Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It looks like Carter is basically just not satisfied with Finch and Reese's determination to prioritize protecting people above all else. She wants revenge on HR and she's going to work on getting that by herself. Definitely an interesting direction to take her character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

muscles like this? posted:

Its funny but during that final pull out from Root the various technobabble stuff going on wasn't gibberish, there was actually a thing stating how the likelihood of violence involving the therapist was at 78% and rising.

Only somewhat related, but I always liked that the use of technology in this show at least is somewhat accurate. ("Pairing" with phones, random tecnhnobabble being accurate like FHSS on military radios, etc.) The closest to "a GUI interface in Visual Basic" we've really gotten was Finch talking new electronics with one of the targets last season.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
So the Machine's trying to "reprogram" Root to be good? Interesting.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I really dig the new OP, i wonder if they'll have the root bit be a bit longer from now on, and if they only made it go by that fast to obscure to reveal of her current status in the machine's eyes.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 25, 2013

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Root's probability tree had a red node for, "Global Thermonuclear War."

Drama! Excitement! Tension! :neckbeard:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Accretionist posted:

Root's probability tree had a red node for, "Global Thermonuclear War."

Drama! Excitement! Tension! :neckbeard:

Good GOD I MISSED THAT. WHY DID I MISS THAT.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Speaking of which - Anyone have that tree in HD? Only other laugher I could spot was, "MARRIAGE/PROCREATION 0.04% -- RECLASSICATION: NON-RELEVANT"

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Accretionist posted:

"MARRIAGE/PROCREATION 0.04% -- RECLASSICATION: NON-RELEVANT"

Oh, to see the look on Finch's face when he gets that phone call.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Zaggitz decided it would be a good idea to take a screenshot of the whole tree. Unfortunately, by the time the whole tree was visible, it didn't take up a whole lot of total screen space, so the quality isn't great. The text should be legible, though.

FEdit: MOSTLY legible. The red label on the left says "DEATH: ASSET 12.66%"

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Accretionist posted:

Speaking of which - Anyone have that tree in HD? Only other laugher I could spot was, "MARRIAGE/PROCREATION 0.04% -- RECLASSICATION: NON-RELEVANT"

Only things to the right of Mass Casualty Event were the aforementioned MARRIAGE and NUCLEAR WAR ones, and they were too blurry to be worth taking a screenshot of.

e: Haha, beaten by 2 mins

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
The numbers jump a little but some categories of predictions for Root include:

-Operational Relevance
-Violence
-Death: Asset
-Asset Activation
-Death: Carmichael, Ronald W.
-Death: Admin
-Crisis Averted
-Asset Captured
-Mass Casualty Event (what)
-Aux_Admin
-Marriage/Procreation
-Global Thermonuclear War :stare:

Also like the new design for the "inner" Machine, seems more like a neuron.

edit: goddamn it guys

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

VDay posted:

I'm a little surprised that they opened the season with a more by-the-numbers episode, but it says a lot about this show that so much can change from last season and that they can just re-adjust and keep going without missing a beat.

Looks like Carter is going to have her own thing kind of like Fusco's arc with HR, Root is mesmerizing as always, and Shaw is fantastic in her new role. I can't wait for the inevitable episode where she's stuck with Bear.

Agree, the meat of the episode was a kind of standard situation-of-the-week one, but all the peripheral stuff (Root, Elias, Carter's hidden CSI board, etc) is fascinating. I wasn't sure about Shaw last season, but I'm really liking her as a more murderous female version of Mr. Reese.

"Mesmerizing" is the perfect word for Amy Acker as Root. She's killing it. That last scene was amazing.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, it didn't really feel like a premiere, but it was pretty awesome.

Amy Acker plays Root so, so amazingly. She has "total psycho" down pat.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

:neckbeard:

I'm so happy this show is back and still awesome. It just felt like the show was stretching it's legs before taking off at a sprint.

This episode really epitomized so many of the things this show does well. It had a solid number of the week contained story at center, mythology building and progression on the edges, and wonderful characterization gluing it all together. Fusco and root both make me mark out, and my worries that Shaw would be a thin girl-version-of-Reese was completely unfounded. And we didn't even have to wait to see Elias.

So looking forward to where the season goes. I hope we get more scenes with Elias and Finch in the same room more than anything else.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I would like to point out it is absolutely fascinating that after playing good guy spec ops guy on The Unit for so many years, Max Martini seems to have been typecast as bad guy spec ops guy for a while now.

Also I would like POI to complete the set by getting Snake Doc, Cool Breeze, Hammerhead and Red Cap to guest star (okay maybe Whiplash too if you reeeally want). Oh and Robert Patrick, because why the gently caress not?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Sober posted:

I would like to point out it is absolutely fascinating that after playing good guy spec ops guy on The Unit for so many years, Max Martini seems to have been typecast as bad guy spec ops guy for a while now.

Holy crap THAT'S who that was! Finch & Reese have just completely derailed the Jaeger project and now the world's doomed. Great.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Regy Rusty posted:

It looks like Carter is basically just not satisfied with Finch and Reese's determination to prioritize protecting people above all else. She wants revenge on HR and she's going to work on getting that by herself. Definitely an interesting direction to take her character.

Rewatching how she acted during this episode, and the arc she went through last year, I thinka Carter is basically doing this herself because she's not okay with bending her morals for something this personal.

She was fine going to Fusco and Elias to help John and Finch, but when everyone of them offered to help her out of her personal problem she declined their offers. Looking forward to see how t his all pans out and if she's got some kind of master plan.

edit: hahahaha I just realized. The ep states that Harold admitted root to that mental hospital. The name Harold chose for her? Robin. The bird theme never stops! :allears:

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 25, 2013

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...
Yea POI just carrying on being awesome! Shaw is a great addition and her whole doesn't play well with others is good fun. Shot, through a wall, in the shoulder at night is pretty awesome back up to have.

Carter looks like she should have an interesting story plot this year and I hope Fusco just gets to keep doing awesome stuff like his save Russian models gig this year. Did Carter lose weight? She looks alot nicer this year in her uniform compared to the suit. Liking the HR/Elias secret side plot she has going on.

I guess the machine must kind of think as Root as it crazy protective mum, killing is bad mom!

One of POI main strengths is just the number of sweet bad guys there are. I want some kind of one night bounty on the man in the suit and just watch them all come out to play at once!

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Oh my god this episode was so good. The music was nice as always, while giving us a peak of the new status quo and with Elias's guy getting the loot. It's great to see how competent Elias is without the help of the machine.

The ending with Root was fantastic. What exactly were we seeing from the machine's perspective at the end there? Potential outcomes?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Yeah the middle cluster that all the outcomes branch off of says GENERATING PREDICTIONS.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Um, apparently the people in charge of the show just put the whole premiere up on youtube with audio commentary?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFTApthzlP4

that's pretty loving nuts.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Zaggitz posted:

Um, apparently the people in charge of the show just put the whole premiere up on youtube with audio commentary?

Maybe they can explain why it took Fusco so long just to get started on defusing the bomb :colbert:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Sober posted:

Maybe they can explain why it took Fusco so long just to get started on defusing the bomb :colbert:

He spent the rest of that time going "Ha ha ha...seriously guys, I don't know anything about defusing a bomb" for a few seconds, then he spent a few minutes screaming at the top of his lungs when he realized they actually left him there to defuse a bomb with no training.

*Then* he defused the bomb.

Captain Equinox
Sep 15, 2005

By day a mild-mannered college professor, by night Kiki, go-go dancer at the Pussycat Club. But twice a year, he's... CAPTAIN EQUINOX!

VDay posted:

I'm a little surprised that they opened the season with a more by-the-numbers episode...

Funny. :rimshot:

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
So great that this show is back.

High Points:
  • New intro!
  • Shaw!
  • Fusco in an Amish beard!
  • Root!
  • "In the arm, through a brick wall, in the dark. You're welcome."
  • Elias Episode? Nina Simone!
  • Carter on her own!

Low Points:
  • Not enough Bear. :sigh:

Anyway, I'm seriously psyched about Root's arc.

vvv Fair enough.

Slamhound fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 26, 2013

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Wasn't Bear with Finch when he was talking to Shaw early on?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Slamhound posted:

Low Points:
  • Not enough Bear. :sigh:

Reese has replaced Bear with Shaw: same diet & temperament, better at sniping.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
That's just because finch won't invest in specialized dog operation oriented modifications for the guns.

And the gunshots gotta bother his ears.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

I'm guessing by how it was taken down that someone just ripped it from http://www.cbs.com/shows/person_of_interest/video/GMhmzSTrbSgi6y19Ossw_Np1CYYv35R_/person-of-interest-audio-commentary/

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

SpookyLizard posted:

That's just because finch won't invest in specialized dog operation oriented modifications for the guns.

And the gunshots gotta bother his ears.

Finch prefers to teach Bear how to use netcat. :3: :smugdog: :catstare:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
The idea of the Machine keeping Root locked up until she can be reprogrammed into a useful, good asset is fascinating, and Amy Acker is nailing it.

This show is so loving good.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

ynohtna posted:

Reese has replaced Bear with Shaw: same diet & temperament, better at sniping.
Since when is Shaw ever happy to see Reese and then proceeds to slobber all over him? :colbert:

edit: oh god what did I do

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Freaked me out a little bit to see Trevor from GTA V in the first bar scene. That's actually the guy that does his voice.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Boogaleeboo posted:

He spent the rest of that time going "Ha ha ha...seriously guys, I don't know anything about defusing a bomb" for a few seconds, then he spent a few minutes screaming at the top of his lungs when he realized they actually left him there to defuse a bomb with no training.

*Then* he defused the bomb.

Fusco is pretty boss. You see him in the first scene of the premiere and hes being comic relief, he turns up again and has a very human reaction to being asked to defuse a bomb, and then you watch him remove the ignition switch at great personal risk.

I'm not sure i'd enjoy this show without Fusco, I certainly wouldn't enjoy it as much.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

MrFlibble posted:

Fusco is pretty boss. You see him in the first scene of the premiere and hes being comic relief, he turns up again and has a very human reaction to being asked to defuse a bomb, and then you watch him remove the ignition switch at great personal risk.

I'm not sure i'd enjoy this show without Fusco, I certainly wouldn't enjoy it as much.

I also think of all the characters, Fusco has the best character arc, going from crooked cop to reformed cop trying to take down the corrupt element within the force. Every episode and moment where he has to deal with his past self has been great, and you really feel for the guy just trying to do the right thing for the first time in his life.

I actually thought the Root scenes were boring at first, but I trusted the writers to have a payoff for them in the end and holy hell did they :stare:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
It occurs to me that with the Machine attempting to re-programme Root it's possibly rewriting it's own programming to prevent the cause of incidents, rather than just indicate imminent events to assets. Will we see it evolve into a benevolent global dictator watching over and directing humanity's own evolution? Does it call itself Helios?

Additionally, Root could be transitioning from being the Machine's first cultist into being it's first reborn child. (Bagsy snagging Children of the Machine for a track title.)

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Slamhound posted:

So great that this show is back.

High Points:
  • New intro!
  • Shaw!
  • Fusco in an Amish beard!
  • Root!
  • "In the arm, through a brick wall, in the dark. You're welcome."
  • Elias Episode? Nina Simone!
  • Carter on her own!

Good list but you forgot Knife Steak

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Big Bidness posted:

Freaked me out a little bit to see Trevor from GTA V in the first bar scene. That's actually the guy that does his voice.

I recognized him immediately as well, felt so weird having him in such a tiny cameo after playing like 20 hours as him.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

MrFlibble posted:

I don't care that much for Carter, but Fusco is awesome, and is one of my favourite characters on the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

One thing I keep going back to as brilliant is the performance of the psychologist. His expression as root reads him his dirty laundry list is really well done. Because imagine what that guy is going through right then.

Turns out God is real and this patient is actually really taking to God and God knows my sin and oh gently caress God's prophet wants to kill me for them. AND I'm only the 43rd smartest person in the building. gently caress. Wait, God is an 11 year old girl?

• Locked thread