Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

There's a restaurant in San Marcos called Mama Kat's that I always used to go to after a weekend of brewery investigation. They impressed me with their oversized omelets and the house special Cinnamon Roll French Toast - a huge cinnamon roll butterflied longitudinally, dipped in French toast batter, and griddled to diabetes-inducing perfection. Then I discovered their chicken and waffles, and the fact that I could order a side of fried chicken livers to go with it for $6. Let me tell you there's nothing that makes my hunched over, squint-eyed, angry at the fact of the sun's existence self happier than a bigass plate of perfectly-fried chicken livers to compensate for my own liver's depletion. Best hangover breakfast ever.

...and so of course the next time I went there they'd taken the side of liver off the menu because nobody ordered it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
hilarious, my wife (boy that feels weird to type, maybe I should just keep on calling her my 'girl' or something) called me up this evening while shopping and was like 'hey I was thinking of getting some chicken livers - they have really nice looking ones on sale right now'

probably haven't bought chicken livers in 5-6 months. serendipity?

I'm thinking I'll either do a pate, or smush and bread them, and fry them up 'hot chicken' style

mmmmm hot chicken

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

hilarious, my wife (boy that feels weird to type, maybe I should just keep on calling her my 'girl' or something) called me up this evening while shopping and was like 'hey I was thinking of getting some chicken livers - they have really nice looking ones on sale right now'

probably haven't bought chicken livers in 5-6 months. serendipity?

I'm thinking I'll either do a pate, or smush and bread them, and fry them up 'hot chicken' style

mmmmm hot chicken

I like "special lady friend".

I don't like livers though.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
There is a sandwich place near my office that used to have a chicken liver sandwich, but it's not on the menu anymore. They still have a side of them with braised greens though. I have never been big on fried liver. I do like pate though.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

My ex The Hypnobeet didn't have her annual "Jewish holiday party" this year, and that's one of my best sources of delicious weird meat. She makes her grandmother's recipes for braised tongue (sliced thinly, and slowly braised in a gravy with carrots) and chicken livers. SO GOOD.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

I hate you all. It's 11:35 and I'm at work with a pizza pop for lunch, craving a hot chicken sandwich. :canada: I can't go out for lunch because I have a dentist appointment in the afternoon. Nobody even MENTIONED Quebec hot chicken.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

that looks foul

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

I really enjoy the taste of liver, but one of my friends who's an internet-nutrition expert said that it's the center of all the toxins in an animals body, and that that is the most likely type of meat to make one sick. Anything I can shoot her down with?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

that looks foul

Nope f u it looks like the food of my people.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Nope f u it looks like the food of my people.

MMMM brown peas, lovely sliced bread, and sysco fries.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

It's poverty food. And tasty pov food at that!

Is this better, Lord Byron?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

GrAviTy84 posted:

MMMM brown peas, lovely sliced bread, and sysco fries.

You probably don't like poutine, either.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You probably don't like poutine, either.

nah poutine owns.

poutine at pommes frites by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

:getin:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I wonder how breaded and fried chicken livers would be on a poboy. Probably delicious because chicken livers rule and poboys rule.

My buddy got married this weekend so I flew back to CT to attend. His wife is Greek Orthodox and they have a huuuuuuuuuge family. They're also loaded so they spared no expense and the reception was completely baller. During cocktail hour one of the appetizers they had were "duck chips" which I ate entirely too many of. I always get filet as an entree for weddings even though filet is boring but hey free steak...but this was the best filet I've ever had.

Ever been to a Greek Orthodox wedding/reception? It's a sight to see.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

You can't just say that and not tell us what the gently caress "duck chips" are.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

that looks fowl

Also, I need a vacation. I made chicken soup and forgot to add the chicken back in. Didn't realize until I started packing the leftovers up to freeze.

:negative:

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 24, 2013

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Drink and Fight posted:

You can't just say that and not tell us what the gently caress "duck chips" are.

Chips/fries fried in duck fat, one would presume.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Wahad posted:

Chips/fries fried in duck fat, one would presume.

I thought chips made of duck or duck skin but you could be right. Put us out of our ignorant misery!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Haha. They were very thin slices of duck breast, skin-on, that were deep fried in duck fat and had the appearance of extremely thick-cut russet potato chips.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
I pulled a pork shoulder out of the oven late Saturday night. Had some chicken stock in roasting pan that I let cool in the fridge over night and skimmed most of the fat off it and made a sauce. It's delicious and full of gelatiny goodness when cool. It's Tuesday so I'm wondering how long that sauce will stay good in the fridge. I got about another three days worth of pork as well that I don't want to freeze, but I imagine it'll stay mostly good till Friday. Right?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Pester posted:

I really enjoy the taste of liver, but one of my friends who's an internet-nutrition expert said that it's the center of all the toxins in an animals body, and that that is the most likely type of meat to make one sick. Anything I can shoot her down with?

Anyone using the word "toxins" in relation to human wellness and/or nutrition is either a credulous idiot or hoping to make a lot of money from credulous idiots. "Toxins" is one of the biggest buzzwords used by juice cleansing hippie idiots and other assorted crackpots. A healthy liver metabolizes and otherwise processes waste and other sundry things, it doesn't store them. We - and every other biological organism that somehow manages not to choke on its own effluence - are quite capable of processing whatever environmental "toxins" enter our systems with a few very rare exceptions like heavy metals. And guess what? Ain't no juice cleanse or deep colon purge that can help with mercury.

Basically any time anyone who's not a literal toxicologist says the word "toxins" stop listening because everything else they say on that subject is going to be bogus, superstitious, and/or dumb.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them
I just installed my rotisserie on my grill.

I've never had one before!!

What dead animals should I rotate first??

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

bartolimu posted:

Anyone using the word "toxins" in relation to human wellness and/or nutrition is either a credulous idiot or hoping to make a lot of money from credulous idiots. "Toxins" is one of the biggest buzzwords used by juice cleansing hippie idiots and other assorted crackpots. A healthy liver metabolizes and otherwise processes waste and other sundry things, it doesn't store them. We - and every other biological organism that somehow manages not to choke on its own effluence - are quite capable of processing whatever environmental "toxins" enter our systems with a few very rare exceptions like heavy metals. And guess what? Ain't no juice cleanse or deep colon purge that can help with mercury.

Basically any time anyone who's not a literal toxicologist says the word "toxins" stop listening because everything else they say on that subject is going to be bogus, superstitious, and/or dumb.

b b but ~~mai 7 day cleanse~~ :rolleyes:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

NosmoKing posted:

Lamb! Make a döner.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

NosmoKing posted:

Do a whole cow and just chew on it as it cooks.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Lamb! Make a döner.

Human! Make a Donner.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Oh yes, do the doner! (lamb not people!)

I may make one this weekend actually, sounds really good. I'll surprise the man here with it, he should be thrilled :)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Hassenpfeffer. It's much better whole, stuffed, and roasted over fire than any other way.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
"hot chicken" chicken fried chicken livers mission : success

so good. also can't beat a dish with the word "chicken" in it 3 times, legitimately

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

b b but ~~mai 7 day cleanse~~ :rolleyes:

To top it off, chelation therapy (the standard treatment for heavy metal poisonings) is also widely misused by the alternative medicine movement. Just not for heavy metal poisoning :ironicat:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

bartolimu posted:

Well said. My GF had a terribly negligent, hippy dippy upbringing in a Hindu-ish cult. So while she absorbed some of the healthy eating and good cooking, exposure to the cultish craziness actually inured her to this type of thinking. Whew!

She did try a 7-day flush last year, but only because it was a free sample sent for blog review, and she was curious. It made her poo poo a lot, so it was basically vitamins and laxative. I could NOT date someone who believes in magical toxins, high colonics, anti-vaccine, ear candling or any of that horse poo poo.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Son of a bitch. Wake up this morning, notice my wifi is dead, and the router is lit up red. My desktop is on the login screen. All bad signs when you're nearly 40 hours into a 2 day sous vide brisket. As I approach the kitchen, there is silence. Where is my gentle swishing and whirling? Barely 30C water. Good bye friend :( I don't think I've lost power more than once in my 4 years here.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Will do one in your honor.

Also, trip report: sous vide chuck roast, 28 hours at at 134. Maybe would drop it down to 20 next time but the texture was pretty much like rib-eye (though it didn't taste quite as good for some reason, probably because I'm used to prime ribeye and this was choice chuck). Real cheap though!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

geetee posted:

Son of a bitch. Wake up this morning, notice my wifi is dead,

Holy crap I must be tired. I did not read that the right at first. I thought this was about to be another facebook killer type thing. "Yeah the wife's dead YOLO"

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

No Wave posted:

Will do one in your honor.

Also, trip report: sous vide chuck roast, 28 hours at at 134. Maybe would drop it down to 20 next time but the texture was pretty much like rib-eye (though it didn't taste quite as good for some reason, probably because I'm used to prime ribeye and this was choice chuck). Real cheap though!

Why won't the Sansaire get to me sooner so I can be cool like ya'll and SV everything :smith:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Croatoan posted:

Holy crap I must be tired. I did not read that the right at first. I thought this was about to be another facebook killer type thing. "Yeah the wife's dead YOLO"

In your case, "main wife dead, YOLO". The Killer Goon strikes again!

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I'm curious what this thread thinks about Thanksgiving.

Basically; I typically am the Thanksgivinatrix for a minimum of 15 (generally I cook for 20-25, people show up after their family dinners to drink and then pick at the food, we have minimal leftovers). In the past I've done a turducken (by hand), I've done turkey 3 ways (deep fried breast, confit legs, regular roast), I've done a regular turkey and an ostrich rump roast with sherry and turnips, and I'm looking for something new. I have to have the regular boring stuff for regular boring folks and their regular boring tastes, but there is also considerable excitement for What Will Bolas Cook Next Year. The posse I'm cooking for will be happy no matter how goony or how weird I get as long as I make my dad's gravy.

I think it might be worth trying to sous-vide something, but I'm not even sure what part of a turkey (or other animal) would take well to sous-vide. Also, I will have to do a test run to troubleshoot my setup and make sure I don't poison all my friends. Plus, I could cook that almost entirely in advance and then just sear it off, which would open up valuable oven space. What should I sous vide for Thanksgiving?

It also seems a waste to have that huge turkey deep fryer and not use it for anything this year, but the deep fried turkey breast was the most boring chunk of meat I made last year. Maybe a more flavorful brine / marinade? Maybe cut it into tenders, marinade those, and batter them and make turkey tenders that end up well-seasoned as opposed to poorly seasoned regular turkey breast? What can I do to make my enormous deep-fried turkey breast more interesting?

I'm just hoping for some Thanksgiving alternative turkey ideas here. The weirder the better.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I never mess with Thanksgiving. It's just not a thing that is done in my family.

That said, if it's expected of you, deep fry a ham.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Nicol Bolas posted:

Basically; I typically am the Thanksgivinatrix for a minimum of 15 (generally I cook for 20-25, people show up after their family dinners to drink and then pick at the food, we have minimal leftovers). In the past I've done a turducken (by hand), I've done turkey 3 ways (deep fried breast, confit legs, regular roast), I've done a regular turkey and an ostrich rump roast with sherry and turnips, and I'm looking for something new. I have to have the regular boring stuff for regular boring folks and their regular boring tastes, but there is also considerable excitement for What Will Bolas Cook Next Year. The posse I'm cooking for will be happy no matter how goony or how weird I get as long as I make my dad's gravy.

I think it might be worth trying to sous-vide something, but I'm not even sure what part of a turkey (or other animal) would take well to sous-vide. Also, I will have to do a test run to troubleshoot my setup and make sure I don't poison all my friends. Plus, I could cook that almost entirely in advance and then just sear it off, which would open up valuable oven space. What should I sous vide for Thanksgiving?

It also seems a waste to have that huge turkey deep fryer and not use it for anything this year, but the deep fried turkey breast was the most boring chunk of meat I made last year. Maybe a more flavorful brine / marinade? Maybe cut it into tenders, marinade those, and batter them and make turkey tenders that end up well-seasoned as opposed to poorly seasoned regular turkey breast? What can I do to make my enormous deep-fried turkey breast more interesting?

I'm just hoping for some Thanksgiving alternative turkey ideas here. The weirder the better.
No reason to go crazy - people expect/crave thanksgiving food on Thanksgiving. I'd go traditional, but swapping out capon for turkey. If I really wanted to class it up I'd put extra work into the jus and add some foie gras to the stuffing. Sous vide come carrots if you want. Slow-roast asparagus with lots of garlic and oil.

Actually, given the fryer, I'd slow-roast the breasts (keeping them on the carcass) and sous-vide the legs, then deep fry the legs to finish.

Pommes puree a la robuchon if you wanna go nuts, but that's a pain in the rear end. Celery root puree if you want to take it easier on yourself.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Nicol Bolas posted:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/12/the-food-lab-deep-fried-sous-vide-36-hour-all-belly-porchetta.html

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Turkey-in-Mole-Poblano

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Roasted-Brussels-Sprouts-240260

http://www.marthastewart.com/256657/potato-pave

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...cipe/index.html

http://www.beyondumami.com/2013/05/step-by-step-earl-grey-macarons-with.html

off the top of my head. I've done all of these for some holiday at some point in the past and they were all received well. fwiw, I am the same person in my family. edgy and "weird" holiday meal prepper.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 25, 2013