Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

dis astranagant posted:

Probably because a random wood cutting axe isn't a pair of magic super sharp boxcutterswords that the whole neck chunk out in one stroke.

Wait, do they actually have to take a chunk out of the neck to kill them, or can't a single good, deep slash do the trick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That's why they use 2 at a time. It's so they can completely remove a big chunk before the titan can regenerate.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

It just seems like it couldn't possibly be a coincidence that they have to cut the same spot that shifters "drive" from. There has to be something up there.

Bisensual
May 24, 2013

Do you hate me?
I've been thinking that since I got into this show/manga.

Must be humans. Sigh.

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!
Yup, I bet they are unknowingly killing babies and children. There was even a preggo titan on the tower battle.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

LuisX posted:

Yup, I bet they are unknowingly killing babies and children. There was even a preggo titan on the tower battle.

Oh duh, I was actually wondering why the titans were all different sizes.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

LuisX posted:

Can you link that panel? Because that would be completely against everything else shown re: titans thus far, but at the same time it's not like the characters or we know jack poo poo about them at this point except that sometimes they get out of here anime watchers who aren't reading, what have you done?! and also just like to chill out colossally inside the walls and might be solar powered except when they're not. It's sort of wide open since there's a near-total lack of history and what history there is, is considered verboten.

But there's no damned way that the nape of the neck being exactly where drivers chill at/emerge from is a coincidence. No damned way. Soylent Titan is made of people. Somehow.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 24, 2013

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Until seeing that aberrant chilling casually under the tree that Bert, Ernie, Ymir, and Eren were in, I've kind of always suspected that the Aberrants were created from children or babies, especially based on the anime and how they behave. I haven't taken the time to look back and see if the poses were anime-only, yet.

In the brainless Titans I suspect that the humans inside them are just there as CPUs or something. Like the Shadow vessels from Babylon 5.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 24, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

quote:

Isayama said the idea for the Titans themselves came to him when he encountered a drunk customer at the Internet café he was working at. He said he was inspired by the lack of the ability to communicate even though the person was of the same species, and thought at that moment that the most familiar and scary animal in the world is actually the human.

That's...that's just wonderful actually.

From this article with highlights of an interview he did with a TV show.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-09-23/attack-on-titan-creator-reveals-secrets-on-japanese-tv-show

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
That interview is pretty great.

quote:

Isayama also revealed on the program that he is a huge fan of idol group Momoiro Clover Z, and even owns a fan happi coat (pictured below). Isayama said that when he is drawing a particularly painful scene in his manga, he thinks of Momoiro Clover Z to cheer himself up

Before now I haven't even considered if the actual artist author felt anything while making and drawing painful scenes in the manga. Now I just find it adorable to imagine him cuddling in his happi coat.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

LuisX posted:

At first I was curious about this- I never saw this before. Could you point it out?

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c039/ I found this though. Here is a panel I've somehow completely missed before. Isn't this a bit odd?

quote:

In the brainless Titans I suspect that the humans inside them are just there as CPUs or something. Like the Shadow vessels from Babylon 5.

I think it would be interesting if next chapter of the manga Eren hulks out and starts tearing Chuckles to pieces, tears out his neck, and finds a human in there. Monthly mangas run for about 100 chapters, and next chapter would be the halfway point.

quote:

What a goon. I love'em.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 24, 2013

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

HelloWinter posted:

Before now I haven't even considered if the actual artist author felt anything while making and drawing painful scenes in the manga. Now I just find it adorable to imagine him cuddling in his happi coat.

Aw now I want to be able to do Blade Runner style ENHANCEing to see what this painful scene is, or at least look at what characters are in his reference image :ohdear:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Nelson Mandingo posted:

At first I was curious about this- I never saw this before. Could you point it out?

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c039/ I found this though. Here is a panel I've somehow completely missed before. Isn't this a bit odd?

Those are the titans from Connie's village so I assume those two were kids and are "playing". Or that titan could just be a deviant.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I probably shouldnt be in this thread at all but as someone who hasn't started, would it better to watch the series or read the manga? Do they differentiate in any significant way? Thing is I don't know Japanese and truth is I've never actually gotten through a whole manga

Is someone going to buy me a terrible spoiler avatar when book 3 is finally turned into a show?

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

I probably shouldnt be in this thread at all but as someone who hasn't started, would it better to watch the series or read the manga? Do they differentiate in any significant way? Thing is I don't know Japanese and truth is I've never actually gotten through a whole manga

Is someone going to buy me a terrible spoiler avatar when book 3 is finally turned into a show?

In my opinion the anime is better but the slow parts are harder to get through due to the nature of the medium. But when it's on, it is really really excellent

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Alan Smithee posted:

The manga is better at everything but the fighting/3D flying scenes. Specially the Titan vs Titan scenes are loving amazing in the anime, but mostly kinda confusing in the manga.

Apart from that, everything works better on the manga. The anime is specially bad on the dramatic scenes, most of then got very cheezy. Also, when they are flying midair on 3D gear while talking long dialogues or inner monologues or remembering long flashbacks (which happens a lot), that looks so loving absurd in the anime, they standing midair for several minutes, chatting or thinking. Is the same on the manga, only it doesnt looks that absurd.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

I probably shouldnt be in this thread at all but as someone who hasn't started, would it better to watch the series or read the manga? Do they differentiate in any significant way?

There's a little filler in the anime, but it doesn't change things significantly, and at least some of it is clearly in there with the approval of the original author. Some of the filler is good. There are some scenes which definitely aren't so good in the anime due to changes that were made, mostly delays in the action and additions to the dialogue which make certain characters more annoying or stupid.

Overall I recommend watching the anime. The action scenes and the voice acting are excellent, the soundtrack is great, and the art is better than the manga in some ways. But I think it depends on how you weigh up your priorities. Amazing animated action scenes versus a few dragged out dialogue scenes which give a skewed impression of some characters. I think the action scenes are worth it. I've been finding them thrilling to watch in the anime even though I've already read the manga.

I started reading the manga after I saw the first few episodes of the TV series, because of not having the patience to wait for the next episodes, and the manga is great. It's a lot faster to get through. But if I was starting on the series right now, personally I would choose to watch the anime on account of the anime almost being complete. After that I would go and catch up on the manga, because it's going to be a long time before the next series of the anime happens.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Alan Smithee posted:

Read the manga first, then watch the anime and enjoy all that stuff animated. The manga's better at some specific things that I won't mention because they're spoilery, but I would say go with manga first.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The manga is better paced and is better at blind siding you than the anime is. A lot of people recommend to just wait for the anime but I really didnt feel it. If you are doing both, read the manga first.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

HelloWinter posted:

But what does he wear when he's drawing Armin psychologically destroying someone?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

But what does he wear when he's drawing Armin psychologically destroying someone?

Nothing at all.

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012
Maybe if the Titans are all vulnerable at the base of the neck, and most of them are solar powered, it has something to do with how absorbed the human is into the Titan? Like, Eren and Annie fought in the forest and I don't think he ever notices feeling weaker out of the sun or anything, because it's still running off of his bloooooooood. And the Titans Sasquatch is making are active at night because they're still freshly made.

I don't think size and age map to each other, since that would make either Jean a gazillion years old or Ymir way bigger. It might have to do with resolve or something like that, though - with Eren he's done some weird things like grabbing the spoon and making the creepy skeleton guard, and it seems like it comes from him being convinced of something's need. Jean's the dedicated soldier who still believes in their mission, right? Berthold is the one who has second thoughts. Maybe all the walls are people who transformed with the need to protect their families, so they were able to become colossal. That said, if this series ends up being down to BELIEVING IN YOUR CONVICTIONS I will eat my hat, so I might be wrong.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Bert is the colossus titan, Reiner is the armored Titan, Jean probably isn't a Titan but he looks like Reiner so I see how you might get mixed up. Reiner really hates what he's become and has out and developed a split personality. Bertolt isn't happy either but he's got it mostly together. So it still supports your theory, you just got the names backwards. :v:

For those with name confusion, hop on over to page 96 of the anime thread.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Abitha Denton posted:

That said, if this series ends up being down to BELIEVING IN YOUR CONVICTIONS I will eat my hat, so I might be wrong.

Quoting this for the historical records.

I'm pretty sure this show is all about flexibility and breaking the stasis. Convictions are not really all that important.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I was browsing Amazon just now and noticed that all the volumes for this are on sale for about $8 if anyone wanted to pick them up.

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012

Autumncomet posted:

Bert is the colossus titan, Reiner is the armored Titan, Jean probably isn't a Titan but he looks like Reiner so I see how you might get mixed up. Reiner really hates what he's become and has out and developed a split personality. Bertolt isn't happy either but he's got it mostly together. So it still supports your theory, you just got the names backwards. :v:

For those with name confusion, hop on over to page 96 of the anime thread.

That's embarrassing. No wonder I can barely follow this comic, ha ha. Thanks for picking up on that!

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!
This is the titan that looked like it is pregnant:

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c038/34.html

Right panel, on the left.

Or it could be a guy with a beer belly. The way the titan has the arms on its belly is what makes me think that.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

LuisX posted:

Or it could be a guy with a beer belly. The way the titan has the arms on its belly is what makes me think that.

It's a beer belly, the same titan is seen a few pages later ramming it into the tower.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

LuisX posted:

I thought it was a reference to Botticelli's Birth of Venus. It wouldn't be the first classical art tribute from Isayama.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Soulcleaver posted:

I thought it was a reference to Botticelli's Birth of Venus. It wouldn't be the first classical art tribute from Isayama.

Did Saturn ever show up anywhere?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

His satellites are all over the place, but the big man hasn't shown in person yet.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
He will be the leader of the Titan village and his introduction page will be exactly what you think it is.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I wonder if human titans also can't starve to death. The fact that they can regenerate outside of their titan forms seems to indicate that whatever powers them as titans continues to do so as a human, and we know from Ymir that human titans can live a seemingly indefinite amount of time in their titan forms.

edit: I was just thinking about how the titans remind me a lot of the zombies in I Am A Hero. I wonder if the way titans perceive the world is similar to the way zombies do in IAAH. In both situations you have things that attack people yet seem to display at least some vague awareness of their surroundings (based upon the titan of Connie's mom). They're also creepy in the same sort of way.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 25, 2013

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

Looks pretty similar to me.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Isn't that Jupiter?

EDIT: Nope, you're right.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

I'm eager to see some hosed-up panel that looks similar to this.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I've always though that the hoard of weird looking titans look like something out of a Hieronymus Bosch painting.

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I wonder if human titans also can't starve to death. The fact that they can regenerate outside of their titan forms seems to indicate that whatever powers them as titans continues to do so as a human, and we know from Ymir that human titans can live a seemingly indefinite amount of time in their titan forms.

edit: I was just thinking about how the titans remind me a lot of the zombies in I Am A Hero. I wonder if the way titans perceive the world is similar to the way zombies do in IAAH. In both situations you have things that attack people yet seem to display at least some vague awareness of their surroundings (based upon the titan of Connie's mom). They're also creepy in the same sort of way.

As far as I'm aware, titans just eat people "just because". Hanji (I think) states that, since they don't digest what they eat, they just vomit it up later. Titans don't seem to receive any benefit from ingesting people outside of the brief satisfaction of fulfilling some biological (?) impetus.

It seems to fall into the "force of nature" category rather than "circle of life".

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Honestly i get the feeling that what the titans vomit up, turns into a titan after awhile. A titan ate connies village, vomits the blob on the house. The blob is still forming into a titan hence why its arms/legs are all weird. That's my theory at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

UberJumper posted:

Honestly i get the feeling that what the titans vomit up, turns into a titan after awhile. A titan ate connies village, vomits the blob on the house. The blob is still forming into a titan hence why its arms/legs are all weird. That's my theory at least.

I always feel guilty to quash theories because it's an ontological mystery series and honestly half the fun of reading them is the speculation! But I don't think this is the case. It's almost certain that Connie's village got turned into Titans, and it's pointed out that there is no titan attack aftermath telltale signs there (blood, limbs, etc).

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c038/3.html

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c038/4.html

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c038/5.html

So it's likely whatever turns people into Titans is spread some way that can affect people without causing a panic.