Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Manifest Dynasty posted:

I know the fish-out-of-water modern technology jokes are cliche and all, but I like the way this show does them. The line in the commercials about the cop's gun makes me laugh.

It's because they skip the lowest hanging fruit for the fruit 2 inches higher, which no one else has ever bothered to pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Gyges posted:

It's because they skip the lowest hanging fruit for the fruit 2 inches higher, which no one else has ever bothered to pick.

Also, the jokes make sense within the character. Ichabod is a highly intelligent, well educated man. He sees the car, notes it has four wheels like a carriage or coach and doesn't need to say out loud that "It's a horseless carriage." Sure, in 230 (not 250) years there have been advances and transportation would see quite a few of them. But the idea that you can touch a button in the vehicles and make the windows go up and down, that's just fuckin' cool...

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Decided to watch the pilot on the Fox website (which I'm surprised runs way smoother compared to CBS) just to distract myself. Thought it was gonna be dumb fun with supernatural shenanigans and some likeable leads.

And now I find all of my emotional investment eagerly awaiting for the next seven years :911:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I just watch this with three "tactical realism" guys who were not into it at all in the beginning, but I managed to make them sit through the whole thing and it was great to watch as their reactions slowly took a 180 on the show.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I do like the writers throwing in that "seven years" line. "Look, guys, we want to make this show for seven seasons, okay?!"

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Even with only the pilot aired, I'm ready for 7 seasons of this.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

nooneofconsequence posted:

It was loving badass when the Horeseman took up the shotgun and rifle. I'm hooked.

That was my favorite part of the show so far. Sure, I think the Horseman had a musket or whatever during the war scenes, but instead of having him always use that axe in modern times he loads up on the best weapons he can find.

Horseman with a shotgun was loving metal.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
Did the horseman get his head back at the end?

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

No, Satan or some other more powerful thing killed the John Cho character. Last we saw of the head was them carrying it through the police station iirc

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Somehow I doubt the horseman's head will be safe in the evidence room at a police station.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Why can't they just take the head out of the jar and bash it into powder with a big hammer? Wouldn't that solve everything?

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
If it was me, I'd get some guys with axes and chainsaws to go after him and dismember him, then just let stumpy lie there until direct sunlight fries his evil rear end.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Episode blurb for tonight:

ICHABOD AND ABBIE TRY TO DETERMINE WHICH WITCH IS WHICH? ON AN ALL-NEW "SLEEPY HOLLOW" MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 23, ON FOX

Still adjusting to his 21st century reality, ICHABOD CRANE (Tom Mison) and Det. ABBIE MILLS (Nicole Beharie) move forward in their mission to unravel the mysteries lurking in Sleepy Hollow. A frightful vision from Ichabod's former wife, KATRINA (Katia Winter), sends the unlikely duo on the hunt for a vengeful witch from the 1700s who has been awoken by unknown evils and is on a path of destruction in the quaint town. Meanwhile, despite all odds, Officer ANDY BROOKS (John Cho) is back and on a questionable mission of his own.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

johntfs posted:

If it was me, I'd get some guys with axes and chainsaws to go after him and dismember him, then just let stumpy lie there until direct sunlight fries his evil rear end.

I don't think it's that sunlight "fries his evil rear end" ala vampires and more that he goes away when the sun rises and can't come back until it's down again.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

GreenNight posted:

Meanwhile, despite all odds, Officer ANDY BROOKS (John Cho) is back and on a questionable mission of his own.

Don't know why I didn't see that coming.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
I almost wish Sleepy Hollow had started earlier in the year. It's the perfect refresher after each Sunday's soul-crushing installment of Breaking Bad.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

They're probably going to bring the seven deadly sins in too aren't they?

One for each season.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Yeah, this show is fantastic. It joins one of only a couple shows that are in the "can't wait for the next episode/watch immediately" category for me, as opposed to just watching whenever. And feeling that way about it after only the pilot puts it in even rarer company. I hope it stays this awesome.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
It would be pretty hilarious if the show completely changed direction and just sucked balls from here on out. Are there any other shows that had awesome pilots and then just went terrible? Besides like, The Wire and maybe the perennially overrated Breaking Bad

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Conquistador posted:

It would be pretty hilarious if the show completely changed direction and just sucked balls from here on out. Are there any other shows that had awesome pilots and then just went terrible? Besides like, The Wire and maybe the perennially overrated Breaking Bad

See avatar.

\/

Yes I'm reffering indeed to Last Resort.

Zythrst fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 23, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Last Resort.

Edit: See?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The Walking Dead is of course famous for everyone on TVIV loving the pilot and hating the show.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Oh yeah Last Resort is a good example. I actually liked that show though tbh :shrug:

It was worth it for the end of the last episode imo

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Wow, I remember making fun of the concept of this show a few weeks ago and now here I am looking forward to the next episode.

Conquistador posted:

FlashForward had a great pilot episode and then went to poo poo almost right away, aside from a couple of oddly good episodes after that.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
The writers have an official twitter now if you're into following TV show writer's twitters.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Random Stranger posted:

I don't think it's that sunlight "fries his evil rear end" ala vampires and more that he goes away when the sun rises and can't come back until it's down again.

The show let us see smoke start coming off of him ay dawn and Crane's witch-wife stated that sunlight was lethal to him.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Slate Action posted:

Somehow I doubt the horseman's head will be safe in the evidence room at a police station.
Magnets, bitch!

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
There is a new episode on tonight, I've PM'd Deadpool to ask for a sticky but if another mod sees this first, could you please? :)

I also corrected the date in the OP to the new date Wikipedia had, and added some twitter/website/tumblr resources.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Mons Hubris posted:

Why can't they just take the head out of the jar and bash it into powder with a big hammer? Wouldn't that solve everything?

Probably for whatever reason they didn't do that in the 1700s.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Here we go!

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Episode two - let's hope it stays awesome.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Previously on Sleepy Hollow:

CRAZY poo poo.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

That armor is SO loving RAD.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
By gawd King, it's the Four Horsemen!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Hahaha... a sticky note for the lights. And shower. Everything.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
"LIGHT - ON OFF"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Zero One posted:

Hahaha... a sticky note for the lights. And shower. Everything.

Yeah, I'm loving the explanation notes.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Well, at least he learns quickly eno-OH GOD APES HAVE TAKEN OVER RUN FOR YOUR LIFE

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007
Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.

I know it's a cliche, but I will constantly be charmed by poo poo like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

I don't want a donut hole. :colbert:

"These are good." hahahaha

• Locked thread