Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

There used to be a time when DT was able to put out some pretty unique and fresh material, but the last several (six?) albums just all seem to be the same sort of riffing wankery from one song to the next. I couldn't even make it through this last one before just getting bored with it all. I'm going to sound like a snobby douche, but DT just doesn't have anything to say anymore and every song just runs through the numbers. So why bother? It's all impressive sounding because yes, everyone is master of their instrument, but in the end, the songs are ultimately forgettable for it all.

I'd contrast this with Haken's latest which, hell, is pretty creative stuff, but at the very least is interesting and keeps me wanting to hear what they're going to try for in each track. It also sounds to me that they're focusing their collective energy on the songs themselves, rather than concentrating on displaying their prowess at their individual instruments to the detriment of the whole.
In terms of over-the-top wankery, even Danny Carey's fusion side project Volto! is doing a better job of whatever Dream theater's trying to do than Dream Theater is right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

IRQ posted:

Just so it doesn't hit you out of left field, Gloria is completely different from their prior work. It is also bad.

Yeah thanks for the warning but I had already...experienced it. The rest, particularly Three Neuron Kings I really enjoyed though.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"

Misogynist posted:

In terms of over-the-top wankery, even Danny Carey's fusion side project Volto! is doing a better job of whatever Dream theater's trying to do than Dream Theater is right now.

Wow thanks for mentioning this band, not bad stuff :)

I too can't really stand the new DT because of the wanky singing. I like Enigma Machine but it grows old pretty quick.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

There used to be a time when DT was able to put out some pretty unique and fresh material, but the last several (six?) albums just all seem to be the same sort of riffing wankery from one song to the next. I couldn't even make it through this last one before just getting bored with it all. I'm going to sound like a snobby douche, but DT just doesn't have anything to say anymore and every song just runs through the numbers. So why bother? It's all impressive sounding because yes, everyone is master of their instrument, but in the end, the songs are ultimately forgettable for it all.

I'd contrast this with Haken's latest which, hell, is pretty creative stuff, but at the very least is interesting and keeps me wanting to hear what they're going to try for in each track. It also sounds to me that they're focusing their collective energy on the songs themselves, rather than concentrating on displaying their prowess at their individual instruments to the detriment of the whole.

I've been following Dream Theater for about a decade now, I've seen them in concert several times, and along with Iron Maiden they got me started on metal. That said, I completely agree, Dream Theater has gotten too comfortable with their musical shtick. It's like when they go into the studio they're not there to create exciting and progressive music, they're there to create another product under the DT brand. It wasn't the arrival of Jordan Rudess or the departure of Mike Portnoy, their music has just turned into boring, self-derivative poo poo.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Gamma Nerd posted:

I have to say, as long-winded and painfully proggy as the new Kayo Dot album was, I really loved it. There were some really chaotic metallic tracks that kicked tons of rear end. Anyone else here listen to it?

I didn't know they were still putting stuff out, didn't they change back into Maudlin of the Well for a bit? I remember not liking their transition into Kayo Dot in the first place but I'm almost afraid to go back and listen to Bath and realize I was wrong :v:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

One of the issues I'm having with DT's latest is that they almost took the "ADToE is Images and Words 2.0" thing and made Awake 2.0... except it's just not that great.

The ballads are wanky, half the tracks are rehashes of something else -- or in the case of The Looking Glass, someone else, like Rush -- and Illumination Theory is just not interesting enough to be a single 22 minute long track. I'd be lying if I said that the last three minutes of that monstrosity weren't my favourite.

No good metal bands coming to town in the next couple months. Bleh.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Time for some random band pimping. As I don't think they're been talked about before/recently and considering their album is an self released job, I think it's pretty drat good.

Lorenguard - symphonic power metal that still managed to be nice and punchy plus just out and out fun. Only have one album so far, the very wordily titled "Eve of Corruption: The Days of Astasia - Part One", can check out all of the tracks on their Youtube page. If for some reason you're lacking in albums about dragons and magic swords with some guts, these guys might be for you.

Eve Of Corruption
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO9KgKOxJOY

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I didn't know they were still putting stuff out, didn't they change back into Maudlin of the Well for a bit? I remember not liking their transition into Kayo Dot in the first place but I'm almost afraid to go back and listen to Bath and realize I was wrong :v:

They released a pretty lovely album last year with awful production but Choirs and Copper Anemone own and you would probably love em if you like the more post-rock parts of Bath.

This one is definitely a return to form IMO.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Kazinsal posted:

One of the issues I'm having with DT's latest is that they almost took the "ADToE is Images and Words 2.0" thing and made Awake 2.0... except it's just not that great.

The ballads are wanky, half the tracks are rehashes of something else -- or in the case of The Looking Glass, someone else, like Rush -- and Illumination Theory is just not interesting enough to be a single 22 minute long track. I'd be lying if I said that the last three minutes of that monstrosity weren't my favourite.

I have to admit that the part of Illumination Theory right after the orchestral interlude (which itself was pretty well done) is easily the most original thing they've done in many years. There's a solid minute of great riffing and vocals before Petrucci and Rudess suffocate it with another bland shred-off. IMO it's about on par with Octavarium.

ANIME AKBAR fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 23, 2013

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Maiden are streaming live from Rock in Rio, they've literally just started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEEcvj6X_h4

:rock:

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

oh my god fix the LEVELS.

This is horrible in all the worst ways. :(

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Levels are much better now

fake: never mind

fake2: they're trying so hard and they've still got heart :3:

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Hahahahahhahahhaha

e: And yet, it's probably fair to say that, as far as live performances go, they're heaps better than Tallica are these days.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Those On My Left posted:

Hahahahahhahahhaha

e: And yet, it's probably fair to say that, as far as live performances go, they're heaps better than Tallica are these days.
But man, Bruce's voice sounded a lot better an hour ago.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Gamma Nerd posted:

They released a pretty lovely album last year with awful production but Choirs and Copper Anemone own and you would probably love em if you like the more post-rock parts of Bath.

This one is definitely a return to form IMO.

I'll give them another chance, I did like the post-rocky MOTW parts. I remember initially being put off that Kayo Dot was too "not metal" but I don't really care these days!

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

T-Bozz Factor posted:

Hey guys. I haven't posted here in like forever and as you might guess, I'm back because I need something from you. Honesty is good. My band put out an album and I think you'll like it if you're into Slough Feg, Manilla Road, or obvious stuff like Iron Maiden. Lots of guitar harmonies with a balance of heavy and melodic stuff. Think late 70s/early 80s metal before everything was super defined. (but we are still influenced by modern stuff as well) The link below takes you to bandcamp. You can listen to the whole thing there and buy it for 7 bucks if you like it that much. Either way, effluvious praise welcomed and harsh criticism tolerated.

Children of the Reptile - Children of the Reptile

Bought without listening based on the stuff you posted previously, can't wait to listen tomorrow

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Given that I've never gotten the chance to witness Enslaved live, I'm pretty stoked for this...

Oh holy poo poo...I want to go see this so bad. Seriously, this lineup is incredible.

I'm in a unique position in that I live NOWHERE near any of these venues but am completely willing to fly to one just for this show. Now I just need to figure out which one to attend.

Feb 8, 2008

DroneRiff posted:

Time for some random band pimping. As I don't think they're been talked about before/recently and considering their album is an self released job, I think it's pretty drat good.

Lorenguard - symphonic power metal that still managed to be nice and punchy plus just out and out fun. Only have one album so far, the very wordily titled "Eve of Corruption: The Days of Astasia - Part One", can check out all of the tracks on their Youtube page. If for some reason you're lacking in albums about dragons and magic swords with some guts, these guys might be for you.

Eve Of Corruption
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO9KgKOxJOY

I like this! These guys obviously listened to a lot of the late 90's symphonic power metal stuff like Rhapsody and have really captured that sound, except without all the awful English as a second language lyrics and unnecessary wankery.

IceOrb
Sep 10, 2006

AGENT NAHMAN JAYDEN, FBI.
I feel like the new DT album has bits and pieces of songs that could be strung together to make a good album. But the majority of these songs sound like riffs that don't really fit together in any real meaningful way. The last track, Illumination Theory, is a great example. That fully orchestral bit, while impressive and pretty nice sounding, just makes no sense in the middle of that song. It doesn't hit the same way that something like the end of Octavarium or SDOIT hits. It's just there for the sake of it.

Also I don't think Mangini brings anything interesting to the table either. His playing on this album was about as boring as the drum sections that Pertrucci wrote for the last album.

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
I re-listened to Fleshgod Apocalyse - Agony and liked it a little better than I remembered, although I think the mix still kind of makes the album worse than Oracles and Mafia. I'm now listening to Labyrinth for the first time and it's pretty good except every once in a while the vocals get just... terrible. It's very strange.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

John Magnum posted:

I re-listened to Fleshgod Apocalyse - Agony and liked it a little better than I remembered, although I think the mix still kind of makes the album worse than Oracles and Mafia. I'm now listening to Labyrinth for the first time and it's pretty good except every once in a while the vocals get just... terrible. It's very strange.

I love Labyrinth. I thought I'd get tired of it because it's not usually the sort of thing I like, but I can't stop coming back to it. I picked it up with the Watain album because one of my friends gave it such a strong recommendation, and it's had much more lasting appeal than the Watain album for me, despite the fact that I would consider myself a bigger fan of Watain.

Shamed
Feb 14, 2012

One thousand credits is my humble price
How come no one has posted the new MDF bands?

quote:

ROUND 4

5 more bands have been confirmed for MDF XII!

CANCER (UK) - Exclusive US show and first time in the US since 1993.

SACRIFICE (Canada) - Exclusive US show and first time in the US since 1992.

NOCTURNUS A.D. - Playing "The Key" album in its entirety.

CROWBAR

DEATH TOLL 80K (Finland)

Updated list of confirmed bands:

ASPHYX (Netherlands)
AT THE GATES (Sweden)
BONGRIPPER
CANCER (UK)
CANDLEMASS (Sweden)
CROWBAR
DEATH TOLL 80K (Finland)
DIOCLETIAN (New Zealand)
EXCRUCIATING TERROR
EXTINCTION OF MANKIND (UK)
GOD MACABRE (Sweden)
GORGUTS (Canada)
GRAVES AT SEA
HEMDALE
MACHETAZO (Spain)
MGLA (Poland)
NOCTURNUS A.D.
SACRIFICE (Canada)
SARKE (Norway)
SOILENT GREEN
SOLSTAFIR (Iceland)
TAAKE (Norway)
TANKARD (Germany)
ULVER (Norway)
UNCLE ACID & THE DEADBEATS (UK)
UNHOLY GRAVE (Japan)
UNLEASHED (Sweden)
WITCHRIST (New Zealand)

http://www.marylanddeathfest.com/

Sacrifice, Nocturnus, and Cancer. MDF is doing it right.

Fenris244
Oct 22, 2012

Shamed posted:

How come no one has posted the new MDF bands?

Sacrifice, Nocturnus, and Cancer. MDF is doing it right.

I might try and get there this year. Thats a great line up so far, now to figure out a plan to escape Texas...

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Nocturnus? Playing all of "The Key" :aaaaa:

One of my favorite DM albums ever. drat, too bad I can't possibly make it.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Isn't Nocturnus AD basically After Death since Mike Browning lost the rights to Nocturnus?

Shamed
Feb 14, 2012

comes along bort posted:

Isn't Nocturnus AD basically After Death since Mike Browning lost the rights to Nocturnus?

Yes, but they're only playing the Key so it's fine. Nocturnus was Mike Browning's band anyway, the other dudes just kicked him out.

I've been to the last 2 MDFs, they both ruled. Hopefully they can fix their venue issues this year around, last year at Sonar sucked. Awful security.

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

So the newest Ulcerate album (Vermis) is getting pretty rave reviews.

In my opinion, they're underselling just how astonishing of an album it is. The last two were great, with Destroyers of All being a bit weaker than Everything is Fire, at least to me. But this new one is truly in a class by itself. I just assumed the new Gorguts would be my metal album of the year, but nope. Vermis sounds like no death metal album I've ever heard. It's a swirling, cacophonous barrage of bleakness and despair. But the quality of the musicianship and composition is absolutely peerless, and the actual recording itself suits the music perfectly. In particular, their drummer understands restraint and patience more than any metal drummer I can think of. It's an album that really needs to be heard all the way through, but if you want to check out just one track, listen to Cessation.

I have no doubt it might be a bit too noisy for some people, but I encourage everyone to give it a listen. It's not for everyone, but I can say almost certainly that Vermis is the best metal album I've ever heard.

Shamed
Feb 14, 2012

In a year where Satan's Life Sentence, Dream Death's Somnium Excessum, Körgull the Exterminator's Metal Fist Destroyer, Cultes Des Ghoules' Henbane came out and we have a new Deceased and Inquisition album coming, I doubt Vermis will even make the top 5. It's good. It's not close to Don't Break the Oath.

Shamed fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 26, 2013

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

Ireallylikeeggs posted:

So the newest Ulcerate album (Vermis) is getting pretty rave reviews.

In my opinion, they're underselling just how astonishing of an album it is. The last two were great, with Destroyers of All being a bit weaker than Everything is Fire, at least to me. But this new one is truly in a class by itself. I just assumed the new Gorguts would be my metal album of the year, but nope. Vermis sounds like no death metal album I've ever heard. It's a swirling, cacophonous barrage of bleakness and despair. But the quality of the musicianship and composition is absolutely peerless, and the actual recording itself suits the music perfectly. In particular, their drummer understands restraint and patience more than any metal drummer I can think of. It's an album that really needs to be heard all the way through, but if you want to check out just one track, listen to Cessation.

I have no doubt it might be a bit too noisy for some people, but I encourage everyone to give it a listen. It's not for everyone, but I can say almost certainly that Vermis is the best metal album I've ever heard.

Let me shamelessly plug my review for this album. http://axisofmetal.com/2013/08/ulcerate-vermis-review/

I only say this because...yes. It's definitely an album of the year contender, right up there with Gorguts. This album is awesome in all the ways I want from modern-y death metal.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Shamed posted:

In a year where Satan's Life Sentence, Dream Death's Somnium Excessum, Körgull the Exterminator's Metal Fist Destroyer, Cultes Des Ghoules' Henbane came out and we have a new Deceased and Inquisition album coming, I doubt Vermis will even make the top 5. It's good. It's not close to Don't Break the Oath.

Is the new Dream Death really that good? I'd guess I'd better listen to it. Their other album is killer, and has maybe the strangest sense of harmony for like an 80's metal band that I've ever heard, but they did have like a 25 year hiatus. Hope the magic is still there.

I'm really digging the new Ulcerate also. Probably number 2 for me, after, that's right, you guessed it, the new Vampire Weekend.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Shamed posted:

There's a new Deceased album soon? OH YES OH YES OH YES!! This year has been great.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
I'm trying to expand my horizons, is this the place I should be for metal recommendations based on what I already like? If not I can move this post wherever is appropriate.

I really like the following:

Nachtmystium - Instinct:Decay/Eulogy IV (but don't really like their newer "rock" albums)
Fall of the Bastards
Tragedy
Weakling
Ludicra

Even though they might sound sorta disparate, I think they share a common thread compositionally but I have a hard time putting it into words. Kinda black-metal-y (with Tragedy being the exception), more melodic, sorta epic with songs that progress in movements but not insanely proggy 25 minute opuses, some combination of d-beat/crusty and blast beats with more punk/metal drumming.

I like lots of other metal as well but I feel like this sort of thing is a common thread in what I like but I don't have a name for it which makes seeking it out difficult. I find myself checking out anything I come across labeled black metal or crust punk which is fine, but the signal to noise ratio has always been fairly low with that approach.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

himajinga posted:

I'm trying to expand my horizons, is this the place I should be for metal recommendations based on what I already like? If not I can move this post wherever is appropriate.

Nachtmystium - Instinct:Decay/Eulogy IV (but don't really like their newer "rock" albums)
Fall of the Bastards
Tragedy
Weakling
Ludicra

Even though they might sound sorta disparate, I think they share a common thread compositionally but I have a hard time putting it into words. Kinda black-metal-y (with Tragedy being the exception), more melodic, sorta epic with songs that progress in movements but not insanely proggy 25 minute opuses, some combination of d-beat/crusty and blast beats with more punk/metal drumming.

I like lots of other metal as well but I feel like this sort of thing is a common thread in what I like but I don't have a name for it which makes seeking it out difficult. I find myself checking out anything I come across labeled black metal or crust punk which is fine, but the signal to noise ratio seems really low with that approach.

I think you might be better off asking in the black metal thread, but for what it's worth, I think you'd dig Ash Borer. Long black metal songs a la Weakling, with a punky influence particularly in the self-titled. If you dig Tragedy you'll probably like Martyrdöd as well, they're really melodic in their approach to crust. Give Oathbreaker's new album Eros|Anteros a look too, it's a good mix of hardcore and black metal (a lot better than bands like The Secret in my opinion). At least one of the people involved in Weakling has a new project called Dispirit which you might want to check out, although I haven't listened yet myself, so I can't vouch for how good it is.

Definitely check out Altar of Plagues as well, Mammal is a great "post-black metal" album that avoids a lot of the genre cliches, and the newest album Teethed Glory and Injury is mostly made up of shorter songs that have a heavy industrial influence as well as influences from chaotic hardcore bands like Converge. It's a really inventive album and well worth hearing.

I dunno if any of this is exactly what you're looking for, but it's the stuff that struck me as most appropriate anyway.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

nomapple posted:

I think you might be better off asking in the black metal thread, but for what it's worth, I think you'd dig Ash Borer. Long black metal songs a la Weakling, with a punky influence particularly in the self-titled. If you dig Tragedy you'll probably like Martyrdöd as well, they're really melodic in their approach to crust. Give Oathbreaker's new album Eros|Anteros a look too, it's a good mix of hardcore and black metal (a lot better than bands like The Secret in my opinion). At least one of the people involved in Weakling has a new project called Dispirit which you might want to check out, although I haven't listened yet myself, so I can't vouch for how good it is.

Definitely check out Altar of Plagues as well, Mammal is a great "post-black metal" album that avoids a lot of the genre cliches, and the newest album Teethed Glory and Injury is mostly made up of shorter songs that have a heavy industrial influence as well as influences from chaotic hardcore bands like Converge. It's a really inventive album and well worth hearing.

I dunno if any of this is exactly what you're looking for, but it's the stuff that struck me as most appropriate anyway.

Wow, that was quick, I'll definitely check that stuff out! I remember hearing Mammal a while back and digging it but forgot to go back and pick it up. Thanks!

Shamed
Feb 14, 2012

fappenmeister posted:

There's a new Deceased album soon? OH YES OH YES OH YES!! This year has been great.

Yep. I only wish I wasn't missing the release show for it, but I moved away for school. I've been to 3 Deceased shows in the past year, they all killed. King Fowley recognized us both times after the first- at the last one my bro was blessed with a nickname by King Fowley, he shall forever be known as Dr. Thrash now. I was pulled up on stage during the last song of Deceased's set, too. :allears:

Basically, if you have the chance to catch Deceased live, do not miss it for any reason. They are the loving best.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

himajinga posted:

Fall of the Bastards
Tragedy
Weakling
Ludicra

I like lots of other metal as well but I feel like this sort of thing is a common thread in what I like but I don't have a name for it which makes seeking it out difficult. I find myself checking out anything I come across labeled black metal or crust punk which is fine, but the signal to noise ratio has always been fairly low with that approach.

Something tells me you would absolutely love Castevet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-50jZQYSOuM

Maybe Krallice too since you are a Weakling fan, though that might be pushing it a bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU9GAxrQHmg

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Darkspace and Paysage d'Hiver are musts if you like Weakling. Or any atmospheric black metal really.

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 27, 2013

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Shamed posted:

Yep. I only wish I wasn't missing the release show for it, but I moved away for school. I've been to 3 Deceased shows in the past year, they all killed. King Fowley recognized us both times after the first- at the last one my bro was blessed with a nickname by King Fowley, he shall forever be known as Dr. Thrash now. I was pulled up on stage during the last song of Deceased's set, too. :allears:

Basically, if you have the chance to catch Deceased live, do not miss it for any reason. They are the loving best.

Hahaha, that sounds funny as gently caress, but unfortunately I'm an Aussie so no-go unless they tour locally, or catch them overseas.

Shamed
Feb 14, 2012

fappenmeister posted:

Hahaha, that sounds funny as gently caress, but unfortunately I'm an Aussie so no-go unless they tour locally, or catch them overseas.

If it makes you feel better, Australia have had the best demo release this year so far with Bastardizer's Demo(n)s Unleashed.

Plus, you always have Evil Invaders. Was jealous as hell of that lineup this year. I'm sure next year will have even more filthy disgusting Venom worship. The best kind of worship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
So has anyone had a chance to listen to the leak from Twilight of the Gods?

http://www.season-of-mist.com/bands/twilight-of-the-gods

I heard the live set was so-so considering it was all Bathory covers, but I am definitely curious to hear an original album.

Lyric video from the title track "Fire on the Mountain": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmtBeUA8cTA

Ninja edit: Those falsettos: :black101:

thehouseplant fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 28, 2013