Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I wasn't really feeling last week, and I didn't really care for the resolution of the MOTW, but the moment they had the hilarious John Cho runs into the wall video I knew I was in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Josh Lyman posted:

Everybody switch to NBC for The Blacklist!

Spader is her dad, right? Almost has to be, that's gotta be it.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000

Gyges posted:

It's her sister.

Whoops. That's why I should listen better.

Annakie posted:

The writers posted a picture of themselves on their twitter: https://twitter.com/sleepywriters/status/382208506348068864/photo/1

There's like five times more diversity in that writer's room than most writers rooms in television. Plus, four of the seven important characters we've now met are PoC. I think we're gonna be in good hands diversity-wise. :D
But that's cool. Going to have to follow these guys; they have got to be having a good time.

Kangaroo Jerk fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 24, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Oh hey, the husband is misinterpreting an actual crisis for an excuse to get out of family obligation. :fuckoff:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

nine-gear crow posted:

Also, this show needs more of Ichabod being charmingly bemused by modern technology/society, THAT is the best part of this show.

Hopefully Ichabod will take it upon himself to investigate this mysterious ape uprising by the season finale :tinfoil:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
"I do know how to work a firearm; they did have them in my time. :smug:"
"They have more than one shot these days? Whoops! :saddowns:"

I really love this show. :allears:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The TV IVSleepy Hollow - John Cho - Demonic Temp

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The TV IVSleepy Hollow - John Cho - Demonic Temp

He really seems like more of an unpaid intern.

No Manners No
Jul 15, 2010

drat, we should have gone with witchcraft songs over horse songs.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
John Cho, you really got to ask yourself after getting your neck stretchy and snapped and digging up bones for an ungrateful witch. Is the apocalypse really that worth it? :sigh:

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I read like 5 posts to get a gauge if you all were still down with this show and judging from the post count/tone of responses it delivered. So excited to see this but I gotta wait until tomorrow

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Compendium posted:

John Cho, you really got to ask yourself after getting your neck stretchy and snapped and digging up bones for an ungrateful witch. Is the apocalypse really that worth it? :sigh:

Hey, apparently Satan has good healthcare coverage. Look what he did for a broken neck... granted that he caused, but still, try getting that fixed under Obamacare. :v:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Sep 24, 2013

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
After letting it settle for a couple hours, I'm going to say this episode was even stronger than the pilot, despite the lack of headless men with high powered firearms.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Compendium posted:

When a super scary demon is on your case, you're less likely to ask questions.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Coconut Indian posted:

When are they going to do the shopping spree montage to update his wardrobe?

heavy liquid posted:

So when is he going to stop wearing his 230+ year old clothes?

Hopefully the same time they make Captain Hook stop wearing his pirate garb on Once Upon a Time. Which should be NEVER! They are hot in their old timey clothes. I'll happily ignore the logic of them wearing the same clothes every single day. I'll just pretend Ichabod washes his clothes and then drys them every day with his handy dandy hair/towel dryer.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
It would probably seem normal to someone of that time period to keep rewearing a set of clothes. What, you think everybody could just afford to wear a different set of trousers EVERY DAY?!

Also they are hot.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Show of hands, who else here is kind of bummed that FOX didn't splurge and just buy the rights to Sympathy for the Devil to use as their opening theme? Sure they wouldn't have any money left over for their VFX budget, but at least I could get up and dace for about 20 seconds while the intro rolled.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Alan Sepinwall gave the pilot a B- and said, "I suspect it's bad, and that it will be proven to be bad over the course of its first season." He's dead to me. :colbert:

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Given how wacky this show is it's amazing we're on 14 pages and haven't had some assholes repeatedly arguing about how such and such fact is ruining their immersion.

It's pretty funny that they're just straight up copying things too, the T2 psych ward thing, Harry Potter/Voldemort blood mixing so neither can die while the other lives, etc.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It's kind of hard for your immersion to be broken when it doesn't exist to begin with. That's one of the perks of having the show go nuts from the very beginning, you can do whatever the hell you want because gently caress it, why not.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
"Look, guys, we changed our minds after we filmed the pilot and decided we wanted to use John Cho and Clancy Brown as semi-regulars after all."

I like how indignant he was when she was explaining how to use a gun. "Look, just because I'm from the past doesn't mean I'm an idiot. :colbert:"

Lycus fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Sep 24, 2013

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
After the "10% tax on donuts?!" part, I reiterate my previous wish to see Crane see the modern Tea Party, Rascals and all.

Lycus posted:

I like how indignant he was when she was explaining how to use a gun. "Look, just because I'm from the past doesn't mean I'm an idiot. :colbert:"

Yeah, and then the perfect counterpoint - "They shoot more than one bullet?"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

First of all, that episode was again awesome. Loving this show. Second of all, apparently it had really great DVR gains on last week's episode as well as having a really solid live rating. Hope the second week drop isn't too steep. If these first two episodes are any indication I'll be watching this show for the duration.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

I think it can only get better, a lot of this episode was post-pilot info dump reminder dialogue, I can't wait until it's just a full episode of nothing but new stuff.

meristem posted:

After the "10% tax on donuts?!" part

Ahem, baked goods.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I'm so relieved that the second episode lived up to the pilot.

If you guys have any gif requests, let me know. I don't think I'm gonna recap the entire episode again (that took a couple of hours) but I've been making gifs for tumblr and would be happy to make anything the thread requests. :)

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Zombie Cho gifs. Any and all will do, but especially the ressurrection.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Those moments before his head went back on right were pretty creepy.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

muscles like this? posted:

Next week's monster looks freaky deaky.

Something about it's mouth creeps me out...

The second episode was good as well! I'm glad that the show is rolling with being over-the-top, because if it was trying to be serious I don't think that it would work. I was a bit disappointed that the witch turned out to be such a short-lived villian, but I'm not really surprised.

My favorite jokes was the bit about taxes and Crane's response to Abbie's impersonation of his accent.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Annakie posted:

I'm so relieved that the second episode lived up to the pilot.

If you guys have any gif requests, let me know. I don't think I'm gonna recap the entire episode again (that took a couple of hours) but I've been making gifs for tumblr and would be happy to make anything the thread requests. :)

Are there any good Satan gifs, from either episode? Maybe that scene where he's sneaking up on Cho in the jail cell? (Please forgive me, if this exists already).

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
3.1 rating compared to 3.5 premiere. Pretty good.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...ostages/204381/

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
As long as there is more Zombie Cho I will watch this sshow.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Zombie Cho's mouth, now a delivery system for Hell's knick-knacks.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!
I wish I was enjoying this show as much as you guys. I can't get into the two main characters. They feel really average/generic, and I can't keep my attention on them. I realized halfway through this second episode that I had no idea what was going on because I didn't care to. If the two main actors approached me on the street yelling "SLEEPY HOLLOW!" in my face, I still wouldn't recognize them.

The female lead was saying something that was supposed to be really emotional (I forget what exactly), and I kept thinking that they haven't built up the character enough to make people care, but I seem to be the only one with that viewpoint and everybody else is on board. That's ok though, Grimm returns in one month.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Decius posted:

3.1 rating compared to 3.5 premiere. Pretty good.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...ostages/204381/

Like, renew good?

Also god I love this show.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Like, renew good?

Also god I love this show.

Too early to say, but that's definitely good retention for a second episode.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

particle409 posted:

I wish I was enjoying this show as much as you guys. I can't get into the two main characters. They feel really average/generic, and I can't keep my attention on them. I realized halfway through this second episode that I had no idea what was going on because I didn't care to. If the two main actors approached me on the street yelling "SLEEPY HOLLOW!" in my face, I still wouldn't recognize them.

The female lead was saying something that was supposed to be really emotional (I forget what exactly), and I kept thinking that they haven't built up the character enough to make people care, but I seem to be the only one with that viewpoint and everybody else is on board. That's ok though, Grimm returns in one month.

I imagine there is a bit of a love it or hate it aspect. Personally I think the leads are fantastic.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

particle409 posted:

I love Grimm, but it seems odd to bring it up in a post that complains about bland/generic leads :confused:

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Yeah, I'm not going to jump on you for not liking the same show I do but it's weird you just complained about something Grimm is far, far worse at. I couldn't even make it through the 4th or 5th episode of Grimm because of how generic it was. It's basically Sleepy Hollow that takes itself way too seriously and doesn't have any of the humor.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Midnight City posted:

Yeah, I'm not going to jump on you for not liking the same show I do but it's weird you just complained about something Grimm is far, far worse at. I couldn't even make it through the 4th or 5th episode of Grimm because of how generic it was. It's basically Sleepy Hollow that takes itself way too seriously and doesn't have any of the humor.

To be fair, Grimm does have Monroe, Hank, and Wu...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
The first four episodes of Grimm in the first season were various degrees of stank on ice, though even they had a few fun moments. The fifth episode, with the ratkin kid that played pied piper violinist was awesome. One of the things I like about Grimm is the relative lack of external pressure on Nick to do what he does, unlike the "You are one of the two Witnesses who have been Destined by Fate to be the Chosen Ones to fulfill the Prophecy" of Sleepy Hollow. Nick does what he does out of a sense of decency and duty, not because "the elder gods will nuke the world if you don't."

Also, I like the way Nick is fairly laid back about this stuff instead of going all "I am the vengeful avenger whose thirst for revenge will drive me to seek vengeance and I will be avenged!" the way I see Abby and/or her sister going. Don't get me wrong. I like Sleepy Hollow so far, but I can see it might wear a little thin after a while.

In terms of pet peeves, the only thing I can name that truly burrs my saddle is the 250 years thing. Unless this show is somehow taking place in the year 2031 or so, they're off by a couple of decades. If you want to talk estimates just say "over 225 years had passed" or "over two and a quarter centuries" something like that. Otherwise I want to start seeing cybernetics, lasers and some goddam flying cars in Sleepy Hollow.

• Locked thread