Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caufman
May 7, 2007

Roxors posted:

I REALLY hope that by magic mods he means we will be able to do heists as wizards, throwing fire balls instead of shotgun blasts, using a magic carpet instead of a getaway chopper, maybe stealing a philosopher stone instead of a silly fusion engine.

I do hope mod support is coming soon, considering the mods/maps/skins we got for Left 4 Dead, I expect it would be pretty awesome.

Sorry to say, magic mods refers to Magic Johnson as Payday crosses over with Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
It's really nice to see them keep adjusting experience. And all the other stuff of course. I just don't want people to have a need to play as long as I did to reach 100. Crazy skill combos be fun, yo.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Caufman posted:

Sorry to say, magic mods refers to Magic Johnson as Payday crosses over with Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden.

I chaos dunked a dozer and the game crashed! :saddowns:

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

Caufman posted:

"Is that... GET OUT OF THERE GUYS IT'S THE CHAOS DUNK!"

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

"When can we expect the lady heister to be released? Is sometime in the next 4-6 weeks at all realistic?"
@locust9: "no"

@locust9: "new tweak for loco is 8m full dmg 14m falloff"

"cool. think you could add rate of fire and reload time to the stats too? I see they're not listed on your preview screenshots"
@locust9: "will talk. To Karl. Probably not for patch tho."
@locust9: "we will never go back to the 40m shotgun."

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Not getting a patch today was fine, but then I find out that the woman heister isn't even going to be in the next patch, or in the next month. :smith:

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

King Vidiot posted:

Not getting a patch today was fine, but then I find out that the woman heister isn't even going to be in the next patch, or in the next month. :smith:

Not really sure what you were expecting, they have to do new mocap and VO work for it and it's not something they can do in a week when they're trying to maintain the ridiculous patching pace they've got going on.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

King Vidiot posted:

Its probably a pretty significant addition to the game (depending on how the characters are coded), not to mention mocap, VA (not just her, everyone, which means scheduling time for at least 6 different voice actors), fixing the animations, etc. Everything they've done up to this point seems to be simple code changes, except for the new heist which a single designer probably did.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Then again she's probably a thing that's been in the works for *quite* awhile, if not outright stated in the design docs for the game. It's not like Overkill wake up in the morning and just go "let's add a new heister, that seems like a popular thing! Also, let's throw in a new heist while we are at it".

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I want them to do that new heister right, not fast. But that should be pretty obvious thing to say.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Feeble posted:

Just got word from Goldfarb, no lady heister in the next 4-6 weeks, apparently it'll take longer than that.

There is a strip club right across from their office. I want to get the team a stripper gram or a gift card.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Rapdawg posted:

There is a strip club right across from their office. I want to get the team a stripper gram or a gift card.
I like this idea... Do swedish strippers take euros? And could we pay them extra to wear a clown mask for added fan creepiness?

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Pimpmust posted:

Then again she's probably a thing that's been in the works for *quite* awhile, if not outright stated in the design docs for the game. It's not like Overkill wake up in the morning and just go "let's add a new heister, that seems like a popular thing! Also, let's throw in a new heist while we are at it".

I could almost believe it with their frenetic patch schedule.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Its probably a pretty significant addition to the game (depending on how the characters are coded), not to mention mocap, VA (not just her, everyone, which means scheduling time for at least 6 different voice actors), fixing the animations, etc. Everything they've done up to this point seems to be simple code changes, except for the new heist which a single designer probably did.

They could say she's Hoxton's sister or something so they wouldn't have to record VA for anyone except her. :haw:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Every character has lines for interacting with every other character. Bare minimum you'd need to record Chains/Hoxton/Wolf/Dallas saying "Hey, Nikita, come on!" or whatever.

It's really quite a bit when you look at it.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

TheChad posted:

I could almost believe it with their frenetic patch schedule.

Same. Especially because their lead dev is usually all "That sounds like a great idea, we'll have it modded into the game within a few weeks"

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Deviant posted:

Every character has lines for interacting with every other character. Bare minimum you'd need to record Chains/Hoxton/Wolf/Dallas saying "Hey, Nikita, come on!" or whatever.

It's really quite a bit when you look at it.

Also Bain saying specific character lines, like when they get knocked down or are taken into custody.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

fennesz posted:

Same. Especially because their lead dev is usually all "That sounds like a great idea, we'll have it modded into the game within a few weeks"

Then half the time they do. :stare:

I'm pretty sure they are staffed by robots or coke addicts.

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Also Bain saying specific character lines, like when they get knocked down or are taken into custody.

I think Bain is just voice acted by a guy who works at Overkill, so at least they have easy access to him.

EDIT: It's Simon Viklund, who is apparently the audio director and composer at Starbreeze.

IAmUnaware fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 23, 2013

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

I dunno about anyone else but I really wish we got more heist-specific lines. I miss GET THE BAGS OUT, GET THE MONEY! so bad.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Pimpmust posted:

It's not like Overkill wake up in the morning and just go "let's add a new heister, that seems like a popular thing! Also, let's throw in a new heist while we are at it".

Given the implementation of some things within this game, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the lady heister's genesis was exactly that.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

TheChad posted:

Then half the time they do. :stare:

I'm pretty sure they are staffed by robots or coke addicts.
Remember they completely made back their development costs on preorders alone. This, in a relatively small studio that had only released two games prior, neither of which had anywhere near as much success.

So basically I'm saying it's coke. I'm willing to bet there's more lines going on in that office building than a referee convention, a zebra slaughterhouse and a game of tetris combined. How else do you explain Goldfarb's day long twitter answering and enthusiasm? He's taking a little snort for each tweet he answers, it's his skinner box-esque reward system.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So I've heard some excellent stuff about this game and I'm considering picking it up on Steam (or just waiting for a sale.)

Is it still pretty accessible coming in fresh or has the playerbase kind of advanced to more speedy runthroughs?

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

So I've heard some excellent stuff about this game and I'm considering picking it up on Steam (or just waiting for a sale.)

Is it still pretty accessible coming in fresh or has the playerbase kind of advanced to more speedy runthroughs?

Very accessible. Just get in the goon group and mumble, and hook up with some goons. The game is a lot of fun, don't let the complaints fool you. Pubs are a mixed bag, but I have had great experiences with the goons.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Feeble posted:

I like this idea... Do swedish strippers take euros? And could we pay them extra to wear a clown mask for added fan creepiness?

No, but after looking at their site I've found some options and think this would be a funny thing to do- if done well.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

If you see me online (I usually idle on chat), I can start a group for speedruns and get you filthy rich and with shitloads of XP in no time. Just get mumble, get on Steam's group and you'll find people to play with.

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

I think David Goldfarb is mad at me on twitter. He reallllly doesn't seem to like the idea of shotguns being useful past 12m. I don't even use shotties, I didn't even when they were the uberweapons 90% of the playerbase was using, I just want my enforcer buddy to be able to hit things ten feet away and actually hurt them.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

I think David Goldfarb is mad at me on twitter. He reallllly doesn't seem to like the idea of shotguns being useful past 12m. I don't even use shotties, I didn't even when they were the uberweapons 90% of the playerbase was using, I just want my enforcer buddy to be able to hit things ten feet away and actually hurt them.

I took a week and a half break, came back to the game and spec'd back into Enforcer from whatever strange build I had set up before I stopped playing. Enforcer is pretty not good right now. The damage from all the shotguns is just pitiful, even close up. The saw and the heavy armor are the only good things about enforcer right now. I think I'm just going to spec back to Tech. You can still get 1-shot-kill headshots with the 308, right? Not only that, but trip mines are much more useful now that specials travel in packs.

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

ten_twentyfour posted:

I took a week and a half break, came back to the game and spec'd back into Enforcer from whatever strange build I had set up before I stopped playing. Enforcer is pretty not good right now. The damage from all the shotguns is just pitiful, even close up. The saw and the heavy armor are the only good things about enforcer right now. I think I'm just going to spec back to Tech. You can still get 1-shot-kill headshots with the 308, right? Not only that, but trip mines are much more useful now that specials travel in packs.

Yeah, Tech bonus grants 1-shot kills with M308, and trips are way better for killing Dozers than shotguns are or ever will be. The saw is still pretty good but I see absolutely no reason anyone should bring a shotgun anymore, and from my limited experience the community agrees with me as I don't really see shotties anymore.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Well obviously he is. Probably furious even. You know what I think would cheer him up? Strippers. Pay some strippers to show up at overkill on friday bearing cards that read Long range shotguns not OP. I think he'll get the message.

Rapdawg posted:

No, but after looking at their site I've found some options and think this would be a funny thing to do- if done well.
I'm pretty sure there's no possible way to do this well but I'm also pretty sure there's no possible way for it not to be funny. I also think I've found a gullible rube to cough up the € to pay for it.

Edit: Contemplating tweeting Goldfarb asking if he prefers blondes, brunettes or redheads. Do we know if Overkill has any female or gay employees? Maybe we should get a few male dancers as well, just to cover our bases?

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 23, 2013

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

You can be a murder machine as enforcer with assault rifles and SMGs. Pre patch #11 I was a shotgun tech and hell if I don't miss the old shotguns (the reinfeld is pitiful now and looks like people only care about the loco) but I adapted and tasted the ghost tree and some mastermind skills and I'm more versatile now.

I'm level 98 right now and this will be my lvl100 build (almost what I'm using right now but I'll ditch inside man and the XP bonus):
http://www.pd2skills.info/#/profile/guiller_tech_ghost/

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Pimpmust posted:

This is kind of why I assumed the new heister would be done come next patch. Goldfarb did say "most of" the stuff they were working on would be done in time for the patch, and I figured that if they had an in-game model then it was something they already had done some work on and put some time and thought into.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Feeble posted:

Well obviously he is. Probably furious even. You know what I think would cheer him up? Strippers. Pay some strippers to show up at overkill on friday bearing cards that read Long range shotguns not OP. I think he'll get the message.

I'm pretty sure there's no possible way to do this well but I'm also pretty sure there's no possible way for it not to be funny. I also think I've found a gullible rube to cough up the € to pay for it.

Edit: Contemplating tweeting Goldfarb asking if he prefers blondes, brunettes or redheads. Do we know if Overkill has any female or gay employees? Maybe we should get a few male dancers as well, just to cover our bases?

I considered having four male strippers also, but I think asking them if they have a woman who can deliver a telegram would be awesome- especially if she reads what is basically a thanks for portraying a tough woman inside of a video game and not just making her a sexual object. Then, if a Ukrainian or Russian dancer is possible, we have them sing the Vlad song.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

King Vidiot posted:

This is kind of why I assumed the new heister would be done come next patch. Goldfarb did say "most of" the stuff they were working on would be done in time for the patch, and I figured that if they had an in-game model then it was something they already had done some work on and put some time and thought into.

Obviously the most important part is still not done, her custom Mask :colbert:

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Rapdawg posted:

I considered having four male strippers also, but I think asking them if they have a woman who can deliver a telegram would be awesome- especially if she reads what is basically a thanks for portraying a tough woman inside of a video game and not just making her a sexual object. Then, if a Ukrainian or Russian dancer is possible, we have them sing the Vlad song.
Definitely better than my plan of having four male strippers show up in suits and clown masks, only to reveal that *gasp* the suits are tear-away and they've got nothing but dollar sign speedos underneath awwww yeah

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

I think I might have responded to you on this, but the way I see it each gun needs to fit a role such that the shotgun primary / shotgun secondary build people seem to love should actually limit your effectiveness. A build like that should actually be a bad idea, and right now "I can only effectively kill things if they're not at distance" is why.

I'm mid-tier Mastermind and right now even though I'm starting to spec into pistol skills, I still find myself bringing that Locomotive for a secondary because it's much, much easier to get a headshot with a shotgun compared to a Bronco. (That is not something anybody would ever say regarding the first Payday!) What's more, mods enable the shotguns to hold more rounds than the comparably damaging pistols, and unlike those pistols you can interrupt your reload with a shotgun to fire. You can even stick silencers on the things. So with all those advantages, if shotguns were ALSO viable at range there would be very little reason to use AR/pistol/SMG...and we have pages and pages of pre-patch posts in this very thread affirming this as proof.

Most of Payday 2 is set within buildings anyway such that 12m is well within the shotgun's range of effectiveness throughout most of the map. This is why the Mosconi (that I personally can't use for crap) still cleans house. But if there's a sniper on the roof on the buildings overlooking the bank and you're at the door, you SHOULD have to switch to something else to pop his helmet. How many maps is the shotgun really a bad idea such that "aw man, sorry guys, I'd love to help but this shotgun's no good" is something that could be said? I also have friends who spec Enforcers and they tend to quite enjoy having either AR/shotgun, shotgun/SMG, or shotgun/pistol builds.

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012

ten_twentyfour posted:

The damage from all the shotguns is just pitiful, even close up.

What? The Mosconi still one-shots everything non-special (and kills tasers in two) at pretty much any indoor range, and the Reinfeld without shark teeth only takes one extra hit to bring down tans and tasers while being able to pour damage into a dozer's faceplate a lot more quickly. I don't know if shark teeth would push it over the one-shot threshold on tans or not, but in my experience the accuracy loss they cause makes it pretty difficult to shoot any heads on purpose.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Oh yeah, my friend surprised me yesterday by gifting me this game. I haven't played since beta so I'm a little rusty. So if anyone would like to rob stuff then add me on Steam. Phorrum

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
For mostly indoor maps, I tend to run a Mosconi/Crosskill or Mosconi/Bronco. I do outdoor work with the handgun, and indoors I bust skulls with the mosconi. It is just so much more forgiving indoors than an assault rifle. For heavily outdoor maps, I'll bring an M308 and a subgun, pistol, or loco, depending on my mood. I'm a very finnicky baby when it comes to guns, so I tend to keep my options open with regard to secondaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
People are acting like the shotguns were replaced with marshmallows but I take them for Rats 1, Watchdogs 2 and Firestarters 2 as well as the occasional bank heist and I find it's still pretty goddamn effective. The only real difference is that they're now amazing at short range, okay at medium range and complete pants at long range instead of being better than everything at every range.

Well, except the Loco. That's straight-up busted, and getting it's range extended in the next patch.

• Locked thread