Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Earwicker posted:

I don't know, but I was mostly watching American media about it I would have thought they'd make a big deal out of it because that seems like something the media would do. FRIDAY THE 13th CRUISE CATASTROPHE!

They were too busy calling it the "real life Titanic." :frogbon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IFdWBPRrxo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

Yep, if you use the "Report a Problem" link at your house location on Street View you can request a blur. I agree that it is a pretty silly concern for the homeowner and does elicit the Streisand Effect: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

I think that depends on the area. For example if you look at Street View in most German cities, there is a house blurred out on almost any given block, so I doubt that's going to warrant any attention since it's so common there

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

What are these giant circles that look like bomb craters in The Netherlands near Rotterdam?
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=51.931168,3.99117&spn=0.007158,0.021007&t=h&z=16

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Retarded Pimp posted:

What are these giant circles that look like bomb craters in The Netherlands near Rotterdam?
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=51.931168,3.99117&spn=0.007158,0.021007&t=h&z=16

Maybe bomb craters. Rotterdam was bombed by both sides in WW2.

EDIT: zooming out I see a port complex, which was the main target of the bombing for the allies.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 23, 2013

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Those don't show up on the beach shot:

or on Bing. I'm guessing it's some sort of "art" or somebody just loving around in the sand.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
http://coastalcare.org/2010/12/land-reclamation-at-rotterdam-netherlands/

Probably has something to do with this land reclamation project.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

MisterOblivious posted:

Those don't show up on the beach shot:

or on Bing. I'm guessing it's some sort of "art" or somebody just loving around in the sand.

The Google Maps image is older than the other ones, in the Bing photo the field's soil has clearly been changed and the construction project's promo shot might be doctored to not make people think that the place could be littered with UXO.

edit: actually, looking at the timeline the field is new.

2009:

2010:

2013:

Maybe something to do with drainage or irrigation?

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 23, 2013

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

The white stuff around the center circles doesn't immediately line up with anything I know about bomb craters, but that's definitely a place that would have some bomb craters.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

wdarkk posted:

The white stuff around the center circles doesn't immediately line up with anything I know about bomb craters, but that's definitely a place that would have some bomb craters.

The white stuff look like hay bales in plastic wrapping to me.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's newly-made ground, so bombing craters are only possible if there was some bombing campaign that happened between 2008 and now.

Maybe some kind of excavation relating to the landfilling project.

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom
Street view. Is that poop? https://maps.google.com/maps?q=kfc+...,156.12,,0,0.58

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

withak posted:

It's newly-made ground, so bombing craters are only possible if there was some bombing campaign that happened between 2008 and now.

Ah, I stand corrected.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

If that's what your dumps look like, I might suggest you visit a doctor.

It's a pear.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
A pair of what?

alcyon
Mar 9, 2010

withak posted:

Maybe some kind of excavation relating to the landfilling project.

Clearly you never heard of the great Flemish raid of 2011! But yeah, they're marks left by the land reclaimation project for the port of Rotterdam. They are temorary drainage pits for leveling out the watertable. All the squigly lines around them are just dumped (truck)loads of sand, clay and sludge used to smooth out the surface later. Most likely they faded into the landscape already.

Something else from the Netherlands:
Birdseye view: http://binged.it/1bACEsi
Streetview: http://goo.gl/maps/Vn7ZC

The rebuild Dutch 17th century mechant fluyt, The Batavia (which met an unfortunate end on its maiden voyage four centuries ago.)
And on the other side (still under construction) the famed Dutch 80 gun flagship The Zeven Provincin. Probably the most advanced and feared weapon of mass destruction of the later 1600s. Used to sink many an English bastard :yarr:.

Cool thing about these ships is that they're built entirely according to period methods, they're exact copies down to the last treenail. Def worth a visit if you're ever in the area.

RandyWest
Sep 2, 2011
Found some nice colors at the Reykjavik observatory.

http://goo.gl/maps/fHr57

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Detective Thompson posted:

If that's what your dumps look like, I might suggest you visit a doctor.

It's a pear.

It's a nice pear, big as well, I'm surprised there is no frat boy in the street view giving it a feel.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Michael Scott posted:

Yep, if you use the "Report a Problem" link at your house location on Street View you can request a blur. I agree that it is a pretty silly concern for the homeowner and does elicit the Streisand Effect: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

Apparently the blurring is irreversible, too, as Google discards (or claims to discard, anyway) the original image. It's funny to see people on the Google Maps message boards demanding that Google unblur their house (after they requested it be blurred) because they're now trying to sell it or something and getting pissed because the Google folks say they can't restore the original.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Here's one for y'all not so much a "what" as a "why"

New York/Quebec border

There are a handful of spots like this where a road across the border was cut off (Google seems to have dispatched their Street View forces to them on the Canadian side). Anyone know when they were cut off? Pre- or post-9/11?

E: Here's one a few miles to the east of the other (Street View on both sides of the border)

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 8, 2013

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
The neat thing here is you can see a granite stone marker that was probably set up by some border-defining expedition a long time ago. I don't know why the road does that, though, but the US/Canada border is a weird one.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
There used to be plenty of uncontrolled crossing between the two countries; since the border moved a few times over the years, some people had houses built right on the border (IE, the living room in the states and the kitchen in Canada). Geodesics are hard, and it's a really loving long border.

After 9/11, they really tightened up the border by cutting roads and adding fences, so now you have to at least get out of your car to get across the border. As we all know, terrorists really hate walking. (There's ground vibration detectors and all sorts of fancy stuff at chokepoints, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if there were plenty of places you could cross into the US undetected.)

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Real Name Grover posted:

There are a handful of spots like this where a road across the border was cut off (Google seems to have dispatched their Street View forces to them on the Canadian side). Anyone know when they were cut off? Pre- or post-9/11?

I have a vague recollection of the US government claiming that they were 'tightening' the Canadian border sometime around early 2002, that'd be my guess as to when a lot of these 'unmanned crossings' were gated off and left to grow over. It was around the same time as some random paranoia about al-Qaeda targetting bridges in the NW and NE metropolitan areas.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

After 9/11, they really tightened up the border by cutting roads and adding fences, so now you have to at least get out of your car to get across the border. As we all know, terrorists really hate walking. (There's ground vibration detectors and all sorts of fancy stuff at chokepoints, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if there were plenty of places you could cross into the US undetected.)

When I was a teenager (in the PRE-9/11 WORLD) I went on a long canoeing trip up in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area which runs along the border between Minnesota and Ontario. The border there is marked essentially by a few posts scattered through the woods. That's when the border isn't running through the middle of a lake, which it often is. While I'm sure something was done during the 9/11 security frenzy, it would be really really hard to actually put any kind of real border control there, and I'm sure you can very easily cross back and forth there still.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Oh, of course. More than anything it has to be a pain in the rear end for the folks who live along the border who may have preferred going to, say, a grocery store in the other country.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Earwicker posted:

When I was a teenager (in the PRE-9/11 WORLD) I went on a long canoeing trip up in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area which runs along the border between Minnesota and Ontario. The border there is marked essentially by a few posts scattered through the woods. That's when the border isn't running through the middle of a lake, which it often is. While I'm sure something was done during the 9/11 security frenzy, it would be really really hard to actually put any kind of real border control there, and I'm sure you can very easily cross back and forth there still.

Just out of curiosity what group did you take this trip with Earwicker?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

DandyLion posted:

Just out of curiosity what group did you take this trip with Earwicker?

It was a group associated with the Concordia Language Villages called "Les Voyageurs". It's mainly based near Bemidji (on Turtle River Lake) but in the program I did we did an extended two week trip in the Boundary Waters. It was awesome.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

MisterOblivious posted:

While we're on the subject of Cold War era military installations this place now officially exists.
It certainly didn't exist in 1955 when they sent out a press release announcing its construction.

big business sloth posted:

The neat thing here is you can see a granite stone marker that was probably set up by some border-defining expedition a long time ago.
Yup, here's an interesting video on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMkYlIA7mgw

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I was gonna link that!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

If you guys want to see a really bizarre border there is an area of the Netherlands/Belgian border that is an absolute mess. Like a bunch tiny little plots that belong to one country entirely embedded enside the other and vice versa.

Four-Twenty
Feb 10, 2005

no fear

Earwicker posted:

If you guys want to see a really bizarre border there is an area of the Netherlands/Belgian border that is an absolute mess. Like a bunch tiny little plots that belong to one country entirely embedded enside the other and vice versa.

A good place to look is Baarle. There used to be a pub there with a pool table on the BE-NL border

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Any idea what these boxy things are around these coords?

(0038.528925, -0121.020154)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Elendil004 posted:

Those are clearly mobile biological weapons laboratories.

Heres a schematic.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Maybe some kind of hillbilly shack.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

jisforjosh posted:

Not that strange because what it is, is known, but it's pretty cool that Hashima Island (coal mining island city that Mitsubishi built up, later abandoned) has street views throughout.

http://goo.gl/maps/mSeJX

Edit: Apparently this was added somewhat recently, June of this year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5kmKO_gGsc

This is where part of Skyfall was filmed

Edit: Never mind. If I had done one more minute of searching before posting I would have seen that they built sets based off the island. They never actually filmed there.

Tainen fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 21, 2013

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Real Name Grover posted:

Here's one for y'all not so much a "what" as a "why"

New York/Quebec border

E: Here's one a few miles to the east of the other (Street View on both sides of the border)

This is common on the west coast too. I remember my mom and I accidentally driving into Washington state when I was young, only realizing it because the street signs were a different colour, but I don't think you can do it anymore. You have to have a passport on you by law now thanks to 9/11 too.

In Vancouver, which hugs the border, it's understood only certain streets are official crossings, 4-5 total, and they often all have hour+ line-ups. My brother is a border guard and can be sent to any of them to work.

Here's the border in Point Roberts, WA, a strange peninsula only accessible through Vancouver by land.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Elendil004 posted:

I'm about an hour away from that, and as far as I know there's nothing out there but rancher land, no bases or missile silos or anything interesting. The shadows kinda look like they're empty flatbed trucks with railing on the side, something like this. What they're doing parked out in the middle of that oak grove, no idea. I'd say grow op, but Rancho Murieta's really more about the meth.

leidend posted:

This is common on the west coast too. I remember my mom and I accidentally driving into Washington state when I was young, only realizing it because the street signs were a different colour, but I don't think you can do it anymore. You have to have a passport on you by law now thanks to 9/11 too.

In Vancouver, which hugs the border, it's understood only certain streets are official crossings, 4-5 total, and they often all have hour+ line-ups. My brother is a border guard and can be sent to any of them to work.

Here's the border in Point Roberts, WA, a strange peninsula only accessible through Vancouver by land.

That peninsula looks relatively heavily populated for what it is, any who lives there? Is it mostly Canadians with green cards or Americans with work visas?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Elendil004 posted:

Might be a stack of wood drying like this:

You can see those everywhere in the woods in Germany. No idea if they are common in America.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

tonberrytoby posted:

Might be a stack of wood drying like this:

You can see those everywhere in the woods in Germany. No idea if they are common in America.

Yup, absolutely common in America, I have one in my backyard right now.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

No need to identify this strange thing on google maps, local police in Oregon already identified it as a backyard pot farm and Took Steps.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2013/10/google-earth-narcs-on-an-oregonian-marijuana-grower/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subliminal Sauce
Apr 6, 2010

Spreading freedom and spreading it thick; that's just a thing us right-wing nutjobs do!
Thought I'd do a flyover of a nudist resort:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=plea...lorida&t=h&z=20

I think I see someone in a lounge chair, sweet! (not far from the American Nudist Research Library...)

Subliminal Sauce fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 22, 2013

• Locked thread