

“I was not worried at all.”

Another Perth passenger, Leanne, said nobody on board was told about the incident.

"I'm a bit concerned that nothing was said, you still want to know what's going on and now I'm shaking," she said.

Former United Airlines maintenance technician Walter Bird said passengers noticed nothing at all during the flight.

"I didn't notice any violent manoeuvres or anything," he said.

"It's not uncommon actually, near misses and that sort of thing. It's just a matter of clear communications."

Most of the passengers coming off the flight said they did not know about the near-miss until asked by news crews at Perth Airport.

An ATSB spokesman said the authority knew of a “loss of separation” incident involving the two aircraft.

Qantas confirmed two of its aircraft had a “loss of separation” over Adelaide, but it denied there was any near-miss or immediate danger to the planes.

In a statement, Qantas said: “Indications are that the loss of separation occurred when one of the Qantas aircraft received clearance to climb from Air Traffic Control,” the statement read.

“Our pilots followed standard operating procedures in re-establishing the required separation distance following the alert from the onboard notification system. There was no impact to passengers.”

Airservices Australia, which has responsibility for air traffic management, said it had reported the incident to the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) and had notified the Civil Aviation Safety Authority.

It said updates would be provided to the ATSB and Airservices Australia would cooperate fully with any investigation.

An ATSB spokesman said it was gathering more information to determine if it was necessary to investigate the incident.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Oopsie. I wonder what the minimum distance was before they started increasing separation again.

I also wonder what factored in to ATC missing the altitude conflict and whether or not ATC issued any traffic advisories or instructions to affect separation prior to the flight crews' TCAS going off.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

Oopsie. I wonder what the minimum distance was before they started increasing separation again.

I also wonder what factored in to ATC missing the altitude conflict and whether or not ATC issued any traffic advisories or instructions to affect separation prior to the flight crews' TCAS going off.

Yeah, there are a lot of things that could have happened outside of the controller just clearing one aircraft through the other. Not saying that didn't happen though. Thankfully TCAS is there as an out for when people gently caress up.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!

Linedance posted:

Yeah I saw Ethiopian's getting towed onto stand the other day and it's definitely an LED anti-col. The binary on/off was the giveaway.

They make it way easier to get beacon shots, too. Just count to three and click the shutter on the three.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20130920-707643.html

That's going to suck for them.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Axeman Jim posted:

So the last two VC-10s still flying are, at the time of this post, on their last operational sortie for the RAF:

Achingly beautiful aircraft, last big jet we built in the UK, will be missed :britain:

I was in the control tower at RAF Finningley once when a ten departed. The controller said 'he's got an aircraft full of students, I think he's going to show off'. It felt like he used about 100 yards of runway, never seen anything like it, absolutely incredible. Best school trip ever!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Axeman Jim posted:

As my username implies, I'm sad to hear this. :(

Being a Yank of a young age (well, compared to the VC-10s anyway,) I never saw one operational. I did get inside the Imperial War Museum Duxford's example, though:

StandardVC10 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 20, 2013

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

grover posted:

As to why Gripen and not Eurofighter or Rafale? Yeah, politics. You don't buy weapons from the nations you're buying the aircraft to protect your sovereignty from.

This isn't correct at all; Eurofighter and Rafale lost because they are way too much aircraft and far too expensive for Swiss needs. On the topic of their Hornet purchasem the single biggest reason why it dragged out for so long was the desire of several groups in government, as well as a very large part of the general population, to purchase a European aircraft. It was so great that after the contest was initially won by the Hornet, it was re-opened to evaluate the Mirage 2000-5 (which lost), and then was sent to a general referendum, which narrowly passed in favour of the Hornet purchase.

Beyond that, the Swiss have operated several combat aircraft from European nations, so again the argument against buying a European aircraft has never really held water.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Really late notice, but for Southern Alberta/Northern Montana or Idaho goons, the Lancaster in Nanton is doing a full power run up of the 4 Merlins tomorrow around noon.

She isn't air certified, but they'll run the engines at full throttle for a bit in the parking lot 20' from the Hwy2/I15 corridor :clint:

http://www.bombercommandmuseum.ca/event_merlinrunups.html

If I can, I'll try to make it. I'm a little over an hour away myself.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

I hope it turns out well, for those that don't know that's SAS poster Some Random rear end in a top hat's ARCA race team sponsor/family business. They also just entered into Stewart as a carrier, and I was going to use them for a Florida trip sometime next year.

They make for a great racing livery, though.

Yes, that's a stock car on a dirt track, as well.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Sep 21, 2013

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

VikingSkull posted:

Yes, that's a stock car on a dirt track, as well.

Worked out okay for Lightning McQueen.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

So by now I imagine many of you have heard of Paul Allen's Stratolaunch aircraft? The idea of converting two aircraft into one outsize cargo hauler wasn't exactly original. Enter, the Conroy Virtus:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

slidebite posted:

Really late notice, but for Southern Alberta/Northern Montana or Idaho goons, the Lancaster in Nanton is doing a full power run up of the 4 Merlins tomorrow around noon.

She isn't air certified, but they'll run the engines at full throttle for a bit in the parking lot 20' from the Hwy2/I15 corridor :clint:

http://www.bombercommandmuseum.ca/event_merlinrunups.html

If I can, I'll try to make it. I'm a little over an hour away myself.

gently caress yeah, that was still probably the highlight of my drive up to Alaska back in '09. No idea that aircraft or museum was there, just driving through the back roads of Alberta and...is that a Canuck on a pole over there across the street? Holy poo poo that looks like a Lancaster in a hangar in the middle of this town what in the hell is going on here

6 hours later I was back on the road, haha.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

MrChips posted:

So by now I imagine many of you have heard of Paul Allen's Stratolaunch aircraft? The idea of converting two aircraft into one outsize cargo hauler wasn't exactly original. Enter, the Conroy Virtus:

To be fair, if you ask your artist to draw your proposal for a shuttle ferry aircraft, and he draws the shuttle having fallen off the carrier in mid-flight, it's probably NOT going to be too convincing when you try to sell the idea to NASA/Congress.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MrChips posted:

The wing to engine size ratio is...messed up? It looks like a 737 flying with two jet turbines made from salvaged Saab turbos.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Idea's been around even longer than that, and I'm sure someone could probably find an even earlier one.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

In 1917 during WW1 the Zeppelin flyers experimented with launching Albatros D.IIIs, both as a parasite defense fighter, and as a weird way to launch torpedoes. The D.III would tow behind it some sort of torpedo with biplane wings - essentially a second biplane built around a torpedo. The experiments were successful at launching airplanes at least, though the program was dropped at the end of 1917. Apparently Master of Airships Peter Strasser asked the engineers if they could build a parasite fighter that could be launched and recovered by the zeppelin, and also be a seaplane, and also be able to fly to 20,000 ft. The engineers said no, and Strasser said to forget the whole thing. Got a pic from the experiments somewhere around here...

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Nebakenezzer posted:

In 1917 during WW1 the Zeppelin flyers experimented with launching Albatros D.IIIs, both as a parasite defense fighter, and as a weird way to launch torpedoes. The D.III would tow behind it some sort of torpedo with biplane wings - essentially a second biplane built around a torpedo. The experiments were successful at launching airplanes at least, though the program was dropped at the end of 1917. Apparently Master of Airships Peter Strasser asked the engineers if they could build a parasite fighter that could be launched and recovered by the zeppelin, and also be a seaplane, and also be able to fly to 20,000 ft. The engineers said no, and Strasser said to forget the whole thing. Got a pic from the experiments somewhere around here...

Do we get to look forward to an effortpost on the Akron from you??

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

The wing to engine size ratio is...messed up? It looks like a 737 flying with two jet turbines made from salvaged Saab turbos.

It looks messed up because the Virtus was designed to have a 450-foot wingspan...those "little" engines are actually Pratt JT9Ds. :eyepop:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

MrChips posted:

It looks messed up because the Virtus was designed to have a 450-foot wingspan...those "little" engines are actually Pratt JT9Ds. :eyepop:

See those folks in the back there? They're standing next to Pratt and Whitney JT9Ds. That would have been a huge-rear end plane. :stare:

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

See those folks in the back there? They're standing next to Pratt and Whitney JT9Ds. That would have been a huge-rear end plane. :stare:

Do the same but with GE90s :getin:

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Polymerized Cum posted:

Do the same but with GE90s :getin:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Wha..What are the outboards :stare:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrChips posted:

Weren't there a couple of wacky shuttle hauler designs before hey figured out they could just throw it on the back of a 747 with a couple changes to the empennage?

^^^ normal 747 engines, I would assume CF6 but I guess it could be a JT9D (which would be pretty funny)

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 22, 2013

nnnnghhhhgnnngh
Apr 6, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Weren't there a couple of wacky shuttle hauler designs before hey figured out they could just throw it on the back of a 747 with a couple changes to the empennage?
Yeah, including two C-5s strapped together like a Twin Mustang. That would've been interesting.

edit

nnnnghhhhgnnngh fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 22, 2013

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

From what I can find they're JT9D's.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ehnus posted:

That's "every airbus is delivered on the wings of a Boeing" territory.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

iyaayas01 posted:

gently caress yeah, that was still probably the highlight of my drive up to Alaska back in '09. No idea that aircraft or museum was there, just driving through the back roads of Alberta and...is that a Canuck on a pole over there across the street? Holy poo poo that looks like a Lancaster in a hangar in the middle of this town what in the hell is going on here

6 hours later I was back on the road, haha.

It really is a cool little museum. I probably spent a good 4-5 hours in there myself too.

Sadly, I wasn't able to make the trip today. Hopefully someone took video and will be put it on Youtube or something.

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007

ehnus posted:

They just acquired a new flying tested that's GE powered. Everyone in propulsion at the airlines and oems used to poke fun at the fact that GE had to depend on JT9D engines for flight test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

nnnnghhhhgnnngh posted:

Yeah, including two C-5s strapped together like a Twin Mustang. That would've been interesting.

edit

It looks like the C-5's are Eiffel Towering the space shuttle

HIGH FIVE