Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

Diafthora posted:

Can you elaborate with some step by step info on this?

Hopefully I'll have more info soon. I just got my device whitelisted for testing. Basically I'm going to to write a server that transcodes files via ffmpeg into a format the Chromecast can actually read. Typically that means converting the audio to AAC.

I'll eventually have a simple video player app on the Chromecast that simply takes a video URL and plays it through a native HTML5 pride player.

I'm having trouble getting ffmpeg to write an mp4 file to a piped stream because the format requires modifying the file header when the transcoding has completed. I may try to write the piped output in chunks and stream the chunks out. Who knows, something is bound to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
Has anyone gotten a problem in Chrome where it just re-downloads the file you're trying to play in a tab?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Happened a few times with files I don't think Chrome can read.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Ethereal posted:

Hopefully I'll have more info soon. I just got my device whitelisted for testing. Basically I'm going to to write a server that transcodes files via ffmpeg into a format the Chromecast can actually read. Typically that means converting the audio to AAC.

I'll eventually have a simple video player app on the Chromecast that simply takes a video URL and plays it through a native HTML5 pride player.

I'm having trouble getting ffmpeg to write an mp4 file to a piped stream because the format requires modifying the file header when the transcoding has completed. I may try to write the piped output in chunks and stream the chunks out. Who knows, something is bound to work.

Wish I could understand that :ohdear:
Mine should arrive tomorrow, Im hoping I dont have too many issues with video streaming.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

Zeike posted:

Wish I could understand that :ohdear:
Mine should arrive tomorrow, Im hoping I dont have too many issues with video streaming.

Well I've got audio transcoding working! I can get an MKV video to play via the HTML5 video tag in a page. Now I just need to get the simple html file onto my chromecast and it should be good.

Edit: It seems that just simply casting the tab from my laptop works perfectly fine. I'll try to get a basic set of instructions and repository to download the app from tomorrow night.

Ethereal fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 16, 2013

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ethereal posted:

Edit: It seems that just simply casting the tab from my laptop works perfectly fine. I'll try to get a basic set of instructions and repository to download the app from tomorrow night.

Sweet, looking forward to testing it out :dance:

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
Chromecast arrived today, cant even connect to my network :negative:
I looked it up and a lot of people have that issue, gonna have to do some troubleshooting tomorrow.

oye como va
Oct 25, 2005
:slick:
I finally got mine about a week ago and we've only used it with Netflix in the bedroom. It works great for that and I'm looking forward to other apps.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I've ended up hardly using this thing. Its just too problematic with my setup apparently. Looking forward to Ethereal's little hack.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!
I snagged one at a local Best Buy this weekend, works like a champ! Setup in 5 minutes, streaming HD Netflix a minute later. I've only used it for netflix, but as oye como va (Tito Puentes!) says, i'm looking forward to other app integration.

All in all, I love this thing.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
It's finally made me use Netflix. Already sitting on the couch with an ipad, it's just easy to throw a "rerun" on, even though I have an HTPC full of stuff.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003
Alright everyone, here is my basic sort of transcoder for the Chromecast. It's pretty straightforward and only works with a single file. If you know Node and want to contribute, or if you are a web designer and want to build a cool UI, feel free to.

https://github.com/maherbeg/mkvcast

There aren't any instructions for other OS's, but the basic gist is that you need to install ffmpeg and NodeJS, run npm to install this files dependencies and then go. If someone wants to write instructions for other platforms, feel free!

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
Chromecast is in desperate need of a moving home screen or a screensaver when not in use. I found this out after falling asleep while watching a youtube video last night.

(Ask me how much I like having "Ready to Cast" layered over all my TV watching)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Viper_3000 posted:

Chromecast is in desperate need of a moving home screen or a screensaver when not in use. I found this out after falling asleep while watching a youtube video last night.

Weird, my Chromecast swaps out wallpapers and moves around the home screen content every now and then. Does yours not do that?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Viper_3000 posted:

Are you using a projection screen TV from like 10 years ago? I didn't think burn in was still a thing.

Jorbe
Jul 29, 2006
I don't think the screen that comes up after watching a YouTube video moves around. Could be wrong though. I've got burn in a few times on my plasma from it. Nothing that stays around for long but so far I've been able to not leave it on for long without something playing.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
Plasma TVs are still potentially subject to burn-in. With LCDs, it's generally not an issue.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

RZA Encryption posted:

Are you using a projection screen TV from like 10 years ago? I didn't think burn in was still a thing.

LCD from around 3-5 years ago.

Nihiliste posted:

Plasma TVs are still potentially subject to burn-in. With LCDs, it's generally not an issue.

It is an issue still but it's technically not called burn in as there's nothing to burn. I'm playing a loop of static trying to correct it now. Hopefully it'll come undone in the next day or so.

Jorbe posted:

I don't think the screen that comes up after watching a YouTube video moves around. Could be wrong though. I've got burn in a few times on my plasma from it. Nothing that stays around for long but so far I've been able to not leave it on for long without something playing.

Yes. The "Ready to Cast" text doesn't move at all. The background changes I think though.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Viper_3000 posted:

Yes. The "Ready to Cast" text doesn't move at all. The background changes I think though.

The "Ready to cast" text periodically disappears from the home screen if you leave it on. I know this because my office TV is always on the Chromecast home screen when not in use.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I was in the states the other day and finally picked one of these up at a Best Buy. Had my doubts about how easy this would be to set up for use in Canada, but turns out it was incredibly easy and it works amazingly well. Only tried Youtube and Netflix so far, but it's pretty loving awesome for $35.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

teagone posted:

The "Ready to cast" text periodically disappears from the home screen if you leave it on. I know this because my office TV is always on the Chromecast home screen when not in use.

I'd love it if after a while all of the text disappears and it just goes through all the pretty wallpapers. And maybe have support for custom wallpapers too.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yeah, I have seen the "Ready To Cast" move slightly around the screen along with the wallpaper changing. It doesn't bounce all over like a Windows 95 screensaver, but it doesn't stay in the exact same place all the time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'd love to see some flying toasters up on my tv when the CC is idle.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Rhyno posted:

I'd love to see some flying toasters up on my tv when the CC is idle.

Lunatic Fringe, phone/tablet as a controller.

:allears:

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012
So I just noticed that if I'm playing something on Netflix via the PS3 app, I get Chromecast quick controls in the notification drawer on my tablet that allow me to pause, rewind 10 seconds, and stop playing. How long has that been a thing? 'Cause that is awesome.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Casyl posted:

So I just noticed that if I'm playing something on Netflix via the PS3 app, I get Chromecast quick controls in the notification drawer on my tablet that allow me to pause, rewind 10 seconds, and stop playing. How long has that been a thing? 'Cause that is awesome.

If you mean how long have you been able to cast things from your device's youtube or Netflix app to your ps3, the answer is a very long time.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Casyl posted:

I also just noticed that today, so it was probably recent (that or we're both just bad at noticing notification changes). It's a much-welcomed addition.

Rand McNally
May 20, 2007
Are these generally back in stock? I'm heading over to the States tomorrow and would like to pick one up, but am doubting the local Best Buy will have them because other Canadians close to the border probably have the same idea.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I picked one up at Best Buy a couple weeks ago, you just gotta call and make sure.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Rand McNally posted:

Are these generally back in stock? I'm heading over to the States tomorrow and would like to pick one up, but am doubting the local Best Buy will have them because other Canadians close to the border probably have the same idea.

No idea where you are, but the Best Buy in Bellingham where I went had tons. I'm pretty sure everyone there buying one was a Canadian like me too.

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.

Rand McNally posted:

I ordered a second one from Amazon recently and it only took a week and a half to show up, they seem to be catching up with demand.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Probably fewer people ordering a bunch to try and game the Netflix promo now that that's over.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Well, after fighting to fix the audio issues I was having with my chromecast (unlistenable stuttering) someone suggested it might be a bad unit, so I returned it. Grabbed another today...and same thing. Is there a particular wireless security type that it doesn't like? I'm on a 2.4Ghz router, so should I change to a different channel?

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

XIII posted:

Well, after fighting to fix the audio issues I was having with my chromecast (unlistenable stuttering) someone suggested it might be a bad unit, so I returned it. Grabbed another today...and same thing. Is there a particular wireless security type that it doesn't like? I'm on a 2.4Ghz router, so should I change to a different channel?

Does it only do it when casting from a tab? How does it work when casting a youtube video or netflix video with the app?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Shadowgate posted:

Does it only do it when casting from a tab? How does it work when casting a youtube video or netflix video with the app?

Casting from the YouTube and Play Music apps result in trash audio. I get about 0.5 seconds worth of sound every 3-5 seconds. Video seems fine. From Netflix, the video is okay, but the audio stutters every 2-3 seconds for the first minute or so, then smooths out (not terrible, but still pretty frustrating). Casting a local video in a Chrome tab seems to be okay (only tried with a short clip). If I get crazy and cast a YouTube tab, the audio isn't bad, but the video is choppy. I have a 60Mbps connection and my tv is less than a foot from my router.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

XIII posted:

Casting from the YouTube and Play Music apps result in trash audio. I get about 0.5 seconds worth of sound every 3-5 seconds. Video seems fine. From Netflix, the video is okay, but the audio stutters every 2-3 seconds for the first minute or so, then smooths out (not terrible, but still pretty frustrating). Casting a local video in a Chrome tab seems to be okay (only tried with a short clip). If I get crazy and cast a YouTube tab, the audio isn't bad, but the video is choppy. I have a 60Mbps connection and my tv is less than a foot from my router.

It sounds like a wifi issue then. I would certainly try changing the wifi channel, there may be too much interference even with them being in close proximity.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Shadowgate posted:

It sounds like a wifi issue then. I would certainly try changing the wifi channel, there may be too much interference even with them being in close proximity.

I installed WiFi Analyzer and the channel I was on rated at 9/10 stars, occasionally bumping to 10/10. Channel 11 rated 10/10 pretty much 100% of the time. I just switched over, but I doubt there will be any change.

EDIT: No change.

XIII fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 22, 2013

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

XIII posted:

I installed WiFi Analyzer and the channel I was on rated at 9/10 stars, occasionally bumping to 10/10. Channel 11 rated 10/10 pretty much 100% of the time. I just switched over, but I doubt there will be any change.

EDIT: No change.

What router are you using? It has to be a wifi issue at this point since you've exchanged it already. What security method as well? Try it without security on and see if that fixes it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Disabled the security. No change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

What wireless router do you have?

• Locked thread