Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Elias_Maluco posted:

I remember going back to that page and rereading it a few times "no wait, what???"

This is pretty much exactly what I did. I blew right by the panel and was on to the next page, then had a sort of "wait, what the gently caress did I just read?" thing and went back to it. Which is great, because that's exactly what Erin was saying at that moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

Prison Warden posted:

The Bert and Ernie reveal is one of the best uses of panel layouts I've seen in a long time.

Yeah, I passed by it and had to go back and read it again. Then I just started laughing at how it was revealed.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

For me it's a three-way tie between THE WALLS ARE TITANS?!, the Gorilla Titan Comes Outta loving Nowhere, and Connie's mom.

Connie's mom is a more generally big question for me - the village is gone, its inhabitants presumably turned into titans for the attack inside the walls - how? By who? Monkey business? Ymir and Rein did everything in their insider-knowledge power to try to make Connie think he was crazy, implying they know what the deal is there and don't want it to get out. No breach in the walls, and I don't think (speaking as a non-Japanese reader, relying on the translated text here) that the titans were actually tunneling - what happened to the titans that were inside the walls? Where did they go? What the hell what the hell what the hell - the last, I dunno, ten or so chapters have been one giant What The gently caress moment honestly.

Bert n' Ernie reveal seemed to be really poorly handled to me. Like, exposition to get to a fight scene quicker in a series that has generally handled pacing better than that. Seems like things have accelerated super, super fast ever since the attack within the walls with no breach, and there's no explanation, just "cool poo poo happening" and a lot of questions.

Though Bert turning into the Colossal Titan and chucking other titans at the fleeing group is pretty crazy... And I can't wait to see how the reunion with Chuckles goes. drat, this loving manga :psyduck:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

HenryEx posted:

Now that the internet at large has adopted "Red Wedding" as the go-to slang for any kind of significant twist, i'll probably have to check out Game of Thrones in the near future to see what the gently caress that even is.

It's not as much of a twist or reveal as it is an "oh poo poo that just happened." It's more like Annie stomping the poo poo out of the elite recon team dudes.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

JosephWongKS posted:

What is the most "Red Wedding" revelation of this series for everyone else in this thread? The one that most shocked you and/or most changed your understanding of the nature of the series and where the story is going?

1. The Rogue Titan turned out to be Eren.

2. The Female Titan turned out to be Annie.

3. The walls turned out to be made of Titans.

4. The appearance of Monkey Titan.

5. Ymir turned out to be a Titan-shifter.

6. Bert and Ernie turned out to be the Colossal and Armored Titans.

7. Something else.

7. Ymir is a girl.

AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK

Agreed posted:

Bert n' Ernie reveal seemed to be really poorly handled to me. Like, exposition to get to a fight scene quicker in a series that has generally handled pacing better than that. Seems like things have accelerated super, super fast ever since the attack within the walls with no breach, and there's no explanation, just "cool poo poo happening" and a lot of questions.

Really? I loved the way they handled it, because I never saw it coming since they were all recovering from the last battle. I mean, I had to go back and reread that it actually happened because I just scanned over it at first since it looked so casual. And then Mikasa out of no where.. poo poo, I don't know what you think would be better I genuinely do want to hear it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

AN ANGRY MOTHER posted:

Really? I loved the way they handled it, because I never saw it coming since they were all recovering from the last battle. I mean, I had to go back and reread that it actually happened because I just scanned over it at first since it looked so casual. And then Mikasa out of no where.. poo poo, I don't know what you think would be better I genuinely do want to hear it.

A full page is devoted to Reiner delivering the line in huge bold size 60 font. The next page is nothing but reaction cuts from everyone present. Eren makes that strangled half-gasp that Japanese voice actors are so good at reproducing ("...ッ!!") and then manages to stammer, "What..." and then the chapter ends.

Obviously. :rolleyes:

PowFu
Dec 31, 2010
Wall titans, Monkey Trouble and

Daler Mehndi posted:

7. Ymir is a girl.

I was also surprised when I realized Hanji was a girl, but not as much as Ymir. Probably because I wasn't expecting to be tricked twice, and I thought Ymir was a guy's name.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

No, just a little more lead-up than "hey eren, need to talk to you about something, we're the armored and colossal respectively. Gotta take you a place. Here we go, cool?" We got like one "concrete" suspicious thing before then, Reiner noticing Ymir reading an old language, that even suggested that anything was going on with those two characters (well, two if you count them being from the same nebulously defined some-destroyed-village cover story as Annie). This was pretty much concurrent with the Ymir reveal, the new secret of Historia's relationship to the wall cult, monkey titan who wasn't like any of the others coming in and commanding? I think? a thought-to-be-impossible night attack, no breach in the wall, Connie's empty village with his mom turned into a pretty malformed titan that talks... It felt like it came pretty much out of nowhere after all that poo poo, especially compared to the pacing of the female-type/annie's adventures with the scouting legion arc.

Edit: This is also the first manga I've ever read, maybe I'm missing a genre convention of accelerating pace or something. I don't know, it just felt like where everything leading up to Annie's Last Stand and the Wall Titan reveal was evenly paced in terms of "amount of stuff happening per chapter" and lately it's been ramped up a ton, with a lot of unexplained stuff that only the author knows about assuming the author planned it all out in advance. I'm excited and looking forward to these questions being answered, but it's definitely picked up pace a hell of a lot.

I read it all at once, by the way, that might be affecting my perspective on the speed of events too. If you read it all over the span of a few hours it takes off like a rocket with regard to pacing and plot developments ever since Connie's village and Castle Utgard.

Is it just a play on words or something more significant, I wonder, that the titans who emerged from underground did so at Utgard, which in Norse mythology was the outland of the giants' keep, wherein Loki was chained? One and done reference or plot point, I don't even know anymore :cry:

Agreed fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Sep 21, 2013

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Mei Hikari posted:

I will be very surprised if the anime stays even close to faithful to that execution. They'll probably give full screen to the conversation and cut the screen with everyone's surprised reaction.

My dream handling of it would be to cut to Eren and them talking (have the others talking and you see them approach Eren in the background) they say they are the titans, then it cuts back to everyone else talking for a minute or two, and then Mikasa out of nowhere.

It would change the scene a bit, but would do well to keep the casual nature of the reveal, have it be quick enough that people have to go 'wait what' and go back to pause it, much like I had to go back and reread the page.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Pretty sure the anime is gonna end on the Walls are Titans thing.

Hikarusa
Sep 8, 2011

RBX posted:

Pretty sure the anime is gonna end on the Walls are Titans thing.

A lot of people have guessed that, but I sure as gently caress hope not. That might be a decent place to end an episode on, but the "Wall Rose has been breached" would be a legitimately great place to end the season on because it would actually show what the next season is gonna start off on and create legitimate, not instantly tossed aside interest. If they ended the season on the wall titan reveal, then when season two starts it'll just be "oh hey I won't tell you poo poo WALL ROSE HAS BEEN BREACHED gently caress THAT WALL TITAN poo poo", which would be incredibly stupid and horribly done.

Edit: Okay, better way to put it. It would literally cause season two to start with the ending of an arc that they could have easily finished up if they had wanted to. Which is just awful.

Hikarusa fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Sep 21, 2013

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

came across this the other day

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

.Clash posted:

came across this the other day

I'm hoping this is the last scene of the anime.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 30, 2017

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

JosephWongKS posted:

4. The appearance of Monkey Titan.

This is still me, I mean what in the actual gently caress. I would be Mike, I would be getting eaten just because I have no idea what just happened.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

PowFu posted:

Wall titans, Monkey Trouble and

I was also surprised when I realized Hanji was a girl, but not as much as Ymir. Probably because I wasn't expecting to be tricked twice, and I thought Ymir was a guy's name.

Am I literally the only person who thinks "ambiguous" anime character's genders are always completely obvious? I really don't get people who think Hanji is a dude or whatever.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Hikarusa posted:

A lot of people have guessed that, but I sure as gently caress hope not.

It's pretty likeley to be the ending point, given that there are two episodes left and there's the underground and Eren being told who they think the Female Titan is for one episode, then the Eren/Annie fight for the last one.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

PowFu posted:

Hanji isn't a girl.

Prison Warden posted:

Am I literally the only person who thinks "ambiguous" anime character's genders are always completely obvious? I really don't get people who think Hanji is a dude or whatever.

I also thought unambiguously that it was a girl, but Isayama has stated that they are gender-queer. Or at least that's what I heard, I cannot seem to find the source anywhere. (I also can't seem to find the source that said he stated that Ymir and Christa were an official couple)

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Shadow0 posted:

Hanji isn't a girl.

I also thought unambiguously that it was a girl, but Isayama has stated that they are gender-queer. Or at least that's what I heard, I cannot seem to find the source anywhere. (I also can't seem to find the source that said he stated that Ymir and Christa were an official couple)

Yes she is

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Shadow0 posted:

Actually, Isayama's never said anything at all with regards to Hanji's gender identity. He steadfastly refuses to answer the question, which led people to start identifying them as gender neutral. He also, I believe, OK'ed Kodansha USA gendering them as a woman for the English releases so odds are that either Hanji's supposed to identify as female, or Isayama doesn't really care too much on the subject.

Also I don't know if there's anything to suggest that Ymir and Christa are a couple, just that there's been official confirmation that Ymir is in love with her.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Shadow0 posted:

Hanji isn't a girl.

No, Hange/Hanji was always supposed to be a woman (her first name is Zoe). The fans couldn't tell what her gender was when she was introduced because unless he draws the women with big eyes or eyelashes, it's sometimes hard to tell the gender of his characters. Japanese also doesn't use pronouns like english does, so people assumed otherwise.

He thought it was interesting that the fans started speculating she might be trans or simply masculine, but she is a woman. It doesn't matter if she was born with a dick - she's a woman. The end.

And yes, Isayama has confirmed that Ymir and Christa were a couple.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

No, Hange/Hanji was always supposed to be a woman (her first name is Zoe). The fans couldn't tell what her gender was when she was introduced because unless he draws the women with big eyes or eyelashes, it's sometimes hard to tell the gender of his characters. Japanese also doesn't use pronouns like english does, so people assumed otherwise.

He thought it was interesting that the fans started speculating she might be trans or simply masculine, but she is a woman. It doesn't matter if she was born with a dick - she's a woman. The end.

He also drew her in a schoolgirl outfit with Sawney protecting her.

Kild fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 21, 2013

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Actually Hanji's first name is Hanji; it was switched around in the official English release.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

Actually Hanji's first name is Hanji; it was switched around in the official English release.

I've heard someone explain that in some German-speaking countries, while family names are usually listed last, there are some areas where surnames are given first, and that in some rural areas in Germany, surnames are put before given names as possessives. It wouldn't be surprising if Hange is following the custom of one of those areas and Zoë really is her given name.

Apparently Hange is an old-fashioned, well established German surname, so if that's really her given name and she also has a name that's usually a given name for her surname, it would be very strange indeed.

Van Dine fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 21, 2013

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I'm hoping the anime ends on Sasquatch because it's sheer unadulterated What The gently caress.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Zorak posted:

I'm hoping the anime ends on Sasquatch because it's sheer unadulterated What The gently caress.

That would be the absolute best place to stop, yeah. The Wall Titan is cool, but gets dropped really quick and not really seen or brought up again and doesn't have any real meaningful impact on what's going on right now. The wall being breached would also work, thematically, wrapping back into the wall being breached at the beginning of the season, but feels less like a good "What The gently caress" cliffhanger and more of a "OH poo poo HERE WE GO AGAIN!" ploy.

But Sasquatch? Totally new thing, totally out of nowhere, and does have a little more play later on. And if we get more information on him here soon that would fit into the second season, it could wrap up pretty nicely.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Zorak posted:

Don't we have only two episodes left, one including a side story?

So, a rushed conclusion to the current arc, and then Ilse Langner for some reason?

Jackard fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 21, 2013

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

Van Dine posted:

Apparently Hange is an old-fashioned, well established German surname, so if that's really her given name and she also has a name that's usually a given name for her surname, it would be very strange indeed.

I've been under the impression that Hanji is just an incorrect romanization of the German given name "Hansi" (it uses the same kana as Hanji).

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Sue posted:

I've been under the impression that Hanji is just an incorrect romanization of the German given name "Hansi" (it uses the same kana as Hanji).

That would actually make sense. I can't see how anyone could look at hanji and go "Yeah, that sounds German alright". And Hansi is exactly the name I connect with the kind of rural Germany that still goes surname first (we are talking remote mountain village level here).

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

PowFu posted:

Ymir was a guy's name.

If by "guy" you mean "primordial hemaphrodite from whose corpse the universe was fashioned", then yes. :v:

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Sue posted:

That's possible, but the official version of the name is Hange, and not Hanji at all.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Sue posted:

I remember reading that it was supposed to be Hange, it was just the author mispronouncing it/writing it incorrectly. That might have been changed since there's a lot of engrish he's done that he wish he hadn't, like Attack on Titan should have been Advance of the Giants if I remember correctly.

The characters who got it worse were Levi and Erwin though. Both of them have horrible bastardizations within fan groups, even going as far as giving them weird names like Revaille or Irving.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
For me, the most shocking moment of the manga was YMIR-SAMA, and i also think that'd be the most perfect place to end the current anime season.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Wouldn't Ilse Langner be more appropriate to the start of season two than the end of season one?

Hikarusa
Sep 8, 2011
Ilse is getting an OVA episode.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 247 days!

Van Dine posted:

I've heard someone explain that in some German-speaking countries, while family names are usually listed last, there are some areas where surnames are given first, and that in some rural areas in Germany, surnames are put before given names as possessives. It wouldn't be surprising if Hange is following the custom of one of those areas and Zoë really is her given name.

Just in case this isn't known by 100% of the thread, "Surname Given-Name" is also how names are written in Japan.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Hodgepodge posted:

Just in case this isn't known by 100% of the thread, "Surname Given-Name" is also how names are written in Japan.

That's true. But I think it's largely irrelevant to Attack on Titan, where I believe almost all the character names are in Given-name Surname order even in the untranslated Japanese.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Van Dine posted:

Nothing about this makes sense. I haven't heard of any German speaking areas where the surname goes first, and even if there still are, no German speaking country uses the "ë" character anyways.

As for the second part: Hange is clearly an Americanization of what her name sounds like. Count me in as one of the people who thought at first that Hanji was supposed to be Hansi, as they sound very similar. Take that sound into English, and you get something like Hange.

Take Hange into German, and you get something that sounds completely different than the original name, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

HenryEx posted:

Nothing about this makes sense. I haven't heard of any German speaking areas where the surname goes first, and even if there still are, no German speaking country uses the "ë" character anyways.

As for the second part: Hange is clearly an Americanization of what her name sounds like.

I suspect the person I saw who explained that may have been relying on Wikipedia, because I just looked there and it says the same thing as they did. The pages on family names and the page on German family name etymology says more or less the same thing as they did, that parts of Austria and Alemannic-speaking areas regularly put family names first and some rural areas of Germany put family names first as possessives.

From a quick search, I've found some results for Hange used as a family name in France, Belgium and Germany, and among immigrants from Europe, but most of the results for Hange in Germany were written Hange with Hanche in brackets next to it. A different site lists a whole lot of Hanges arriving by boat in New York in the U.S. from Germany. Going by what you say, that use of Hange might well be an anglicanisation of a number of potential surnames.