Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
Two extra tracks in the mogg file are a stereo track of a crowd singing along to the song. These tracks are pointed out in the songs.dta as "crowd" audio (just like how it specifies which tracks are the bass or drum audio) and they get weird pan values outside the normal -1 to 1 range that tell the game to play the audio through the rear surround speakers (if your setup supports it). The rest is handled by the game's own engine since Rock Band 3 knows how to run custom crowd audio in order to be backwards compatible with old DLC and disc songs that have it.

E: This was a reply to Helfmyselp and Id normally paste in a quote after discovering I made a new page on accident, but I'm posting from a phone. :negative:

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

pksage posted:

The pack in question comes out on October 18, and I think this thread will dig it. It's a large pack by an artist or band that was never in Rock Band. And you guys can guess, but we're not gonna give any sign (explicit or otherwise) of how close you are. :)

can you at least give us a hint? ;)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

pksage posted:

The pack in question comes out on October 18, and I think this thread will dig it. It's a large pack by an artist or band that was never in Rock Band. And you guys can guess, but we're not gonna give any sign (explicit or otherwise) of how close you are. :)

So if I've never gone through the trouble of setting up my stuff for customs, will this pack be a big enough motivator to do all that?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Orange Harrison posted:

I'm moving to Seattle (heh) so I haven't had internet for over a month as all my poo poo was packed up and tossed around, and why I've gotten very little authoring done since August. I was just popping in on some borrowed wi-fi to say that Minidust was 100% right. Right now I'm working on two songs for a collaborative C3 pack (which I obviously can't name) but after that, I'm going to get back to work on:

The How-were-these-not-in-the-official-Beatles-game 3-pack
  • The Beatles - "She Loves You"
  • The Beatles - Strawberry Fields Forever"
  • The Beatles - "Hey Jude"

All the songs have multitrack audio (even "She Loves You", for which the master tape was lost and only a mono mix exists), no fade-outs, and new to C3 customs thanks to TrojanNemo (by my nudging) custom crowd audio tracks which sing along if your Rock Meter is maxed out (ala 2007-2008 disc and DLC songs).

Why am I telling you all this? I talked it over a lot with TrojanNemo and he said it is ok for me to openly discuss my songs as long as doing so doesn't hint at or spoil what C3 songs are coming out any given week. And I felt I owed you a little something to make it easier to wait out the Beatles drought.
Well I sure am oozing a lot of :smug: and :neckbeard: right now!

Nyxyxylyth
Apr 4, 2013

Joe Don Baker posted:

So if I've never gone through the trouble of setting up my stuff for customs, will this pack be a big enough motivator to do all that?
"Trouble"... "all that"... you're grossly overestimating the difficulty. Five minutes to watch the tutorial video, 15 minutes to download the tools, a couple customs, and get it done.

And if you stumble, you can get help.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

pksage posted:

Pink Floooooooooyd

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
C'mon BRUCE! We need The Boss for our dads to really rock.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Needs more George Harrison or Traveling Wilburys

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Pink Floooooooooyd

There's already some Floyd in Rock Band though. I've played Time via CCC.

C'mon MC Hammer!

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

My guess: Michael Jackson

My dream: Ted Leo and the Pharmacists or Screaming Females

I dunno why Harmonix stopped doing crowd vocals, maybe it just wasn't worth paying Wavegroup for the tracks anymore who knows

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Kaboobi posted:

My guess: Michael Jackson

Beat It is on C3 (care of GH:WT) and Jackson 5 are in Rock Band.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

The T posted:

Beat It is on C3 (care of GH:WT) and Jackson 5 are in Rock Band.

Yeah well The Beatles were in Rock Band but I'd still gladly take/be surprised by a George Harrison pack :colbert:

Also we don't know if customs even count for this

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kaboobi posted:

Yeah well The Beatles were in Rock Band but I'd still gladly take/be surprised by a George Harrison pack :colbert:

Also we don't know if customs even count for this

George Harrison is a seperate artist from The Beatles :colbert:

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Do we have any Traveling Wilburys yet?

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Kaboobi posted:

I dunno why Harmonix stopped doing crowd vocals, maybe it just wasn't worth paying Wavegroup for the tracks anymore who knows

Maybe they made them themselves and had to stop when they laid off so many people they couldn't form a crowd anymore. :v:

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
Too soon, Orange Harrison, too soon :(

I thought I remembered reading way back in the day about Harmonix recording those crowd tracks in-house during lunch breaks or something? They were awesome but probably not the best use of company time.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
If everyone is able to get their songs up in time, the pack in question will be an 11-pack.

Nyxyxylyth posted:

"Trouble"... "all that"... you're grossly overestimating the difficulty. Five minutes to watch the tutorial video, 15 minutes to download the tools, a couple customs, and get it done.

And if you stumble, you can get help.

This can't be overstated! Customs are really, really easy to set up. I'd say it's even easier than the Rock Band Harmonies Project process (though you can do both!) The time investment is a non-issue; the only real concern is the chance of losing your offline scores, which can be avoided if you're careful.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Chairchucker posted:

Do we have any Traveling Wilburys yet?

None the closest we ever got to it was I Won't Back Down by Tom Petty

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Weird Al Yankovich?

Sadly if you're saying the thread will dig it and if posts so far are anything to go by, I don't think I share much music taste in common with the thread :smith:

G20 Sumbitch
Sep 29, 2007

Happy Hockey Is The Best!!!
I'm going for Bondage Fairies.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

You're way off. To improve C3's mainstream advisability, we are only going to release public domain material from October onward. The 11-pack in question is the first batch of Edison Cylinders, with multitracks isolated by me for a truly interactive 1890's experience. Other hits you can expect in the near future include "Good King Wenceslas", "Frère Jacques", and "All Coons Look Alike To Me" (With Pro support!)

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

Fun Shoe
Finally we can get the ORIGINAL Scarborough Fair instead of that lovely cover that the radio is always playing!!

edit: i'm assuming the pro chart will have dual mandolin/lute support?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Macavity posted:

Finally we can get the ORIGINAL Scarborough Fair instead of that lovely cover that the radio is always playing!!

edit: i'm assuming the pro chart will have dual mandolin/lute support?

Charted to the drums.

HelfMyselp
Nov 2, 2004

Dude, check it. It's a trash can. And a rollerblade.

Now shovel some cheese curls into my trash hole...

Orange Harrison posted:

Two extra tracks in the mogg file are a stereo track of a crowd singing along to the song. These tracks are pointed out in the songs.dta as "crowd" audio (just like how it specifies which tracks are the bass or drum audio) and they get weird pan values outside the normal -1 to 1 range that tell the game to play the audio through the rear surround speakers (if your setup supports it). The rest is handled by the game's own engine since Rock Band 3 knows how to run custom crowd audio in order to be backwards compatible with old DLC and disc songs that have it.
I was asking more about the recording process for the crowd audio, but I wasn't exactly clear. That's also good to know!

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Hey, customs creators, you've got just over a month. Better get on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtPs1QrMI1I

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Binowru posted:

Hey, customs creators, you've got just over a month. Better get on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtPs1QrMI1I

This would be the best birthday present *ever*.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
C3 releases for September 27, 2013:

New! 90 Degrees of Pop 3-pack
  • Edwyn Collins - "A Girl Like You" (farottone)
  • Hanson - "MMMBop" (drummerockband)
  • The Presidents of the United States of America - "Video Killed the Radio Star" (farottone)
New! Single
  • Godsmack - "Whatever" (RyanHYK)
FtV: Singles
  • Buckethead & Friends - "We Are One" (Nightmare Lyre and TrojanNemo)
  • Maroon 5 - "Harder to Breathe" (TrojanNemo)
  • Maroon 5 - "She Will Be Loved" (TrojanNemo)

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
ahhhaha I know a few people who will be ridiculously happy for mmmBop. Awesome. "A Girl Like You" rules and I don't mind that Godsmack song at all. Great week!

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

Fun Shoe
Every week of C3 releases is, like, ten times better than 90% of the HMX releases were*. Keep on doing what you're doing!!!!!

*I probably have Bad Taste In Music though

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
[6:46:55 PM] esphermercury: THANKS FOR THE RBHP MENTION ON SA PKSAGE WITH A LINK TO THE AWESOME BOUNCE VIDEO

poo poo. This week also features a slew of Rock Band Harmonies Project releases! Harmonies upgrades include Metallica 01, all of the RB1 on-disc songs from the European release, five songs from the RB2 bonus DLC, The Subways, and a bunch of others! Several songs also got keys added, including the sleeper hit "Bounce" from the RB2 20 free songs. I swear this song is N*SYNC with guitars. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjJ4z2w4fn8

And check out RBHP as a whole, if you haven't. It's an excellent addition to any RB setup, whether you use customs or not, and it's totally legal. One day every Harmonix-authored song will have harmonies! Even if that day is literally years from now at espher's current rate, the poor overworked guy!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqaskL0yRMGBdHF0VUVCaHBITUI1cS1KaGpBejBmTlE&pli=1#gid=28

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Seriously, I love the RBHP.:allears: It effectively makes an "RB3 Version" for a bunch of old songs that I hoped would get that treatment. I guess it didn't turn out to be financially viable for Harmonix to do more of those, but thankfully espher's been on it!

It's definitely more tricky to set up than customs, but once you get the hang of it you'll be glad you did. I'll be glad to answer any questions about the process if pksage doesn't beat me to it.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Can I lose my offline scores setting it up?

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
Edit: Using Party Buffalo worked. That was just strange. Never had the issue before.

Eldritch BiLast fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 28, 2013

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

elf help book posted:

Can I lose my offline scores setting it up?

Hmm, for some reason I can't find the install guide, so here's the quick copy I saved:

Quick Install (will nuke offline scores):

1. Delete cache on 360 HD and power off
2. Load new Upgrades and Dummy file onto main thumb drive
3. Disconnect HD
4. Turn on 360
5. Launch RB3 and have it build initial cache on thumb drive
6. Turn off 360 and reconnect HD
7. Turn on 360, log onto all profiles, then launch RB3
8. Have it build complete cache, then return to Dashboard
9. Move cache and Upgrades file onto HD. Delete Dummy file from thumb drive.
10. Enjoy

Slow Install (should preserve offline scores):

1. Copy songs to be upgraded onto spare flash drive plus one extra track (not actually sure if this is needed)
2. Disconnect spare drive and boot into RB3
3. Delete songs to be upgraded from song select screen
4. Go back to Dashboard, reconnect spare drive and move extra DLC back (see note above)
5. Disconnect spare drive then launch RB3 again to rebuild cache
6. Go back to Dashboard, reconnect spare drive and move upgrade and dummy files over.
7. Disconnect spare drive then launch RB3 again to rebuild cache
8. Go back to Dashboard, reconnect spare drive, move upgraded songs over and delete dummy files.
9. Disconnect spare drive then launch RB3 again to rebuild cache
10. Go back to Dashboard, reconnect spare drive and backup cache file.

As you can see, the slow version can be sloooooooooooooooooooooow, primarily because of step 3. Hope you didn't buy everything as singles! :v:

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

pksage posted:

And check out RBHP as a whole, if you haven't. It's an excellent addition to any RB setup, whether you use customs or not, and it's totally legal. One day every Harmonix-authored song will have harmonies! Even if that day is literally years from now at espher's current rate, the poor overworked guy!
It looks like HMX isn't purging the leaderboards of RBHP scores anymore (though they still are for custom Pro upgrades). So you can even post your harmonies scores to Rock Central and compete with other modders.

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.

pksage posted:

[6:46:55 PM] esphermercury: THANKS FOR THE RBHP MENTION ON SA PKSAGE WITH A LINK TO THE AWESOME BOUNCE VIDEO

poo poo. This week also features a slew of Rock Band Harmonies Project releases! Harmonies upgrades include Metallica 01, all of the RB1 on-disc songs from the European release, five songs from the RB2 bonus DLC, The Subways, and a bunch of others! Several songs also got keys added, including the sleeper hit "Bounce" from the RB2 20 free songs. I swear this song is N*SYNC with guitars. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjJ4z2w4fn8

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqaskL0yRMGBdHF0VUVCaHBITUI1cS1KaGpBejBmTlE&pli=1#gid=28

Quoting this for "Bounce" love; seriously, that song rules and it's a shame we didn't get much more from The Cab, because it's one of the RB songs that prompted me to get an entire album from a band.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

thatguyclint posted:

Quoting this for "Bounce" love; seriously, that song rules and it's a shame we didn't get much more from The Cab, because it's one of the RB songs that prompted me to get an entire album from a band.

Rock Band is the second biggest reason why my music collection is so big now. (Number one being the iPod). I've downloaded (legally) 7 albums and bought about 40 CDs specifically from hearing their songs in Rock Band. Some were even RBN CDs! (Children of Nova never got the recognition they deserved).

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Does anybody have a preferred USB drive for setting up customs on?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
After having put a custom hard disk inside my 360 and being disappointed with the results I really doubt that that speed of the USB device really matters as long as it's not utter garbage.
(So any name brand device ought to be fine.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analog
Feb 2, 2001

Anyone still playing this on PS3? I'm NotDigital on PSN and I primarily play expert guitar/bass, occasionally vocals. I've got a lot of DLC but if you're a perfectionist no need to add me because I'm not interested - I play purely for fun, occasionally intoxicated. If you're looking for the same feel free to add me.

• Locked thread