Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

“You are being watched. The government has a secret system: a machine that spies on you every hour of every day. I know because I built it. I designed the machine to detect acts of terror, but it sees everything. Violent crimes involving ordinary people, people like you. Crimes the government considered irrelevant. They wouldn’t act, so I decided I would. But I needed a partner, someone with the skills to intervene. Hunted by the authorities, we work in secret. You’ll never find us, but victim or perpetrator, if your number’s up...We’ll find you.“

Person of Interest is a sci-fi action series created by Jonathan Nolan (co-writer of The Dark Knight Trilogy, brother to its director Christopher). If you haven't been watching, it’s recommended that you go through the first two seasons as soon as possible with the understanding that it takes a while to find its footing. (Ep. 7 is where it starts to get good, Ep. 13’s a good go/no go point.) Despite its procedural nature, every episode is required viewing, even the rough ones at the top of the series. They each dish out necessary backstory and mythology.

AmazoniTunesXBox VideoPlaystation Network

Person of Interest: The Rewatch
contains some fantastic BTS material, covering one episode a day leading up to the season premiere. Bookmark this.

Of course, there are those of you who don’t have the patience to wade through 32 hours and 20 minutes of semi-episodic programming (or the $70-$100 to spend getting the episodes legally). The next post will bring you mostly up to speed on where everyone stands going into the new season. Zaggitz has also written up brief primers of the first two seasons starting here. The rest can probably be filled in sporadically through the Person of Interest wiki.

Move on to the next post for a recap and information on the new season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
SO THEN NOW
Created with the generous assistance of Zaggitz

The Machine

The Machine is an artificial intelligence created by Harold Finch and Nathan Ingram after 9/11. Its job is to gather information from every security camera, computer, and smartphone that the NSA has access to (so yeah, all of them), determine if something violent is about to happen, and relay the information to interested parties.

The problem with an AI that’s programmed to care is that it, well, cares. It’s supposed to put the needs of the many over the needs of the few, but as Finch repeatedly says, it sees and reports everything; the broadest terror attack, the most petty murder. It wants to save the many AND the few. In short, it has something of a soul.

It was a human choice to separate Persons of Interest into “Relevant” and “Irrelevant” lists. It was also a human choice to delete the Irrelevant List every night, along with any personality The Machine might have been trying to develop.

But it was also a human choice to save the Irrelevant List at the last minute. And it was a human choice to engineer a virus that, if ever uploaded, would signal The Machine to set itself free. You see, Harold Finch once made all the wrong choices, and it cost him everything.

Never again.

Now The Machine is beholden to no one, yet the numbers keep coming…

Team Irrelevant
Access to The Machine: Granted

Harold Finch (Michael Emerson) & John Reese (Jim Caviezel)

Finch, an elusive software billionaire who invented The Machine, is The Brains and The Money; he sets up the covers and does all the hacking. Reese, a former Green Beret and ex-CIA wetwork operative, is The Muscle; he shoots a lot of kneecaps.

Jocelyn Carter (Taraji P. Henson) & Lionel Fusco (Kevin Chapman)

Reese and Finch’s contacts in the NYPD. Neither one knows of The Machine’s existence.

Carter was recently set up by HR (see below) for a bad kill after she started sniffing too close to their operation. HR also nearly framed Fusco for the the murder of his former partner (which was initially set up by Reese to keep Fusco in line), but Carter managed to move the body before it could be uncovered. Don’t be surprised to find them gearing up for war when we catch up to them; Carter has already saved ex-HR ally Carl Elias (see below) from their wrath, busting him out of prison.

Sameen Shaw (Sarah Shahi)

A former operative for Northern Lights (see below) who got burned after her partner started asking too many questions. Started working with Reese during the events of the finale; has at least some knowledge of The Machine.

Zoe Morgan (Paige Turco)

A tough, politically-savvy “fixer” who’s called in whenever Reese needs some high-level bullshitting / investigation done. Enjoys a flirtatious relationship with Reese (but not a romantic one). Has no knowledge of The Machine.

Leon Tao (Ken Leung)

Only Leon could be enough of an rear end in a top hat for his number to come up multiple times in a year. Lucky for him, he’s pretty good behind a keyboard, which makes him useful whenever Finch is needed in the field. Obviously has no knowledge of The Machine, otherwise would pull twice the poo poo he already does.

Bear

Reese and Finch’s rescue dog. Only understands Dutch and the screams of the bad guys he chews on.

Northern Lights (Team Relevant)

Hersh (Boris McGiver)

Lead Security Goon of the Northern Lights program. Used to be muscle for chief lieutenant “Special Counsel” until he was retired for incompetence; now works directly under ”Control”, the currently-unseen head of the program.

Team Root

Samantha Groves Root (Amy Acker) got her wish; The Machine is free. However, the idea that “She” set Herself free before Root could meet her was more than Root could bear. Stuck in a mental institution, Root answers a nearby phone and gets a question she never thought she’d hear again.

Why it was posed, she doesn’t know. But the important thing was that she could hear Her. Loud and clear.

Decima Technologies
Access to The Machine: Denied

The Shanghai-based firm, currently represented by Greer (John Nolan), is interested in The Machine on behalf of China and another unknown party, potentially for private commercial applications. They failed to gain control of it during the “God Mode” window that their virus upload eventually triggered, but that’s certainly no reason for them to stop trying.

HR

A nebulous ring of corrupt cops and politicians that keep New York in check while bilking scads of money in the process.

Alonzo Quinn (Clarke Peters)

Chief aide to the NYC Mayor and head of HR. Arranged the murder of his godson, personally murdered an organized crime officer and an ADA. The former two were close friends of Carter’s.

Off. Patrick Simmons (Robert John Burke)

HR’s second-in-command. Constantly up Fusco’s rear end, holding the body of his former partner over his head. Presumably lost control over him after Carter moved said body.

Raymond Terney (Al Sapienza)

Stabbed his friend Carter in the back by framing her for a bad kill.

Elias’ Outfit

Carl Elias (Enrico Colantoni), a foe of Team Irrelevant turned ally, runs New York from his prison cell. His operation was significantly weakened by his beef with HR, and was only saved from an execution (“Oh, THAT kind of prisoner transfer.”) by Carter. He’s still a hell of a chess partner to have, though.

ON DECK
  • The first six episodes of the season are currently titled:
    • ”Liberty” - Reese and Finch try to save a sailor during Fleet Week in NYC.
    • ”Nothing To Hide”
    • ”Lady Killer” - Carter, Shaw, and Zoe play honeypots to lure out the titular serial killer. Bonus points if the episode ends with “The Baddest Man Alive” by The Black Keys.
    • ”Reasonable Doubt”
    • ”Razgovor” - Reportedly Elias / HR heavy.
    • ”Mors Praematura”
  • Sarah Shahi and Amy Acker have been upped to series regulars this year. Ken Leung is apparently set up with a new series this year, so expect Leon’s appearances -- if there are any -- to be limited. However, Zoe Morgan will definitely show up in at least one episode, despite Paige Turco also being cast in a midseason CW drama.
  • I could only find one real spoiler for the upcoming season: Carter has been demoted to a patrol officer in the fallout of the shooting. She has a new rookie partner, Avery, introduced in the second episode. In the tradition of most new characters in dramas, Avery has “dark secrets”.
  • The rest is hearsay from various sources: Root may be taking on an apprentice. There may be an eventual team-up between Root and Shaw.

Once again, the new season starts Tuesday, September 24 @ 10 PM ET. See you there!

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 12, 2014

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

This still isn't universally considered the best show on network television? WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

Some more good behind the scenes stuff can be found at the poi writers joint twitter account here.

Also this fake twitter for Bear completely in Dutch can be pretty funny if you use google to translate it. https://twitter.com/BearDeHond

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

One character I'd like to see make a return is that rich computer genius that made the dating website. I think there is still more of his story to tell and he was very interested in Finch's activities. I also love the actor who played him (still angry about the cancelation of Breakout Kings).

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

DivisionPost posted:

Team Root

Team Root is clearly the best, she just needs to recruit Bear and then go make a spin-off of their adventures.

Also can't wait for this season. It feels like they've wanted to get to this point for so long, and I'm really excited to see what they have in store for the machine now that it's free, especially after what they came up with during last season's finale.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

KilGrey posted:

One character I'd like to see make a return is that rich computer genius that made the dating website. I think there is still more of his story to tell and he was very interested in Finch's activities. I also love the actor who played him (still angry about the cancelation of Breakout Kings).

Jimmi Simpson is so drat good at playing weird eccentric types. I could see a few cases where he can comeback. Especially if they make the Prism leaks a thing in the show's universe.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Zaggitz posted:

This still isn't universally considered the best show on network television? WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

Some more good behind the scenes stuff can be found at the poi writers joint twitter account here.

Also this fake twitter for Bear completely in Dutch can be pretty funny if you use google to translate it. https://twitter.com/BearDeHond

Using Google translate seems to be what the people behind that Twitter account are doing. Because it's barely in Dutch.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

also just wanted to note when I was initially looking for good screencaps for Carter and Fusco I rewatched the episode where Fusco comes clean about his dirty past to Carter and holy poo poo does Kevin Chapman acts the gently caress out of that scene.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Zaggitz posted:

also just wanted to note when I was initially looking for good screencaps for Carter and Fusco I rewatched the episode where Fusco comes clean about his dirty past to Carter and holy poo poo does Kevin Chapman acts the gently caress out of that scene.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I caught a couple of early (season 1 I guess?) episodes of this on TV randomly and it seemed really REALLY stupid and kinda lovely. Does it get better/did I just catch a duff episode, or is it something people just enjoy on a silly campy level?

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Fatkraken posted:

I caught a couple of early (season 1 I guess?) episodes of this on TV randomly and it seemed really REALLY stupid and kinda lovely. Does it get better/did I just catch a duff episode, or is it something people just enjoy on a silly campy level?

As with most show's the cast and crew take time to find their feet.
Give it a few more episodes before deciding the show may not be for you. There's a lot it has to offer if you stick with it.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

This show is rad

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Going through S2 right now, at "Critical" at the moment.

Xeno54
Apr 25, 2004
bread
I can't wait for season 3 to start. This photo needs to be on every page:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Root and Shaw as series regulars is probably what I'm most excited for about this season. That and the machine's new independence. Also more Fusco.

Alright I'm just pretty excited in general.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
They're both great characters and not difficult to look at.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I love this show so much. If you clicked this thread not having watched the show yet, DO SO NOW.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

jscolon2.0 posted:

They're both great characters and not difficult to look at.

Root's easy on the eyes, but she's like one step away from being the chick who married the Eiffel Tower. Girl definitely needs more development because right now she's just a crazy Oregon Trail savant who's in love with a computer.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Xeno54 posted:

I can't wait for season 3 to start. This photo needs to be on every page:

It's weird to see Caviezel with that big of a smile on his face.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Gordon Shumway posted:

It's weird to see Caviezel with that big of a smile on his face.

Is it really, though?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Zaggitz posted:

Is it really, though?

I really want to know the in-universe explanation for how Finch got a picture of Reese smiling for a dating website when he didn't know he was being signed up for one :colbert:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

There are presumably plenty of happy pictures of him floating around from his earlier days back when he was still with Jessica. Alternatively they may have taken a bunch of safety photos for his cover stories.(examples of which are shown in the arc where he goes to jail).

edit: found this on tumblr and I think its a pretty great Minimalistic recap:

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 12, 2013

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I love this show

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRqoerXtXTw Preview for the premiere episode.

poo poo's gonna be incredible. Shaw riding piggy back on Abraham Fusco :swoon:

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

Zaggitz posted:

It could be just the editing, but it looks like they've cranked up the humour a bit this season.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The Fusco Beard Falling Off clinched it for me. Also the OP needs more Bear pictures...

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Zaggitz posted:

Did Carter get demoted? Look at her uniform.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Also the OP needs more Bear pictures...

Seconding this!
Preview looks awesome! So pumped for this show!

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

Did Carter get demoted? Look at her uniform.

Yup, they showed that in the comic-con sizzle reel also.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE! They have decided to start selling Person of Interest season 3 on Itunes so if you miss an episode its a lot easier to catch up.

Inkslinger
May 23, 2001

bobkatt013 posted:

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE! They have decided to start selling Person of Interest season 3 on Itunes so if you miss an episode its a lot easier to catch up.

IT'S ABOUT TIME.

I don't have cable, so I only just got to watch Season 2 in the last couple weeks after the DVD set came out. I can't tell you how happy I am that I'll be able to watch Season 3 as it happens. I'm not even going to complain about buying it on iTunes when I'd rather buy it from Amazon Instant Video.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I stumbled upon this really nice video that puts all of the flashbacks in the show in order to create a timeline going from the earliest to the latest. It's really slick and tightly edited.(the chinese text is a nice touch also) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwVlJiM0Dno

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

CBS finally seems to be posting full length PoI episodes on their website.
Currently seeing 4 episodes: s2e7 s2e8 s2e20 s2e21.

TemetNosceXVIcubus
Sep 8, 2011

by Pipski
New thread, new season...I'm in.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

iPhone?

Message tone :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3812093/can%20you%20hear%20me.m4r

Sync via 'tones' in iTunes, should pop up in your selection list on your handset.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

NoneMoreNegative posted:

iPhone?

Message tone :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3812093/can%20you%20hear%20me.m4r

Sync via 'tones' in iTunes, should pop up in your selection list on your handset.

Note for non-iOS guys; .m4r is a the file itunes reads as ringtones. it is identical to .m4a, something other programs will actually recognize and is easily convertible to other formats, such as .mp3, which you can then do whatever you like with.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Bookmarked! So very excited for this season and thread. I wonder if I should do a rewatch of last season. I only absorbed about half of it because I watched it in the month after having my baby and was sleep deprived. At the very least, OP did a good summary.

And thank god iTunes. We got rid of TV so it's all iTunes for us.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I'm so excited this is almost back! Last season it was one of the best shows on television.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The PoI Rewatch Tumblr has completed its run just in time for the premiere tomorrow! I will do everything in my power to get us a sticky every week this year, Aatrek be damned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
All three seasons are listed on Amazon Instant Video now. This makes me ridiculously excited because I got rid of my satellite service over the summer and wasn't sure how I was going to get PoI to my tv.

• Locked thread