Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Also, I have problems with animated GIFs not animating, even SA smilies. Disable gif animation is off.

HTC One S btw.

Also, just now when I posted this it tried to load page 10/5 instead of taking me to my reply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

nexus6 posted:

Also, just now when I posted this it tried to load page 10/5 instead of taking me to my reply.

Doing the same for me. I have it set to 20 posts per page, if it matters.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Lprsti99 posted:

Doing the same for me. I have it set to 20 posts per page, if it matters.

Me too

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

clay_ posted:

Suggestion: Add support for two thread tags like in Awful iOS, that way SA Mart threads show whether it's a buying or selling thread. Plus it looks nice.

Dev note: we have some little quarter-icon-size banners for buying/selling/auction/trade and ask/tell, before you go about making your own.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

I like a lot of this. A couple niggles:
  • Disable GIF animation should be in Thread settings > Image preferences as it directly relates to images.
  • Theme settings > Choose layout does nothing for me, leads to a radio button for simply "Default".
  • Can we get rid of "Show next page button at top"? Seems ridiculous.
  • What is Look and Feel > Thread layout? I can't find it unless it refers to Theme settings > Choose layout.
  • Scroll thread with volume keys needs to be renamed to "Scroll with volume keys" as it scrolls more than just the thread.
  • It seems that by definition Theme setttings should be under Look and Feel.

You're also right that Look and Feel is a terrible name.

I picked Look and Feel so people would be inspired to think of a better one :v: it's really more of an app UI and performance tweaks section. That's why I put the GIF settings in there too, since I think the main reason people turn them off is to save battery life. It would be nice to have an option in both places, but if I had to choose (which I did) I'd put them in the technical options bit, not in the general graphics section.

Same with me for the Theme settings > Choose Layout part - I don't know why it's there or what it does, so I left it. Same for that Look and Feel > Thread Layout option - it's in the main menu right now, below Hardware Acceleration, but it's greyed out for me because I ain't got a tablet. Maybe it needs to go somewhere else.

Thanks for the feedback too, I looked through yours and I see we're generally grouping things the same way (sometimes implicitly, like I put the UCP options together at the end of their section). Really I just like the idea of trying to keep all the pure presentation options together, split into sections for each view since there's a lot of it, and treating the Theme menu as the section for the overall 'look'. If there's going to be more control over that in future it might make sense to keep it separate.

Then I threw everything else, performance tweaks and navigation controls, into their own bit. I like the idea of discoverability, so if people are (say) getting bad battery life they can look at the menu and instantly jump into the technical submenu and see options for disabling things with a note about how they help with battery and glitches. But so long as the whole thing's logical and people can look at a short list and understand where they need to go, that'll do

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

I picked Look and Feel so people would be inspired to think of a better one :v: it's really more of an app UI and performance tweaks section. That's why I put the GIF settings in there too, since I think the main reason people turn them off is to save battery life. It would be nice to have an option in both places, but if I had to choose (which I did) I'd put them in the technical options bit, not in the general graphics section.
You and I know that disabling GIF animation is a battery saving option but I think the casual user would think that it's an image option.

baka kaba posted:

Same with me for the Theme settings > Choose Layout part - I don't know why it's there or what it does, so I left it. Same for that Look and Feel > Thread Layout option - it's in the main menu right now, below Hardware Acceleration, but it's greyed out for me because I ain't got a tablet. Maybe it needs to go somewhere else.
Gotcha. It should probably be renamed "Tablet layout" for clarity.

baka kaba posted:

Thanks for the feedback too, I looked through yours and I see we're generally grouping things the same way (sometimes implicitly, like I put the UCP options together at the end of their section). Really I just like the idea of trying to keep all the pure presentation options together, split into sections for each view since there's a lot of it, and treating the Theme menu as the section for the overall 'look'. If there's going to be more control over that in future it might make sense to keep it separate.
It seems natural the grouping we came to: Options for the app in general, the thread list/bookmark view, the post view, and then About/Support options.

baka kaba posted:

Then I threw everything else, performance tweaks and navigation controls, into their own bit. I like the idea of discoverability, so if people are (say) getting bad battery life they can look at the menu and instantly jump into the technical submenu and see options for disabling things with a note about how they help with battery and glitches. But so long as the whole thing's logical and people can look at a short list and understand where they need to go, that'll do.
I think it would be better to fix the performance problems instead of having a tweaks settings area that people can fiddle with although I get that we're all autists here though.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Oh look it's another wall of text

LastInLine posted:

How open are you to using on/off toggle with the title leading to the options (like Wi-Fi is in AOSP settings, for instance)? I know you said it targeted too high of an API but it changes how you'd structure the settings so I need to know.

Checkbox and Switch preferences are the same thing differently styled. Use them if you want but they'll be Checkboxes <ICS.

Cuntpunch posted:

1. If you are not on the final page of a thread and pull down to go to the next page, the bar at the top still reads "Release to Refresh" rather than whatever it used to say about the next page

2. Using the icon to go back no longer remembers if you accessed the thread through your bookmarks rather than the forums, it always takes you to the thread's back to the thread's forum. However if you swipe back it does seem to remember whether you came via bookmarks

1. I'm looking to solve that, its just a bit complex and didn't have priority because its just cosmetic.
2. As the others have said, this is the correct behavior and how it was supposed to work for at least like a year and a half. I don't know if it was you but I remember someone writing the same thing during the beta.

Kibner posted:

I'd also like to agree with the others saying P4N takes too much scrolling on phones. I would like to see it at 35%. I use a DROID 3.

anthonypants posted:

Instead of making it a percentage of the screen size, could you make it like an inch or two and expand that based on whatever the vertical resolution is?
This is probably going to be a slider with presets at .5 for phones and .3 for tablets.

Using this market image, the long red line is the part that actually matters for the P2R, the rest doesn't really exist as far as it's concerned. Now by default you need to cover half of that to trigger it. It doesn't matter where you start as long as you cover the distance of half that red bar (also indicated by red bars because I'm a genius). The problem is that if you make it too small you'll accidentally trigger it all the time when scrolling. You make it too big you'll run out of webview and the P2R stops.

nexus6 posted:

Why on earth do you pull from the bottom to load the next page but the only visual indication that you are doing anything is at the top?
Because the library didn't have PfB at all (because of that very reason actually) and I hacked it in. The alternative is basically not having it at all. Which you can do, there's an option for that.

nexus6 posted:

Also, I have problems with animated GIFs not animating, even SA smilies. Disable gif animation is off.

HTC One S btw.

I'll look into that (the first thing, second sounds like a SD problem :v:)

clay_ posted:

Suggestion: Add support for two thread tags like in Awful iOS, that way SA Mart threads show whether it's a buying or selling thread. Plus it looks nice.

Edit: With everyone talking about square tags, I'd honestly like to see an option to enable/disable square tags. I really enjoy them personally, but obviously other people don't.

pokeyman posted:

Dev note: we have some little quarter-icon-size banners for buying/selling/auction/trade and ask/tell, before you go about making your own.
Square tags will either be in 3.1 or not, switching between them and the old ones is a bad idea for various reasons.

We're currently not parsing secondary tags at all but that's shouldn't be too hard. I've just looked at the 6 icons and I'm not a big fan of them to be honest. I guess they belong in the top left corner?

LastInLine and baka kaba: I've just skipped over your suggestions so far but I'll take a closer look tomorrow. Looks good so far.

Salvador Dalvik posted:

If you want to contribute, you can fork the project on Github and submit a pull request with any changes. You can always post bug reports or feature requests under the Issues section, that's the best place for us to keep track of them.

For the record, and I'm probably going to regret this, if you have a really minor change or contribution like a css file, you can put the file in your dropbox or a gist/pastebin/etc and pm them to me. Or make and issue and post it there. I'd rather have the contribution than not because of :effort:. Of course I'd prefer a pull-request.

hey santa baby posted:

Anybody got a screenshot so I can be properly outraged at this awful disgrace?

Sereri fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 26, 2013

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

nexus6 posted:

Can you click a quote-link that leads to a previous page and verify that works? I fixed this exact bug for quote links and I thought it was working for replies, so I'll look into this.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Salvador Dalvik posted:

Can you click a quote-link that leads to a previous page and verify that works? I fixed this exact bug for quote links and I thought it was working for replies, so I'll look into this.

That works correctly, yeah.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Sereri posted:

I know it sucks but try fully clearing the app and reinstalling. Isn't 4.1.2 out for the S3?

Ok I missed that update, but now with 4.1.2 everything works like a dream. Thanks for the app :).

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Sereri posted:

I guess they belong in the top left corner?

Yep.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
In threads with long posts, even without images, just walls of text, sometimes links, spoilers, and the little three dots won't work. Nothing happens when I tap them. I have tried clearing my cache.
I am on a Motorola Xoom tablet running stock Android 4.1.2.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Aleph Null posted:

In threads with long posts, even without images, just walls of text, sometimes links, spoilers, and the little three dots won't work. Nothing happens when I tap them. I have tried clearing my cache.

Can you link a page that does this reliably? I should be able to replicate it on one of my older test tablets.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Bug on the new market version in that it doesn't refresh your bookmarks page automatically. The old version did this nearly every time I navigated back to my bookmarks. Or is this intentional?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Aleph Null posted:

Do you have gifs disabled? If so try it with that option turned off.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I like the new version aesthetically but think that the touch area for the 3 dots on the right of a username could stand to be bigger, I might just have lazy fingers but I seem to just expand the users avatar half the time.

Also a slider as you mention for percentage of pull to refresh would be great, feels a bit much at the moment on my s3

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I absolutely love the new look and feel of the new app. Thanks for all the hard work!

My only complaint though, and it has been mentioned a few times before, is the missing indicator at the bottom when you do a P2N.
The way it works at the top is great and intuitive, but my finger is covering it when I pull to next page, so it's almost useless.

Also, please stick with the official forum/thread tags/icons.

Fart of Presto fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 26, 2013

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Is there a way to turn off highlighting the OP? That'd make the YOSPOS theme perfect for my battery-saving needs.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

Sereri posted:

C# isn't that far from Java and looking at Xamarin tutorals, it seems to use the Android layout system. Maybe take a look at the repository and see how much you can figure out. :)

Yeah I might give it a shot, I'm still learning c#, so I might go java anyway. What's the preferred IDE for java/android development?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

-Anders posted:

Yeah I might give it a shot, I'm still learning c#, so I might go java anyway. What's the preferred IDE for java/android development?
You have three options:

Eclipse - The old dog, reliable but lacks some niceties, feels a bit dated to me.
IntelliJ IDEA - A lot of people have switched to this now, I find some of the keybindings infuriatingly stupid but otherwise it's a really nice IDE. The first Java IDEA I've used which feels anything like as good as Visual Studio.
Android Studio - Google's own branch of IntelliJ, it's a beta so has a few issues but does some nice Android specific things. I use this at home for my own projects where I'm fine with being on the bleeding edge.

Come ask in the Android dev thread if you want more detail, people will happily argue about this all day :) .

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Is there any way to keep avatars but disable images? That worked in the old version and helped conserve my data plan, but now if I disable images avatars go away too. It really sucks for readability and tracking posts on my small phone.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Jeoh posted:

Is there a way to turn off highlighting the OP? That'd make the YOSPOS theme perfect for my battery-saving needs.

There is now! (well for me, you'll get it soon). P2R distance option is working well so far.

Question to the "bottom P2R is terrible because feedback" people. Is that on phones or tablets?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Sereri posted:

There is now! (well for me, you'll get it soon). P2R distance option is working well so far.

Question to the "bottom P2R is terrible because feedback" people. Is that on phones or tablets?

Phone here, HTC One S

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Salvador Dalvik posted:

Can you link a page that does this reliably? I should be able to replicate it on one of my older test tablets.

I just got this bug on the last page of the comic strip thread here though I could still tap the three dots, urls didn't work. Disabling animated gifs seems to have fixed it for me.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Sereri posted:

For me the feedback feels weird on my Nexus 7 and HTC One. P2R is great, but I'd vastly prefer something like before where you over-pull to show the notification area.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I just used the new version this morning and seeing the YOSPOS color theme was startling and cool. Thanks for the great work. :tipshat:

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Sereri posted:

I'm on a 10" tablet.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's terrible on both my Note 10.1 and my Epic 4G

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I've compiled a zip for css testing.

Just drop your file into the css folder, press the button at the top and enter the .css file name (eg yospos.css).

It's probably best to test with a webkit browser like chrome or safari since that will get the closest results but I guess Firefox should be ok too.

Note that the img .avatarCorner tag will be removed by the end of the week and that colors on your screen will look different on your device

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

What do the three loading or progress bars/meters represent? There's the wobbly circular one on the top right, the segmented quickly moving one above the thread title and then the third left to right bar below the thread title.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Rasmussen posted:

What do the three loading or progress bars/meters represent? There's the wobbly circular one on the top right, the segmented quickly moving one above the thread title and then the third left to right bar below the thread title.

They represent laziness, :effort: and apathy

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
I'm not a fan of how slow P2R is now. I have to drag my finger ~2-3 inches across my screen to get it to complete the refresh.

I can see that blue posts are read posts that aren't mine, grey are unread posts and green are my posts, but what are the diarrhea colored posts?

Other than that, still getting used to it, but thank you for your work.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Secret Sweater posted:

what are the diarrhea colored posts?

Posts by the OP of a thread

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Sereri posted:

Just drop your file into the css folder, press the button at the top and enter the .css file name (eg yospos.css).

It's probably best to test with a webkit browser like chrome or safari since that will get the closest results but I guess Firefox should be ok too.

Note that the img .avatarCorner tag will be removed by the end of the week and that colors on your screen will look different on your device

Thank you for this.

Also thanks for posting the square thread tag screenshot earlier. It looks like with the square tags there will be less space for the title text, so count me as a vote against. I remember pestering SD in his Geekner period to allow linewrap of thread titles so that one could see the full thread title in forums view (I think it was him), so this is to me a step backwards.

Uniscott
Sep 19, 2013
Thanks, this app works great :)

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha
Liking the new update, but one small issue I've seen so far. On my Nexus 7 (v2) when I rotate the app into landscape mode the screen blanks out and I loose all the posts (or the forums if I'm at that level). Rotating it back only seems to fix it once in a while, most times it remains blank. I usually have to quit out and go back into the app to get things working again. Other than that, the new look and feel is great. :)

superunknown
Jul 11, 2001

If good things lasted forever, would we appreciate how precious they are?

Sereri posted:

Thank you for this!
Where on the phone do the edited .css files go?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
A really slow-loading page seemed to break the CSS in the app until I killed it:

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
I like the improvements you've made, but I think you broke long pressing on links. I can't copy them directly any more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

I like the improvements you've made, but I think you broke long pressing on links. I can't copy them directly any more

I can confirm this. I tested the bug with the link to the CSS test zip.