Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I like how the monsters in Megaforce/Goseiger are based on Cryptids and sci-fi movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
poo poo, Megaforce is airing again? About drat time. Did they ever explain why there was a sudden hiatus?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

jivjov posted:

poo poo, Megaforce is airing again? About drat time. Did they ever explain why there was a sudden hiatus?

That's how Nick contracts outside shows.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

If it makes you feel better, way back in 93-94 they did the same exact thing. Air until the spring/summer and then go away until the fall.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tae posted:

That's how Nick contracts outside shows.

Huh...like they air in 10-ish episode blocks? Or will this be the one hiatus until Super Megaforce?

Also, just saw Megaforce toys at McDonalds, if anyone wants a tiny chunky Gosei Megazord.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Troy's acting somehow got worse, but then there was the scene where he didn't even make eye contact with Robo Knight. That was fantastic.

At least Jake is getting better, as his character inches towards Doc territory. "Robo Hug" indeed.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Jesus, going back to Megaforce after Go Busters gave me whiplash. How on earth did Troy get more wooden? Where did those elemental powers come from? Why don't the names on the cards match the names they use on the show?

Robo Knight is kind of stupid in a good way, at least.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
My biggest question is why they never change clothes? Was the budget really that small? Did anyone notice they left their little sparring session and were back in their regular outfits when they demorphed?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I love how Robo Knight casually walks by and the parents are oblivious. Robo Knight sounds like he has a lisp and is slightly retarded.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Is Goseiger any good? I tried watching a few episodes and just couldn't stand staring at the cast, with their big wet eyes and mushy faces. Alata. :argh:

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Is Goseiger any good? I tried watching a few episodes and just couldn't stand staring at the cast, with their big wet eyes and mushy faces. Alata. :argh:
Yes

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

SpazmasterX posted:

My biggest question is why they never change clothes? Was the budget really that small? Did anyone notice they left their little sparring session and were back in their regular outfits when they demorphed?

I always assumed this was a hold over from Sentai where they wear the same outfit almost every single episode.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

poo poo yeah, I wanna see Robo Knight go full ED-209.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Liar Lyre posted:

If it makes you feel better, way back in 93-94 they did the same exact thing. Air until the spring/summer and then go away until the fall.

That's how a number of shows of that length are actually. If they're not broken into a Spring season and a Fall season, then they do a midseason break for the Summer/Winter as new promos or footage is filmed. I may be missing or off on some details however

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Having just finished watching the entirety of Mighty Morphin' Season 1, it becomes more and more apparent just how awful the acting has become in Power Rangers. To be fair, Megaforce is the first season I've actually tuned into as it aired since Wild Force, so maybe Megaforce is an aberration. Power Rangers has always been cheesy and not a good example of high art, but it's really starting to feel like they're aiming toward littler children than the older seasons did.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Samurai was poo poo as well. The quality of acting is relative to whatever college drop-out theater major they could find.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

It's hard to act well when you're busy trying desperately to squash your Aussie/Kiwi accent.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
I always found the Aussie actors to be significantly better than the American/Canadian ones

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Tae posted:

Samurai was poo poo as well. The quality of acting is relative to whatever college drop-out theater major they could find.

Nah, they're being directed to act poorly. Don't blame the actors :(

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

jivjov posted:

Having just finished watching the entirety of Mighty Morphin' Season 1, it becomes more and more apparent just how awful the acting has become in Power Rangers. To be fair, Megaforce is the first season I've actually tuned into as it aired since Wild Force, so maybe Megaforce is an aberration. Power Rangers has always been cheesy and not a good example of high art, but it's really starting to feel like they're aiming toward littler children than the older seasons did.

They've outright said that the new version of the show aims a little bit younger than the classic version, more in line with sentai's audience which sort of makes sense since they hew pretty closely to it now even when they change plot points.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Cliff Racer posted:

They've outright said that the new version of the show aims a little bit younger than the classic version, more in line with sentai's audience which sort of makes sense since they hew pretty closely to it now even when they change plot points.

What does aiming younger have to do with having lovely actors and directors that can't do their job?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Tae posted:

What does aiming younger have to do with having lovely actors and directors that can't do their job?
Its almost like the thing I quoted included the following words:

quote:

it's really starting to feel like they're aiming toward littler children than the older seasons did.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You're still not answering my question. Aiming younger has nothing to do with static actors that doesn't seem to understand where he is half the time.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
But I don't give a poo poo about the acting since I don't watch the show so why would I even bother to reply to stuff about it? Perhaps I should have edited the first sentence out of my quote but I left it in for context.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
It really makes me wonder though...how bad is the acting in the original Sentai stuff? I've long suspected that I find it better than it actually is due to the language barrier, but if nothing else the writing is way better in Sentai. I posted over in the Toku thread that by the end of Shinkenger I was super invested in the characters and how things would turn out for them.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

JesusSinfulHands posted:

I always found the Aussie actors to be significantly better than the American/Canadian ones

That's because Disney actually got actors rather than models/dancers/gymnasts/martial artists, even if they had only been on Shortland Street or whatever other soap.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

jivjov posted:

It really makes me wonder though...how bad is the acting in the original Sentai stuff? I've long suspected that I find it better than it actually is due to the language barrier, but if nothing else the writing is way better in Sentai. I posted over in the Toku thread that by the end of Shinkenger I was super invested in the characters and how things would turn out for them.

From what I've heard, they're pretty poo poo actors too. It's just that the language barrier masks the poo poo. The writing can be good in PR, but it depends on how much they have to adapt from the original and who's actually writing.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Funnily enough I've started watching season 1 of MMPR and I'm finding it incredibly entertaining, this is all thanks to a recent subription to netflix USA (and reading this thread), I did get confused however when I accidently clicked on the re-released version's from the late 2000's where they had added weird 60's Batman-like effect's.

Ive been thinking of checking out a few episodes of Super Sentai out fo curiosity...

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Xelkelvos posted:

From what I've heard, they're pretty poo poo actors too. It's just that the language barrier masks the poo poo. The writing can be good in PR, but it depends on how much they have to adapt from the original and who's actually writing.

I'm still watching Go-Busters and the acting really isn't much to write home about except for Jin and Enter, who are amazing.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Kuroki is a wonderful thespian. Just wait until Dobutsu Sentai Go-Busters, then you will see his full glory.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Kuroki is a wonderful thespian. Just wait until Dobutsu Sentai Go-Busters, then you will see his full glory.

That's the man from Versus, right? If so, I remember liking him.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Gaz2k21 posted:

Funnily enough I've started watching season 1 of MMPR and I'm finding it incredibly entertaining, this is all thanks to a recent subription to netflix USA (and reading this thread), I did get confused however when I accidently clicked on the re-released version's from the late 2000's where they had added weird 60's Batman-like effect's.

Ive been thinking of checking out a few episodes of Super Sentai out fo curiosity...

If you're enjoying MMPR Season 1, you should check out goon-run podcast Podcasters With Attitude. Full disclosure, I'm one of the hosts. We just finished recording all our Season 1 stuff; we do episode by episode reviews and the occasional one-off about random stuff like Japanese Frankenstein.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

jivjov posted:

If you're enjoying MMPR Season 1, you should check out goon-run podcast Podcasters With Attitude. Full disclosure, I'm one of the hosts. We just finished recording all our Season 1 stuff; we do episode by episode reviews and the occasional one-off about random stuff like Japanese Frankenstein.

I'm the crazy person that runs this. Here's an RSS feed.

I've been watching Lightspeed Rescue lately. It's pretty good, but I haven't gotten to an amazing part yet. Ryan's doing his thing now, so things are looking good.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Liar Lyre posted:

an amazing part

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

jivjov posted:

I'll give it a look I've got a couple of long journeys coming up and will need some entertainment.

Today I watched the episode "for whom the bell trolls" and noticed that Angel Grove appears to have a giant asian robot butt fetishist......

(behind megazord)

Is this kind of thing common?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I think that episode might have been the American version of a Zyuranger episode where a wacky troll convinces a kid to get giant with him and wreck up the city. In that shot they didn't notice the kid there and left him in. Thats my guess at least.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
More likely they saw the kid, wanted/needed to use the Megazord shot so rolled with it anyway and figured the seven year olds at home wouldn't notice.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Cliff Racer posted:

I think that episode might have been the American version of a Zyuranger episode where a wacky troll convinces a kid to get giant with him and wreck up the city. In that shot they didn't notice the kid there and left him in. Thats my guess at least.

That's exactly the episode it is. The Zyu episode had Bandora hiring an assistant for Pleprechaun because he was just overworked and needed a vacation or something, but he was kind of stupid and his only special ability were his jars which could suck in trains, planes, skyscrapers, Megazords... so he eventually hosed off and hooked up with a bratty idiot kid and they wrought havoc together. I think the child got big because Bandora's staff got both of them and not just the moron troll thing.

The weirdest thing is watching Zyuranger and seeing completely different context for familiar stuff.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The weirdest thing is watching Zyuranger and seeing completely different context for familiar stuff.

That's part of the reason I keep watching Power Rangers alongside Super Sentai and prefer it to not just be a direct translation. It's fun seeing how designs and footage are recontextualised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Box of Bunnies posted:

That's part of the reason I keep watching Power Rangers alongside Super Sentai and prefer it to not just be a direct translation. It's fun seeing how designs and footage are recontextualised.

Well that, and the seasons that go a totally different direction tend to work best. (In Space/RPM)