Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'd buy like 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Think I might buy some bottle openers for some goons I know. Getting a quote for 30, I'll see how much they cost.
The price range was already quoted on the last page I believe, I'd put in for 5 if we got a lot of 100, simply so I'd never lose track of my little 8G grenade-etched drives. :3:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

coyo7e posted:

The price range was already quoted on the last page I believe, I'd put in for 5 if we got a lot of 100, simply so I'd never lose track of my little 8G grenade-etched drives. :3:
Apologies for double-posting however since this seems to be kind of all over the place, here goes nothing:

URL to Google sheet for order commitments https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlK7Y7khImkCdFZ0Nk9yeHNOUG1PUndhRmtzZnpPUVE&usp=sharing

If the guy who set up the form wanted to work with this I'd be really stoked, because I wanted more than one, and I don't particularly care about the size depending on how many I buy.. For instance I'd buy up to 2 32G drives for personal stuff, but up to 5 if we can get the price for a lot of 100 or more or if they were smaller.. Maybe if we organized it, we could order a large lot of a range of sizes and have someone distribute them since shipping wouldn't be much.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 21, 2013

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Think I might buy some bottle openers for some goons I know. Getting a quote for 30, I'll see how much they cost.

I have the quote, and a link to a google form to gauge interest. read the drat thread!

Thanks, Coyote.

Interest is already well past the 25 mark, and if they're genericized with the grenade, we can advert them in the beer threads too to get better pricing.

Actually, Coyote, you can take that down, I've got a number of people on my form for interest, it's here:

Google form for flashdrive bottle opener

Paladine_PSoT fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 21, 2013

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I went ahead and added myself to coyo7e's spreadsheet, even though I also filled out that form. :shobon:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Kyrosiris posted:

I went ahead and added myself to coyo7e's spreadsheet, even though I also filled out that form. :shobon:

Could you please print out and scan the form into Word?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Potato Alley posted:

Could you please print out and scan the form into Word?

That's way too much work; just take a picture with your cellphone, email it to yourself, print it, then fax that.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

New account password rules have come down from the company that bought my station. Maybe it is just me, but they seem a bit off.

quote:

Your password must include 3 of following four categories: uppercase letter, lowercase letter, number, symbol (!@#$& etc.).
Passwords must be 8 characters in length.
Passwords must be reset every 45 days and cannot be re-used until you have used 24 separate passwords.
Accounts locked out after 12 invalid logon attempts.
Account will automatically unlock after 15 minutes.
I'm glad my last day is next week, otherwise I'd get roped into helping deal with this mess.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
That's actually a pretty generous policy. My company does lockouts after 3 attempts, no automatic unlock.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Sorry, the part I thought was a bit much was the 45 day password expire and no reuse until you've used 24 different passwords. But the last owners didn't have anything like password expiration policy. I'm still using the same one from three years ago.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

diremonk posted:

Sorry, the part I thought was a bit much was the 45 day password expire and no reuse until you've used 24 different passwords. But the last owners didn't have anything like password expiration policy. I'm still using the same one from three years ago.

That's pretty reasonable though?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
The funny thing is that it almost guarantees that passwords will be in the form of P@ckers1 P@ckers2 P@ckers3...

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The funny thing is that it almost guarantees that passwords will be in the form of P@ckers1 P@ckers2 P@ckers3...

I guess this is slightly preferrable to "packers", "packers", "packers".

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I have the quote, and a link to a google form to gauge interest. read the drat thread!

Thanks, Coyote.

Interest is already well past the 25 mark, and if they're genericized with the grenade, we can advert them in the beer threads too to get better pricing.

Actually, Coyote, you can take that down, I've got a number of people on my form for interest, it's here:

Google form for flashdrive bottle opener

I read this thread a lot and I just wanted to say that I'm definitely in this for a 16GB drive because why the hell not. Thanks for doing this!

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

diremonk posted:

New account password rules have come down from the company that bought my station. Maybe it is just me, but they seem a bit off.

Password must be 8 characters, cannot reuse the last 24 passwords? I assume you're storing them in plaintext and using crypt() somewhere. At least you allow symbols.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Ephphatha posted:

Password must be 8 characters, cannot reuse the last 24 passwords? I assume you're storing them in plaintext and using crypt() somewhere. At least you allow symbols.

Or some old sysadmin was taught that passwords should be no longer than 8 characters back in the day because of crypt(), got promoted into management, and now mandates the same policy.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

coyo7e posted:

I've test-driven this guy for a couple rounds and here's my professional review:

1) the keychain ring sucks. And the hole to loop it through is sketchy-small for other, larger keyrings. This is what I assume will cost me to lose my thumb drive somewhere!

Yeah, that's fair. I'd rather put my sturdy keyring through the actual aluminium body. Like you say, you could drill that out a tiny bit to make that happen. I'm okay with that.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

That's actually a pretty generous policy. My company does lockouts after 3 attempts, no automatic unlock.

I pushed for no automatic unlock at my org, but the reasoning was if you hit the 6 attempt limit you either a) forgot your password and are going to call our 24/7 helpdesk for a password reset anyway, or b) are trying to break into someone's account in which case why let them try again after half an hour?

I think we went with 30 minute lockout.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Is there any chance that you can get one of those Drives shipped to Europe for less then ludicrous cost?

Sundayturks
May 31, 2011

You were expecting...Sandy Claws?

Fun Shoe
^^ Also curious about this. I need a new USB key since my nigh-indestructable Sandisk gave up the ghost after 7 years.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

dennyk posted:

A lot of people really don't do poo poo on their computer but check their email and maybe surf the web with a single browser tab, which doesn't use much memory. Even if it does happen to encounter uncorrectable errors from a bad DIMM, it will probably just cause the current application to crash, which most non-technical people won't think twice about unless it happens really frequently. I'd guess a full Windows install uses quite a bit more memory and is therefore more likely to have an issue with a flaky DIMM, and of course when it has a problem, the whole install dies.

This poo poo was one of the reasons Vista got such a bad rep back in the day.

Loads of XP machines in exactly this state, especially in the enthusiast/ricer community running overclocked rigs that were mostly stable on XP.

Oh poo poo all 4GB of RAM is now being used to cache poo poo, only it's faulty RAM so your apps are broken before they've even loaded, therefore Vista is poo poo and crashes all the time.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Our CEO mandated that passwords never expire so yep, they don't. A lot of passwords are default of username123.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

You should get it etched with "In case of emergency, please do the needful" and an arrow to the opener.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The Information Security Officer at the university I work for seems to be trying something new with passwords this year.

quote:

Password expiration will be extended from 120 days to 365 days. The minimum requirements for mixed case, numbers, and special characters will be removed, but their use is still encouraged. The removal of these requirements will allow for the easier use of a "passphrase", or sequences of words, rather than a hard to remember and hard to type random password string. Even with the removal of these minimum requirements, the overall strength of passwords will in fact be increased to NIST Level 2 standards by setting the minimum length to 16 characters.

When deciding on a passphrase, you should give some thought to what you would like your new passphrase to be prior to going to the password change page. Phrases should be easy to remember and easy to type, and should be sufficiently random as to make their guessing unlikely. One way to do this would be to randomly select a word from a dictionary and then build a phrase using that word. For example, using the word "turnip" a possible passphrase might be "Turnipsarebitter!" or "Turnips are bitter!". Spaces in passphrases will be allowed, depending on your preference. Passphrases built on personal information, such as "mydogsnameisfido", should be avoided.

I'm hoping it actually deal a blow to the password!123 type passwords.

This is in contrast to the worst password policy I've ever seen, that of my ISP, which gives everyone the same default password and encourages them to change it, but does not mandate it.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

diremonk posted:

quote:

• Your password must include 3 of following four categories: uppercase letter, lowercase letter, number, symbol (!@#$& etc.).
  • Passwords must be 8 characters in length.
  • Passwords must be reset every 45 days and cannot be re-used until you have used 24 separate passwords.
  • Accounts locked out after 12 invalid logon attempts.
  • Account will automatically unlock after 15 minutes.
I'm glad my last day is next week, otherwise I'd get roped into helping deal with this mess.
I've seen this exact password policy in place... but with a full exception on every point for C-level employees, because they can't be bothered.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Vin BioEthanol posted:

What kind of geeks are you that you don't have a multi-tool on your person at all times?

Leatherman micra here on keychain, I found it under a raised floor 10ish years ago in building we took over. And a backup / SHTF swiss key in my wallet. Big fat Gerber is in the glove box.

I'm the only one in the IT department that carries one. They're incredibly useful. Often saves me a trip back to the office for a screw driver or scissors.

Oh, goddammit... Got called in to work about Cardio images not crossing over to heartlab. Look at their image server and 2 out of 5 drives in RAID5 array are now being seen as foreign. We've told the director on many occasions that this server is having issues and that they need to renew their service contract with Agfa, yet they haven't.

Even though we technically shouldn't be responsible for the upkeep on this server, I'm betting they're gonna start pointing fingers.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

diremonk posted:

quote:

Passwords must be 8 characters in length.

Can't be above 8 in length? That would piss me the hell off.

Sirveaux
Aug 26, 2004
<=>

diremonk posted:

I'm still using the same one from three years ago.

Amateur! :v:

Screenshot from our university network.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Migishu posted:

Can't be above 8 in length? That would piss me the hell off.
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure my hospital office IT also enforces either 5 or 8 exact for low(ish) and high(ish) security accounts respectively. So yeah, anyone with access to drug order forms, medical records and more has exactly 8 symbols in their password. Isn't exactly hard to even rainbowtable that.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
E: Me dumb, can't read thread.

Added myself to the form and spreadsheet.

Comradephate fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 21, 2013

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Wow, that's a lot of interest. We're up to 70...

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

You should get it etched with "In case of emergency, please do the needful" and an arrow to the opener.

A SA grenade would be neat but this is loving hilarious and perfect for anyone in IT.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Bobulus posted:

The Information Security Officer at the university I work for seems to be trying something new with passwords this year.

I'm hoping it actually deal a blow to the password!123 type passwords.

You all know that's going to end with "passwordpassword" as 50%+ of the passwords. 16 characters, full compliance. There's a reason that special characters are encouraged, after all.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Volmarias posted:

You all know that's going to end with "passwordpassword" as 50%+ of the passwords. 16 characters, full compliance. There's a reason that special characters are encouraged, after all.

We check our user's passwords about one a year, shaming the ones that have weak passwords and holding a draw for a gift cards for the ones that we can't break.

Their passwords all still suck but this stops the worst of them.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Sirveaux posted:

Amateur! :v:

Screenshot from our university network.

UPDATE employee SET password_expires = '2099-01-01' WHERE employee_id = 'Caconym' :smug:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Most of our internal tools, we can't change our passwords. Management creates the user accounts and won't change the password away from default, which is always easily guessable. When I asked "how do I change the password for *ticketing system*", I was met with a "why would you want to do that?". This is in a workplace that is so boring, nobody has anything better to do than stab each other in the back.

We do have one tool that will let me change the password myself. Of course, every time I do, it will just magically stop working after five days (happened to me both times I tried to change it). And for that tool, management doesn't even handle the accounts, we have to get the vendor to reset the password themselves.

Sometimes I wonder about this place.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

We check our user's passwords about one a year, shaming the ones that have weak passwords and holding a draw for a gift cards for the ones that we can't break.

Their passwords all still suck but this stops the worst of them.

I'm morbidly curious how you're doing this.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
Users trying to get different results by going to different agents.
We've got this old lovely delphi program, EOL:ed in 2004 or something that just won't find any printers in win7.
I told the user it's impossible, short of running it on an old xp or something but there are non available, so we moved over to a new web-based version of the program.

I had my friday off and (stupidly) checked my mail to see that user had called again to complain that printing doesn't work and my boss assigned the ticket to me.

Also,
People who don't respond to emails:
Emailed a supplier with questions about their hardware, no response. Waited three days and emailed the european section of supplier with the same question, no response. We have a global IT guy who supposedly knows this hardware but he had no idea when i asked him.

People who do respond to emails but do so with lovely attitude and also cc managers / people who shouldn't have to get dragged into the discussion:
User called me with a request for changes in current product, i entered a low-priority ticket. My boss saw it and answered the user with "we're developing a web-based solution shortly, is it really worth putting time into changing current product?", also cc:ing her boss (this step is fine, he should know).

User responds with a few smileys and suggests that "shortly" means almost a year for us, again with smileys.
Users boss then adds into the conversation complaining really douchy and cc:s the #2 guy in the office, saying he has no idea when the web-based thing will be finished and complains that this is really important (it isn't, if users ignore using this because they have to copy a single number from another file then they're just lazy and use this as an excuse to not do their job), and that we maybe should buy a finished product elsewhere.

My boss called him up directly and said "About this deadline, we said end of october, yes end of october. No we said that in the meeting, you know the meeting you attended"
I would have just told him to gently caress off.

(user then responded again with "i was just kidding about the long time to develop things, i know you're busy and i didn't want to act like a douche like her boss did")

Volmarias posted:

I'm morbidly curious how you're doing this.
L0pthcrack?

KweezNArt
Jul 30, 2007

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

"THIS IS AFFECTING PRODUCTION!!" -->

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

KweezNArt posted:

"THIS IS AFFECTING PRODUCTION!!" -->

It's impacting deliverables.

• Locked thread