Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Pain of Salvation used to be one of my favorite bands, but on repeat listens, man, their old stuff really hasn't aged very well. Remedy Lane is drat near a perfect album, and half of Be was excellent, but nowadays I'm considering them flukes in an otherwise really disappointing catalogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp
The Perfect Element, Remedy Lane, and BE are all awesome to me. I only like a few songs from their first two albums and I like most of Scarsick. The two Road Salt albums are pretty good but I would prefer something different for next album. I do believe there is another album Daniel is working on besides the acoustic one, but I wouldn't expect to hear much about that until he finishes the acoustic project. He also announced that PoS will be playing at ProgPower USA 2014 and will perform Remedy Lane in its' entirety, which is pretty cool, though I won't get to see it. I would love to hear a live version of "A Trace of Blood". I have a bit of a crush on DG ^.^

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

That new Dream Theater song is pretty awful, but it's remarkable for being the first time John Myung is audible on a DT tune.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Misogynist posted:

Pain of Salvation used to be one of my favorite bands, but on repeat listens, man, their old stuff really hasn't aged very well. Remedy Lane is drat near a perfect album, and half of Be was excellent, but nowadays I'm considering them flukes in an otherwise really disappointing catalogue.

Their material got steadily better up until Scarsick, which was meh. Then they obviously made a conscious decision to change to a more raw, underproduced style. That's certainly not a fluke. I don't think they've lost their creative talent, and I actually like the road salt albums a lot. We'll probably just have to wait until Daniel decides to change styles again.

I think I only really started to love PoS once I started to read the lyrics in depth. That's why I really enjoy One Hour By the Concrete Lake and the Road Salt stuff. If you only pay attention to the music itself then yeah it's not nearly as appealing.

ANIME AKBAR fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Sep 10, 2013

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Do Pain of Salvation have a really good live album? I never got around to checking them out, and I feel like that's my favorite way to get introduced to metal bands.

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Life is full of twicky decisions...

Trees and Squids posted:

Haken's new album The Mountain is incredible. I've been a big fan of these guys since Aquarius and this is easily their best work.

This song has stood out more to me than anything else this year so far.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUz2xt-4FCA

This track is awesome. The electric piano break and the organ break are very cool little non sequiturs. I'm definitely going to be getting this album now.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Rollersnake posted:

Do Pain of Salvation have a really good live album? I never got around to checking them out, and I feel like that's my favorite way to get introduced to metal bands.
Eh, not in my opinion. They have three live albums, but the first is all acoustic (good, but not generally representative of their sound), the second is a performance of their fifth album in its entirety, and the third is 50% songs from their worst album.

Start with Remedy Lane, The Perfect Element Part I and Be and track back or forward based on which elements of their sound you like.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I'm not sure where Hawkwind fits into the grand order of prog, but I've been liking a bit of them lately. Spotify has a bunch of albums, but in they're in disarray, not to mention that they seem to love having identically named songs. I have Hawkwind on vinyl and it's OK., I love In Search of Space, Doremi Fasol Latido and Space Ritual. The next two don't seem to be there. I've tried a little bit of their later stuff (Choose Your Masques) and am not into it.

Is there anything else in their catalog similar to the early albums?

loose-fish
Apr 1, 2005
Space Ritual is one of my favorite albums, definitely my favorite live album. I bought it three times!

I'm afraid those next two albums (Hall of the Mountain Grill and Warrior on the Edge of Time) are what you're looking for. Together with the ones you mentioned they make up THE classic Hawkwind albums.
First (two) song(s) of Warrior on the Edge of Time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXHTdGGJ860

As far as their later stuff goes I like Quark, Strangeness and Charm and The Chronicle of the Black Sword which is very different though.
Some people swear on Sonic Attack but I don't get it :shrug:

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Speaking of Hawkwind, Space Ritual is getting the Steven Wilson treatment soon.

loose-fish
Apr 1, 2005
That's interesting, he also remastered Warrior on the Edge of Time which came out earlier this year. Gonna have to check that out!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Iucounu posted:

Speaking of Hawkwind, Space Ritual is getting the Steven Wilson treatment soon.

I thought Wilson had a shitfit and decided not to do any remasters that weren't Crimson or something?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Allen Wren posted:

I thought Wilson had a shitfit and decided not to do any remasters that weren't Crimson or something?
Huh? He just remastered Tull's Thick as a Brick less than a year ago.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
He's also working on Yes' and XTC's catalogues :confused:

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Good god, I just spinned through the new Kayo Dot album and it's amazing, on par with Choirs of the Eye.

If you've been disappointed since Coyote check it out!

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Allen Wren posted:

Nah, he just decided not to do any more ELP.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

That was it.

dpf
Sep 17, 2011

if this's already been posted: well done, chaps.

if not, perhaps i'll remind you of an amazing tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t--QOcK6VWw

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

david puddy posted:

He's also working on Yes' and XTC's catalogues :confused:

If only he could go one step past XTC and do Oingo Boingo. If wishes were fishes.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Iucounu posted:

Nah, he just decided not to do any more ELP.

ELP is one of those bands that is great when you first here them, but the albums don't hold up as well on repeated listenings. Still, their first five albums are great, I was surprised he didn't do trilogy or brain salad surgery.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Sep 23, 2013

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
This is probably really tame by thread standards, but I have had RPWL (Beyond Man and Time), Amplifier (Echo St. and Sunriders EP), and Subsignal (Touchstones) on repeat for a while and am wanting more. Besides Wilson, P.Tree, DT, and the likes, what else would you guys recommend?

I do like the new Haken, it just throws off my groove a few too many times.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

This is probably really tame by thread standards, but I have had RPWL (Beyond Man and Time), Amplifier (Echo St. and Sunriders EP), and Subsignal (Touchstones) on repeat for a while and am wanting more. Besides Wilson, P.Tree, DT, and the likes, what else would you guys recommend?

I do like the new Haken, it just throws off my groove a few too many times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAMW7YgY7Xc

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

"Robert Fripp posted:

So, King Crimson is in motion. This is a very different reformation to what has gone before: seven players, four English and three American, with three drummers.

This is kinda exciting

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

david puddy posted:

This is kinda exciting

That sounds amazing. What are the chances one of them is Bruford back from the grave?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That's really kinda exciting. I've only seen the Ade/Fripp/Trey/Pat Crimson.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

teen bear posted:

That sounds amazing. What are the chances one of them is Bruford back from the grave?

Nil. I guess is Pat, Gavin, and ???

Cory and Trevor
Feb 22, 2006

Iucounu posted:

Bill Rieflin from ministry (confirmed)

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Iucounu posted:

Phil Collins!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Cory and Trevor posted:

Bill Rieflin from ministry (confirmed)

Source please? He's from Seattle? Robert said three Americans - Pat, Tony and Adrian would be the obvious ones, unless one of them is bowing out.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
I love the guy but I kinda hope Belew isn't involved this go-round.

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013
http://www.dgmlive.com/news.htm?entry=4335

quote:

The 8th incarnation of King Crimson will be Gavin Harrison, Bill Rieflin, Tony Levin, Pat Mastelotto, Mel Collins, Jakko Jakszyk and Robert Fripp.

Getting that sweet Collins sax and no more Belew for the first time since '81. I really like Adrian as a musician but it's a major change to lose him, and I'm pumped to see this incarnation.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Never had a chance to see Crimson live, so I'm pretty pumped about this news.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Never had a chance to see Crimson live, so I'm pretty pumped about this news.

I may even get to meet Robert this time out. :D

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Have they ever toured Australia? Is that a thing?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Well, I'm excited. Guess I should finally stop dragging my feet and listen to A Scarcity of Miracles.

I imagine given Jaksyk & Collins' involvement in 21st Century Schizoid Band that we'll finally be hearing more of the older material resurrected, but who knows what Fripp has in mind. I hope Sailors' Tale isn't too much to hope for.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Elvis is dead, Sinatra is dead, and me I feel also not so good.
I hope it's better than Scarcity of Miracles. I didn't like that very much.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Mithra6 posted:

I hope it's better than Scarcity of Miracles. I didn't like that very much.

It sounded like elevator music, even with Gavin and Tony! I'm hoping the whole "3 drummer-and-bass rhythm section as frontline" thing will be awesome and a lot more groovier than what I've heard from "Scarity Of Miracles".

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I'm really skeptical of the multiple drummers approach. I have yet to really hear an interesting well done example of it. Can anyone point me to something that might dispel my misgivings?

FalseParadigm
Apr 30, 2005

Chew, chew, chew. That is the thing to do.
The Melvins late 90s to present features two drummers playing in unison (most of the time). It is amazingly awesome live. A progressive example? Edgar Winter plays drums sometimes (that's all I've got - I'm a progressive newb).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Well, Larks' Tongues in Aspic for starters, though that's more drummer + insane percussionist.

I don't know that I would say I'm skeptical so much as totally convinced old King Crimson material reinterpreted with three drummers has to be interesting, though I don't know in what sense.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 25, 2013