Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

He was also a lot younger, and it's easier to lose weight/put on muscle when you're younger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

VogeGandire posted:

Probably, but also need to remember how much thinner he was back then, so it looks less proportionate than he does now.

Don't forget that WCW had smaller rings than the WWF/E.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
One of the biggest Giant moments is the Souled Out 1997 match, where Hogan legdrops him and then circles the entire ring posing to the fans on each side. At one point, Giant stands up and starts following Hogan, and Hogan is so caught up in his celebration that he even steps over where Giant used to be without noticing anything is amiss. Then after ages of celebration, he turns around to make the pin, and then he is caught by Giant.

To be fair most of that is Hogan, but it was one of the shining moments of that godawful PPV (along with the Guerrero/Syxx match).

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Also, Andre shrank, it's possible Show did as well. There's also the fact that Show spent a lot of time in WCW standing next to people like Kevin Sullivan and Jimmy Hart who are pretty drat tiny.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Also, Andre shrank, it's possible Show did as well. There's also the fact that Show spent a lot of time in WCW standing next to people like Kevin Sullivan and Jimmy Hart who are pretty drat tiny.

That's why Jimmy Hart, other than his mic skills, made such a good manager. He's apparently only 5'9", which means if you put him next to even only a slightly taller than average guy, he looks like a giant.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Actually, depending on when you ask Hogan about WM3, Andre increased in size dramatically from 500-odd pounds to 13 tons. Same with the number of people in attendance.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

VogeGandire posted:

That's why Jimmy Hart, other than his mic skills, made such a good manager. He's apparently only 5'9", which means if you put him next to even only a slightly taller than average guy, he looks like a giant.

Being a small guy seems to be a common prerequisite for being a heel manager.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Red posted:

Being a small guy seems to be a common prerequisite for being a heel manager.

Armando Estrada was 6'2"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
In Armando's case it's that he was a very good talker and a crappy wrestler.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Sinister Minister was taller than both of the wrestlers he managed in ECW.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Estrada was also over like hell with his intro bit. Then he was fired.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Why was Estrada fired?

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

ChampRamp posted:

Armando Estrada was 6'2"

He looked small next to Umaga. Maybe not short, but smaller.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Chris Gaines posted:

Why was Estrada fired?

Umaga got absorbed into a McMahon angle, and when they did Umaga vs Lashley at WM, creative decided there had been far too many people at ringside. They made him ECW GM for awhile, decided it wasn't working after about a year. He opened a restaurant, it didn't work out, he briefly came back to WWE as Tyson Kidd's manager, when they had a brief plan to push Kidd where he'd search for a manager, and I guess Estrada wasn't it.

The impression I got was always that he just fell by the wayside. He didn't have heat or gently caress somebody he shouldn't have. He just didn't make himself indispensable enough for WWE management, who aren't super fond of mangers nowadays anyways.

I remember when they were building up Umaga by having him kill jobbers dead, they had him do a pre-match promo in the ring Umaga's opponent where he said something to effect of "I have heard, mang, that joo are toughest man in Tejas.....Unfortunately, Umaga is not from Tejas. Good luck, amigo."

I don't know what indy kid they got to do the honors that night, but I hope he got a little something extra in his pay envelope, because he bumped his rear end off for Umaga. Just a wholesale slaughter.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 19, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

I assume it happened after Hogan tossed him off the roof of a building

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
Estrada had the problem, like all heels that are entertaining at their jobs nowadays, of getting cheered. WWE management didn't like the evil heel manager getting cheered and they got him away from Umaga.

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

For the next Nitro Party that features old Memphis interludes:

[e] Whoops, here's the right one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDzzx31xirQ

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

IronCladBurrito posted:

For the next Nitro Party that features old Memphis interludes:

[e] Whoops, here's the right one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDzzx31xirQ

I always love seeing the origins to Terry Funk's album.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
This new edition of Kayfabe Commentaries with Russo; I've tried to watch the segment in which he explains Hogan's actions at Bash at the Beach 2000, but I just can't finish it, Russo is just so drat annoying and talks without end, without making a point, and he stutters in a way that makes me suspect he's lying, at least partially.

It's already common practice for people to say that Russo was good in the WWF because he had Vince as a filter. I don't believe this. Vince can't be a filter for anyone in creative, because he loves gimmicks and loves to push things to their extreme - Attitude, Ruthless Aggression or PG, it has to be pushed so far it breaks. What matters is that Vince is in charge. It's his company, in the end, you answer to him. Russo didn't have that in WCW, it was a chaotic environment infested with bloated egos, and that's why Russo was bad for WCW. Same thing with TNA. WCW lacked structure, a defined hierarchy, and it failed. If TNA is having those same problems, it will most likely fail, too.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Consider Russo got control when Austin was probably already railroaded towards superstardom. Once Wrestlemania hit there really wasn't anything he COULD do to gently caress it up they were so hot. And the fact that they had the second biggest star in history turn up six months after that...

but to be fair, his poo poo was fresh and new when he started. The first RAW with him in charge literally was like watching a whole new show and it was great and he deserves props for that.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

LordPants posted:

but to be fair, his poo poo was fresh and new when he started. The first RAW with him in charge literally was like watching a whole new show and it was great and he deserves props for that.

Which one was that?

EDIT: And why are we using spoiler tags?

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Rad R. posted:

This new edition of Kayfabe Commentaries with Russo; I've tried to watch the segment in which he explains Hogan's actions at Bash at the Beach 2000, but I just can't finish it, Russo is just so drat annoying and talks without end, without making a point, and he stutters in a way that makes me suspect he's lying, at least partially.

It's already common practice for people to say that Russo was good in the WWF because he had Vince as a filter. I don't believe this. Vince can't be a filter for anyone in creative, because he loves gimmicks and loves to push things to their extreme - Attitude, Ruthless Aggression or PG, it has to be pushed so far it breaks. What matters is that Vince is in charge. It's his company, in the end, you answer to him. Russo didn't have that in WCW, it was a chaotic environment infested with bloated egos, and that's why Russo was bad for WCW. Same thing with TNA. WCW lacked structure, a defined hierarchy, and it failed. If TNA is having those same problems, it will most likely fail, too.

Not to mention those bloated egos had creative control clauses in their contracts so you had Russo never thinking 2 weeks into the future and having to rebook on the fly when hogan et al decided they didn't feel like doing anything

BigT
Oct 22, 2004

The great thing about WCE was that it had a great main event angle, but also really great supporting talent. Bishoff was a genius in using Mexico and Japan relations to share talent and bring in the multitude of high flyers, of which your every day joe never saw before.

I really wish there was a second promotion that actually mattered like WCW did. It make the entire industry better. Inventiveness is bread by necessity and WCW being relevant made WWF amazing and WCW great...for a while.

TNA will never get there because they are still trying to capture the hay day of the WCW without realizing how they got there in the first place.

This is why monopolies suck in general.

We all want WWE to be better, but they have nothing to fear. they have a loving genius model for making enough money for all the top execs to live very very well. Kudos for not being super greedy, but it sucks for the rest of us in that we have nothing to really look forward to.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BigT posted:

The great thing about WCE was that it had a great main event angle, but also really great supporting talent. Bishoff was a genius in using Mexico and Japan relations to share talent and bring in the multitude of high flyers, of which your every day joe never saw before.

I really wish there was a second promotion that actually mattered like WCW did. It make the entire industry better. Inventiveness is bread by necessity and WCW being relevant made WWF amazing and WCW great...for a while.

TNA will never get there because they are still trying to capture the hay day of the WCW without realizing how they got there in the first place.

This is why monopolies suck in general.

We all want WWE to be better, but they have nothing to fear. they have a loving genius model for making enough money for all the top execs to live very very well. Kudos for not being super greedy, but it sucks for the rest of us in that we have nothing to really look forward to.

Kevin Sullivan was the reason most of the good undercard guys came in, at least at first. He'd pick guys he saw in ECW or Konnan would work to bring them in. Bischoff would have a guy recommended to him and wouldn't even stick around to see his match on a card, he'd just sign them.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!

BigT posted:

They've been very diligent about it, too, because they've certainly made every single mistake WCW did. From thinking they can just spend their way into the #2 spot, to hiring Hulk Hogan and giving him a prominent role on TV. Who would've guessed that repeating the same mistakes from WCW's past wouldn't work the second time out? :v:

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Repeating the same action and expecting a different result, checks out

BigT
Oct 22, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

Kevin Sullivan was the reason most of the good under card guys came in, at least at first. He'd pick guys he saw in ECW or Konnan would work to bring them in. Bischoff would have a guy recommended to him and wouldn't even stick around to see his match on a card, he'd just sign them.

I've heard this a lot in the past, but i don't fully agree with it. I'll give you that Kevin was one of the more dedicated booker's at the time, kind of stupid as well (The whole setting his wife up to get taken away), but I don't think enough people give Eric credit on this.

Eric Bishoff was one of the reasons why WCW fell, but he in this regard he was the main reason the talent was able to come in. Ted Turner was a lot like Vince in term's of what wrestlers should look like, but he had enough sense that although he had his idea, he would leave it up to his managers to decide. Eric was heavily influenced by Japan martial arts, and some say the whole reason the NWO was created was because he was influenced by NJPW who were setting up a similar angle. He was actually pretty close in with their management, and one of the reasons why talent would go back and forth because it was a Japanese business thing or something (i honestly dont know how that poo poo worked).

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BigT posted:

I've heard this a lot in the past, but i don't fully agree with it. I'll give you that Kevin was one of the more dedicated booker's at the time, kind of stupid as well (The whole setting his wife up to get taken away), but I don't think enough people give Eric credit on this.

Eric Bishoff was one of the reasons why WCW fell, but he in this regard he was the main reason the talent was able to come in. Ted Turner was a lot like Vince in term's of what wrestlers should look like, but he had enough sense that although he had his idea, he would leave it up to his managers to decide. Eric was heavily influenced by Japan martial arts, and some say the whole reason the NWO was created was because he was influenced by NJPW who were setting up a similar angle. He was actually pretty close in with their management, and one of the reasons why talent would go back and forth because it was a Japanese business thing or something (i honestly dont know how that poo poo worked).

Kevin Sullivan was very close to ECW at the time. He would make offers to talent or go through Nancy. Bischoff did have ties to Japan, but relatively few full time wrestlers came in through New Japan. Norton is one of the only ones. Most came from ECW or from Mexico, and Sullivan played a large role in getting the first ones in because he saw what was happening in ECW. Soon after Bischoff started signing a ton of talent himself (often brokered by Konnan) but Sullivan deserves a lot of credit here.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Kevin Sullivan was very close to ECW at the time. He would make offers to talent or go through Nancy. Bischoff did have ties to Japan, but relatively few full time wrestlers came in through New Japan. Norton is one of the only ones. Most came from ECW or from Mexico, and Sullivan played a large role in getting the first ones in because he saw what was happening in ECW. Soon after Bischoff started signing a ton of talent himself (often brokered by Konnan) but Sullivan deserves a lot of credit here.

It should be noted that the main reason he had ties to ECW was that Tod Gordon and Bill Alfonso were feeding him info about ECW contracts and when they would be up (with the plan apparently being another invasion angle), and the reason Alfonso did a humongous bladejob as well as the job for Beulah in a singles match was because Heyman demanded it in order to save his job after finding out.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Which one was that?

EDIT: And why are we using spoiler tags?

The episode following the German House show edition of Raw. If you watch the weeks prior it goes from "Snooze" to "Awesome" in the space of a fortnight.

Spoiler tags for comedic purposes because I had to hide the fact I put something good about Russo down. :colbert:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I am hoping to get a better quality version of the show by tonight so I will post the links later, but tonight is a big episode! Tonight at 8 PM Eastern we will watch WCW FALL BRAWL 96 featuring WAR GAMES: THE MATCH BEYOND!

If you are going to watch one show to really get a feel for this whole WCW vs nWo angle and the potential of the undercard this is the best one to watch for the next several months. There's several legitimately good matches and then everything is prepared to blow up for War Games. Will Sting be on team nWo? If not can team WCW trust him? Can Savage handle the Giant? FIND OUT TONIGHT!

DDP vs Chavo Jr

ICE TRAIN VS SCOTT NORTON IN A SUBMISSION MATCH

Konnan vs Juvi for the Mexi... AAA Championship

Benoit vs Jericho

Rey Jr vs Super Calo

Harlem Heat vs the Nasty Boys

The Giant vs Randy Savage

The nWo vs WCW in WAR GAMES

So join us at 8 PM here: http://psp-tv.com/r/greatestnitroinhistoryofoursport for the big show!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

You mean The Giant

He's called The Giant here.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

why were some PPVs in WCW on saturdays and others on Sundays? The inconsistency was really confusing to me as a kid.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

and the reason Alfonso did a humongous bladejob as well as the job for Beulah in a singles match was because Heyman demanded it in order to save his job after finding out.

So loving carnie

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

John Cena posted:

why were some PPVs in WCW on saturdays and others on Sundays? The inconsistency was really confusing to me as a kid.

I don't know about WCW specifically, but the tradition of having all PPVs on Sundays didn't really come about until the mid-to-late 90s. Both Survivor Series and Starrcade used to be on Thanksgiving (so Thursday). I remember Summerslam being on Mondays. Then there was the one-off "This Tuesday in Texas" show that WWF did. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples, but those are the ones I remember.

Lurkee Mcgee
Jun 5, 2006
What was up with Vader's weird smoking mastodon mask? It looked cool?

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

Lurkee Mcgee posted:

What was up with Vader's weird smoking mastodon mask? It looked cool?

The elephant looking mask? According to the internet it used co2 for the smoke effect and he couldn't fly with filled cartridges so I guess it just got to be too much hassle in the US.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

jalopybrown posted:

The elephant looking mask? According to the internet it used co2 for the smoke effect and he couldn't fly with filled cartridges so I guess it just got to be too much hassle in the US.

It's too bad they never kept it over here or modded it to work differently. I can honestly say I would probably never have given wcw a chance before the nWo if I hadn't accidentally caught Vader while flipping channels one day. Such a unique entrance/attire.

BigT
Oct 22, 2004

flashy_mcflash posted:

It's too bad they never kept it over here or modded it to work differently. I can honestly say I would probably never have given wcw a chance before the nWo if I hadn't accidentally caught Vader while flipping channels one day. Such a unique entrance/attire.

Sounds like Vadar was a legit smart and nice guy in the business and out. I would of thought just by his look that he was a boozer, drug addict and had anger issues, just goes to show how much of a seller he really is. I never really liked Vadar but after reading the thread I have a lot more respect for the guy. Makes the whole "is wrestling real" angle he did that much more impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

BigT posted:

Sounds like Vadar was a legit smart and nice guy in the business and out.
Yep.

quote:

I would of thought just by his look that he was a boozer, drug addict and had anger issues,
Yep.