Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

Maybe he's really embarrassed about something?

Anyway, what are some solid builds in this version? Also, breaking town size and spawn rate is crazy fun. Size 16 towns, +50 spawn rate means no shelter at spawn and insta death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Melee is loving brutal in the newer builds. Archery is powerful later but early game you'll be chasing rabbits and firing hundreds of blowgun darts to no effect. Starting with a point in melee, a point in dodge and Krav Maga lets you destroy hordes by exploiting the environment. By the time you kick in a pawn shop and find a rapier, you'll be one-shotting bears, parrying hulks like Errol loving Flynn and cutting down mofos like Inigo Montoya. Shopping carts make melee way more viable, as you can pull around a shopping cart for storage while wearing only light armor that allows you to move like a whirlwind around Z's.

My current build started with Krav Maga, moved to archery for a bit then switched to a rifle with a bayonet once my firearms, melee, dodge and cutting all hit around 5-6. I only went to the rifle because of labs and their large numbers of turrets and exploding robots that made melee problematic at best and stairwells that prevent me from dragging down a shopping cart, causing me to throw on a rucksack, trench coat and a ton of encumbering holsters, quivers and tool belts.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Sep 23, 2013

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Krav Maga has always been crazy powerful, but it looks even more so now in comparison since Ranged has been nerfed so hard.

Tosca Cake
Oct 30, 2011
Can confirm that Krav Maga is a really effective weapon once you've gained a few levels (currently running around lvl 8-9) Combined with the 'Quick' trait and some stimulants, my character is running around scavenging for some guns and hopefully some mutagens to play with while the undead hoards fall before his mighty fists :black101:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Tyskil posted:

The dude above me already replied to this pretty good but yeah, trying to put in hard goals into this game will literally turn all its strengths against it. Most of the people that like this game like it because it's so freeform.
I wasn't talking about putting in hard goals. The primary thrust of my suggestion was about character progression, and I'm frankly kinda surprised that general opinion is so against it. Is there any game out there that you can name that's worse for having perks, feats, whatever one would want to call that? Maybe this is more of a contested idea than I thought, but I certainly don't know of any.

edit: It looks like recipes are broken in the experimental. I read all of cucina italiana without getting the recipes, and reading "what's a transistor?" isn't teaching me how to make extra battery mods. :|

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 23, 2013

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Strudel Man posted:

I wasn't talking about putting in hard goals. The primary thrust of my suggestion was about character progression, and I'm frankly kinda surprised that general opinion is so against it. Is there any game out there that you can name that's worse for having perks, feats, whatever one would want to call that? Maybe this is more of a contested idea than I thought, but I certainly don't know of any.
I was talking more about the kind of endgame someone described where you fight the cyberdemon and escape to space or whatever, I'm ambivalent about perks. How would you structure something like that, though? Cataclysm doesn't have a level system or even XP, so I'm not sure how perks and/or feats would be allocated to the character.

Something like the current bionics system where you find the perk somewhere in-game through exploration seems like it would work best, but then you'd really just end up with bionics again.

Strudel Man posted:

edit: It looks like recipes are broken in the experimental. I read all of cucina italiana without getting the recipes, and reading "what's a transistor?" isn't teaching me how to make extra battery mods. :|
You don't always get recipes on the first try, keep reading even after you're not getting any skill advances anymore.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

I was talking more about the kind of endgame someone described where you fight the cyberdemon and escape to space or whatever, I'm ambivalent about perks. How would you structure something like that, though? Cataclysm doesn't have a level system or even XP, so I'm not sure how perks and/or feats would be allocated to the character.

Something like the current bionics system where you find the perk somewhere in-game through exploration seems like it would work best, but then you'd really just end up with bionics again.
No, that would be awful. The whole problem with finding stuff in the wild is that it's randomized, so you have no real choices in the development of your character's abilities.

The simplest thing to work within the current system would be if it were handed out based on kills, but I don't know. There are probably other ways. Cataclysm may not explicitly have XP, but it certainly does have "skill points distributed," which could occupy a similar role, if it had to.

quote:

You don't always get recipes on the first try, keep reading even after you're not getting any skill advances anymore.
I'm not getting any messages about recipes whatsoever, and I tried a couple times more just in case, even when it was telling me I wouldn't learn anything more from the book (it doesn't do that in stable, if there are recipes you've yet to learn). It's borked.

Curiously, it also looks like item flags aren't displaying on examination. So you don't see if weapons can block or whatever.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 23, 2013

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

No, that would be awful. The whole problem with finding stuff in the wild is that it's randomized, so you have no real choices in the development of your character's abilities.
Well, you can go to the places where those things are typically found. Labs, mines, military installations. It's really not terribly hard to find everything you want for once you know what you're looking for. Either way, it's essentially an exploration game. The exploring is the point.

Strudel Man posted:

The simplest thing to work within the current system would be if it were handed out based on kills, but I don't know. There are probably other ways. Cataclysm may not explicitly have XP, but it certainly does have "skill points distributed," which could occupy a similar role, if it had to.
Problem is, the way the game is designed, you 1: never strictly speaking have to kill anything and 2: you can essentially practice your skills in peace forever, giving you the same problem that games like Oblivion and Skyrim have. Either way you run into issues. Tying every perk to a particular skill would be an option, but frankly that would be an awful amount of work to implement and still end up basically reducing character development options to skilling up. Also I can only think of so many useful perks related to, I don't know, driving cars.

Maybe tying special perks into an achievement system of sorts would work, although I'm frankly kind of sick of those. You'd get to pick which perk you'd want to pursue, at least.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005
I think that what I want is a roguelike with similar themes to Cataclysm but with a different focus and different mechanics.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, you can go to the places where those things are typically found. Labs, mines, military installations. It's really not terribly hard to find everything you want for once you know what you're looking for. Either way, it's essentially an exploration game. The exploring is the point.
You can go where 'things' are found, but you have no control over which 'thing' in particular you find. There's no way to aim for, say, the "expanded digestive system" bionic in particular. You can only track down and kill shockers/delve into labs/open up bunkers, and hope and pray that the RNG gives you what you're looking for.

quote:

Problem is, the way the game is designed, you 1: never strictly speaking have to kill anything and 2: you can essentially practice your skills in peace forever, giving you the same problem that games like Oblivion and Skyrim have.

Either way you run into issues. Tying every perk to a particular skill would be an option, but frankly that would be an awful amount of work to implement and still end up basically reducing character development options to skilling up. Also I can only think of so many useful perks related to, I don't know, driving cars.
There's a pretty wide gulf here between 'strictly speaking' and 'actual gameplay.' You're going to kill a whole lot of zombies unless you work very hard to avoid doing so; I wouldn't really consider that sliver of a gameplay style to be sufficient in itself to avoid basing perk acquisition on kills.

If I were to tie perks to skills in any way, it would only be to the extent of having some specific ones open up if you have a certain level of progress in a skill, rather than actually being acquired that way.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

You can go where 'things' are found, but you have no control over which 'thing' in particular you find. There's no way to aim for, say, the "expanded digestive system" bionic in particular. You can only track down and kill shockers/delve into labs/open up bunkers, and hope and pray that the RNG gives you what you're looking for.
Well, the game world is effectively infinite, so I guess you'd eventually find everything that can be found, but fine.

Strudel Man posted:

There's a pretty wide gulf here between 'strictly speaking' and 'actual gameplay.' You're going to kill a whole lot of zombies unless you work very hard to avoid doing so; I wouldn't really consider that sliver of a gameplay style to be sufficient in itself to avoid basing perk acquisition on kills.
It's something a lot of people do in the early game, just sitting in the wilderness for a season or two training up archery, survival and fabrication skills. It's a pretty great way to get yourself a basic set of gear and help your survivability. There's pretty much nothing that you actually need to go into a city for to survive.

The point being, either you gimp people who don't want to play a "murder everything" character or you end up shoving a ton of combat abilities into a character that has never killed anything bigger than a squirrel. Either way is kind of dumb.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Strudel Man posted:

I think the development is slowly getting around to fixing this, just look at the metalworking/smithy recipes. You may not still not be able to avoid going to the outskirts of a city for stuff but you do NOT have to actually locate a welder anymore if you want to fool with cars - you can instead make a makeshift welder to enable the crafting of a forge/anvil/etc. and make your own welder or screwdriver or whatever else is missing from your collection of things. I personally prefer that style of clawing your way up when Lady Luck just isn't doing anything for you.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 23, 2013

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

The point being, either you gimp people who don't want to play a "murder everything" character or you end up shoving a ton of combat abilities into a character that has never killed anything bigger than a squirrel. Either way is kind of dumb.

Wait this is possible? How do you get containers to boil and store water?

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Doug Lombardi posted:

I think that what I want is a roguelike with similar themes to Cataclysm but with a different focus and different mechanics.

Unreal World is fun for a while. It's a survival/crafting roguelike in the same vein, but set in real-world iron age Finland. Fewer things trying to kill you, but starvation and the elements are much more severe. Instead of raiding a science lab to drink mutagens, you track and kill an elk, turn its skin into a cloak and smoke the meat to last you through the winter.

It suffers from the same end game problem as Cataclysm and most other sandbox survival games though.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, the game world is effectively infinite, so I guess you'd eventually find everything that can be found, but fine.
Yes, but again, the point is a lack of real choice in character development. Eventually you can get everything, but at present, there's very little way to get what you want, specifically.

quote:

It's something a lot of people do in the early game, just sitting in the wilderness for a season or two training up archery, survival and fabrication skills. It's a pretty great way to get yourself a basic set of gear and help your survivability. There's pretty much nothing that you actually need to go into a city for to survive.

I don't see any particular reason why squirrels and such would be excluded from the killcount. Indeed, if you were clever about it, you could have certain perks open up based on what, precisely, you've killed, with the "naturists" whose kills come from hunting wild game having access to benefits which enhance that style of play.

Potentially (since normal play of each stripe would see far more zombies killed than squirrels), you could even have them kills 'worth' different amounts, in terms of opening up the next perk.

Plus, of course, there's nothing saying that all of them would be combat abilities. You could easily have a great diversity of little benefits available.

senae posted:

Wait this is possible? How do you get containers to boil and store water?
You can make waterskins eventually, using fur pelts, sinew, and bone needles. At least for storing water. But yeah, "never get anything from a city" is very impractical and essentially a gimmick.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 23, 2013

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
Stone pot/animal skin pouches. It's an enormous pain in the rear end though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

I don't see any particular reason why squirrels and such would be excluded from the killcount. Indeed, if you were clever about it, you could have certain perks open up based on what, precisely, you've killed, with the "naturists" whose kills come from hunting wild game having access to benefits which enhance that style of play.

Potentially (since normal play of each stripe would see far more zombies killed than squirrels), you could even have them kills 'worth' different amounts, in terms of opening up the next perk.

Plus, of course, there's nothing saying that all of them would be combat abilities. You could easily have a great diversity of little benefits available.
I really think this game is combat-heavy enough as it is already without making you grind for kills so you can get perks to grind even more kills. I really just don't like the idea, sorry.

ComradePyro posted:

Stone pot/animal skin pouches. It's an enormous pain in the rear end though.
It's usually one of the first things I do when I start with a bit of survival skill. Cook up squirrel-on-a-stick until you have a bit of cooking, cut up the curtains in the shelter for rags and presto, all you need to make waterskins and a stone pot. It's definitely the easiest way to survive if you don't want to go into the cities too much.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 23, 2013

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

I really think this game is combat-heavy enough as it is already without making you grind for kills so you can get perks to grind even more kills. I really just don't like the idea, sorry.
Ah, well. Obviously I see the impact of it differently, but opinions, et cetera.

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011
Thank you all for this thread and this very good game. I somehow started with a fusion blaster and an internal furnace which made thinks very easy.

I have been playing this for about 18 hours and right now I have 2 very good mutations (quick healing and claws) and managed to increasy my cybernetics with a torso alloy and a battery (thing, I dont know what it does yet). I still have no gun at all because the only source of it would be the gun shop in the MIDDLE of the town. Which I am not prepared to tackle. YET. Right now I am taking bites off the zombies around it and I hope that I will get there in abput 2 hours real time (maybe?). My question to you goons woukd be: should I really be looking forward to raid a gunstore? is this an improvement over my fusion blaster arm? What should I do after that?

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Everything that was in GDA is in the main stable release anyways, so you'd kind of have to start over anyways with new ideas.

Yeah I noticed that, it was one of the reasons I just threw everything out.

First thing on the docket for GDA is to remove all the bad weird bullshit that made it's way into the new builds. It's gotten a bit out of hand.

I'm going to make it a point to play a bit more, but I'm definitely relying on you guys to let me know what you wanted changed or added.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

Yes, but again, the point is a lack of real choice in character development. Eventually you can get everything, but at present, there's very little way to get what you want, specifically.

Hm, since there's a way to "guide" what sort of mutations you get, with specific ____ mutagens, maybe with sufficient levels of the same skills that determine bionic installation you should be able to adapt bionics into other bionics. Not PERFECTLY, but... maybe you can turn two of ANY bionic into a random bionic of a specific category.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you were to add a perk/XP system, wouldn't it be easier to just have it basically give you more XP the longer you stay alive?

I mean, ultimately, the point of the game is surviving, if you can survive, you're playing the game in some valid way or another, because surviving isn't that easy. I mean I suppose you can lock yourself in a sewage plant and hunt squirrels for eternity but you'll probably get bored playing that way, in the course of playing the game in a way that is fun to you, if you can stay alive, you're doing something that merits XP.

So whatever you do, if you can keep doing it and doing it well for days on end, you get XP for it and can buy character upgrades with it. That'd be fairly simple and cool I think.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Doug Lombardi posted:

You might give Rogue Survivor a shot, it's one of the best games of this type in my opinion and it's very accessible for a rogue-like.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
Wrong thread.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Okay, why the heck can't I make a log and sod roof? I've got a log wall next to the square I want to enroofen, and the game is just saying "you cannot build there," which isn't very helpful.

Probably I need more surrounding walls, I guess.

OwlFancier posted:

If you were to add a perk/XP system, wouldn't it be easier to just have it basically give you more XP the longer you stay alive?

I mean, ultimately, the point of the game is surviving, if you can survive, you're playing the game in some valid way or another, because surviving isn't that easy. I mean I suppose you can lock yourself in a sewage plant and hunt squirrels for eternity but you'll probably get bored playing that way, in the course of playing the game in a way that is fun to you, if you can stay alive, you're doing something that merits XP.

So whatever you do, if you can keep doing it and doing it well for days on end, you get XP for it and can buy character upgrades with it. That'd be fairly simple and cool I think.
That would make things quite simple, I suppose. Get a perk every X days, slowing down the longer you're alive.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Sep 24, 2013

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

Okay, why the heck can't I make a log and sod roof? I've got a log wall next to the square I want to enroofen, and the game is just saying "you cannot build there," which isn't very helpful.

Probably I need more surrounding walls, I guess.

That would make things quite simple, I suppose. Get a perk every X days, slowing down the longer you're alive.

That's how Rogue Survivor did it, you get a new perk every day you survive.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

You might give Rogue Survivor a shot, it's one of the best games of this type in my opinion and it's very accessible for a rogue-like.

I like survival game alright but they become boring very quickly once you figure out how to not die, because you can establish a safe equilibrium that an objective based game necessarily excludes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doug Lombardi posted:

I like survival game alright but they become boring very quickly once you figure out how to not die, because you can establish a safe equilibrium that an objective based game necessarily excludes.

I think generally the idea of say, cataclysm, is that you can establish the safe equilibrium, but it's up to you to set objectives on top of that.

There is a survival element yes, but there is a difference between surviving and thriving.

It's sort of the difference between living in a scale recreation of Neuschwanstein, and a dirt hovel in minecraft.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005
I think Cataclysm could reasonably sustain a victory condition that involved a lot of exploration and tested your survival and combat abilities. For example, you could analyze a black box and find out that the apocalypse was actually a prelude to an alien invasion! So you have to find a radio telescope, 3 alien shield codes from crashed alien ships, and a missile silo to destroy the Alien Mothership and save Earth once and for all. That's just something I came up with in 5 minutes but it would definitely break up what can become a monotonous experience of just killing squirrels for their meat every day.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

I think generally the idea of say, cataclysm, is that you can establish the safe equilibrium, but it's up to you to set objectives on top of that.

There is a survival element yes, but there is a difference between surviving and thriving.

It's sort of the difference between living in a scale recreation of Neuschwanstein, and a dirt hovel in minecraft.

Cataclysm is kind of interesting because destroying a Fungal Spire or clearing out all the zombies in town are satisfying because they are:

1) Dangerous and require you to use all your gameplay knowledge.
2) Change the game world to your benefit by removing certain difficult enemy types.

In contrast, the difference between a gigantic castle and a hole in the ground in Minecraft is purely aesthetic, both are equally good at protecting you against wandering monsters.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
I don't know, I don't think Cataclysm seriously needs a big "game over you win" screen. More content and more reason to explore sounds great but I'm a little confused at the people who want this game to have an actual defined end. What happens to your world file when you save the world, does it just get deleted or something? Will there be multiple characters worth of "you did it you stopped all the apocalypses!" scenarios?

Also I forgot to mention to the guy who was unhappy with random mutations: If you are good at first aid you can craft specialized mutagens which will guaranteed give you something out of the specific mutation tree you want and I believe they have a smaller chance of giving you terrible mutations.

Edit: I guess the reason I'm not seeing why Cataclysm needs to be beatable is because I don't really play it to beat it. I just want to run around in a messed up open world and mutate into weird poo poo and cruise around high as gently caress in a homemade killdozer. The defined end goal is have a cool time until my own idiocy kills me.

Tyskil fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Sep 24, 2013

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I've been playing the stable build, and am a bit confused - can you still craft bionics with a high enough Electronics skill? My Electronics is at 9 or 10 but I've got nothing, and when I disassembled an Alloy Plating bionic I got the message that I failed to learn a recipe. Seems kind of pointless to make disassembling a bionic the requirement to learn the recipe, since you can usually only ever install one of each (though now my goal is to break down Power Storage bionics until I learn to mass produce them).

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

Doug Lombardi posted:

Cataclysm is kind of interesting because destroying a Fungal Spire or clearing out all the zombies in town are satisfying because they are:

1) Dangerous and require you to use all your gameplay knowledge.
2) Change the game world to your benefit by removing certain difficult enemy types.

In contrast, the difference between a gigantic castle and a hole in the ground in Minecraft is purely aesthetic, both are equally good at protecting you against wandering monsters.

That gives me an idea; could they incorporate creep/corruption in any fashion? I know the game has little spots where certain monsters spawn, but could there be a feature that these spots will grow and spread over time? Spiders overtaking an entire forest in a giant web death lair or a spire spreading out its tendrils and growing a strange fungal jungle around it. The undead could even have their kind of 'blight cloud' that increases their severity and numbers, creating a gargantuan mobile horde that roams the map with the cloud, numbering zeds in the hundreds.

It'd make worlds much more dynamic as the world changes over time, as well as sometimes uprooting turtling players as the dark forces grow in power. Also gives a valid reason to go in gun-ho and obliterate these areas with gratuitous amounts of napalm. Plus if NPC infighting ever gets implemented, tell me you wouldn't like to see a zombie horde bust through a fungal forest.

Spaceking fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Sep 24, 2013

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Then I had two scoops of meth for breakfast and went to the regional school.

:patriot:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Could use a way to turn fur pelts into leather or something. Leather is pretty tricky to get your hands on 'naturally,' as opposed to chopping up leather pants.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

I think you can chop up a fur pelt into a leather patch the same way as pants.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Whaaaat.

I'm not in a position to check that at the moment, but if so, MAN a lot of this stuff needs to be more clearly documented.

also: The light survivor suit sounds cool, but it's hard for me to feel that I should make it. It has, I guess, 1 encumbrance when fitted and provides 50 storage, which isn't bad. But it takes up both the torso and legs slots, so if I don't wear it, I can instead wear cargo shorts + cargo pants + trenchcoat + utility vest for no encumbrance and 58 storage.

I guess protection is probably better on the survivor suit, but still. Encumbrance and storage tend to be my highest priorities by far.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

esquilax posted:

I think you can chop up a fur pelt into a leather patch the same way as pants.

Wow, this is the first time I heard of this. I just tried it and it does indeed work.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
Okay strange. I'm trying to make a makeshift sword. and I have 4 fabrication skill. But I don't have the option to make the 2 by sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Dotcom656 posted:

Okay strange. I'm trying to make a makeshift sword. and I have 4 fabrication skill. But I don't have the option to make the 2 by sword.

You also need a level in melee. If you have that then I have no clue.