Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caluki
Nov 12, 2000

MOAR posted:

Thanks guys, know them both and both excellent pubs. If you walked out of the Old Red Cow and kept walking in a straight line you would end up at the Fox.

It's a bit further away, but i'm a big fan of The Peasant: http://www.thepeasant.co.uk/ Great fish & chips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Death! Put your jacket on or you'll get frostbite!

caluki posted:

It's a bit further away, but i'm a big fan of The Peasant: http://www.thepeasant.co.uk/ Great fish & chips.

Thanks, looks good, might give this one a try!

powertoiletduck
Feb 19, 2004

dance dance dance
Peasant is a great pub as well - drink there infrequently but haven't eaten there in a few years ( we usually walk a bit further to Exmouth Market).

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

It's Burger Day or something today, isn't it?

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Sounds gimmicky as hell to me.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Isn't every day Burger Day?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Moving to Uxbridge to study at Brunel, any good places there? Have a friend visiting, I think pub food, pizza or Mexican. Also good take aways, will probably want Chinese before I get shopping in.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

BizarroAzrael posted:

Moving to Uxbridge to study at Brunel, any good places there? Have a friend visiting, I think pub food, pizza or Mexican. Also good take aways, will probably want Chinese before I get shopping in.

You'll be near me! Mexican? You're hopeful.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

BizarroAzrael posted:

Moving to Uxbridge to study at Brunel, any good places there?
Not really.

Yes it is that simple.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

BizarroAzrael posted:

sweek0 pretty much has it right. I know it's not really what you asked for, but here's what I know around that area:

Northwood Hills - BM Lebanese.
East Finchley - Good Thai food, beer, and football.
Northwood - Maharaja.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

The_Doctor posted:

You'll be near me!

Are you ever even home? You always seem to be flying around buying robots.

angor posted:

Northwood - Maharaja.

I read that as "marijuana". My Nan lives in Northwood.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Online petitions are terrible I know, but anyone that works in the city might want to sign this one against the unilateral closure of the Kerb street food market at The Gherkin.

Closing down a fairly posh street food market apparently for "aesthetic" reasons is mental.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Absolutely loving disgraceful if reports are true.

http://www.kerbfood.com/gherkin/

Supported by the Gherkin mgmt not to mention the thousands of people who went there for lunch, and closed by the corporate council of the square mile. Cunts.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

Used to work in Uxbridge. Can't recall of anywhere brilliant. Baroosh has an alright selection of beers and OK pub food. And there's a newish burger place near the Chimes that they claim is influenced by 'Man VS. Food', and they do all sorts of challenges... http://www.redironburgers.co.uk/menu.php My colleagues said it was good.

So I'm afraid it's not excellent. But then again, you can jump on the Metropolitan line and head into central. :)

F E Smith
Aug 15, 2006
And all this because of a newcomer who has just bought a house there next to the cricket ground.

powertoiletduck posted:

Best pub in that area is the Fox and Anchor (http://www.foxandanchor.com) by a considerable margin - does a mean fish and chips as well.

F&A is bloody excellent. Love that place!

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Way too excited for the best Ethiopian food tonight. :3:

Gojo, Ladbroke Grove, if you ask.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
Anyone got any good Brazilian food recommendations?

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Neris posted:

Anyone got any good Brazilian food recommendations?

I asked my Brazilian friend and, assuming we're discounting rodizio bufffet restaurants (althought why would you?), he recommends Barraco in Kilburn.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Yeah, I heard that place was decent. Thanks :)

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Kaiho posted:

Way too excited for the best Ethiopian food tonight. :3:

Gojo, Ladbroke Grove, if you ask.

gently caress. Yes. I love this place. Buy wine from the shop above!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
This was just sent to me. As if you needed another reason to eat at Bocca di Lupo :D

I used to work for Jacob, this doesn't surprise me at all. He's an awesome dude who is ridiculously passionate about food.

EDIT: Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8apw9TamTI

angor fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Sep 10, 2013

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Thats so awesome. :3:

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Where are the best places for sweet things? Ice cream, gelato, desserts etc?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

reality_groove posted:

Where are the best places for sweet things? Ice cream, gelato, desserts etc?

Yauatcha has some amazing French/Chinese pastries for tea.
Gelupo for ice cream. Odono's is also superb.
L'Eto on Wardour St is v good for cakes etc but ridiculously priced.
Princi is good too, and between them is Hummingbird Bakery.
Gail's does some good pastries. Their cinnamon buns are orgasmic.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Best Vietnamese places in London? I've got a hankering for some pho.

North of the river would be better.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Can't answer with much authority but I'm a fan of Viet on Greek St because it's central, good, and loving cheap. And BYOB!

BTW, I went to the Coal Vaults last night. Everything on the menu under a tenner, loving crazy cocktails (parsley, yoghurt, gin, honey.. in one, my friend had it, and I had homemade chrysanthemum-infused vodka with dried kumquat bitters, never had anything like it).

They've only been open 3 weeks so their food is ambitious but a little under seasoned for my taste (the lamb had a lot of promise and amazing texture but loving no flavour compared to the rabbit which was INSANELY good btw.) All seasonal. Worth checking out!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
A chum is coming over from the US and asked me this:

quote:

I've offered to help out with arrangements for the Bachelor evening. Do you know of any good hotel lounges/bars in London for about 12 fellas to catch up and chill out? Just spoke to the groom, and he'd like it to be a place where we can all talk (without shouting), as well as maybe order food service.

I've gone blank. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

therattle posted:

A chum is coming over from the US and asked me this:

I've gone blank. Any suggestions? Thanks!

If it's for a stag do and they want a swanky hotel they could try the renaissance hotel in st pancras. Bar is pretty cool, the beer comes in pewter tankards and the food is decent but it is loving expensive. £7 a pint expensive.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

If it's for a stag do and they want a swanky hotel they could try the renaissance hotel in st pancras. Bar is pretty cool, the beer comes in pewter tankards and the food is decent but it is loving expensive. £7 a pint expensive.

Thank you!

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

We're looking for a new watering hole around London to go to this weekend? What's a good shout? Emphasis on lots of decent beers...

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Raffles posted:

Best Vietnamese places in London? I've got a hankering for some pho.

North of the river would be better.

Song Que in shoreditch, hands down.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I have a vegan American visiting and while he's quite capable of finding things to eat on most menus, I thought I'd take him out somewhere he has free reign. Any ideas? Mildred's is the obvious choice, but anywhere else would be appreciated. This is a world unknown to me as I'm too much of a carnivore.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

I've heard good things about veggie Soho pub The Coach and Horse - tofish and chips, etc!

You may get recommended Saf's, but Saf's used to be quite good until they closed down their restaurant and now have a fairly unatmospheric area in the food hall of Whole Foods in High Street Ken. The food was certainly good for vegan - I had a vegan friend visit who was loving the variety on offer (though she does live in Oslo) so maybe worth considering, depending on how keen you are to show him a varied menu!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The_Doctor posted:

I have a vegan American visiting and while he's quite capable of finding things to eat on most menus, I thought I'd take him out somewhere he has free reign. Any ideas? Mildred's is the obvious choice, but anywhere else would be appreciated. This is a world unknown to me as I'm too much of a carnivore.

Asian food is often vegan. Cay Tre and Koya in Soho, for instance, have dishes that I'm sure are vegan, albeit unintentionally. Indian food too; think of dal, chana masala, biryanis, naan, etc.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Neris posted:

I've heard good things about veggie Soho pub The Coach and Horse - tofish and chips, etc!

There are two Coach and Horses in Soho - is this the one on Greek St or the one up near Oxford Circus?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Convexed posted:

We're looking for a new watering hole around London to go to this weekend? What's a good shout? Emphasis on lots of decent beers...

Been to any of the Craft Beer Company pubs?

The Old Red Cow has lovely beers and a good area upstairs (the downstairs is tiny).

Euston Tap's selection is unparalleled but I was there last Saturday morning and it's fairly smelly again.

The Cock Tavern is in Hackney and has, what, 10 keg taps and 8 cask taps, all fairly carefully selected or brewed on site.

edit: Also BrewDog.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The couple of times I've been in Brewdog I could barely hear myself think, let alone carry on a conversation.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The_Doctor posted:

The couple of times I've been in Brewdog I could barely hear myself think, let alone carry on a conversation.

Is that any different from how you normally are?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Convexed posted:

If you don't mind the trek out East, the William IV in Leyton is cheap and has many a decent (and lethal) beer. The Black Heart in Camden also has an impressive selection but is further toward BrewDog's level of noise. I've heard many a good thing about the Southampton Arms in Kentish Town but when I tried to go it was absolutely heaving so I couldn't speak for it personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Southampton Arms is ace but it's very narrow mostly, and the beer garden for overspill shuts at 10 to let the neighbors sleep.
Owned by the same guy who owns the Cock Tavern so similar vibe.