Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

OhYo posted:

What weapon did/will Danal be focusing on?

Considering his Dad, Danal will probably be wielding Danal as a weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uberwill
May 1, 2007

我的中文不是很好
M x 4 - All bow, all the time.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

OhYo posted:

What weapon did/will Danal be focusing on?
He spent some time playing with staffs, alongside you at the Temple of the Melachim, but he has not started to train with any weapons yet.

A Darker Porpoise posted:

Considering his Dad, Danal will probably be wielding Danal as a weapon.
Well when your blows have enough power behind them that they will shatter most weapons at full strength...

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Uberwill posted:

M x 4 - All bow, all the time.

I agree with this.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Edit out old spread sheet.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 22, 2013

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Diogines posted:

The English longbow does not exist.

Bows larger than existed for men in this "era" exist in Zepath. Few men use bows. They take a lot of time to learn, more than the average man wants to spend.

Bows suitable for use by men who can bench press cows exist, as do smaller more historically accurate bows.

That's all I wanted to hear.

Four votes for M, please. I look forward to us eventually becoming a human siege weapon with our mega bow capable of shooting arrows carved out of tree trunks

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Stabby was so important, not a lot of movement in the rest of the Big Kid vote. Here is what it looks like:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9zdemmlz8qf68z6/Big%20Kid%20Foci.pdf

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

1. How do you wear your beard?
C. Long and bushy, but neat.

2. There are many things which interest you. Did you continue to devote a large portion of your time to following after Tudiyah, or did you spend less time with him, to do other things?
B. I did not spend most of my time with Tudiyah, so vote on #3 instead.

3. I spent my time doing many things... I...
4:M. I spent my time doing other things. Fill in. If you have questions, just ask.
Worship the Creator. Be that El, of the stories we've known and mostly believed; it's the closest-to in the world we know. Worship the Creator in quiet prayer, praising song and study at the Temple in fellowship with other worshipers. Worship El by living a life worthy of El. Help others, young to old, rich or poor in Mercy, Wisdom, Justice and Artistry among other Ophanim foci pleasing to El.

4. With Naomi's betrothal broken...
B. I had feelings, but I kept them to myself

5. You look over the weapons and you pick...

Diogines posted:

He spent some time playing with staffs, alongside you at the Temple of the Melachim, but he has not started to train with any weapons yet.
This is why it's good to know Danal well. He'll likely choose something very direct like a sword or maybe axe. Our choice should compliment him, if we find ourselves in battle together. Medium spear and bow are high and close in votes. I fear 30%-40% bow votes wont give us nearly enough skill worth having, so I'll bump it up. Medium spear will still be good for a close-range weapon.

M. He did not show you a bow, but he has a friend who could train you. You pick a bow. Agamemnon told you that training to use a bow takes a great deal of practice.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Edit out old sheet.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 22, 2013

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

C x 4

Medium spear. Long enough to keep a man-sized monster back, short enough to throw at a monster we can't face head-on.

Plus, if we decided to go stabby to earn some respect in this culture, we'd best do it with a weapon they respect. I get the feeling that these guys, being all testosterone and machismo, don't think too highly of ranged combat.

Oi, Dio, how do these weapons fare as far as the proud warriors of Zepath are concerned? Is a man who knows only the bow considered cowardly compared to one who knows only the spear, for example? Does the Medium Spear have more favor due to Labras, even though the long spear wins more wars?

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

:frogsiren:Sogol:frogsiren:
Trying to make your life easier. Here is the sheet updated to UppaTree for weapon vote via google doc:

And here is the default templet Canuck gave us so long ago that made it happen:

GaiaFag
Jun 20, 2007
KING OF THE FURRIES (AUTOPILOT ON BITCH)
D.4
Let's learn the sword.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

HiHo ChiRho posted:

:frogsiren:Sogol:frogsiren:
Trying to make your life easier. Here is the sheet updated to UppaTree for weapon vote via google doc:

And here is the default templet Canuck gave us so long ago that made it happen:

Thank you. Can't do much with the templates on an ipad so thanks for grabbing it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Lord Tywin posted:

4 points in C , we need a weapon that is versatile so we can both go on adventures of our own and fight in battles and the medium spear looks like the most versatile weapon of them all.

This. We already know how to use a spear somewhat which will help us catch up, and with our eyesight we might be able to make some awesome shots if we get strong enough.

1. How do you wear your beard?
A. I don't! I cut it off. After thebig fish bullshit any thought of long hair is weird.

2: F. I want to learn how to fight!

4. With Naomi's betrothal broken...
B. I had feelings, but I kept them to myself. If she still has feeling for us she will know because that's how it works in the stories

Outrail fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 22, 2013

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
gently caress double post

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
M x 4

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Two spread sheets active:

Votes 1-4 (Beard, Tudiya, Activity Focus, Naomi)

Vote 5 (Weapon Focus)

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Can we try the bow first? I'm sure Aga has one lying around right now we can test.

Diogines posted:

You lift each weapon and feel it's weight for a moment. You take a few practice stabs and a few practice swings.

The javelins feel oddly familiar. They are heavier and shorter... but they are also like like the fishing spears you once used. Agamemnon warned you that some use them in close combat as well, but that such a use is only for the desperate and a certain death. You were rather good at spear fishing, but it has been several years.

The long spear feels awkward and odd in your hands.

The sword makes a highly satisfying swoosihing sound when you move it through the air, even if you have no idea how to use it.

As you lift the club and the maul, you imagine for a moment being able to swing one of these weapons and imagine the chest of minotaur on the receiving end crumpling in a single blow.

You try to load a sling and fail to do so correctly. You try to wind up and take a shot at the wall with it. You repeatedly mess it up and fail to correctly keep the stone in the sling as you twirl it. When you get almost half way to throwing the stone successfully, you let go prematurely and Agamemnon needs to duck to avoid being hit. After another try, you manage to hit the outer wall of his home with a stone which makes a highly satisfying "thud".

None of the other weapons "speak" to you in any manner.

I assume the "maul" here is the axe? Is it a great axe? One handed axe? Will we have a shield to go with it if it's a one handed?

Will training in the bow and arrow also teach us all the various maintenance skills required for being an archer? String care, arrow fletching, protecting the bow from the weather, etc etc

What does Aga think of using a bow if we want to be explorers?

Lanky Coconut Tree fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 22, 2013

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah you know what? Sure, Mx4, changed from Cx4.

I'd still prefer the medium spear, but I think the benefits of specialization outweigh this. Besides, I'm going to assume that with our size most average folk won't pick fights with us and we can be all diplomat like to those bigger than us.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Can we try the bow first? I'm sure Aga has one lying around right now we can test.

I assume the "maul" here is the axe? Is it a great axe? One handed axe? Will we have a shield to go with it if it's a one handed?

Will training in the bow and arrow also teach us all the various maintenance skills required for being an archer? String care, arrow fletching, protecting the bow from the weather, etc etc

The way that reads to me is both of the big crushing weapons, club and big gently caress off hammer, are appealing to us. The axe falls under the category of weapons that aren't worth mentioning.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Is it assumed that we will learn shields at the same time we learn melee weapons because they pretty much always go together in this time period?

Bowx3
Staffx1

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Oh yeah right. I thought the maul was a typo.

So the javelins, club, maul and sword appeal to us. We haven't tried the bow yet. Long spear is awkward, slings are awkward.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
This is not the High loving Middle Ages. Diogenes, are there professional fletchers who make arrows, and are they common enough to be found in outlying towns and villages? Does bow training include construction and maintenance, and are bowmakers as common as fletchers?

We already know how to use a staff thanks to our previous experience with it. We just need to know how to parry and occasionally whack someone's head while Danal carves them up. Our eagle eyes suggest using a ranged weapon suitable to the time and place we exist in.

Medium spear: 1 point
Sling: 3 points

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
D:2, E:2

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
I'm going to Change my weapon vote

to: 4xC

it looks like we'll be getting training in the bow, so I might as well avoid a wasted vote.

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

Bear in mind that we only have a finite amount of downtime to train in, and some weapomns are easier to learn than others. Bows are nice, but we'll probavly get less proficiency out've bow training than spear training.

Here's how I see things..

The club is easiest to learn, and hits hard, but has no reach, and does not forgive misses.

The axe is a little more forgiving, but probably harder to master than the club.

The maul is a big gently caress-off hammer. You get one swing, then *somebody* dies. Harder to learn than the club, maybe un par with an axe?

Spears are going to have less reach, but faster recovery and an easier learning curve, the shorter (and closer to fishing spears) they get. I think the medium spear is the best trade-off, since we can throw it and presumably use a shield with it without sacrificing too much reach.

Swords have a nice balance of fast recovery and good damage, but they sacrifice reach and are probably the hardest melee weapon to learn. Also we can't afford one.

Greatswords probably sacrifice a lot of that recovery time for massive damage, but not as much as mauls do. We probably won't see one EVER unless Barkof's holding it.

Slings require a lot of time and effort to get good with, but drat if we don't have the eyes for it. Bows are like slings, but even moreso.

What I'm sayin' is, if we get any good at ranged combat, it'll be mostly due to our eyesight and sheer stubborn dedication. Currently, we know fishing spears and the basic principles of swinging things at other things. If we build on those, we'll be better off than if we pick up a weapon we've never seen before.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Dio, how easy will it be to get arrowheads? I assume metal is pretty rare? Do people still/yet make stone arrowheads? Do we have to learn fletching as a separate skill? Straightening/drying arrow shafts? Fixing our damp warped bow? New strings?

It also makes us pretty vulnerable at melee range, at least with the sling we can whack somebody in the face with it and it's basically a rock in a bag, not much different to a flail. Whack somebody over the head with a bow, and with our strength we're liable to break it in half. Meaning more expense getting a new one! And those little green tunics don't come cheap either.

Basically, bows are going to bankrupt us, with a sword it's a one time/rare expense, with a bow it's constant.

I also changed from short to medium spear and updated the sheet to reflect this.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Sep 22, 2013

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Agamemnon sends a slave to fetch a bow. After several tries to fire an arrow, the best you manage to do is cut one of your fingers on the string. Though you have little idea how to use any of these weapons.

A two handed axe.

The maul is a big stick with something heavy, hard and blunt at the other end.

"Figure out which end to shoot out of first boy, but yes, I see no reason why not, in time, if you work at it but shooting a bow and making arrows are two different things entirely."

"I think if you don't have others with you, your choice of weapon hardly matters. A bow will see you in the belly of a monster as quick as any other weapon, have no fear."

"We'll teach you the shield for the weapons that fit it, of course" he adds.

Imperialist Dog posted:

This is not the High loving Middle Ages. Diogenes, are there professional fletchers who make arrows, and are they common enough to be found in outlying towns and villages?
You have seen stalls in the market that sell arrows. They are mostly sold to hunters.

You are in the most of outlying cities right now, as best you know.

Arrowheads are generally made of stone. You have seen some copper, bronze and even iron arrowheads in the hands of Bareen's seasoned monster hunters, but they are more of a specialty good and more expensive, commissioned from smiths as needed.

UppaTree posted:

C x 4

Medium spear. Long enough to keep a man-sized monster back, short enough to throw at a monster we can't face head-on.

Plus, if we decided to go stabby to earn some respect in this culture, we'd best do it with a weapon they respect. I get the feeling that these guys, being all testosterone and machismo, don't think too highly of ranged combat.

Oi, Dio, how do these weapons fare as far as the proud warriors of Zepath are concerned? Is a man who knows only the bow considered cowardly compared to one who knows only the spear, for example? Does the Medium Spear have more favor due to Labras, even though the long spear wins more wars?
Labaras, as best you know, taught men all civilized arts, including war. Many men see the medium spear as the weapon of manly men and the best weapon because he one.

The bow is not a "cowards" weapon but few people use one. It is indeed seen as less manly. They take a lot of time to learn and everyone wants to emulate the heroes of the Old Tales, who mostly used melee weapons, though a few ranged weapons sneak in at the corners.

Bareen's veteran adventurers mostly seem to favor melee weapons as well, though they have more bows than you would expect for their numbers.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
gently caress all that noise about spears and bows. All my votes go for the axe

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!
4xM.

The bow will probably compliment us the most. The sling is -decent-, but we are lucky enough to be close to the king. Even as a slave, that affords us the chance to gain access to one and the arrows until we can make our own.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
I wonder how realistic this adventure will become. I don't think we have been too specific with keeping the physics and other elements ultra strict.

A thing to consider, Native Americans were using bows for quite some time without fancy metalwork or high quality arrows.

I agree that the min/max-er inside woud feel crappy choosing the bow knowing we had a chance to get a magical one earlier in the story, especially since we have not done much of value with our flute choice.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Becoming a skilled fletcher is a career all on its own. Literally, "fletcher" is a regular full time job. We can learn it, but doing so will mean missing out on something more interesting than a petty crafting skill. We already don't have time to learn all the things we'd like, why throw another half-assed skill on the pile of poo poo we never learned? Becoming a fletcher is an even worse waste of time than becoming a musician.

Learning a ranged weapon may be smart. It makes use of our unusually good eyesight, one of the few things about us that seems notably above average. We are a simple man, a simple weapon like a sling is a much better fit than a fiddly bow.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -