Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Negromancer posted:

I am kinda curious with how drug testing is going to change now that weed is legal in washington. Granted I have not had to take a test in years, and the last one had a lot of lead time("we are going to drug test everyone in 1 month, please make sure you can pass it") and that was only due to a new customers regulations and it was only a saliva test(least invasive, shortest detection period).

Alcohol is legal too, but being drunk at work is also generally frowned upon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

blackswordca posted:

Looks like Blackberry is being bought out by a company called "Fairfax Financial Holdings" for the tune of $4.7 billion.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/blackberry-to-be-sold-to-consortium-led-by-fairfax-financial-holdings-1.1864922

I think I will still hold off on that BES10 migration my client wants to do.

If your client wants to do it, and is paying you to do it, then who gives a poo poo?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Alcohol is legal too, but being drunk at work is also generally frowned upon.

Yeah, but there's a difference between "being drunk at work" and "having been drunk two weekends ago". Don't workplace drug tests tend to be detecting the latter? It's not like someone needs to analyze your urine to find out if you're high right now.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

GreenNight posted:

If your client wants to do it, and is paying you to do it, then who gives a poo poo?

Yeah, some people want what they want and the only thing you can do is make sure you have an "I told you so" in writing somewhere that you can point to. We have a medical office as a client where the guy in charge loves macs. It's all he's ever used and he's dead-set against PCs, so Macs for the whole office it is. Except their EMR software doesn't have a Mac version, it's Windows only. So they're currently running it in Windows 7 VMware on Macs. They don't use these computers for anything else.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

drukqs posted:

:negative: The Windows 7 Pro and Office 2010 keys I have memorized are now either completely out of activations or very low :negative:

Back to my ball-and-chain cheat sheet.

Hopefully some less trivial information can overwrite the licenses in my brain.

Why don't you have KMS set up? Makes licensing almost a complete non-issue and it's easy to set up, though kinda badly documented.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Penguissimo posted:

Yeah, but there's a difference between "being drunk at work" and "having been drunk two weekends ago". Don't workplace drug tests tend to be detecting the latter? It's not like someone needs to analyze your urine to find out if you're high right now.

Correct, but with the rash of firings because of stuff people have posted on Facebook that involved alcohol, I dunno if "having been drunk two weekends ago" is as safe as it used to be either.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

mysteryberto posted:

Pro tip to anyone with the cloud to butt extension turned on. It will replace forms you are typing in with butt as well. Normally hilarious but bad for job apps.
Just out of interest, what version were you seeing this on? I have the firefox version and can still google for "The Cloud" with no issue (I'm also seeing "cloud to butt" here but "butt to butt" on the static page)

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

blackswordca posted:

Looks like Blackberry is being bought out by a company called "Fairfax Financial Holdings" for the tune of $4.7 billion.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/blackberry-to-be-sold-to-consortium-led-by-fairfax-financial-holdings-1.1864922

I think I will still hold off on that BES10 migration my client wants to do.
Huh, I guess the answer to the question of "Can Blackberry get anymore hosed?" is "Yes." Getting bought by a company with "financial holdings" in the name can't mean good things for the company getting bought. Although, I'm not sure how Fairfax intends to scam >4.7 billion out of the Blackberry name. I don't think Blackberry has much in the way of valuable assests at this point and who would loan them money (which would be funneled to Fairfax) at this point?

Kyrosiris posted:

Correct, but with the rash of firings because of stuff people have posted on Facebook that involved alcohol, I dunno if "having been drunk two weekends ago" is as safe as it used to be either.
Solution: Don't use facebook. Ticket status: Closed.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

hihifellow posted:

Why don't you have KMS set up? Makes licensing almost a complete non-issue and it's easy to set up, though kinda badly documented.

Boss's response:

"No don't do that. It was a pain in the rear end when I tried it. Plus we would need to buy more licenses as it tracks"

Darn. Could have been a fun project to dump some time into.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

drukqs posted:

Boss's response:

"No don't do that. It was a pain in the rear end when I tried it. Plus we would need to buy more licenses as it tracks"

So his excuse is that he doesn't want to be license compliant? Awesome.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

drukqs posted:

Boss's response:

I setup a KMS server here in about 10 minutes and I had no idea what I was doing. Server 2012 just asks for your primary key and then goes off on its merry way. 2008r2 is a little more difficult because you have to use the command line and a fairly wonky command but it's not a time sink.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Yeah I'd be setting this up on a 2008R2 server.

I'm confused about which key I'm supposed to enter... I ended the funky command with one of our KMS W7 keys and it threw error code "0xC004F015" some horseshit about needing to install a different version of Windows Server.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

VAMT (Volume Activation Management Kit) works pretty well.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff686876.aspx

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

drukqs posted:

Yeah I'd be setting this up on a 2008R2 server.

I'm confused about which key I'm supposed to enter... I ended the funky command with one of our KMS W7 keys and it threw error code "0xC004F015" some horseshit about needing to install a different version of Windows Server.

This is why I said it was kind of badly documented. You want the "highest" KMS key you have; a Win 7 KMS key will only license Vista/7 installs, while a 2008r2 group C key will license everything below Win8/Server 2012. Doesn't matter what you install it on, you can put a "2008r2 C" KMS key on a Win 7 box and it'll happily be your KMS server. You might have tried putting a KMS client key on it, which are specific keys that just tell the OS to ask the KMS host for a license.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

And don't gently caress up like I did and give your clients KMS host keys or you'll have 50 KMS hosts in DNS. :suicide:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Nothing like being told that once a network is set up and running you don't have to worry about it! It just works! It can be hardware that I have no experience in administering because it just works!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Galler posted:

Huh, I guess the answer to the question of "Can Blackberry get anymore hosed?" is "Yes." Getting bought by a company with "financial holdings" in the name can't mean good things for the company getting bought. Although, I'm not sure how Fairfax intends to scam >4.7 billion out of the Blackberry name. I don't think Blackberry has much in the way of valuable assests at this point and who would loan them money (which would be funneled to Fairfax) at this point?

They could probably do it as a patent troll? BlackBerry has a shitload of patents.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
20 minutes into a call with AT&T engineers and I think one of the hosed up a copy paste job on one of their head routers. I think I need some better scotch.

Heard on call: I guess we needed the right address on the config.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 24, 2013

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

They could probably do it as a patent troll? BlackBerry has a shitload of patents.

Buy the company for 4.7 billion. Sell the patents to Microsoft and Google for 5 billion!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Swink posted:

Buy the company for 4.7 billion. Sell the patents to Microsoft and Google for 5 billion!

Sue Google, Microsoft, and Apple for 5 billion.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Nativity In Black posted:

they generally only do it if they have cause to believe you are showing up to work hosed up.

So it's written into the employee handbook at work that they can do random bag checks. That number came up, oh, about nine days ago. Apparently the drone who went through my laptop bag found "drug paraphernalia" and reported it.

They've been vacillating on what to do about it this long, apparently. You all get three guesses what the horrible sinful druggie gear they found was.

vvv Nope, not needles.
Also no vape, no pills, and... uh... Dave's not here, man.

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 24, 2013

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

sfwarlock posted:

So it's written into the employee handbook at work that they can do random bag checks. That number came up, oh, about nine days ago. Apparently the drone who went through my laptop bag found "drug paraphernalia" and reported it.

They've been vacillating on what to do about it this long, apparently. You all get three guesses what the horrible sinful druggie gear they found was.

You're diabetic and they found needles.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

sfwarlock posted:

A vaporizer?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
A Cheech & Chong DVD?

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going to pick "empty bottles of prescription painkillers".

EDIT: With your name on the label.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

sfwarlock posted:

vvv Nope, not needles.

Dried up post-it notes which they confused with rolling papers?

Perhaps a lamp that was confused with a bong?

A lighter?

A tie-dye anything?

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Moving down the ladder of "are they really that stupid", I'm going to choose "butane lighter" as my second guess.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

sfwarlock posted:

vvv Nope, not needles.

Filter paper and you're a smoker.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
No postit notes, no lamp, no tie-dye, no papers, no lig-...

Wait, a lamp? Anyway.

No lighter either.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Asthma inhaler?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Kazoo?

Don't keep us in suspense dude.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
Tobacco pipe?

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
You have a surface and they heard about its "VaporMg" coating.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Entropic posted:

Don't keep us in suspense dude.

I was giving you all time to guess.

It was a hemostat, which I use to retrieve screws from inconvenient places. Apparently some people use them as roach clips.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
If we drug tested I am 100% sure half of my coworkers would be fired.

Having an employer that understands that the things I do on my time are my business is important to me.

A monitoring alert came in.

A silly number of devices that were running Plesk 8 got compromised over the past few days, and now the customers are upset that they have to migrate to a new device immediately, instead of at any time over the last 3 years since we started telling them to move away from Plesk 8 or upgrade.

The compromise was kind of cute though. They replaced openssl, openssh, mcrypt, and a few other packages, commented out sshd_config and marked it immutable, then replaced chattr with a non-functional version that is also marked immutable.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Gonna go with "a spoon" that was bent by being in your bag

e: well that's what i get for being slow on the reply... by an hour :stare:

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

sfwarlock posted:

I was giving you all time to guess.

It was a hemostat, which I use to retrieve screws from inconvenient places. Apparently some people use them as roach clips.

Heh, I have some at home that I use for that very purpose. I have another pair along with some alligator clips at work that came in some electronics/soldering kit. I wonder if they'd say anything if you had one of the bottle opener flash drives?

Speaking of drug tests, this company (before they were purchased by a large computer company) used to do hair follicle tests when hiring. It was funny when 2 of our bald coworkers showed up for the test. They ended up having to take arm/leg hair.

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

I did a stint on the help desk of a mine site here in Australia. They have random individual testing & random blanket department testing. They also gave random alcohol breath tests on a regular basis. The legal driving BAC limit here is 0.05%. The site limit? 0.00%. You could easily blow numbers if you weren't careful the night before. No one is exempt either - even the top positions get tested, which has led to some good stories.

Of course this potentially could wipe out a large part of their workforce at once so they at least have a 3 strike system - 1st is a warning and they send you to counselling after the 2nd (you're also sent home until you turn in a clear test). Most contractors don't give their employees any leeway though.

The reason they give for THC test failures 2 weeks after you get high is that if they can still detect it, it's still having an effect on you.

:catdrugs: insider tip i once got: no one ever bothers testing for LSD

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Oh boy. The "number one priority mission critical highest importance" project just decreed that deployment teams (me, one other guy) are now on a 7 day work week until full release in January. Which is the 6th deadline push they've done now.
So they want me doing this modified schedule. Work on the weekends with a "couple days here and there during the week" off. Next to zero notice on deployment timelines. Expected code releases "when the application teams have them" which could be 8am, could be 5pm, could be midnight. With a 2 hour deployment window after the code is released.
I've told them my rates are $500 an hour cash only outside the normal working and on call hours stipulated in my job description. I don't think they realize I'm serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Antioch posted:

I've told them my rates are $500 an hour cash only outside the normal working and on call hours stipulated in my job description. I don't think they realize I'm serious.

The next best thing to a nice hearty "Go gently caress yourself."

• Locked thread