Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

rex monday posted:

You really think he doesn't know?

I think it's reasonable to believe he knows, but then why mention it at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I think Tudiya is more than smart enough to know that mom will tell us if and when she's good and ready to tell us. He's not going to undermine her wishes on this.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Am I the only one who thinks the king really copped out on that offering? He came back with nothing. Kinda lame.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Am I the only one who thinks the king really copped out on that offering? He came back with nothing. Kinda lame.

I said the same thing in the IRC tudiya is a punk

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Tudiya is the biggest loving fantasy nerd cliche

Diogines posted:

You tell Ishamal. You tell him of all of the visions you believe you have had, but not of the strange structure in the forest. Ishamal listens to your story, mostly quietly, he asks a few brief questions but otherwise does not interrupt. When you finish, he takes another sip from his cup and says to you "I would be tempted, in other circumstances to say you were surely making this up, or possessed of a demon" he lets out a large sigh.

Diogines posted:

You have to think about it for a moment and are uncertain but then say, "I want to be a great explorer, like Zepa" you tell your mother "I wish to see the world and climb the mountains Ishamal spoke of and sail the seas, to see all the wonders he spoke of!"

Your mother sighs "Here, we are safe Sweetling and well cared for. Those stories you have heard are not just tales and there are places far worse and more dangerous than Athar out there... and what of Danal... and of me?"

You bow your head and ask. "Great King... am... am I a slave, or am I free?"

Tudiya frowns deeply. He lifts a goblet and a pitcher from a table beside him, fills the goblet with water and takes a long drink, as if to leave you thinking on your question, he then places the goblet down.

"Perhaps" he says, frowning deeper "and if you are, what of it? Have I mistreated you Child? Have I been unkind to you? Have I not fed you from my own table, sheltered you in my own home, clothed you and given you all that you own, even the friendship of my son?"

He takes another long drink from the goblet, overly long, leaving you to think. He places the goblet down again and continues.

"Are you a slave? You wound me gravely to ask such a thing Child. There have been no beatings here as Shushem would give you-" you never told him about that and your mother, who was adamant Tudiya never find out Shushem was your "father", never would have told him "placed you into the arms of your true mother-" you most certainly did not tell him about THAT "nor have you been sent to work the fields or bake bricks, how can you ask me such a thing? Have you been mistreated in any way?"

Tudiya's tone hints he is mostly hurt you would ask him such a question, rather than angry. Perhaps he thinks you feel mistreated and is offended on that account? His words seem to hint so. You have lived with him and been the constant companion to his son for two years and even without Danal spent many hours watching him do "King Stuff" which you decided you found interesting.

I feel that people are missing important stuff because of the length of this CYOA. So I just bolded the important stuff that's pretty relevant to this discussion and also sandal chat.

Lanky Coconut Tree fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Sep 25, 2013

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Tudiya is the biggest loving fantasy nerd cliche

Yes? And? We're in a nerd fantasy.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
So are we Danal's half brother or something? That would mean mom has the blood of Labaras like Bareen. Do we bear any resemblance to Danal at all? Some feature of mom that shows up in both of us?

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

my dad posted:

Yes? And? We're in a nerd fantasy.

And it's funny. The big bad king, guy who likes ripping legs off things and beating them up with their own leg, did a major copout for his sacrifice.

Imperialist Dog posted:

So are we Danal's half brother or something? That would mean mom has the blood of Labaras like Bareen. Do we bear any resemblance to Danal at all? Some feature of mom that shows up in both of us?

No, we don't know anything about this yet. But what we should do in the future, is spend more time with our mother. Not only because she would love it and we should make her happy, but because we can find out more story about our past.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Your skin is much darker than that of anyone else in Zepath, but lighter than anyone in Athar. Your hair is a different color. Your mother told you she was from Baitel, far to the northeast, not Zepath.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Is Ishamal's skin light?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Every individual in Zepath, except for you, appears to be from the same ethnic group, including Ishamal and your mother.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Is Ishamal from Baitel?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I really don't get where all the Tudiya hate is coming from.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Dude killed our father and enslaved us. Why would we like him?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Is Ishamal from Baitel?
Other people have said he is from Baitel. He is generally believed to be within a few generations of Labaras, older than Zepath and a Hero who eventually retired to your city.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

paragon1 posted:

I really don't get where all the Tudiya hate is coming from.

A Rich White Man and I are joking about how his offering is a cop-out and we should one-up him if possible

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!

A Rich White Man and I are joking about how his offering is a cop-out and we should one-up him if possible

Place our other head on the altar and pledge that El may service it as long as we breathe.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
"El, I vow my children to your service, now if your Elness can excuse me I have to go find some women of easy virtue and make good on a promise"

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Almost zero chance Sushem is our dad seems to me. How would that work?

Jalitha washes up on shore. Sushem perhaps saves her from a storm and enslaves her. Fruits of Asherah and all.

He then impregnates her? She is pregnant with us for 9 months or some such. No one in the village notices that she is pregnant and all assume that we are Nami's son?

Seems unlikely.

Must be more like: Nami is already pregnant. Jalitha washes up on a 'dark and stormy night' already in labor, lightning crashing, etc. Nami is also in labor at the time. Something goes wrong. Nami loses her child. (Sushem revealed in a flash of lightning throwing a small corpse into the sea.) But lo, Asherah has provided and here is Jalitha delivering us. Amidst storms deciet, enslavement and treachery Og is brought forth into the world. Boom, we become the child of Sushem and Nami, an enslavement ad deciet in its own right.

Sushem was a harsh and pious man unwaveringly devoted to his insatiably hungering, merciless deity and the survival of his people, should his god allow it. We were simply necessary to him to serve his god. He would have killed Jalitha when she first cut our hair if Jorah had not interevened. If we had died along the way he would simply replace us. If we had failed to be priestly material it is entirely unclear how he would have responded. He rarely, if ever showed us any affection and beat us regularly... For our own good and the service of Asherah and whatnot.

My question for Mom is 'how the hell did you get from Baitel to Athar alone and pregnant'? This means either larger boats than we have ever seen or some sort of intervention. If boats, why was she on a ship that far away from anything? Zepath is the most remote city. It is three months walk further to Athar. If she was not alone, but brought to Athar by men, what happened to them? And most importantly why did she flee Baitel while pregnant? That is not something you do on a lark or of your own free choice. Most likely it means we are a bastard of some sort and would be killed once born. What does that imply about Jalitha or our unknown father? This means that there is somebody out there now who if they knew we were alive would immediately try to kill us for some reason. This means not knowing is a danger to both her and us and also why it is fine with her for us to be a slave in Zepath.

This is is how it seems to me.

Meanwhile, the minds of most men (and presumably women) are open to Kings and Tudiya has other plans for us. Does he know who Jalitha is or the story of how she ended up in Athar? He must have thought about it and likely knows. If he does not, why isn't Jalitha's mind clear to him?

I don't know how much of this we might have thought through, but we have been training our brain as well as our body for some time, including listening to many, many stories, counsel given to others, math, law and language to name a few. We are curious and stubborn and often work at a thing until we work it out or make some progress. And this is something that might really be important to us, so we might think about it a great deal off and on, gnawing at it to work it out. We have probably at least speculated down some of these roads without knowing anything in particular.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!

We have darker skin than everyone in zepath.

We have lighter skin than anyone in athar.

We are very likely a mix of Baitel and Athar ethnic groups.

Someone rescued mommy and then got her preggo. This is the most likely explanation.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Basscop posted:

We have darker skin than everyone in zepath.

We have lighter skin than anyone in athar.

We are very likely a mix of Baitel and Athar ethnic groups.

Someone rescued mommy and then got her preggo. This is the most likely explanation.

She ran away from Baitel because she was preggo, presumably because it was a big scandal. Being seduced by person of another race might be a big deal.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

She ran away from Baitel because she was preggo, presumably because it was a big scandal. Being seduced by person of another race might be a big deal.

Race? :crossarms:

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Don't start.

Edit: Ask Tudiya to tell us of the geography around Zepath. Who are our neighbors? Are there nomads? Give us their story of each of the neighbors

Lanky Coconut Tree fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 25, 2013

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Most cultures seem to consider other cultures demon worshipping cannibal heretics. There is some exception with respect to Baitel and some nomads. That would be enough in itself though to create threat associated with certain parentage. Baitel is also the Holy City for El/Labarians and might be highly political as well. I do not believe we have met any of the nomads as of yet.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
I guess we just have to spend some more time with our mom if we want to find out, our dad must be some kind of big shot though seeing how large we are.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Didn't jalitha say she fell into a river and washed up in a beach near athar? I'm suspecting this is what actually happened, and the reason she isn't dead is due to some form of divine intervention. This may also related to why we sometimes hear voices and don't appear to be a normal boy.

In any case, once we get back, we really need to start spending more time with her.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Rahul posted:

Didn't jalitha say she fell into a river and washed up in a beach near athar?

So she fell into a River near Baitel, which is weeks (or months?) away from Zepath. Zepath is also a few weeks from from the ocean. I can't imagine she survived for weeks or months as flotsam. Even if the river flows quickly, a months long journey by foot is still going to take weeks by river.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
Regarding the sandal discussion, we should just have it as our own offering to El.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

So she fell into a River near Baitel, which is weeks (or months?) away from Zepath. Zepath is also a few weeks from from the ocean. I can't imagine she survived for weeks or months as flotsam. Even if the river flows quickly, a months long journey by foot is still going to take weeks by river.

I've got one word for you, just one word: El.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Carving out praise of El on a big rear end rock and hauling it back to the city is a good plan and we should stick to it for now.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Tomn posted:

I've got one word for you, just one word: El.

Nah, Asherah. She prefers her delicacies well cooked in the fires of domestic violence, slavery, and religious intolerance. Bonus points when the morsels are forcefed minotaur hearts and genitals.

vvv Sea-weed cakes with liver on top. The liver is flash-seared to give it that outer crunchy taste while keeping the inside moist and tasty. Sprinkle on some grated heart mixed with pepper, coca leaves and onions. Og's favorite!

Slaan fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 25, 2013

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

If we'd stayed in Athar we'd be spearfighting the other kids(you know, those ones that excluded and probably made fun of us 24/7) on a floating canoe to the death for our manhood ritual- Way cooler than walking around being bipolar about whether shoes that let us walk good give us an unfair advantage in a literal monster infested wilderness. And probably closer to an actual nerd fantasy too :v:

Although I suppose we would have ended up arguing about how Og wants his first human steak prepared.

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 25, 2013

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.

maxhush posted:

Although I suppose we would have ended up arguing about how Og wants his first human steak prepared.

medium rare, obviously.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

maxhush posted:

If we'd stayed in Athar we'd be spearfighting the other kids(you know, those ones that excluded and probably made fun of us 24/7) on a floating canoe to the death for our manhood ritual- Way cooler than walking around being bipolar about whether shoes that let us walk good give us an unfair advantage in a literal monster infested wilderness. And probably closer to an actual nerd fantasy too :v:

I was honestly surprised there weren't at least a few more votes for the axe, a chance to return to our original destiny as a crazed axe-wielding fish-god viking raider-pirate, plundering the world atop our fire-breathing, lazer-shooting land-sea-lightning-shark mount.

I hoped it was because of the obvious superiority of the staff, but whatever.

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
I've got an itch to read similar things to this, do you know where I could find more CYOA that are written based on the choices?

This is awesome by the way, I'm really enjoying it.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Theglavwen posted:

I was honestly surprised there weren't at least a few more votes for the axe, a chance to return to our original destiny as a crazed axe-wielding fish-god viking raider-pirate, plundering the world atop our fire-breathing, lazer-shooting land-sea-lightning-shark mount.

I hoped it was because of the obvious superiority of the staff, but whatever.

Let me repeat the point I made earlier in the thread: The only kind of pirate we'll get to be is the pirate who invents a bronze age printing press.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Lazaruise posted:

I've got an itch to read similar things to this, do you know where I could find more CYOA that are written based on the choices?

This is awesome by the way, I'm really enjoying it.

If you've not read it, you should enjoy Land between the Rivers, also by Diogines.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529830

There's also the Viking CYOA which is a personal favorite, as well as OhYo's abduction simulator (where is my cat OhYo).

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3560142&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552885

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

There's Stellar Missionary too, which started about the same time as this and is ongoing, but Panda seems to have disappeared. :smith:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553574

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

maxhush posted:

Yeah, hitting some tent dwelling savage with a pointy stick is way cooler than training to be King Superman's recon sniper.

Look at our attributes, we've got awesome eyesight and hearing, well on our way to mastering the best long range weapon of our era, we're about to learn wilderness survival (and camouflage if we don't want to be eaten by monsters) we even have our awesome dog to spot for us.

So snail collecting cannibal vs Iron age sniper with world's smartest dog and future king best bud. Yeah, I regret leaving too.