Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

eddiewalker posted:

"Low impedance" isn't a positive or a negative attribute and take headphone nut sites with a grain of salt.

Not true. I'm having a pain in the rear end time trying to find a portable amp for my IEMs which are all low impedance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

What kind of current do they all draw?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I have no idea, but using a portable amp with 10 ohms output isn't helping. I prefer my iPod Classic stock most times it seems.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Midorka posted:

I have no idea, but using a portable amp with 10 ohms output isn't helping. I prefer my iPod Classic stock most times it seems.

The ALO Rx Mk3-B+ claims <1 ohm output impedance, and seems to get great reviews.

http://www.aloaudio.com/rx-mk3

Even someone as dedicated as you might think twice about dropping 650 bones on a portable amp, though.

Edit: They also sell $200 headphone cables and $150 external power supplies, so my first impression is that their specs are probably bullshit. Still, I'd definitely love to see you give them a review.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 23, 2013

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Midorka posted:

Not true. I'm having a pain in the rear end time trying to find a portable amp for my IEMs which are all low impedance.

Try a JDSLabs C241 yet?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Ultimate Mango posted:

Try a JDSLabs C241 yet?

Yeah I've been using it and it sounds excellent with my higher OHM headphones, but I do not like it very much with my Tsar 350 or the TDK BA200 I'm using. It takes away the dynamics of them. How are you liking the ODAC though?

KillHour posted:

The ALO Rx Mk3-B+ claims <1 ohm output impedance, and seems to get great reviews.

http://www.aloaudio.com/rx-mk3

Even someone as dedicated as you might think twice about dropping 650 bones on a portable amp, though.

Edit: They also sell $200 headphone cables and $150 external power supplies, so my first impression is that their specs are probably bullshit. Still, I'd definitely love to see you give them a review.

Thanks for the link, $650 is way out of my range, but we'll see. I'll check into it. I find it very odd, though, that there are so few low output impedance portable amplifiers, especially given that you want damping factor of 8 and IEMs are almost all under 32ohms.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Midorka posted:

Thanks for the link, $650 is way out of my range, but we'll see. I'll check into it. I find it very odd, though, that there are so few low output impedance portable amplifiers, especially given that you want damping factor of 8 and IEMs are almost all under 32ohms.

Perhaps because the vast, vast majority of IEMs under 32 ohms are designed to be used straight out of a portable source, and not with an amp?

Just throwing that out there.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

grack posted:

Perhaps because the vast, vast majority of IEMs under 32 ohms are designed to be used straight out of a portable source, and not with an amp?

Just throwing that out there.

That would make sense if portable devices could properly power multiple driver IEMs. I find that my iPod Classic is severely lacking with many dual driver IEMs, let alone more than that.

Edit: @Ultimate Mango, I'm still waiting on the Asgard 2 myself. I'll shoot Jason a message now.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 23, 2013

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I like the ODAC with speakers, still looking for an amp like the Asgard 2 to drive IEMs on my desktop.

In other news, I spent a week with custom IEMs, ten drivers each side. Totally amazing, but had a fit issue so I sent them back for refit. Will also likely tweak the design to get something more incredible so they look as amazing as they sound.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

I like the ODAC with speakers, still looking for an amp like the Asgard 2 to drive IEMs on my desktop.

In other news, I spent a week with custom IEMs, ten drivers each side. Totally amazing, but had a fit issue so I sent them back for refit. Will also likely tweak the design to get something more incredible so they look as amazing as they sound.

I think you should see a support group for this.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
So, I have a bit of a special request. I would like to find an IEM, a *single* IEM that is profoundly good at blocking outside noise. My right ear canal is non-functioning and it seems silly to buy two monitors when I'm only gonna be using one. Given that there seems to be quite a few semi-custom IEM shops out there, surely one can accomodate me on this front?

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are

kuffs posted:

So, I have a bit of a special request. I would like to find an IEM, a *single* IEM that is profoundly good at blocking outside noise. My right ear canal is non-functioning and it seems silly to buy two monitors when I'm only gonna be using one. Given that there seems to be quite a few semi-custom IEM shops out there, surely one can accomodate me on this front?

Call Westone, they dabble a bit in hearing aids, military-grade headsets, and custom IEMs so I'd bet they can figure something out.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Ultimate Mango posted:

42 drivers a side. Earpieces so big you actually have to wear a headband on a CIEM. DO IT

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Sold my Ad2000 for money for a new computer. I feel like I sold a dog or something.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Gentlemen, I need a little help grabbing some new headphones

Budget - $50? (I can squeeze a bit more out if necessary)
Source - PC for music during work, 3DS and phone during trips\waiting
Isolation Requirements - None
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM
Preferred Tonal Balance - none
Past Headphones - I'm using the current model of Apple headphones right now and they're fine but recently broken. I have a pair of IEMs that came with my Galaxy S4 but would prefer better quality stuff. The IEMs I tried were a bit noisy as I wasn't using both ears but that's not that much of an issue
Preferred Music - Metal\Pop\Electronic

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Irritated Goat posted:

Gentlemen, I need a little help grabbing some new headphones

Budget - $50? (I can squeeze a bit more out if necessary)
Source - PC for music during work, 3DS and phone during trips\waiting
Isolation Requirements - None
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM
Preferred Tonal Balance - none
Past Headphones - I'm using the current model of Apple headphones right now and they're fine but recently broken. I have a pair of IEMs that came with my Galaxy S4 but would prefer better quality stuff. The IEMs I tried were a bit noisy as I wasn't using both ears but that's not that much of an issue
Preferred Music - Metal\Pop\Electronic

If you're ok with going with something other than IEMs, then maybe a set of Koss PortaPros? That's assuming that your isolation requirements are really "none."

grack
Jan 10, 2012

This really doesn't answer your question, but the headphones that come with the S4 are supposed to be dual dynamic driver IEMs (two drivers in each earpiece). Just thought it was interesting.

Anyways, given that you're using it on your phone, do you need mic/controls as well?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

grack posted:

The UE200 is a piece of utter crap, really harsh and not constructed very well. The MeElec M6 or M9 are better 'phones and it's not particularly close.
Fair enough. Is the M6 or M9 my best option under $25 for earphones to listen to Spotify/Pandora/Youtube at work? The Philips SHE3590 and Monoprice 8320 also seem to be popular.

Alternatively, there's a couple sellers on Amazon selling the Sony MH1 for $20, which might seem like it's a fake, but it's Fulfilled by Amazon so I should have recourse/just return it.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Sep 25, 2013

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I really like the M6 because they are proven to hold up to abuse and sound decent for the price. There are other options that sound good, but the Monoprice isn't one of them. The Monoprice may actually sound good, but they fit like absolute poo poo in my ears so I gave them for free as an extra in a sale. I couldn't be bothered with them after trying every tip I owned in them.

Speaking of tips, I find it odd that I am using a large and a medium single flanged for my Heir Tsar 350, but small double flanged for my TDK BA200. It's odd how the shape of some IEMs necessitate different tips.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

Fair enough. Is the M6 or M9 my best option under $25 for earphones to listen to Spotify/Pandora/Youtube at work? The Philips SHE3590 and Monoprice 8320 also seem to be popular.

Alternatively, there's a couple sellers on Amazon selling the Sony MH1 for $20, which might seem like it's a fake, but it's Fulfilled by Amazon so I should have recourse/just return it.

The Philips sound better than either MeElec (not by a huge margin, mind you) but aren't built nearly as well, and lack the accessory/fit kits of the M6 or M9. All three are quite good headsets for the price, though.

The MH1 sounds incredible, but it is such pain in the rear end to use because of the awful cabling that it's very difficult to recommend without reservations. I don't think there are fakes of the MH1 floating around, as even sets bought from Chinese dropshipping websites have turned out to be authentic.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

grack posted:

The Philips sound better than either MeElec (not by a huge margin, mind you) but aren't built nearly as well, and lack the accessory/fit kits of the M6 or M9. All three are quite good headsets for the price, though.

The MH1 sounds incredible, but it is such pain in the rear end to use because of the awful cabling that it's very difficult to recommend without reservations. I don't think there are fakes of the MH1 floating around, as even sets bought from Chinese dropshipping websites have turned out to be authentic.
I'd only be using these at a desk, so it should be easier to tolerate the MH1's cabling. Ordered! Amazon says it'll get here tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to a trip report.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Just a head's up, depending on what you're plugging the headphones in to you might need an OMTP-CTIA adapter, something like this: http://www.lunashops.co.uk/goods.php?id=1073

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

grack posted:

Just a head's up, depending on what you're plugging the headphones in to you might need an OMTP-CTIA adapter, something like this: http://www.lunashops.co.uk/goods.php?id=1073
Assuming they ship me the OMTP model, that should still work in a normal headphone jack, right?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

If you're ok with going with something other than IEMs, then maybe a set of Koss PortaPros? That's assuming that your isolation requirements are really "none."

Generally, I'm ok with outside noise when I'm doing the things I'd use these for. I'll look at the Koss PortaPros.

grack posted:

This really doesn't answer your question, but the headphones that come with the S4 are supposed to be dual dynamic driver IEMs (two drivers in each earpiece). Just thought it was interesting.

Anyways, given that you're using it on your phone, do you need mic/controls as well?

They are? I'll give those a shot too. I don't need mic\controls. They'd be just for music while I'm on layover or waiting on a movie to start kind of thing. I don't mind removing 1 to do anything necessary on the phone.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

Assuming they ship me the OMTP model, that should still work in a normal headphone jack, right?

Depends on the plug. My computer and my old Sony MP3 player both handled OMTP headphones fine while a newer Samsung player didn't.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Irritated Goat posted:

Generally, I'm ok with outside noise when I'm doing the things I'd use these for. I'll look at the Koss PortaPros.

The reason I bring 'em up is because they're arguably one of the best-sounding sets of headphones available for under $50. The lifetime no-questions-asked warranty's fantastic too, which is great because they're just a smidge on the fragile side. And as I said before, isolation is not really something they do- but God, do they sound a lot more expensive than they cost.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 26, 2013

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Midorka posted:

Sold my Ad2000 for money for a new computer. I feel like I sold a dog or something.

Just kidding, I think the guy backed out. Maybe it's for the best.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Midorka posted:

Just kidding, I think the guy backed out. Maybe it's for the best.

I sold a magnificent (no other word for it!) photographic lens a couple of years ago so I could buy something else - headphones, actually - and while I still have those cans and use them all the time I always regretted selling that lens.

So, yeah, in my experience I'd say it's probably for the best.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
So I'm looking for some good headphones to use with my Macbook Air. Maybe you guys can help?

Budget - $100-ish
Source - Macbook Air, probably my iPhone too occasionally. But it's mostly for the laptop.
Isolation Requirements - none
Preferred Type of Headphone - over-ear or earbuds (no preference really, just nothing too huge)
Preferred Tonal Balance - balanced
Past Headphones - I've only ever had really cheap headphones (like literally $10 earbuds) so...
Preferred Music - pop/electronic

e: I'm a fairly small woman and I like girly things so I would prefer something that doesn't look like it's going to turn into a giant robot and fight crime. I would also prefer one that isn't black, if at all possible. White would be really nice.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I'd only be using these at a desk, so it should be easier to tolerate the MH1's cabling. Ordered! Amazon says it'll get here tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to a trip report.
They did ship me the OMTP model, but while they work on my desktop at home, they don't work on my office computer, which is the whole reason I wanted to get them.

The cabling isn't a problem since they go behind the head, and the sound is pretty decent. I don't really want to deal with an adapter, so it looks like I'll either have to pay $40 for the CTIA version on Ebay or get something else. The XBA-1 looks like a good alternative for $32, and the headset version is $4 more. Although I rarely need headset capability, for $4 I might as well get it.

tynam
May 14, 2007

the kawaiiest posted:

So I'm looking for some good headphones to use with my Macbook Air. Maybe you guys can help?

Budget - $100-ish
Source - Macbook Air, probably my iPhone too occasionally. But it's mostly for the laptop.
Isolation Requirements - none
Preferred Type of Headphone - over-ear or earbuds (no preference really, just nothing too huge)
Preferred Tonal Balance - balanced
Past Headphones - I've only ever had really cheap headphones (like literally $10 earbuds) so...
Preferred Music - pop/electronic

e: I'm a fairly small woman and I like girly things so I would prefer something that doesn't look like it's going to turn into a giant robot and fight crime. I would also prefer one that isn't black, if at all possible. White would be really nice.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50WH-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B007GC4L7S/

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-A700X-Headphones/dp/B000E9VKUQ

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestige-SR80i-Stereo-Headphone/dp/B000G3LCQC/

Grado fits your budget but maybe not looks, unless you like the vintage design. The ATH-M50 fits everything but price, and the A700X is another solid option slightly above your price point. Another option would be the ATH-AD700 if you can find them cheap.

I highly recommend the ATH-M50WH overall.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

They did ship me the OMTP model, but while they work on my desktop at home, they don't work on my office computer, which is the whole reason I wanted to get them.

The cabling isn't a problem since they go behind the head, and the sound is pretty decent. I don't really want to deal with an adapter, so it looks like I'll either have to pay $40 for the CTIA version on Ebay or get something else. The XBA-1 looks like a good alternative for $32, and the headset version is $4 more. Although I rarely need headset capability, for $4 I might as well get it.

The XBA-1 is a massive step down from the MH1. If it's just your computer headphone jack, you can get a cheap 3.5mm extension cable from Radio Shack and it should work fine.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

tynam posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50WH-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B007GC4L7S/

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-A700X-Headphones/dp/B000E9VKUQ

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestige-SR80i-Stereo-Headphone/dp/B000G3LCQC/

Grado fits your budget but maybe not looks, unless you like the vintage design. The ATH-M50 fits everything but price, and the A700X is another solid option slightly above your price point. Another option would be the ATH-AD700 if you can find them cheap.

I highly recommend the ATH-M50WH overall.

Thank you, I'll have a look!

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

the kawaiiest posted:

Thank you, I'll have a look!

Just beware that those Audio Technica ATH-A700X are HUGE, hold a cd up to your ear, that's about their diameter.

If you're thinking about IEM's take a look at the HiFiMan RE400 and Vsonic GR06.

The RE400 is a pretty balanced and accurate though leaning towards the mids and I think they look drat good.
http://www.amazon.com/HifiMan-Elect...&keywords=re400

The V Sonic GR06 has more bass than the RE400 though it's less accurate. It's got a swiveling nozzle and a plethora of different tips, so getting a good fit shouldn't be too hard.
http://www.lendmeurears.com/product_info.php?cPath=15&products_id=37&osCsid=cbc94acd3fd88d1e5a77195e0dd6a131
I know they're not white or shiny, but they're 80 Singapore Dollars, which is about 80 cents to the US Dollar which comes out to $65, one of the better deals out there.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

grack posted:

The XBA-1 is a massive step down from the MH1. If it's just your computer headphone jack, you can get a cheap 3.5mm extension cable from Radio Shack and it should work fine.
Good to know. Ironically, it actually works with my iPhone. I've been listening to the iTunes Radio progressive house station and the MH1 sound great. The bass is full and punchy, not bloated. Mids and highs are pretty balance, and soundstage is pretty wide.

No fit issues, and the J cable works for me since I often listen with one ear in. Of course, I may be biased because my only IEM for about 8 years was the Sony EX-51.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 27, 2013

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Retarded Pimp posted:

Just beware that those Audio Technica ATH-A700X are HUGE, hold a cd up to your ear, that's about their diameter.

If you're thinking about IEM's take a look at the HiFiMan RE400 and Vsonic GR06.

The RE400 is a pretty balanced and accurate though leaning towards the mids and I think they look drat good.
http://www.amazon.com/HifiMan-Elect...&keywords=re400

The V Sonic GR06 has more bass than the RE400 though it's less accurate. It's got a swiveling nozzle and a plethora of different tips, so getting a good fit shouldn't be too hard.
http://www.lendmeurears.com/product_info.php?cPath=15&products_id=37&osCsid=cbc94acd3fd88d1e5a77195e0dd6a131
I know they're not white or shiny, but they're 80 Singapore Dollars, which is about 80 cents to the US Dollar which comes out to $65, one of the better deals out there.

Thanks, I will look at these too! I definitely don't want a very large one.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

the kawaiiest posted:

Thanks, I will look at these too! I definitely don't want a very large one.

I've never heard them, but the Skullcandy Aviators get pretty good reviews. Available in a ton of color options, too:

http://www.amazon.com/Skullcandy-S6...llcandy+aviator

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Retarded Pimp posted:

I've never tried the RE400 and my past "decent IEM" experience is simply with an old pair of Shure E2Cs, but the GR06 are pretty decent to my ears. I grabbed the GR06/GR07Mk2 set from LendMeUrEars hoping my wife would use the GR06, but it turns out she hates things over her ears. I now keep them in my laptop bag as a backup in case I forget the GR07s, but they sound pretty good. The bass is pronounced and the highs/mids are a bit less clear, but they're definitely not awful.

Which reminds me, I ended up grabbing the VSonic GR02s for the wife since she liked the GR07/GR06 sound but not the physical feel of them, and they're pretty awesome for 38USD shipped. Bass is definitely the focus but you can definitely tell they're related to the better VSonics (in a good way).

I still have my Shure E2Cs, but the left side is completely dead. Shure won't fix them, but they offered me a roughly 50% discount on the SE215s. Anyone have any experience with the SE215s AND GR07Mk2s? Is it even worth grabbing them?

Also, I'm looking at getting something other than my Sennheiser HD439s:

Budget - $100ish max. A bit over is OK, but under would be great.
Source - Computer, directly. It has ASRocks' "PuritySound" amp so high-ohm is OK.
Isolation - I probably want closed phones because I use these regularly while my wife is asleep a few feet away. Some sound leakage is fine, but probably not open cans.
Preferred Type of Headphone - I love IEMs, but this will be used for gaming and other late-night stuff when I might need to regularly remove them, which makes my GR07s a bit of a PITA. I want something over-the-ear that I can pull off fast if I need to help my toddler with bathroom stuff or whatnnot during the night.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I like my bass, but I don't like it muddy. I like my highs and mids too, but I definitely like clean bass with a punch and muddy bass is most likely to turn me off of a pair of headphones.
Past Headphones - VSonic GR02/GR06/GR07Mk2 - I love everything about the GR07Mk2 other than putting them on and taking them off. I'd like the bass a little punchier sometimes, but for the most part they're great. Shure E2C - I loved these, but I've been away from them so long I can't really compare. Sony V700DJs - these were awful. Everything sounded really flat and muddy across the board and the soundstage was just awful. Sennheiser 439s - I use these now. I guess the bass just feels really artificial and there's nothing else particularly good about these. I guess what I want is a sound as close to my GR07s in over-the-ear form as I can get in my pricerange, with maybe a bit more bass?
Preferred Music - I listen mostly to movie/game soundtracks, though I also will be playing games and occasionally watching TV shows with these.

I got to test a pair of Grado SR60s a few months back and I didn't mind the sound, though I didn't like the open design. It felt like too much sound was going somewhere other than my ears.

Also, these have to be comfortable with glasses, which was the only reason I bought the HD439s.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

You should look into the Creative Aurvana Live!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Midorka posted:

You should look into the Creative Aurvana Live!

The brand frightens me, but they're basically Denon internals? Interesting. How are they with highs and mids?

drat headphone shopping, I wish there was a giant loving headphone store that had all of these things sitting around so I could demo them.