Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Electromagnetism is overpowered. So providing she had the proper knowledge and could stay conscience, why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Redcrimson posted:

So, random thought I had this episode: do you think Misaka can defibrillate her own heart like that guy from One Piece?
More than likely it's possible. Granted, as she herself says in the episode, the whole "electro nerve override" (for a lack of better terms) was something Misaka had never done before. She did imply that the thought had crossed her mind in the past; but as we saw with Kuroko minutes later, it turns Misaka into a taser with legs. I have a feeling that if she tried Enel's defibrillation technique, Misaka would again turn into a human stun gun as a side effect.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Haha, this show can be incredibly dumb just to contrive its reasons for action.

We have evidence that an organisation is going to carry out a large scale terrorist attack from the location of some suspiciously large shipping containers, we're going to wait for them to activate before we start smashing them.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phobophilia posted:

Haha, this show can be incredibly dumb just to contrive its reasons for action.

We have evidence that an organisation is going to carry out a large scale terrorist attack from the location of some suspiciously large shipping containers, we're going to wait for them to activate before we start smashing them.

They need to wait for them to activate so that they can track the location of Febri's sister. I mean, that's contrived too, but it's not "dumb" within the context of the plot.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
I try to not go out of my way to poke holes when watching a show that takes place in the Indexverse. There are many things which don't make sense and probably never will. To me, Index and it's various spin offs will always be a bunch of great ideas, but mixed in with a needlessly confusing story.

Watching the movie for example, very little about that made any sense. I still enjoyed it on the merits of having great visuals, sound, and action.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

JosephWongKS posted:

They need to wait for them to activate so that they can track the location of Febri's sister. I mean, that's contrived too, but it's not "dumb" within the context of the plot.

STUDY also has Anti-Skill in their pocket, so if Misaka and crew initiated an attack, they would be apprehended long before they could destroy all the robots. Sure, you can still poke holes in the logic, but it is still a fairly reasonable conclusion.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
In Academy City, law enforcement is subordinate to mad science, so no surprise at all there that they aren't allowed to act. You could get some interesting data from seeing how it turns out.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I don't know. I see the big "theme" of this storyline being that Mikoto needs to learn to rely on her friends more, and she does. The storyline starts with the Sisters arc, in which Touma is the hero, Mikoto learns to begin to rely on others. She can't solve all the problems herself. Staying just within her immediate circle of friends and influences, Mikoto has begun to build her own "faction" to save the day regarding STUDY's evil scheme.

Although, I'm not entirely sure I understand why STUDY is doing what they're doing. I think they have some kind of axe to grind because espers, especially high-level espers, get all the attention. It doesn't really explain exactly what they're doing and why, though.

It's good to see Mikoto grow along with her friends.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
It's not like STUDY knows why Academy City mainly cares about espers. Ultimately, even if their experiment shows result, it wouldn't change things, because what Crowley needs is esper power to change reality itself. He needs smart people only because they can build towards that.

And besides, the Kiharas are way better at mad science.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Whew, finally caught up on the last 5 or 6 eps. poo poo is happening!

Also thanks to whoever mentioned the Index movie a few pages ago, I didn't know about that. And it was p. decent.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Honestly, I've found the whole thing idiotic, as STUDY's entire motivation is bullshit. Espers are effectively glorified lab rats and/or tools in Academy City, with businessmen and scientists are the ones with the real power and who control everything. Arguing that they're only high school students and don't know that doesn't hold up very well either, as anyone connected to the Dark Side of the city should be well aware of that fact.

The plot of having Mikoto beginning to rely more on her friends is a decent idea, but when the arc is this eye-rolling, it's hard to really care.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
No big surprise there, considering this is an anime-only arc. That said, I think I like it better than the one in the first season if only because it involves tying up a loose end (Shinobu) from the manga that I did kinda sorta care about.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
It isn't really about power, though, it's about public recognition. Aritomi isn't satisfied living under the espers' shadow.

The entire project is in service of Aritomi's ego, basically. That's a realistic enough motivation for me. Think about how pissed he was when Kihara Gensei dismissed his ideas.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 22, 2013

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Lord Koth posted:

Honestly, I've found the whole thing idiotic, as STUDY's entire motivation is bullshit.

Aritomi feels slighted because he's insanely conceited and convinced of his own superiority. It's not so much a bullshit motivation as it is painfully generic. The whole "I feel wronged by the world, therefore I will destroy the world" schtick is one of the laziest and most tired villain cliches out there.

Redcrimson fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 22, 2013

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
You know poo poo is going down when Saten brings out the bat.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Stall_19 posted:

You know poo poo is going down when Saten brings out the bat.

I still wonder what the hell she thought she could do to the space elevator supports with a bat. At least here she might help guard Uiharu's back while Uiharu commands her robot legions.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'm still surprised at how good this season it. I only watched the first season this year which was really silly and fraught with fanservice, but it had enough cool ideas to keep me interested. This season is far more than just entertaining, it's one of the better shows I've seen this year. Personally, I like this ark a bit better than the Sisters arc just because everyone's involved this time around.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 28, 2013

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
The lasts episode was certainly something. It was a little too wacky for me with a huge battle with lower level espers but no one seemed to get hurt even when bullets started to fly, a giant transforming robot which Saten could pilot with masterful skill for some reason, and a convenient plot device so everyone forgets about the whole thing. It also tried to shoe horn every character in which seemed kind of awkward.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
The subs are really late this week for some reason.

EDIT: Apparently the subbers had some schedule conflicts.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Sep 29, 2013

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor
Armed Forces, Time-Space Administration Bureau
I have... (almost) no complaints about this episode. It was :hellyeah: as gently caress.

Other than the Sisters still not getting any part of the action, but that's sadly understandable given the circumstances. The revelation about 19090 sort of makes up for that, though. Nice callback, should've seen that coming. Judgement have riot shields! Misaka really does create the rail potential fields in midair! Payoff on the line in the manga about Kongou Mitsuko being able to launch radio transmission towers giant robots into orbit with sufficient ejection points! Wannai and Awatsuki being the loving awesome sidekick power team together, as usual! Kuroko being beyond-the-impossible ridiculous levels of overpowered!

Raildex is now officially on a pattern of having main characters deorbit safely without spacesuits, and Misaka/Kuroko can't even blame it on being nigh-invulnerable Saints, she had to somehow teleport them down 60+ km before dying of asphyxiation. But that's clearly okay, that's only >15 times/second sustained for over a minute, we saw similar rates in the first episode of this season. But she did get to finally be immediately useful to her onee-sama :shobon:

THE VERY LAST LINE IS LIBERAL ARTS CITY TEASING! AGAIN!

Good thing this show is economically successful and further sequels are more certain than earthquakes in Japan, or I'd be seriously mad right now.

Zettace posted:

The lasts episode was certainly something. It was a little too wacky for me with a huge battle with lower level espers but no one seemed to get hurt even when bullets started to fly, a giant transforming robot which Saten could pilot with masterful skill for some reason, and a convenient plot device so everyone forgets about the whole thing. It also tried to shoe horn every character in which seemed kind of awkward.

The more amazing part is they also managed to squeeze in four fripSide songs. True to the topic title to the end!

And well, she spent all last episode reading the operating manual for said giant transforming robot, and she is the local badass normal, of course she could get away with that!

Also, I took it that she only hacked Nonotuba Shinobu's criminal record & sucked up to Misaki to get her to memory-hack the relevant officials, not that she wiped the entirety of Judgement + auxiliaries.

And it wasn't nearly as bad as Endymion no Kiseki as far as shoe-horning in characters, take my word for it.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The last episode was dumb and contrived as gently caress, but so awesomely over-the-top fun that I forgive it all its faults.

Torix
Nov 9, 2005

It's super dumb how they spend time introducing a character at the beginning of the season with the potential to be a GREAT antagonist and cause some serious drama (can mind control anybody, people she controls have no memory of what happens, clearly hates the protagonist Misaka) and then they forget the character exists for the whole show until one single shot at the end of the last episode that basically says "oh yeah they became friends offscreen".

Maybe more things happen in a manga/novel but I dunno.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Torix posted:

It's super dumb how they spend time introducing a character at the beginning of the season with the potential to be a GREAT antagonist and cause some serious drama (can mind control anybody, people she controls have no memory of what happens, clearly hates the protagonist Misaka) and then they forget the character exists for the whole show until one single shot at the end of the last episode that basically says "oh yeah they became friends offscreen".

That's because Mental Out isn't introduced yet in the manga/light novels. Hell, Kongo herself isn't supposed to appear until the next major Railgun arc. So, the fact that both Kongo and Misaki are here is pure fanservice, nothing more than that. Oh, and Mental Out and Misaka don't become friends offscreen. That's more of Misaka begrudgingly asking Mental Out for a favor because the latter has esper powers that are valuable to what Misaka is trying to do. There's a later arc where Misaki does kind of become antagonistic, but not. It's...complicated and would take a while to explain.

In short, Mental Out/Misaki is basically this season's version of Kongo, a preview of things to come. Except we're probably going to have to wait longer for Mental Out to be relevant.

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor

Torix posted:

They imported her from way later in the manga just to be able to have that scene, apparently, just like they imported Kongou Mitsuko (but that turned out alright!) It's very atypical of their usual relationship (which is forever just as shown in that first episode — belligerent.) It does work, if you read it with a forgiving eye, if you take it as another example of this second arc's "Misaka develops the ability to ask for help" theme. There's an ongoing arc in the manga that is way too unfinished for an anime adaption in at least a year—but is otherwise utterly spectacularly crazy—that develops their relationship in a fairly unexpected direction. But I'll grant that the anime taken in isolation isn't all that well-written. It's a typical show for the already-fans, as this thread amply demonstrates.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
A very fun season, while I enjoyed the first season, season two was a much better package. Of course things are contrived and not all well thought out when you think about it for a bit. This is pretty much standard for the Toaru franchise and I don't think any of us familiar with it expected any different.

The fight scenes delivered and I look forward to re-watching the entire second season on bluray, because obviously TV encodes don't do it justice. For me at least, one of the better parts of the Toaru franchise is how clever they sometimes get with power usage, far more clever than a lot of other franchises which have super powers.

So I take it we'll have another 2 or 3 year gap before we see Railgun SS (or whatever they call it)? For that matter have we heard any confirmation for Index III yet? I'm going to assume that's in the works, from the little I've read up on it, people say that regardless of stupidity it should be really fun to watch animated.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

That episode was cheesy as gently caress. But I guess I'm just a sucker for that kind of thing because it was completely awesome. Kongou seriously needs her own spin-off manga.

Also, sequel baiting during the end credits? Not cool, JC Staff. Not cool.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

The only news, which I think has already been mentioned in this thread, is that Accelerator is getting his own manga. Otherwise, the latest light novel was released earlier this month. I imagine there will be another Index and also more Railgun animes in the future. Looks like a cash cow.

Also, Mikoto and Shokuhou Misaki (Mental Out) absolutely don't get along, at all. The fact that they cooperated for this particular anime ending is a one-off fluke.

There is a ton of mystery surrounding Shokuhou, so that means we're in for a lot of interesting scenes, if the author ever reveals the information.

Once again, though, the action was over the top. Interesting to see how they dealt with Shinobu. I recall a decent amount of discussion regarding what happened to her in this forum. I think a lot of people liked her character and wondered what happened. The writer did a good job handling this issue, I think.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That was a great ending. I was especially hoping the sisters and Shinobu would get closure.

I also hope every arc ends with Misaka railgunning something ridiculously huge.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Dan7el posted:

The only news, which I think has already been mentioned in this thread, is that Accelerator is getting his own manga. Otherwise, the latest light novel was released earlier this month. I imagine there will be another Index and also more Railgun animes in the future. Looks like a cash cow.
Glad to hear that Kuroko's VA will have plenty of work in the future. :)

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Dan7el posted:

Its basically K-ON! with giant robots and explosions.

I'm not complaining.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

You know, I just realized something. The Ekaterina II S and the STUDY mechs just gave Railgun an excuse to star in Super Robot Wars. Before you laugh me off, I'd like to point out that the recently released Operation Extend features Sgt. Frog with their own God Keron and Powered Natsumi (okay, she's a special attack and not a unit, but still).

Granted, Sgt. Frog has a lot of Gunpla in-jokes that let it squeak in. Hell, one of the units Keroro can use is literally a giant sized version of the Perfect Grade RX-78-2 model kit (sadly Amuro cannot use it). So, while Railgun appearing is a pipe dream....Banpresto now has ammunition.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Well that was all incredibly silly. Best part was seeing a badass Kuroko.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Redcrimson posted:

That episode was cheesy as gently caress. But I guess I'm just a sucker for that kind of thing because it was completely awesome. Kongou seriously needs her own spin-off manga.

So that makes at least three potential spin-offs from the Railgun series (itself a spin-off of the Index series):

1. A Certain Sarcastic Hivemind (Sisters)

2. A Certain Haughty Ojou-sama (Kongou)

3. A Certain AMAZING Punch (Gunha)

Any others I've missed?

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
A Certain Sugoi ~Uguu~ (Febri)

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

JosephWongKS posted:

So that makes at least three potential spin-offs from the Railgun series (itself a spin-off of the Index series):

Any others I've missed?

A Certain Obsessed Teleporter

A Certain Psychopathic Meltdowner

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

JosephWongKS posted:

Any others I've missed?
A Certain Humble Physician (Heaven's Canceler)*

*=Technically counts as an Index spinoff given his role in that series as well.

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor
I'll just leave this here (also EarthScorpion owns.)

http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/a-certain-droll-hivemind-a-certain-magical-index.268998/

quote:

Hell yes. I've been waiting for someone to try and make A Certain Sarcastic Hivemind (Alternate titles: My Little Sister Can't Possibly Be A Clone; Help! My Girlfriend Has 10000 Clones; Electric Warrior Maidens: The Misaka Wars)

Wolf on Air fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 30, 2013

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

It is unfortunate that it seems to be dead, it could have gone places.

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor
Well, that's how it goes with 'fic, it's not dead until declared so, but the impatience for updates will grind on you. My solution has been to read 25 ongoing at once to get frequent enough updates :v:

I could cite an example of one that took a decade from start to finish...

ES is juggling like four different ambitious ongoing projects at the moment, including cowriting the (excellent) Games rewrite of Nanoha, so I guess he's keeping himself busy.

I'll take the leftover space now that the show's over and the manga ain't updating for a while yet to re-advertise this rewrite project (TVtropes summary) as the only other worthwhile/written-by-someone-in-command-of-language A Certain Adjective Noun fan writing I'm aware of. I hereby make the (highly implausible but still true) claim that it manages to make both Touma and Index cool and relatable characters. And it's certainly high literature compared to the LNs.

Though I'll have to give Baka-Tsuki's LN translation credit for stringing together the sentence "This is the kind of cute girl a muscular festival of sweat and tears would imagine in his head."

Wolf on Air fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor
Manga issue 63 is out but not yet translated.

Mild spoilers unless you read runes

:f5:

Wolf on Air fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 1, 2013

• Locked thread