Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Weld in a new floorpan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

BraveUlysses posted:

Weld in a new floorpan.

Or hire Fred and Wilma

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

tater_salad posted:

Ratchet straps would be an accepted redneck fix duct tape is pure lazy
I get to post this again! 1989 Chevrolet Celebrity with a broken dogbone mount. Supposed to be a temporary fix, ended up being permanent.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Left Ventricle posted:

I get to post this again! 1989 Chevrolet Celebrity with a broken dogbone mount. Supposed to be a temporary fix, ended up being permanent.

Every time I get worried about deferred maintenance on my own car I need to remember that things like this somehow work for years. :v:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I cannot believe this poo poo.

I'm doing my Volvo 940's brakes for the first time. It makes noises, the brake response is decreasing, it changes its braking rate during stops (pushing everyone in the car forwards and backwards), and when I took the wheel off to inspect it, it looked like only one side was making contact (and constant contact, at that; one side of the rotor was worn down more, and there looked to be metal shavings on the brake pad).

I bought some rotors and Akebono ceramic pads from Amazon, and did the other side first, to learn how to do it. Then I took the wheel on the bad side off and unbolted the brake caliper. While trying to pull the jammed caliper off the rotor, I noticed it was a bit wobbly. I attributed it to the wheel being off. Then I looked at the caliper retaining bolt/wheel locating pin, and noticed that unlike the other side, the pin half was threaded. "Hmm," I thought. "The previous owner must've lost the pin and used a bolt or an aftermarket pin with two threaded sides."

I began to unscrew it and it was far easier than the other side had been. "Perhaps it's stripped," I thought. "Maybe I'll need to order a new one. I hope I don't need a new wheel hub." I removed it and noticed that the bolt portion appeared stripped, but the threads in the hub were fine.

I took a closer look at the bolt. They had inserted the non-threaded wheel locating pin portion into the hub and "tightened" it. It was held to the caliper by rust, and not at all to the wheel hub.

The previous owner also broke the clip points off the airbox and fastened it shut with wood screws. So much for "he's a Volvo mechanic's son and says his dad kept on him to maintain it".

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

"I hit a pothole I think"

Once I took the wheel off it was impossible to put back on unless I deflated the tyre completely, put the wheel on, reinflated.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
drat is that a tear in the CV as well?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Least of their worries, but yeah. The steering knuckle is bent too, though you can't see it in my lovely pics.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
If you spell pothole like "curb" then sure.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

anonumos posted:

Or use the frame rail like any sane person...

Not if you have something like an S13, then that will dent the frame rails.

D C fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 25, 2013

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

D C posted:

If you would have placed it 2.5 inches further back, no dent...

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

D C posted:

I have never seen an A1/A2/A3 chassis VW or unibody Dodge from the 80s-90s that didn't have the frame rail on both sides, in that exact same position, caved in. Mechanics unfamiliar with either make of vehicle or unibody cars in general, try and lift those vehicles from that exact point and it just isn't meant to carry the weight of the vehicle. They all have very specific jacking-points on the body just to the outer side of those rails (you can easily see them because they obviously look beefed up and shaped to fit a standard jack), and in the case of VWs, the bodywork actually has very small notches in both the front and rear side-panels that visually pinpoint the jacking spot without actually looking under the car.

All that said, if you weren't going to use the factory jacking points (or needed more than one per corner, like when putting the car on stands), I don't know why they wouldn't use the point where the lower control-arm attaches to the unibody, as that's at least a point that is designed to hold up the entire weight of the vehicle, even if it's not meant as a jacking point.

Edit: I just looked at the picture more closely and realized that it's the rear-end of that rail that's dented, not the front. I just want to make it clear that I always see the front of these rails caved-in, just behind the front wheels.

The King of Swag fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 25, 2013

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

The King of Swag posted:

Edit: I just looked at the picture more closely and realized that it's the rear-end of that rail that's dented, not the front. I just want to make it clear that I always see the front of these rails caved-in, just behind the front wheels.

Yeah I couldnt find a picture of the front bit of the rails, I've never seen an S13 without dented frame rails.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
It's not just Nissan, I've seen other makes with weak "frame rail" spots. It's time that manufacturer's standardized on what a jacking point looks like. Lives are literally at stake.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

revmoo posted:

It's not just Nissan, I've seen other makes with weak "frame rail" spots. It's time that manufacturer's standardized on what a jacking point looks like. Lives are literally at stake.

They do standardise them, it's called taking it to the dealer. Manufacturers aren't interested in what some poor oval office is doing to the car twelve years down the track.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Have you guys never heard of jacking up on the pinch weld? Use the frame on a pickup truck or Panther car, sure, but any unibody car is gonna have a pinch weld running the length of the body just beneath the door sills. It's where we position the arms to lift them at the shop, and 99% of cars have reinforced spots meant specifically for lift arms/jack stands towards the front and rear wheels, which even have notches to make them stand out, like so:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

A lot of shops just don't care.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
Using a pinch weld without collapsing it usually required a pinch-weld adaptor, and I can guarantee most people don't even know what that is, let alone use it.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

The King of Swag posted:

most people don't even know what that is

It's a hockey puck with a slot cut in it.

SimulatedWoodgrain
Oct 6, 2006
That's all fine and well on new cars and places where rockers don't turn to rust dust.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

SimulatedWoodgrain posted:

That's all fine and well on new cars and places where rockers don't turn to rust dust.

The ONLY benefit to living in Florida, I'm afraid.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

This looked like fun!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Messadiah posted:

This looked like fun!

I see co-ax switches and a waveguide in the lower right...

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
I can't find a picture but the Ford Aerostars were great for caved-in under bodies. They were kinda hard to get right on a lift and most mechanics would be like, "Oh, I'll just lift it up by the pinch weld." only to have them fold. I've seen a few with nice big crushed spots in front of the rear wheel openings.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Previa_fun posted:

Every time I get worried about deferred maintenance on my own car I need to remember that things like this somehow work for years. :v:

I took that picture in September '09 and ended up scrapping it October '10, so year, singular, but yeah, it worked well enough. If the engine started rocking enough that the alternator cooling fan hit the AC blower motor (very distinctive noise), I just needed to crank the strap down again.

MiNDRiVE
Nov 8, 2012
Saw this car next to a church baseball diamond. It had pictures of the car before and it was fine. I'm guessing they had batting practice with it?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Fucknag posted:

Have you guys never heard of jacking up on the pinch weld? Use the frame on a pickup truck or Panther car, sure, but any unibody car is gonna have a pinch weld running the length of the body just beneath the door sills. It's where we position the arms to lift them at the shop, and 99% of cars have reinforced spots meant specifically for lift arms/jack stands towards the front and rear wheels, which even have notches to make them stand out, like so:

Try that on a unibody jeep sometime.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Joe Mama posted:

I can't find a picture but the Ford Aerostars were great for caved-in under bodies. They were kinda hard to get right on a lift and most mechanics would be like, "Oh, I'll just lift it up by the pinch weld." only to have them fold. I've seen a few with nice big crushed spots in front of the rear wheel openings.

Weren't Aerostars on the Ranger chassis anyway, meaning they should've had a really obvious frame to use for lifting?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

MiNDRiVE posted:

Saw this car next to a church baseball diamond. It had pictures of the car before and it was fine. I'm guessing they had batting practice with it?

Might be one of those, "this is what happens when you drink/text and drive" warning things for high schoolers?

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Or one of those "$5 for 5 swings with a sledgehammer for charity" events?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MiNDRiVE posted:

Nobody but Father O'Malley parks in Father O'Malley's space. Nobody.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

kastein posted:

Try that on a unibody jeep sometime.

It worked fine on a Legacy and Jetta.

Can anyone recommend a jack stand pinch weld adapter?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

thebigcow posted:

xp67 posted:

It's a hockey puck with a slot cut in it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

From a QX56

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

NitroSpazzz posted:

From a QX56

oooo a Mac wrench, keep that poo poo. I have a 12mm Craftsman pulled from a tire that I use at work.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

thebigcow posted:

It worked fine on a Legacy and Jetta.

Flyin' Miata has a nice but overpriced one.

http://flyinmiata.com/index.php?deptid=5681&parentid=0&stocknumber=35-70000

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

NitroSpazzz posted:

From a QX56

Wait until you see one that goes box end first. I have an awesome sk 10mm stubby wrench i got that way.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Speaking of sidewall issues, spotted on the rear of an F350:

Also, a sneak preview of a manual steering gearbox I'm rebuilding for my friend's '67 El Camino:

I'm finishing the teardown of it this weekend, more pics to come.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I don't think I"ll ever be purchasing those tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Given that there is significant treadwear on the sidewall lettering I would blame the owner for driving with it way underinflated / overloaded before I'd blame the manufacturer.