Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

johntfs posted:

The first four episodes of Grimm in the first season were various degrees of stank on ice, though even they had a few fun moments. The fifth episode, with the ratkin kid that played pied piper violinist was awesome. One of the things I like about Grimm is the relative lack of external pressure on Nick to do what he does, unlike the "You are one of the two Witnesses who have been Destined by Fate to be the Chosen Ones to fulfill the Prophecy" of Sleepy Hollow. Nick does what he does out of a sense of decency and duty, not because "the elder gods will nuke the world if you don't."

Also, I like the way Nick is fairly laid back about this stuff instead of going all "I am the vengeful avenger whose thirst for revenge will drive me to seek vengeance and I will be avenged!" the way I see Abby and/or her sister going. Don't get me wrong. I like Sleepy Hollow so far, but I can see it might wear a little thin after a while.

In terms of pet peeves, the only thing I can name that truly burrs my saddle is the 250 years thing. Unless this show is somehow taking place in the year 2031 or so, they're off by a couple of decades. If you want to talk estimates just say "over 225 years had passed" or "over two and a quarter centuries" something like that. Otherwise I want to start seeing cybernetics, lasers and some goddam flying cars in Sleepy Hollow.

Man, if you'd just read George Washington's Bible, you'd realize that the magic war started well before the official war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Obviously Washington's instigation that sparked the French and Indian War was mystically backed.

Actually, the Anglo-French Rivalry ended in 1763, exactly 250 years ago. This obviously means something.

EDIT: Seriously, if the French and Indian War is a plot point I'm going to be so smug for a day.

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 24, 2013

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Mr. Maltose posted:

Obviously Washington's instigation that sparked the French and Indian War was mystically backed.

Actually, the Anglo-French Rivalry ended in 1763, exactly 250 years ago. This obviously means something.

EDIT: Seriously, if the French and Indian War is a plot point I'm going to be so smug for a day.

It turns out Bacon's Rebellion was a zombie uprising, sorry.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The moral of Sleepy Hollow is that America is full of evil magic bullshit.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

hcreight posted:

Too early to say, but that's definitely good retention for a second episode.
Especially up against the premiere of 2 Broke Girls.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I just realized the cop's sister is Sonya from Nikita.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mr. Maltose posted:

Hold up now, Ghost Witch wife proves that America is full of good magic bullshit too. It's not all malevolent powers hating us because of our Freedom.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Good witches are (British-)Americans, evil witches are foreign terrorists.

I wonder what the plans are for the sister. Ally, or is she gonna be lured to the dark side and be the new devil's helper after zombie-Cho quits his dead-end job?

Lycus fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 25, 2013

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Quote is not Edit.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Mr. Maltose posted:

It's more like Tom Mison's eyes are dreamy. :allears:

...But yeah I see where you're coming from. And obviously Washington was a warlock. Or that's what I'm getting from this show.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Please oh please let George Washington be a secret warlock. I wanna see a TV show where all (or most) of the founding fathers are wielders of various otherworldly powers.

And please oh please let Ben Franklin be an immortal who has survived to the present day. Hell, i'd even settle for John Jay, or an immortal Benedict Arnold antagonist.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I think the most amazing thing was how incredibly packed the pilot was. The "Previously On" segement was like watching the Season 3 premiere for a convoluted series where they were struggling to teach a brand new viewer what happened in the previous 46 hours. And that was one single hour of television.

I liked the show and I like how the two are playing off each other. They're downplaying the fish out of water to exactly the degree I'd prefer so it isn't a chore to do all the gags a dozen movies have done. But just enough to make it fun and get you in Ichabod's headspace. I love that they didn't drag out the "crazy poo poo is happening but only two people are aware of it" although they're reeling that in a little bit. I wonder how they're going to end up writing all of that by the end of the season. Either they go completely rogue with their own ad hoc X Files subdepartment of the Sheriffs office or the Captain just goes Ostrich and says, "you two make the bad people stop, I don't want to know how or why, just make the dead bodies stop showing up".

Sustaining the very shaky "police officer" angle is the only part that seems underbaked and non-fun in all of this.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
There was no betrothing :laugh:

Show owns and I love the leads :allears:

I've been looking for a new TV crush ever since Natalie Zea betrayed and murdered my respect for her :colbert:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I actually saw a preview of this and thought it would be utterly stupid, but you guys convinced me otherwise. This show is just pure fun and it knows it. Going to be watching this for sure now.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 25, 2013

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."
I'm looking forward to this different take on the Four Horseman.

I quite enjoyed Supernatural's take (PARTICULARLY junk-food-loving Death and the criminally underused Matt Frewer as Pestilence), so I wonder how Sleepy Hollow will do it.

I originally got into this show because Tom Mison was in it - I've carried a torch for him since he played Drunk Bingley in LOST IN AUSTEN (which I highly recommend, if only to see how a ridiculously stupid Jane Austen fan royally fucks up Pride and Prejudice when she has the chance to exist in it).

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Gyges posted:

Look, it was either that or live in a world with France in it. George III made his choice.

This comment didn't get enough love. :golfclap:

Another excellent episode. I couldn't watch John Cho pre-neck-fix for more than a second.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Not to mention that George III was rather loco, so they can just tie that in with his alliance with the forces of Armageddon.

ImpulseDrive
Jul 25, 2008

Gonz posted:

Please oh please let George Washington be a secret warlock. I wanna see a TV show where all (or most) of the founding fathers are wielders of various otherworldly powers.

And please oh please let Ben Franklin be an immortal who has survived to the present day. Hell, i'd even settle for John Jay, or an immortal Benedict Arnold antagonist.

Now I want to see John Noble cast as a magic wielding Ben Franklin instead of the character he's been announced to play. Maybe his character is the cover and he's a secret Founding Father? That would be something to hope for.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Ben Franklin's magic would mostly consist of lightning spells, correct?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Can someone make me an avatar gif of Ichabod looking back down at the donut holes with his "these are amazing" look on his face? :D

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Lycus posted:

And charm spells, don't forget the charm spells.

Also I agree with the people earlier in the thread that we need more wizard priests. There needs to be more arse-kicking for the Lord.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Lycus posted:

Ben Franklin summons turkeys to fight his battles for him.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

John Noble (as Ben Franklin) smoking fools with magic powers and helping to stop the end times would somehow, somehow, be more incredible than his role as Walter Bishop.

Which is to say a lot, because Walter Bishop is easily in my list of top 5 television characters ever.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Would rather see Tesla, honestly.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

Gonz posted:

John Noble (as Ben Franklin) smoking fools with magic powers and helping to stop the end times would somehow, somehow, be more incredible than his role as Walter Bishop.

Which is to say a lot, because Walter Bishop is easily in my list of top 5 television characters ever.

I would sell my firstborn to watch a sitcom where Walter Bishop and Ichabod share an apartment in San Francisco and solve crimes.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Coconut Indian posted:

Has Clancy Brown ever been in a horror movie (or show) that he didn't die in? I'm including Carnivale. He died in that too right?
John Dies at the End - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1783732/

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

And obviously Washington was a warlock. Or that's what I'm getting from this show.

Well of course he was, dude was 12 stories high and made of radiation.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

404GoonNotFound posted:

Well of course he was, dude was 12 stories high and made of radiation.

He saved children (but not the British children).

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
He also had so many dicks. Like 30 goddamn dicks. He also definitely invented cocaine.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 25, 2013

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

He also definitely invented cocaine.

I heard that motherfucker had...like....30 goddamn dicks.

Also, once, he held an opponent's wife's hand in a jar of acid. At a party.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Or this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Washingtonians

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

violetdragon posted:

Are there any good Satan gifs, from either episode? Maybe that scene where he's sneaking up on Cho in the jail cell? (Please forgive me, if this exists already).

This is what I have right now, Satan-wise:

I think that's all the best shots we have of satan so far, but I've only watched the second ep once.

Wahad, I'll make some ZombieCho gifs soon, but it might need to wait til the weekend. :)

And I'll still attempt to make any avatars anyone wants, stills or gifs.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Finally catching this. Just got to the initial credits and super happy already. I love how balls to the wall crazy this is.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Annakie posted:

This is what I have right now, Satan-wise:

I think that's all the best shots we have of satan so far, but I've only watched the second ep once.

Yay, thanks! :neckbeard: I think these two are my favourite. If I throw these up on tumblr, is there anything I should do in the way of crediting you for making them or anything?

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Crediting annakie.tumblr.com would be great, thanks. Just a link like (x) is fine. :)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Oh man oh man, I really hope the real reason behind the Burr-Hamilton duel was that they were in each other's rival coven.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

mr.capps posted:

Oh man oh man, I really hope the real reason behind the Burr-Hamilton duel was that they were in each other's rival coven.

If that happens I will proclaim this the greatest television show of all time.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

I think the replacement priest that's bound to show up is definitely going to serve as the Giles / Knowledge Dude of the show, they can't just keep relying on his spirit wife to tell him cryptic clues for everything.

The first one dying was most likely just a plot point to get him out of the way so the two of them would have to solve things on their own and see how hard it was.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Well I think it's pretty obvious, given that she's a main character, that they're gonna rescue his wife from Limbo or wherever the hell she's tapped in before the end of the season. And between her, Abby, Ichabod, Sarah Conner, John Noble, Ghost Clancy Brown and Officer Ex-Fiancée, it looks like they're setting up a pretty nice little Scooby Gang 2.0, if things come together the right way.

Or it'll end up cancelled by November, because, well, FOX.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Sep 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sandworms
Sep 22, 2010

Please make Cho the demon henchman every week

• Locked thread