Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Alberta goons guide me. I'm looking at moving to Calgary this fall and my initial review of ISP's indicate that my only real choices are Shaw and Telus; any goon anecdotes and experience I should be aware of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
Anyone in the Capital area (Ottawa) under a cable-modem notice some weird packet loss / buffering issues as of late? We're with a 3rd party ISP using roger's lines, and we used to get 18 MBPS down, 1 MBPS up... but the last 1.5 weeks it has dropped to about 5 down, 0.3 BMPS up; the first 4-5 seconds of burst download work fine - then usually the system hangs...

It's reminiscent of times I used to be on PPPOE and my MTU was *not* set to 1492. (Noting that we are on a cable line, not DSL)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Doesn't help you, but my TekSavvy Cable in Toronto has not been reliable for something like a month now. My building just had fibre hooked up to it though. I'm switching in two weeks! :neckbeard:

http://www.coextro.com

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

El Scotch posted:

Alberta goons guide me. I'm looking at moving to Calgary this fall and my initial review of ISP's indicate that my only real choices are Shaw and Telus; any goon anecdotes and experience I should be aware of?

Telus has a far better chance at delivering their promised speeds and don't shape or throttle traffic. They also don't care if you :filez:

Shaw's hit or miss on speeds depending on your neighbourhood. They'll also shape torrents and other P2P traffic.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Guigui posted:

Anyone in the Capital area (Ottawa) under a cable-modem notice some weird packet loss / buffering issues as of late? We're with a 3rd party ISP using roger's lines, and we used to get 18 MBPS down, 1 MBPS up... but the last 1.5 weeks it has dropped to about 5 down, 0.3 BMPS up; the first 4-5 seconds of burst download work fine - then usually the system hangs...

It's reminiscent of times I used to be on PPPOE and my MTU was *not* set to 1492. (Noting that we are on a cable line, not DSL)

I'm in London, but we've been having the weirdest loving issues with HTTP traffic for the last several days through Rogers. Links will sometimes take upwards of a minute to resolve, or crap out instantly, only to go back to normal a few minutes later. IRC, mail, and other stuff on weird ports are unaffected. I've already cycled the router once, but it looks like I'm going to have to do it again, then call tech support later on this week.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

teethgrinder posted:

Doesn't help you, but my TekSavvy Cable in Toronto has not been reliable for something like a month now. My building just had fibre hooked up to it though. I'm switching in two weeks! :neckbeard:

http://www.coextro.com

That looks rad. I looked it up and my building doesn't have fibre because Rogers has or had some incentive deal with Tridel for it.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Zigmidge posted:

That looks rad. I looked it up and my building doesn't have fibre because Rogers has or had some incentive deal with Tridel for it.
If a friend didn't just get this (and it's awesome) I would still think it's a scam; their site looks like a Geocities page and they spelled technology incorrectly for gently caress's sake.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Yeah I was skeptical too, but know several people in the building who are ecstatic with it. Also the first month is free so the biggest risk is the slight inconvenience of not having internet on my PC for a duration.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

whatupdet posted:

I forgot that Bell for us (NL) is different from Bell on the mainland. We're under Bell Aliant and they offer 50/30, 80/30, 175/30 and 250/30 all uncapped whereas your packages are different and impose caps which sucks. I just so happened to get a very sweet deal as my buddy who works with Bell was going around trying to poach Rogers customers and gave us an awesome package which as mentioned includes 80/30 uncapped, home phone with province-wide or nationwide free long distance, FibreOP TV with 3 theme packs and PVR all for $99/mth no contract. Checking out the website, new customers would get a similar package for 3 months before the price increases to about $160.

Bell (Aliant) FibreOP in Halifax are very competitive against Eastlink. There are independent "dealers" that are going door to door with a variety of offers. Bell locks in the cost/term length at their sale price then reverts to the full term price.

I've seen deals of 6 months for $99 with a $200 gift cards to $119 for 24 months no contract both for the "Better" (80/30, HDTV+PVR, phone) bundle.

Argy Bargy
Nov 11, 2012

Viktor posted:

Bell (Aliant) FibreOP in Halifax are very competitive against Eastlink. There are independent "dealers" that are going door to door with a variety of offers. Bell locks in the cost/term length at their sale price then reverts to the full term price.

I've seen deals of 6 months for $99 with a $200 gift cards to $119 for 24 months no contract both for the "Better" (80/30, HDTV+PVR, phone) bundle.

Geez, those are good deals. I went to my Bell store here in northern Ontario and none of that is on offer, the best is the 50/30 bundle for $99 for two months then going up to $160. Not to mention the $50 activation fee. The 80/30 isn't offered in a bundle here for some reason.

Maybe I'll wait to see if someone comes knocking on my door.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

El Scotch posted:

Shaw is faster if you aren't saturated. I have never had any problems with shaping or throttling. If you are living anywhere close to downtown I would highly recommend telus, as the last few places I have been at have been hella saturated.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

This is a pretty pathetic attempt to be hip with the young kids. Actually, everything about this flyer is pretty pathetic (20GB per month? Get hosed).

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Good god, those pricing tiers are the dog's rear end.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I like the Unlimited plan that drops a dollar per month and has a 20gb cap after 8 months.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
And an image macro to boot. Have to give them credit, they did get the macro correct (oh god why do I know this).

Still, those are horrible plans. My old DSL plan was better, the one from before the price changes came in.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

:lol: 270GB to 20GB. Get yourself hosed nice and proper, Bell.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

:lol: 270GB to 20GB. Get yourself hosed nice and proper, Bell.

Yeah that's pretty loving shameless.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
That's what I pay Distributel for my 30/1 unlimited, around $55

start.ca has some fast unlimited options, but you have to pay more than usual of course.

Dudebro fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 22, 2013

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

5/1 Fibre? :psyduck:

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

El Scotch posted:

Pretty sure fibe is just FTTN anyways, but yes. gently caress bell.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

El Scotch posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that Bell's Fibe and Telus' Optik aren't true fiber-optic all the way from the plant to the residence. The names are more for marketing purposes and I believe if you look closely for both of those services, it never actually says it's a full fiber-optic service. Bell and Bell-Aliant's FibreOP is more what you're thinking of when you think of gigabit fiber to the premise.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

El Scotch posted:

Duh, it's Fibe, not Fibre. The missing 'r' is for missing fib'r'e between your home and the nearest node.

From what I recall about signing up for Fibe years ago when they actually gave credible promotions, some people do live far enough away from the nearest node that they're limited to the slower speeds anyways, or so the salesperson claimed anyways.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 22, 2013

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
It's still an outrage that their entry-level FTTN isn't even competitive with their own decade-old DSL service.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I think that guy's a reseller. He's skipping entire service tiers, and his prices are easily five bucks more expensive per month than comparable packages from Bell's own website.

Plus, there's that awful meme macro.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
I've seen that exact poster at my school, although I didn't check the name on it. Who knows.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
That's a re-seller's flyer but the meme-macro campaign is from Bell. There are at least two others in that campaign, they've had posters up in a local bar washroom since the end of August. Even without the re-seller markup the prices are terrible.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Woke up to Teksavvy Cable dead as a door nail. Not much on their Twitter stream. Who wants to bet they/Rogers disconnected me early? The service was supposed to be ended October 8, switching to fibre on the 6th.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

teethgrinder posted:

Woke up to Teksavvy Cable dead as a door nail. Not much on their Twitter stream. Who wants to bet they/Rogers disconnected me early? The service was supposed to be ended October 8, switching to fibre on the 6th.

They've had some pretty big outages in Toronto as of yesterday, depending on where you are it might be related.

See:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28681195-Outages-Outage-Report-Cable-DSL-09-23-2013-7-38PM
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28679631-Outages-Outage-Report-September-23rd-2013-2-05PM

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

They really did disconnect me early. "Human error". I'm getting a refund. I think the same drat thing happened when I moved too.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 24, 2013

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Yeah, Bell is loving outrageous and I will never, ever make use of their services.

About a month after I moved to my apartment, they sent me a generic flyer addressed to:
"Better services for
(my address)
Montreal, QC etc. etc."

After which I took the time to get on their website, fill in dummy information because apparently you can't file a complaint without being a Bell customer, and basically tell them "I don't want your services, I will never want your services, and if you send me another of your unsolicited and insultingly usurious offers, I will report you to every possible consumer agency and social network." Which likely won't stop them, but it sure felt satisfying.

Jan fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 24, 2013

cka
May 3, 2004

Argy Bargy posted:

So Bell is rolling out ftth in my community. Seems like a good deal, it's 180/mo for internet, TV and phone, which seems expensive but is less than what I'm paying individually for these services combined. However I'm surprised at how low the speeds are, the main bundle is (up to) 50 Mbps which seems awfully slow for fiber, considering on Cogeco cable I get 20 Mbps or so. I see they offer an internet only package with 80 Mbps, which is a little closer to what I'd expect, but that doesn't seem available in a bundle. They also offer 250 Mbps service, but don't give a price, I can only assume it's prohibitively expensive and meant for businesses and such.

I'll probably take the plunge but just wondering if anyone has any experience with FibreOP? I hate Bell with a passion but right now this is the only game in town, would like to hear what I can expect before I dive in.

I jumped on FibreOP last month or so, the only major complaint I have is that the TV STBs are kind of sluggish (but the same could be said for most tv offerings, fibre or otherwise.) 50/30 is admittedly kind of slow for a fibreoptic connection -- and it is a true FTTH connection, they had to run a line from the pole to our house and everything -- but it's unmetered, unthrottled and almost never deviates from the advertised speed. Stay away from anything > 50mbps though, that's when the monthly caps and higher fees come into play. Best part, since I jumped on so late in the month my bill was only $40 or so for that period. :haw:

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

Jan posted:

Yeah, Bell is loving outrageous and I will never, ever make use of their services.

About a month after I moved to my apartment, they sent me a generic flyer addressed to:
"Better services for
(my address)
Montreal, QC etc. etc."

After which I took the time to get on their website, fill in dummy information because apparently you can't file a complaint without being a Bell customer, and basically tell them "I don't want your services, I will never want your services, and if you send me another of your unsolicited and insultingly usurious offers, I will report you to every possible consumer agency and social network." Which likely won't stop them, but it sure felt satisfying.

Rogers does this to me. I'm with TekSavvy, going through Rogers cable (so they know I'm already connected) and twice per month I get flyers for their "better service" with their amazingly "high" bandwidth caps address specifically to my apartment. Actually looking at the caps now, they aren't as bad as they used to be last time I looked (20-60GB when I checked months ago). I still can't see the point of 35/3 when you only get 120GB. Anyways, they refuse to stop sending them to me. I've yelled at them multiple times for it. Now I'm just saving them all up to mail back to them at some point.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

WOOHOO!!!

$43 a month unlimited. Time will tell how reliable it is.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Welp, I just signed up for 50/50 from Bell.

Got a call from them - they're promoting their offerings for my new condo that I'm moving into in November. Seems the builder has a thing with them. Okay.
- Some promotion: Free for six months, no installation or registration fees, no contract or obligation.
- I turned down the additional poo poo we won't use (TV, Phone). Would have made the bill about $162 a month or something later. That's really not so bad, but eh, why pay for stuff you don't use.
- After six months are up, it'll be Fibe 50/50 and $10 extra for unlimited usage for $92.95 per month, then HST on top.

Looking at my confirmation, the girl might have messed up a couple of things - seems I might be getting the bundle discount past my six months. We can only hope!
Also I don't see my additional $10 a month for unlimited bandwidth. I imagine I will pay for just that for the first six months, which makes sense.

Here's the rapedown (because this is Canada/Bell):
Bell Fibe Internet 50/50: 86.95
non contract 100% off months 1-6, $33 off months 7 ongoing (this is for bundles. I won't have one, so we'll see)
Included Internet Usage - 175 GB
Discount months 1-6: 86.95cr
Discount: 99.95cr
Modem: 99.95
Full Home Installation
McAfee Security from Bell Good (yeah, no - keep that McAfee poo poo away from me).
Total (before taxes): 0.00

The worrying part is she verbally confirmed the unlimited use thing for $10 and I see that on the website for bundle subscribers. But nearly no information is now available for non-bundle pricing/extras. Especially to the tune of unlimited use. Hmmm. Worst case is I'll cancel by the 6-month mark and pay around the same amount for 50/20 from Teksavvy using MLPPP later.

Edit:
Unlimited + a good upload speed are both desired so I can back up more things online. Would be nice to maintain fewer hard drives.

Kachunkachunk fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 26, 2013

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Kachunkachunk posted:

Welp, I just signed up for 50/50 from Bell.

Bell Fibe Internet 50/50: 86.95

Jesus, I have 150/10/300GB with Teksavvy and it's less than that and without all of the other inane bullshit you have to deal with to get some insane package combo horsefuckery.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Is that via cable? Teksavvy said they are unable to offer anything more than 25/10 to my new address (or really anywhere else in Burlington, it would seem). Start.ca's offerings suck since I can't get unlimited at a good speed (and there's no cable offering at the new postal code).

Cogeco has amazing service from experience but also no unlimited offering. So yep, kind of boned.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

WOOHOO!!!

$43 a month unlimited. Time will tell how reliable it is.

Who exactly the gently caress did you go with in Windy shithole here? MTS doesn't even offer over 20mbps

I cannot read the words that are on the screens, ignore me.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

less than three posted:

Telus has a far better chance at delivering their promised speeds and don't shape or throttle traffic. They also don't care if you :filez:

Shaw's hit or miss on speeds depending on your neighbourhood. They'll also shape torrents and other P2P traffic.

It's fascinating reading your posts from this thread. Your experience is so different from mine. I had a miserable time with Telus and hate Shaw's prices but otherwise have been very happy despite living in an urban area and downloading a lot.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

StealthArcher posted:

Who exactly the gently caress did you go with in Windy shithole here? MTS doesn't even offer over 20mbps

I cannot read the words that are on the screens, ignore me.
Not sure if you noticed my earlier posts, but I guess whatever network I'm on is based in Manitoba. I'm actually in downtown Toronto.

Shaved 8ms of latency off my connection to League of Legends' west coast-based servers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Wow, 8 ms.