Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Yeah, fine. I love how sandal debate was more intense than bow debate.

I was away for the weekend and missed bow debate. I think training with a giant club or maul would have made us massive, but whatevs. We can toot on our flute and twirl in our sandals and then shoot an apple off of Danal's head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

OhYo posted:

Sandals aside, which is more important to you, honor or survival?

In the current context there is not a great deal of distance between the two.

Thinking just a bit ahead. We have brought Snarls. It is really something to have put another clearly sentient (and very funny) being in this situation. ('Who's a good Dog'? He points at us.) He is Snarls and he probably would have chosen, even knowing the risk and all, but still... Should the situation arise I can say now that I am not willing to sacrifice Snarls to save our rear end. I propose that getting us both back whole and healthy, honor intact, offering in hand or heart is as important as any other aspect of the journey, now that we have chosen to bring him. Probably not for everyone, but I am a part of our spirit that is willing to die (and even have the game end) to accomplish or attempt to accomplish this.

Survival is more than the technical ability and requires the fierce will to live, often accomplished by having one's attention on something outside of (and even larger or more important) than one's self.

Should we wish of course, we could just use this as an opportunity to free ourselves and never return to Zepath. I am also a part of our spirit not in favor of that course of action. I wish to see it through, for better or worse, and attempt to do so fully, with whatever gusto we can marshal. We can see about the legalities of freedom and marriage and such things later. We might want to know for ourselves how we fair in such a test, rather than for the sake of anyone or anything else.

I like our week with Tudiya, the quiet before the storm. I figure the questions are spread out over 10 days of long walks and evening meals and so not too much.

Edit: it seems to me that these sorts of things might be much on our mind during the week with Tudiya.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 24, 2013

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I will be home in about two hours and then start in Labaras Story time and resolve the Great Sandal Debate at the same time.

Could anyone do a count on:

1. Labaras Story Time v advancing time

2. The Great Sandal Debate

Having the count done means I can start the update that much quicker.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
OK. I will try to get a count by the time you get home.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
I never voted regarding storytime - my vote is to time skip so there is no more debate like this sandal debacle.

Lets get into the thick of things, find a statue to ask if the sky is truly blue, or if Tudiyah is mad we didn't tell him about our sandals.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I forgot to weigh in on the first question, so I would like an update instead of the storytime.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Bit late, I suppose, but just in case that swing in the end wasn't enough - I vote we keep mum about the sandals because we promised Ishmael that we wouldn't blab about them.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
So if our skirt/kilt thingy were magic, would you guys want to leave us flapping in the wind as well? SHUT UP ABOUT SANDALS, IT'S STORYTIME

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Voting sandal silence.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
I say update instead of the storytime.

Also, no sandal talk.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Tomn posted:

By the way, it might have gotten missed under my tide of questions earlier, but I got an idea for an offering. We just learned how to read and write, right? So let's find a stone slab of the appropriate size, gin up some rough tools to carve it a bit with, and then slam down a poem of praise to El and/or a vow to behave in such-and-such a way. Managing to pull that off and then lug the drat thing back to the city while finding food, shelter, and water ought to be a worthy offering, right?

I like this! It is like HanShan. We should just spend as much time as we can writing poems on stones and trees in the wilderness until we have one for El.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I'd like an update and we can have storytime later, when we've come back. It seems more thematically appropriate.

eta: Just reiterating my previous vote for update and storytime after we're back.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 24, 2013

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm inclined to treat our experience in the forest as being covered by our prohibition on sharing visions. While I believe keeping the sandals violates the spirit of the test telling Tudiya about them would break an existing promise. I'd switch my vote to don't wear the sandals during the test but at this point the writing's on the wall. We won't tell Tudiya about the sandals or give them to him.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

I'm inclined to treat our experience in the forest as being covered by our prohibition on sharing visions. While I believe keeping the sandals violates the spirit of the test telling Tudiya about them would break an existing promise. I'd switch my vote to don't wear the sandals during the test but at this point the writing's on the wall. We won't tell Tudiya about the sandals or give them to him.
Oh wow, this is definitely heroic. I would definitely vote this if it were an option.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Story time!

BoyG
Nov 24, 2004

Have you heard the tale of the Cannibal King of Kavodel?
We have been wearing these drat sandals for literally years, I don't think that they would be something on the forefront of our mind to mention while being faced with the task of surviving a month alone in Minotaur infested woods.

Story!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

RandomPauI posted:

Please stop trying to out hardass the loving eight and a half feet tall warrior king. The sandals hardly provide us with some kind of overwhelming advantage. They aren't going to provide water for us. They aren't going to find and/or catch our food for us. They aren't going to make or find an appropriate sacrifice for us. They aren't going to make our time in the wilderness pass by any quicker. They will keep our feet unharmed and let us move a little bit farther each day, and that's mostly what normal sandals do anyway.

You're just asking us to get trench-foot or something.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Here is the vote as I count it. People went back and forth. Changed their minds. I took ironic statements such as 'yeh, why don't we just go naked, beat ourselves with a stick, shave off all our body hair' as 'No' votes on the Great Sandal Debate of Enkidel's Manhood Rite.

I did not count subcategories regarding what kind of story. There were a handful in favor of Labaras and a handful for dealer's choice. I did not count votes for the Message to Mom since there were no dissenting voices.

A 'Yes' vote for Sandals indicates wanting to tell Tudiya.

pre:
Sandals		Story		Marriage	
Yes	No	Yes	No	Yes	No
7	25	22	4	3	13

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Okay I want to put this out here before I forget: Before Tudiyah leaves us, thank him and give him a hug.:kimchi:

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Voting is closed on the sandal, marriage and storytime questions. I will start on the update in about an hour.

Edit: You can still vote on the hug or anything else if you like. Voting is just closed on the 3 issues listed above.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 24, 2013

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Okay I want to put this out here before I forget: Before Tudiyah leaves us, thank him and give him a hug.:kimchi:

Too late for now but I agree with the sentiment; maybe after we have returned with our offering. It's a pretty big deal that Tudiya himself is taking us through this rite of passage, normally carried out between father and son.

Remember how he seemed hurt when we asked about being a slave?

edit: yep, consider this a vote for.

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 24, 2013

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

You can still vote on that if you like. Voting is just closed on the 3 issues listed above.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Dio, if you count this as a suggestion that doesn't need a vote, please include it in the update.

e: Oh, OK then, THIS

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Give him a hug

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Go for it. This is our last chance to act like a boy, after all. When we get back it'll be nothing but firm handclasps and eye to eye contact from now on.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Guys, I am dead tired. Instead of Labaras Story Time tonight, we will go for a double header tomorrow night with Labaras Story Time and then, Time Progression.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, go ahead and hug.

Diogines posted:

Guys, I am dead tired. Instead of Labaras Story Time tonight, we will go for a double header tomorrow night with Labaras Story Time and then, Time Progression.

Take your time.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
While dio withdraws and prepares for a double update tomorrow i want to make a suggestion on how we can take the manhood forest test as purely and heroically as possible.

We've already concluded that hair and nails are not a living part of us but for puritys sake i suggest that we also leave behind all parasites, viruses active or inactive. All foreign bacteria that isn't created from our dna.
That means we nees to leave our mouth and nose parts. We need to sterilize our skin and rip out our GI tract.

As a matter of fact our cells aren't us
Theyre just cheap copies made to keep us alive so lets just loving dissipate and take the test as a ghostly essence of Og

For maximum heroism. For purity.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Paradise lost: clash of the footwear

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Basscop posted:

While dio withdraws and prepares for a double update tomorrow i want to make a suggestion on how we can take the manhood forest test as purely and heroically as possible.

We've already concluded that hair and nails are not a living part of us but for puritys sake i suggest that we also leave behind all parasites, viruses active or inactive. All foreign bacteria that isn't created from our dna.
That means we nees to leave our mouth and nose parts. We need to sterilize our skin and rip out our GI tract.

As a matter of fact our cells aren't us
Theyre just cheap copies made to keep us alive so lets just loving dissipate and take the test as a ghostly essence of Og

That would certainly give the king something to think about.

I don't think he'd let us marry his daughter though. :(

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

Angela Christine posted:

I don't think he'd let us marry his daughter though. :(

Pff yes he will, we're his Good Dog.

If our promise to Ishamal doesn't include the shrine, I'm ok with telling Tudiya about it on our journey to Death Valley.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!
As long as we're having Man Time with King Superman, how about one night around the fire or whatever we just ask, "You know that guy that shot lightning at you was my dad, right?"

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

rex monday posted:

As long as we're having Man Time with King Superman, how about one night around the fire or whatever we just ask, "You know that guy that shot lightning at you was my dad, right?"

That seems unwise.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Tsyni posted:

That seems unwise.
Some of these topics, like revealing more about our past, asking his daughter's hand in marriage and so on, would be worth breaching after we return having proven ourselves a man. Not now. We are still a child.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

RandomPauI posted:

Give him a hug

Voting for hug. And my previous vote for passing message to mom that we wish to spend more time wih her and that we love her, in case the gods decide to take us for more than a month.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Ishamal, who is incredibly chill, basically told us that if he did not know better he might think our dreams meant we were possessed by a demon. (Then gave us the super fruity drink that Tudiya also does not understand). Sushem would definitely be considered possessed. He would be considered to have enslaved both us and our mother, beat us, tried to kill Jaitha at one point, actively practiced cannabilistic and other barbaric traditions and generally not a good guy by Tudiya, I am thinking. That he was preparing us for Priesthood according to his own tradition and treating us as a (somewhat fungible) son would not be taken into account or viewed positively no matter how generous we ourselves were in our description.

I believe's Ishamal's wisdom in this time would be something along the lines of 'spit in death's eye', which he apparently views an eventual requirement of life.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Tudiya has treated us like a son. I don't think we are his son, but maybe we are closely related. Maybe we are the son of a dearly departed friend of Tudiya. I don't want to ask Tudiya about. Just speculating. If we ever do ask Tudiya about our relationship to him or his plans for us, then it should wait for after we return.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Basscop posted:

You are a fish Basscop. Go be a fish.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

Tsyni posted:

That seems unwise.

You really think he doesn't know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Or maybe we could ask him something ambitious, and what a child would say (even though he'd see right right though it) like, Tudiya, do you know who my real dad might be?, I don't think it was actually Shushem.