Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Prices are per unit at various bulk points:

We can get the SA grenade etched or printed.
I too would like one of those bottle opener usb drives, despite never having anything to post in this thread since I started programming instead of working in a helpdesk. Willing to go for 32gb btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Okay, so this poo poo has officially crossed into bullshit zone.

I work for a consulting firm who is doing an extended length project on a customer site. I newly report to one of the customers managers while I help out with some server builds.

Yesterday I was returning from lunch and I bumped into my actual manager from our consulting firm. He noticed that I had my gym bag over my shoulder since I was returning from the gym after trying out the concept of squeezing in a workout during my hour lunch break.

He point blank told me that working out during my lunch break is a no-no and that he was very disappointed in me for "choosing this activity."

What. The. gently caress.

What I chose to do during my hour lunch break should be my own loving affair, right? As long as I'm not going over my hour (which in itself is bullshit, considering all of the overtime I won't be getting paid for - different rant), who gives a whit what I'm doing?

Also: I'm in for the USB bottle opener.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Are they USB 2.0 or 3.0?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Agrikk posted:

What. The. gently caress.

What I chose to do during my hour lunch break should be my own loving affair, right? As long as I'm not going over my hour (which in itself is bullshit, considering all of the overtime I won't be getting paid for - different rant), who gives a whit what I'm doing?

Perhaps you had an odor? Just saying :colbert:

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

I'm in for the bottle opener.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Might want to hold off on that new BES install.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-20/blackberry-to-fire-4-500-write-down-up-to-960-million.html

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Count me in for bottle opener use.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

baquerd posted:

Perhaps you had an odor? Just saying :colbert:

Hah. Yeah I shower and use deodorant after my workout, thanks.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

That's loving ridiculous. 2 of our larger offices have gym and shower facilities, and the one I work at is across the parking lot from a gym, and also has shower facilities. There are at least 3 people I know who either go running or work out and shower during their lunch break. Perfectly acceptable behavior.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
What is even the rationale there? Is it some sort of "we're legally obligated to give you a Lunch Break, but god damned if we're going to let you use it for anything but lunch" thing?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I've done some contract work where my firm was expected to be a bunch of perfectly dressed robots that don't poop or drink coffee, it was ridiculous but I guess I see their "look we have to be perfect" image nonsense?

Just start bringing in a laptop bag or briefcase to carry your gym clothes I guess.

KweezNArt
Jul 30, 2007
Down for a USB bottle opener. Give me a reason to start drinking things that don't have a screw off top.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Instead of filling the thread with random "I want one"'s, someone should probably start a public google spreadsheet to keep track of who's in and what their preferences are for size/logo/etc.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

My IT experience basically stops at helping my mom work her iPod and I would still like to get in on this USB stick thing.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Agrikk posted:

Hah. Yeah I shower and use deodorant after my workout, thanks.

Did you ask him to justify that? Is it policy? Is it a personal thing with him? Why not ask "why?"

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I'll hop on the bottle opener USB bandwagon as well!

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I've done some contract work where my firm was expected to be a bunch of perfectly dressed robots that don't poop or drink coffee, it was ridiculous but I guess I see their "look we have to be perfect" image nonsense?

This is absolutely it.

This morning I had a 45 minute meeting with said manager about "my behavior yesterday" in which he basically modeled himself to me:

No, [manager] I never see you wear "round collar" shirts.
Yes, [manager] You always wear formal attire except on casual Fridays but you still wear collared shirts.
Yes, [manager] it truly is silly that California is so lax and casual about business attire.
Yes, [manager] it is amazing that you bathe every day and wash your hair every day and shave every day. (no poo poo. he actually was proud of this.)

In this firm, everyone dresses and presents themselves like some kind of Gattaca drone.

It is expected that I will get my administrative credentials within four weeks at which point I can start work. Until that time there is literally nothing I can do but make sure I am in the office for exactly 8 hours (+1 hour lunch) to the minute and look busy without actually doing anything.

I'm basically in this gig until the missus and I figure out what the next move is in our life, but that time cannot come fast enough because this outfit is a loving joke.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

the littlest prince posted:

Instead of filling the thread with random "I want one"'s, someone should probably start a public google spreadsheet to keep track of who's in and what their preferences are for size/logo/etc.

Way ahead of you.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1VE_uF2Q9BishHagcUSNYiCx4FJK6UOpHz3RBUfKj3s0/viewform

Fill that out, i'll see how high interest is. If we need more people I'm sure we can get more orders from the beer threads in GWS.

Anyone good at designing? I was just going to use the SA grenade and have them laser etch it. If we did a picture we could do the SA grenade over servertetris.jpg or something like that.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
So my mom's laptop got hosed up. Stopped booting altogether. I'm still not convinced that it was the hard drive but trying to boot to the system recovery or even a USB image didn't work at all until I put in a different drive.

Anyway, I'm on my third attempt to install Win 7 because it keeps getting hosed up and going to a startup repair loop. At first I thought it was Windows update, but now I think it's Toshiba's lovely drivers.

Everyone who says Linux is hard has never installed Windows and had to deal with going to an OEM site to download loving drivers, hoping you get the right ones.

I think I have it now, I just need to find the right video driver.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Count me in for the bottle opener. I'll need one cause I apparently hosed completely up a few weeks ago by accidentally throwing out about 50 blanking plates the chief engineer was saving for a big server clean-out. In my defense, he stashed them in a cardboard box amidst about 20 other cardboard boxes that were destined for the dumpster. Anyways, dude's pissed.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nativity In Black posted:

So my mom's laptop got hosed up. Stopped booting altogether. I'm still not convinced that it was the hard drive but trying to boot to the system recovery or even a USB image didn't work at all until I put in a different drive.

Anyway, I'm on my third attempt to install Win 7 because it keeps getting hosed up and going to a startup repair loop. At first I thought it was Windows update, but now I think it's Toshiba's lovely drivers.

Everyone who says Linux is hard has never installed Windows and had to deal with going to an OEM site to download loving drivers, hoping you get the right ones.

Have you checked the RAM? If the OS install keeps loving up, that's the likely culprit.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

It would be pretty unusual to be able for the windows 7 installer to run and actually install the OS, and but not be able to boot due to missing drivers. The initial driver set is pretty robust, at least to get a bootable stable system.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Did the notebook ship with Win 7 or did it ship with Vista or XP? if it shipped with Vista or XP may need a BIOS update to work. Happened with my Toshiba when I moved to 7 a few years ago.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Inspector_71 posted:

Have you checked the RAM? If the OS install keeps loving up, that's the likely culprit.
I never understood how a computer could be 99% stable with bad RAM, but gently caress off trying to install Windows to it. Happened to me several times.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

coyo7e posted:

Now this is how you do tchotchkes right, for your IT customers.

How fast are the writes? I have the PNY Bottle Opener flash drive and while it's been handy both in the bottle opener and data transfer sense, it's slow as balls to write to it (reads are descent at least).

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Agrikk posted:

This is absolutely it.

This morning I had a 45 minute meeting with said manager about "my behavior yesterday" in which he basically modeled himself to me:

No, [manager] I never see you wear "round collar" shirts.
Yes, [manager] You always wear formal attire except on casual Fridays but you still wear collared shirts.
Yes, [manager] it truly is silly that California is so lax and casual about business attire.
Yes, [manager] it is amazing that you bathe every day and wash your hair every day and shave every day. (no poo poo. he actually was proud of this.)

In this firm, everyone dresses and presents themselves like some kind of Gattaca drone.

It is expected that I will get my administrative credentials within four weeks at which point I can start work. Until that time there is literally nothing I can do but make sure I am in the office for exactly 8 hours (+1 hour lunch) to the minute and look busy without actually doing anything.

I'm basically in this gig until the missus and I figure out what the next move is in our life, but that time cannot come fast enough because this outfit is a loving joke.
Unless they're paying you for your lunch break, I don't see how they can tell you what you can or can't do. This is actually the one cool thing about my manager, I have a deal with him where I can take off for the gym at certain times on certain days (It varies, unfortunately) so that I can go to the gym classes (it's cheaper when it's group sessions) and then I come back and work the rest of the time. Majority of the stuff I do is in the office anyway, so no one cares that I'm in an old shirt and shorts. I also have a bottle of Rocket Shower (I think enotnert recommended this, it works pretty well) in case I have to go out on the nursing floors.

**ninja edit**
Oh, hell. I shoulda edited my last post and threw this in there. :downs:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Signed up for a 32GB, is that metal over the part where it attaches to the keyring too? Cause that always seems to break for me :(

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

I should state that all the drives ordered have to be the same size, so once people have a chance to respond i'll give more info

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Yeah, unless you're getting wasted on your lunch hour, or standing in front of the building screaming racial epithets at passers-by, what can they do?

Unless you work in a right-to-work state, in which case sucks to be you.

tjl
Aug 6, 2005
Got a call on my cell about an hour before I normally start this morning, ignored it. Client immediately sends a follow up text, "Our network is down." Well poo poo, I guess I can't ignore this one till starting time. Or eat breakfast.

Before driving out there I remote into their router, and run some tests. Clearly their internet is up as well as the router I'm connected into. They are just one big /24, on an un-managed Cisco SMB switch.

I can only ping maybe... 5 devices, most of them printers. The rest are "host unreachable" servers included. Call someone on-site, ask them to reboot all the switches and router, and I try again. Same results. Hmmm OK probably a bad switch then. I've done all I can remotely, so I grab a replacement and drive out.

Get there, un-box the replacement switch, and move the cables over from the defective switch. Power up and observe the same results. Reboot new switch... same results. :psyduck: Not sure WTF is really going on now.

Unplug all the network connections, and just try plugging in the workstation near me and the router uplink. It works, on both switches old and new. So it's now clear to me there is a bad NIC out there, or cable, or something, and its messing up the switching or ARP or god knows what.

Plug stuff in one at a time successfully and eventually find the cable that brings it all back down. A new Dell computer that is powered on, but totally frozen. Nothing on the monitor, keyboard frozen. I plug everything in except for this workstation and the network remains stable. Reboot the Dell, plug it in and there are no longer any issues.

Layer 2 really can be the Devil sometimes.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
What kind of geeks are you that you don't have a multi-tool on your person at all times?

Leatherman micra here on keychain, I found it under a raised floor 10ish years ago in building we took over. And a backup / SHTF swiss key in my wallet. Big fat Gerber is in the glove box.

USB bottle opener is cool and I'd totally get one except I don't ever really use USB drives and have bunches of them.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 21, 2013

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

tjl posted:

Plug stuff in one at a time successfully and eventually find the cable that brings it all back down. A new Dell computer that is powered on, but totally frozen. Nothing on the monitor, keyboard frozen. I plug everything in except for this workstation and the network remains stable. Reboot the Dell, plug it in and there are no longer any issues.

Layer 2 really can be the Devil sometimes.

Ran into this same issue one time with a Mac Mini in a closet that had long been forgotten.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

kensei posted:

Signed up for a 32GB, is that metal over the part where it attaches to the keyring too? Cause that always seems to break for me :(

That whole part is aluminium, if you visit the link I posted way earlier they have actual comprehensive info, more than I've seen on almost any site, they have all their CE declarations, RoHS testing, everything

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

teethgrinder posted:

I never understood how a computer could be 99% stable with bad RAM, but gently caress off trying to install Windows to it. Happened to me several times.

A lot of people really don't do poo poo on their computer but check their email and maybe surf the web with a single browser tab, which doesn't use much memory. Even if it does happen to encounter uncorrectable errors from a bad DIMM, it will probably just cause the current application to crash, which most non-technical people won't think twice about unless it happens really frequently. I'd guess a full Windows install uses quite a bit more memory and is therefore more likely to have an issue with a flaky DIMM, and of course when it has a problem, the whole install dies.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

HalloKitty posted:

That whole part is aluminium, if you visit the link I posted way earlier they have actual comprehensive info, more than I've seen on almost any site, they have all their CE declarations, RoHS testing, everything

Nice, thanks!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

dennyk posted:

A lot of people really don't do poo poo on their computer but check their email and maybe surf the web with a single browser tab, which doesn't use much memory. Even if it does happen to encounter uncorrectable errors from a bad DIMM, it will probably just cause the current application to crash, which most non-technical people won't think twice about unless it happens really frequently. I'd guess a full Windows install uses quite a bit more memory and is therefore more likely to have an issue with a flaky DIMM, and of course when it has a problem, the whole install dies.

Yeah, the Windows install process unpacks loads of stuff into RAM.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

TWBalls posted:

How fast are the writes? I have the PNY Bottle Opener flash drive and while it's been handy both in the bottle opener and data transfer sense, it's slow as balls to write to it (reads are descent at least).

Here's what the site says:

quote:

USB 2.0:
Sequential write speed range = 4~10 MB/s
Sequential read speed range = 15~25 MB/s

USB 3.0:
Sequential write speed range =10~20 MB/s
Sequential read speed range = 40~50 MB/s

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
Put me down for a drive as well.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

HalloKitty posted:

That's fantastic. It looks like it's made from plastic from here, though, be nice if it had a metal body if that's the case.

vvv Aluminium it is! http://www.flashbay.com/products/pop-flash-drive
I've test-driven this guy for a couple rounds and here's my professional review:

1) the keychain ring sucks. And the hole to loop it through is sketchy-small for other, larger keyrings. This is what I assume will cost me to lose my thumb drive somewhere!

2) it works really well. My last keychain bottle opener (which was replaced by this guy, and was also a freebie from a vendor,) usually took 2 different angles before you could pop a cap off. The super flat and wide blade pops the caps off nearly unmarred.

3: I wish the USB was inset by a tiny bit. It's a minor quibble however eventually something is gonna hook and bend it, the way I handle my pile o' keys.

With a little Dremmell action this is going to be a sweet addition to my keychain and it will also be a bootable drive for poo poo I commonly use, as well. I'd recommend one, but wouldn't recommend keeping important or confidential info on them since I'd assume it'll break the loop and get lost pdq.

SEKCobra posted:

I first thought it was aluminium. Kinda seems crappy with it being plastic, the corner is going to be hosed up quickly.
Yeah, it's a plastic central body around the drive, with an aluminum shell for the rest.

If someone wants to throw in for a lot of them with some goon bullshit on them, I'd be happy to get a couple/few.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Think I might buy some bottle openers for some goons I know. Getting a quote for 30, I'll see how much they cost.

• Locked thread