Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

DrDork posted:

I'm going to be really curious to see how the professional reviews of the Gigabyte P34G end up being. It seems to be a pretty sweet little machine: 14" 1080p AHVA screen, 760M, 120GB SSD + 1TB HDD standard, 3.67lbs, aluminum body, and from what initial people are saying, a decent keyboard, trackpad, and cooling solution. $1400 for that doesn't sound terrible when you consider what else inhabits that general niche (Razor Blade at $1800, Clevo W740SU at 4.2lbs w/Iris 5200 for $1000+, MSI GE40 at 4.4lbs and 900p screen for $1200, etc).

It's a great PC on paper, but who knows how the execution will be. A lot of people on notebookreview really hate their W740SU's because of the horrible keyboard they included with them. That's the sort of thing you wouldn't be able to tell from a list of specs.

I have to say, it also makes me a little nervous that Lenovo, Dell, and HP don't sell a sub-4 pound laptop with a quad-core CPU. I can't decide whether they don't for practical cooling/battery reasons or whether it's something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Naffer posted:

It's a great PC on paper, but who knows how the execution will be. A lot of people on notebookreview really hate their W740SU's because of the horrible keyboard they included with them. That's the sort of thing you wouldn't be able to tell from a list of specs.
Oh, absolutely. The reason I'm cautiously optimistic is because it's already hit shelves (so to speak) in Australia and some Euro locales, and the non-professional reviews so far are all somewhere between what you'd expect (fan gets loud when you max the GPU out, and battery life while gaming isn't great) to fairly positive (pretty good keyboard, little to no flex of components, etc). So maybe this time someone actually managed to put it all together without loving at least one part up terribly, but yeah, I'm not plunking down $1400 until I see some real reviews.

Naffer posted:

I have to say, it also makes me a little nervous that Lenovo, Dell, and HP don't sell a sub-4 pound laptop with a quad-core CPU. I can't decide whether they don't for practical cooling/battery reasons or whether it's something else.
Both, really. First, the i5's they're normally stuffing into the ultraportables are 15W, vice most of the i7's being 47W, so yeah, there's a good bit more thermal issues to consider, and while a "gaming" laptop is more or less allowed to be noisy at full tilt, a business-class laptop that sounds like a dustbuster when it's on is not going to win any friends. Also there's the price--the i5's go for around $300, give or take, while the i7's are all about $100 more (and the few 15W i7's are more like $150+), so you're talking a noticeable increase in what are otherwise mostly ~$1000 laptops, billed to markets where the extra processing oomph is generally neither required nor desired.

And for what it's worth, the T440p is supposed to have optional i7's, so it's not like it can't be done--it's just gonna cost you.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I wanted to like HP's Chromebook 14 (that orange colored one looks so sweet), but after perusing the web for more info, I found out it's 4lbs and has a 1366x768 14" display. Ugh.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
I think the T440s is fine for anyone NOT looking for exactly those qualities it has lost. Anyone here has pretty much said as much. But I will wait for the notebookrcheck review before I decide on this fully.
The 440s is available in Germany since beginning of this month and this dude has just bought one. Of course he likes it. Let's also remember that there was a user review which pretty much stated "the trackpad is horrible, buildquality is much better than the 431, yet still not perfect" from a person who also bought that laptop.

On the other hand notebookcheck has just reviewed the first of the Dell 7000 series. Good ultrabook, not as sturdy as the 6000 range apparently. They even like the budget S440 more in build quality

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Thumbtacks posted:

I need a laptop suggestion. Right now I have a Vaio VPCSA2CFX/SI (man that's a long name) which is pretty good, except the design is very weird. Basically the only fan exit is on the back of the laptop, so when the laptop's actually open, the lid cuts off half the exit, so it's constantly getting really hot and it's incredibly loud. The graphics aren't GREAT (I mean it's a laptop so I'm not expecting anything major), it can't really do anti-aliasing or shadows or shaders to any reasonable level (wow still needs to run on low, for example, or i'll drop below 30 fps). Having something that could look good while maintaining an acceptable frame rate would be nice.

Ideally I'd like to replace it, preferably with one that wasn't designed by monkeys. Smaller is better (right now I think mine's like 13-14", which is a good size), ultrabooks are probably too expensive for that budget but in theory ultrabooks are better because they're thin and I can bring them to class without people assuming I came in on a helicopter...that's pretty much it. I'll realistically use it for gaming quite a bit so a good processor and all the other bits should be good or whatever.

Any suggestions?

(The last guy I asked just told me to build a PC for my gaming needs, but I need to replace my laptop too and I don't have money to replace it AND build a PC from scratch. Plus I'm heading off to grad school soon and I don't want to drag a PC around with me.)

You can always do the chromebook + desktop combo if you just want your laptop to either A) do only web and word processing stuff or B) be a Linux machine that you code or screw around on. If you want your laptop to play games, then obviously a Chromebook won't work so well unless you just really really like indie games

The Y410p has a bunch of reviews in the thread. It's a 14" laptop with a 750M and a quad-core Haswell CPU. It's pretty cheap, especially through the B&N link in the OP, but it has pretty good build quality and is pretty beefy. I and several others in the thread have purchased it. Buying an SSD and slapping it in there makes it even better.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

teagone posted:

I wanted to like HP's Chromebook 14 (that orange colored one looks so sweet), but after perusing the web for more info, I found out it's 4lbs and has a 1366x768 14" display. Ugh.
Not only is it a four pound Chromebook but it also gets less than 5 hours of battery life. Seriously, HP?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I guess we can't ask for a lot for $300, but it would have been nice to have a decent amount of battery life...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The only real issue I have with my y410p is the display is pretty terrible. My 7 year old E1505 has a better display. When I'm actually playing a game, I tend not to notice since I'm in the action and the thing plays beautifully, but I really wouldn't want to use it as a primary computer otherwise without hooking it to an external monitor.

I will say though I'm biased because I'm surrounded by good displays. My home desktop uses an UltraSharp U2211H, I use two Dell S2240M at work, even my work E5530 has a 1080p IPS display. My main TV is a Panasonic ST50 plasma.

So, against all of those, the display on the y410p stands out as particularly bad. Panel uniformity is really bad as there's not an angle you can view it at where you don't either start to see it wash out or start to invert. There's no perfect viewing angle. There really isn't anything else out there in the same price/performance category though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

After this generation of laptops, anything that doesn't have IPS or an equivalent might as well be thrown in the trash.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

After this generation of laptops, anything that doesn't have IPS or an equivalent might as well be thrown in the trash.

Macbook Air to go from most recommended to literal garbage in less than a year!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I understand it's a cheap laptop compared to it's specs, but the newer generation of IPS stuff is also really cheap. I mean, you can pick up an S2240M for around $150 or less now depending on sales and it's a beautiful IPS panel. It's just a puzzling decision, I would rather the upgraded display option cost 50% more and gave better quality.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

RVProfootballer posted:

Macbook Air to go from most recommended to literal garbage in less than a year!

People are already complaining about the current screen, it's not terrible but it's not 'great'. This is a $1,099 laptop we are talking about here.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I'm going to replace my optical drive in my T430 with an ultrabay caddy. Is there anything I need to look for or stay away from? Will one advertised for the T420 work?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

People are already complaining about the current screen, it's not terrible but it's not 'great'. This is a $1,099 laptop we are talking about here.

Oh I agree, it was just funny to me. To be fair, it's probably getting close to when Apple will update the MBA screen, too, right? In another year or two? Although I'm not sure where they'll go, I can't see them bumping up the screen to rMBP quality or doing a straight 1920x1200.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

"Mr. Roark, we're alone here. Why don't you tell me what you think of me? In any words you wish. No one will hear us."
"But I don't think of you."

bull3964 posted:

I understand it's a cheap laptop compared to it's specs, but the newer generation of IPS stuff is also really cheap. I mean, you can pick up an S2240M for around $150 or less now depending on sales and it's a beautiful IPS panel. It's just a puzzling decision, I would rather the upgraded display option cost 50% more and gave better quality.

This. You've got me scared about my y510p. Lenovo has a good return policy, so I'll wait and see.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

Oh I agree, it was just funny to me. To be fair, it's probably getting close to when Apple will update the MBA screen, too, right? In another year or two? Although I'm not sure where they'll go, I can't see them bumping up the screen to rMBP quality or doing a straight 1920x1200.
It'd be Apple's first move to a non-doubled resolution, so I'd be very surprised if they did that.

They're not going to come down from the current 12-hour battery life to add a Retina screen. The Air form factor is getting old so maybe they'll come out with something all new. It'd be nice if they ditched that massive bezel, and trimmed it up like the MacBook Pro Retina 13"

And then make it space grey like the new iPhone!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Socrates16 posted:

This. You've got me scared about my y510p. Lenovo has a good return policy, so I'll wait and see.

Yeah, it's not so bad that I would think about returning it because I really like it otherwise. But, like I said, I bought it to play games while sitting on the couch and it's great for that.

If it was my primary daily machine that I did a lot of reading web content on, I would find it sub par. Fortunately, I do most of that on my Nexus 7 2013.

The y510p uses a different display though so it's hard to say how that one looks.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Yeah. The screens on the y410p (and I assume on the y510p) are mediocre. I put the same webpage side by side with my 2013 Nexus 7 and I giggle a little.

That said, for a guy like me, screen quality isn't that important. My laptop is my travel gaming machine, and as such, my y410p performs absolutely great! If you are a guy that can put up with a subpar screen (with a decent resolution at 900p, 1080p for the y510p), then I can't sing it's praises enough. There are downsides to this laptop, but again, we're talking about an $800 laptop that outperforms most of the $1000 laptops offered by its competition.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
My only complaint about the 510p screen is that the vertical viewing angle is pretty narrow, it's surprisingly good for the pricerange.

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.
I thought I'd throw this in here, since I was looking into the Lenovo Return Policy:

Lenovo Return Policy
Lenovo will accept the return or exchange of a Product in its original package for a full refund in cases of Lenovo error (*see gift card policy below). Returns allowed for any other reason will be subject to a restocking fee equal to 15% of the purchase amount (*see gift card policy below). All returns must be initiated within 21 days of the invoice date.

No such thing as a free ride.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

This question might get asked a lot, i went through the past couple of pages and didn't see it though:

Is there an equivalent in the PC laptop world of the Retina Macbook Pro? And when I say that, I mean in all aspects other than the Retina Display, which I can live without. Built very well, solid, but very light (for the power), no optical drive, very powerful, etc. I'm looking for a mobile image editing workstation, images that can often go to 700MB, using PS, LR, and various plugins that need a lot of CPU power. GPU less important. Obviously has to have a pretty drat good display (I can use my main monitor when I'm home).

I'm prepared to spend the $2800 or so it would be for a rMBP with a decked out SSD, etc... but I'd like to know if there's a PC alternative first. I know I could just dump Windows 8 on a MBP, but I wouldn't. This is about saving money.

Lenovo stuff looks like it's designed by a five year old.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

This question might get asked a lot, i went through the past couple of pages and didn't see it though:

Is there an equivalent in the PC laptop world of the Retina Macbook Pro? And when I say that, I mean in all aspects other than the Retina Display, which I can live without. Built very well, solid, but very light (for the power), no optical drive, very powerful, etc. I'm looking for a mobile image editing workstation, images that can often go to 700MB, using PS, LR, and various plugins that need a lot of CPU power. GPU less important. Obviously has to have a pretty drat good display (I can use my main monitor when I'm home).

I'm prepared to spend the $2800 or so it would be for a rMBP with a decked out SSD, etc... but I'd like to know if there's a PC alternative first. I know I could just dump Windows 8 on a MBP, but I wouldn't. This is about saving money.

Lenovo stuff looks like it's designed by a five year old.

Waiting for the Dell M3800 is probably your best bet but it hasn't been released yet. It does have a retina-style display: http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/04/campaigns/precision-m3800-workstation

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

"Mr. Roark, we're alone here. Why don't you tell me what you think of me? In any words you wish. No one will hear us."

Nitis posted:

I thought I'd throw this in here, since I was looking into the Lenovo Return Policy:

Lenovo Return Policy
Lenovo will accept the return or exchange of a Product in its original package for a full refund in cases of Lenovo error (*see gift card policy below). Returns allowed for any other reason will be subject to a restocking fee equal to 15% of the purchase amount (*see gift card policy below). All returns must be initiated within 21 days of the invoice date.

That's cheap. I asked a rep who told me it was free. And here's a direct quote from their website

"Purchase any product on Lenovo.com and get FREE UPS Standard Shipping and FREE returns. Simply contact Lenovo to acquire a return shipping label. We'll credit your account within 7-10 business days of receipt. Returns must be initiated within 30 days of invoice on order to be eligible." http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...nt-and-shipping

However, if you click on "additional information" It has what is quoted above. That's blatant false advertising if I've ever saw it. How can you say one thing, emphasizing the free aspect in capital letters, and then directly contradict it in the "additional details"? They even have different dates for return eligibility! Hopefully I'm happy with the order and don't have to worry about it.

Socrates16 fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 24, 2013

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Samsung's ATIV Book 9 Plus?

3200xsomething stupid high IPS touch screen screen, I think comes with an i7 but you're going to be thermally limited in such a small case. It's a consumer notebook though, not a commercial workstation like a W530

You're probably better off with the rMBP if you are unwilling to settle for the ugly brute that is the W530 w/1080p screen

The W540 should be out with a pretty killer screen, what screen size are you shooting for? The new W540 and T540, and slimline model T440s are supposed to have some pretty rockin' IPS screens but they aren't in the wild yet. If you can wait about three more weeks we should have more info.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Socrates16 posted:

That's cheap. I asked a rep who told me it was free. And here's a direct quote from their website

"Purchase any product on Lenovo.com and get FREE UPS Standard Shipping and FREE returns. Simply contact Lenovo to acquire a return shipping label. We'll credit your account within 7-10 business days of receipt. Returns must be initiated within 30 days of invoice on order to be eligible." http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...nt-and-shipping

However, if you click on "additional information" It has what is quoted above. That's blatant false advertising if I've ever saw it. How can you say one thing, emphasizing the free aspect in capital letters, and then directly contradict it in the "additional details"? They even have different dates for return eligibility! Hopefully I'm happy with the order and don't have to worry about it.

Worst case scenario, if you do need to return it, you can badger them about it and maybe get them to concede. :v:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Hadlock posted:

Samsung's ATIV Book 9 Plus?

3200xsomething stupid high IPS touch screen screen, I think comes with an i7 but you're going to be thermally limited in such a small case. It's a consumer notebook though, not a commercial workstation like a W530

You're probably better off with the rMBP if you are unwilling to settle for the ugly brute that is the W530 w/1080p screen

The W540 should be out with a pretty killer screen, what screen size are you shooting for? The new W540 and T540, and slimline model T440s are supposed to have some pretty rockin' IPS screens but they aren't in the wild yet. If you can wait about three more weeks we should have more info.
I'm not in a hurry, probably wouldn't purchase until November or whenever the rMBP gets updated. A screen size in the 14" to 15" range would be best.

The W540 isn't TOO ugly, and it does seem to have a lot going for it.

e: A difficult question to answer since it's not out yet, but is the W540 going to be built well? No creaks and poo poo when I pick it up, etc.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 24, 2013

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

That's ridiculous hyperbole. Even the mediocre cheap screen on the Y410p still looks good, it's a fine choice if you don't want to pay extra for an IPS screen.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I hear Adobe programs scale poorly with PC retina screens. The UI will be small. As far as build quality goes I'm happy with my Samsung Ativ Book Plus, it seems much nicer then the Zenbook/Sony I previously had. If you plan on using it on battery you'll want to delete LCDmodechecker (which will totally gently caress up your colors in the name of saving power.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I should mention it should have Displayport/Thunderbolt output, since my main monitor is 2560x1440 and, from what I understand, cannot be supported by HDMI.

Socrates16
Aug 21, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

That's ridiculous hyperbole. Even the mediocre cheap screen on the Y410p still looks good, it's a fine choice if you don't want to pay extra for an IPS screen.

Good compared to what? A decent HDTV? I can live with that. IDGAF about viewing angles. I just want something comparable to my TV when it's on my lap.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Wow, the Surface Pro 2 256GB preorder is already sold out here in Norway :(

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Socrates16 posted:

It's poor phrasing, indeed, but what they mean is that they'll pay for the return shipping. And yes, you can usually get around the restocking fee if you actually cite some issue with the laptop ("The screen was of a very poor quality, with lots of light bleed, etc") vice just calling up and telling them you simply don't want it/changed your mind.

Crappy old TV
Nov 26, 2010
Looking for a recommendation or guidance for a high-end desktop replacement laptop with an ultra high resolution screen.

Uses, in order of priority:
-Video editing (LOTS of time-lapse stuff with upwards of 8,000+ 5mp images in one project, as well as editing 1080 video shot with my Canon 7D)
-Digital photography (Processing lots of 18mp RAW files, stitching together 10+ image panoramas and extensive use of CS5's "Content Aware Fill")
-If possible, some infrequent gaming and game development (A graphics card equivalent to an GTX 460 is plenty, and I could be happy with less)

Physical desires:
-Ultra-high resolution screen (think 200ppi+, 3200x1800 or higher for a 15")
-15" minimum, 17" would be fine too
-Backlit keyboard w/dedicated 10-key
-SSD primary drive (I've got a handful of 3tb externals for storage

So far, I've found the Dell Precision M4800, and I'm wondering what else is out there that I should consider. I'd like to keep the budget under $2k if possible, but if it's worth it I'll go up to $2500.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Socrates16 posted:

Good compared to what? A decent HDTV? I can live with that. IDGAF about viewing angles. I just want something comparable to my TV when it's on my lap.

Good compared to my Dell Inspiron. It's like most cheap laptop screens: adequate. It's the same as a cheap HDTV, yeah

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Crappy old TV posted:

Looking for a recommendation or guidance for a high-end desktop replacement laptop with an ultra high resolution screen.
15" and 3200x1800 doesn't leave you with many options. You've pretty much got that Dell Precision, the HP ZBook 15, and the MBPr if you're willing to take a slight resolution hit. Everything else at that resolution is a 13.3" or 14" screen. All three options have (at least options for) i7 CPUs and 16GB RAM or more, with backlit keyboards.

The MBPr doesn't have a dedicated numberpad, but is the only one actually available right now, and can easily be expected to have the best build quality and durability, and the $2200 version comes with a 256GB SSD. Only a 2880x1800 screen, but still super loving nice. 4.46lbs, 650M GPU.
The ZBook 15 won't start shipping for another ~3 weeks, so until then we can only make guesses at build quality and whatnot. It has the screen res you want and the numpad. The baseline version costs $2000 with no SSD, so you'll be adding that yourself unless you want to spend $2600 for the upgraded 128GB version. 6.2lbs. K610M (~630M) or K1100M (~640M?) GPU
The Dell likewise has no SSD at $2000, and wants you to step up to $2500 for a 256GB SSD. Also has your resolution and num-pad, also won't be available for another ~3 weeks. 6.35lbs. K2100M (~650M?) or K1100M (~640M?) GPU

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope
I'm in the market for a laptop that fits the following requirements:

- Small footprint/portable (but probably no smaller than a 13" display)
- Able to run two external displays (with the lid closed, just in case that makes a difference!) at resolutions of no bigger than 1920x1200
- Windows OS

This would be used by members of our executive board who are looking for a model they can plug into a dock while in the office, and rely solely on the two external monitors (my cursory understanding is that the Macbook Air can do this currently, but we need a Windows solution for most of them). They can then just take it off the dock when they're looking to work off-site, and go from there.

From what I can tell, not a whole lot of laptops support two external monitors - but if I'm completely off the mark in that regard then that'll certainly make things easier - thanks!

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005

Nitis posted:

Lenovo Return Policy

It's really time you Americans discover the wonderful world of consumer protection laws :smug:

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

buildmorefarms posted:

- Able to run two external displays (with the lid closed, just in case that makes a difference!) at resolutions of no bigger than 1920x1200
- Windows OS

This would be used by members of our executive board who are looking for a model they can plug into a dock while in the office, and rely solely on the two external monitors (my cursory understanding is that the Macbook Air can do this currently, but we need a Windows solution for most of them). They can then just take it off the dock when they're looking to work off-site, and go from there.

From what I can tell, not a whole lot of laptops support two external monitors - but if I'm completely off the mark in that regard then that'll certainly make things easier - thanks!

I'm no expert, but maybe this has potential? http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/TAICHI_31/

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

buildmorefarms posted:

- Windows OS

Pretty much any laptop with 2 video outputs should do, and lots of laptops have that these days; everyone wants an HDMI output, but lots of other people still want VGA for old projectors and stuff, so now a lot of laptops just come with both. The Y410p has both, as an example, but it might be too heavy for what you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Boner Slam posted:

It's really time you Americans discover the wonderful world of consumer protection laws :smug:

Given the choice, I'll stick with not paying the 70-150% premium to buy electronics in Europe.