Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!
I didn't mean to start an argument when I suggested talking about Shushem with Tudiya. I just figured it's the kind of thing you'd bring up when you've got seven long nights in the wilderness with the guy. I can't really see Enkidel even being angry about it anymore. Barring that murder, Tudiya has been the source of greatest good in Og's life and a model of adulthood that's well worth emulating. But it just seems like it might come up at a certain point late at night when everything is quiet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

You walk for some time through the night with Tudiya, the land flat and dark, the stars twinkling ahead, you and Tudiya eventually camp for the night beneath a tree. Tudiya sends you gather scrub brush and sticks, which you do. Tudiya lifts two of the sticks and speaks.

Vayahi Or

His words have that strange character they do at times, as if you could reach out and touch them. He tosses the two sticks into the pile of tinder you have gathered and the sticks glow and then, ignite.

You can be pretty sure that that is not the way you make a fire with two sticks. Tudiya answers your question. You have heard many stories of course, many tales and many great deeds, but you asked Tudiya and so he answers. He sits beside you on a large rock, looking into the fire.

"Labaras was born far, far, far to the north and further to the east, east even of the grasslands where Kadmonim tribes wander."

"The world was young. Men were little more than animals. Man knew not how to farm or brew, to write or count the stars, or even to sing or dance."

Tudiya looks somberly into the rock for a long moment.

"Men worshiped the sun and the moon and the stars. Men worshiped each other. Men worshiped the beasts of the field, great bears, wolves, more clever beasts such as those who now only trouble our borders and raid on occasion. Men worshiped demons and the spawn of demons. Men lived in terror of a world of many dangers. You cannot today, concieve of what the world was then, for man."

"Labaras was born, better. Smarter. Swifter. Stronger of heart, body and spirit. A giant of a man. His people offered their still living young to demons upon altars to feed their infernal and endless appetites, enslaving the bodies and souls of men. "So it was from the dawn of time. Till the birth of Labaras."

"Labaras knew only the world before him, he did not know there could be any other way, yet he knew it was wrong. He left his people. He fought demons and the spawn of demons and wandered the world. He slew many great beasts and he liberated many tribes of men from the yolk of their opressors. Yet it was only when he climbed Mount Har that he heard the voice of the heavens."

"It lay far to the north and to the east of here, the mountain which rises all the way to Paradise. Seeking his foes, Labaras climbed up the mountain. As he climbed up it's side, he heard a voice speak to him. "LABARAS!" cried out the voice which caused the entire mountain to shake, the voice of the Ophanim who said to him "You stand upon the Sacred Mountain of the Creator Who is El! Make yourself Holy! Remove your sandals, anoint yourself with oil and cut your hair before you would seek El!" So Labaras made himself holy and he climbed the mountain. There, he spoke with El and learned all of the arts of men, farming, smithing, writing, war, cosmetic and all such arts. He descended the mountain and raised up an altar and named the place Baitel, the House of El."

"He took wives and he raised up sons and he spread the arts taught to him. With his sons and the aid of the Ophanim, he pushed back the monstrous horde and they pushed back the onslaught of the demons and with blood and spear and faith, they made a place for their own sons in this world. The danger was pushed to the borders of our cities and into the wilderness... and while men in ancient days did not know how to farm, the demons did and still do. Ashrak is not the only such demon and Athar is not the only such farm. The demons remain. And their hunger is eternal... they grow hungrier and as they do, men grow weaker."

Tudiya looks somberly into the flickering fire, the only sound the crackling of the sticks and the distant noises of animals.

You can chat with Tudiya and ask him questions if you like. Same rules as always for talking to others. We will advance time, early tomorrow, in the morning if possible.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

You say that the demons farm men, outside of the holy cities of El. How may these places be freed? Can they be freed? Can these demons ever be slain or somehow driven off?

Can a city ever be built by the sea?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

SerSpook posted:

You say that the demons farm men, outside of the holy cities of El. How may these places be freed? Can they be freed? Can these demons ever be slain or somehow driven off?

"Labaras and his sons built their cities as far as they could push back their accursed foes. We had hoped there might be more further south, perhaps, far further, there may be still. We hoped to find them. It seems Zepath truly is the edge of the world. Such places cannot often be freed, for the unholy horrors keep a close eye not far at all from the lands of our cities, waiting as we decline.

Some few can be saved. I know one child we saved a few years ago. It was a risk, to snatch the boy before the demon was roused, from a servant of one of the demons no less, but it seems to have worked, though we were forced to flee swiftly, before the demon was roused and gave chase. The sky went dark in it's anger almost at once."

Tudiya looks at you for a moment, then back to the fire.

SerSpook posted:

Can a city ever be built by the sea?
"More than one horror swims in the seas. It would not be wise."

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
The frippery:

Tudiya: Child you seem to be struggling within yourself?

Us: What? Me? Struggling? ::hand waving:: Its just a bit of that roast lizard repeating on me. ::burp::

Tudiya: ::looking ominous:: Are ye possessed by deeeeeeemons?!?

Snarls: ::hiding his head in his paws::

Us: Demons? Possessed? Me? Nooooooooo. Pfffft. ::more hand waving:: As if. Demons... :: voice cracking:: Hahaha :nervous laughter:: Possessed by demons. ::head shaking:: Don't be silly, its really just the lizard. ::cough:: You know, you're pretty good at all the King Stuff and Monster Slaying and all. The cooking? Not so much.

Tudiya: That is good then child. It would pain my heart greatly to have to rip off one of your limbs and beat you to death with it. Waste of a good slave and and long walk into the wilds.

Us: ::swallow::

Sogol fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 26, 2013

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
When I was young and living in such a farm I was taught that such Demons as Ashrak had many offspring and that some among them fought him to protect other offspring and men from Ashrak's insatiable appetite. Have you heard that this was so?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Sogol posted:

Time wasting update waiting frippery from Sogol removed.

Hey, I thought it was funny! Why edit it out?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Diogines posted:

Hey, I thought it was funny! Why edit it out?

So did I.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
"You say that the demons persist and mankind grows weaker. Does this mean mankind is fighting a war against demons that cannot be won, only delayed? Is there anything that can be done to starve the demons and turn the tide?"

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Sogol posted:

When I was young and living in such a farm I was taught that such Demons as Ashrak had many offspring and that some among them fought him to protect other offspring and men from Ashrak's insatiable appetite. Have you heard that this was so?
"Thralls are told many lies, that they remain compliant cattle."

Zybourne Clock posted:

"You say that the demons persist and mankind grows weaker. Does this mean mankind is fighting a war against demons that cannot be won, only delayed? Is there anything that can be done to starve the demons and turn the tide?"
"Every generation men's faith in El weakens. Every generation, the blood of Labaras grows weaker. Labaras is in Paradise and few of his sons remain. Men such as Ishamal are uncommon, we are fortunate to have him in Zepath. The Ophanim still aid us... but there is no promise that they shall always do so, if men do not keep strong in their faith. Thus I take you into the wilds, that you may find an offering worthy of El. Demons are not at the walls of Zepath now, nor do I believe you will they be in your time, but you must pass this tale down one day, to your own sons and ensure they remain strong in their faith. El draws no power from your words and no strength from your offerings, but if we do not show him our resolve, then the Ophanim shall aid us no more and there shall be no place in this world for our sons."

Diogines fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 26, 2013

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
So the blood of Labaras is the greatest shield humanity has against the demons. But the bloodline inevitably thins each generation. Mankind was able to carve out a sort of civilization for itself depending only on Labaras' bloodline, but it seems to me that the only way we will able to expand our influence against demonkind once again would be if another powerful bloodline, as strong as Laberas, appeared.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
Suggest sunday school at the city temple. I'm serious.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I do not know how the blood of Labaras flows from man to man. I do know that my mother is from Baitel, and that I am approaching the height of those that come from his blood-line. Can the blood of Labaras come from a mother, or only the father?

Or am I simply tall and strong, keen of eye and sharp of ear? I do know that my eyesight and hearing is better than Danal's, or was during the minotaur attack two years prior, which seems strange as he comes from the line of Labaras and I, to my knowledge, do not.

A witch also once stated I have natural talent in magic, though I refused to pursue such a path. Is there any way to utilize this talent honorably and for El?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

SerSpook posted:

I do not know how the blood of Labaras flows from man to man. I do know that my mother is from Baitel, and that I am approaching the height of those that come from his blood-line. Can the blood of Labaras come from a mother, or only the father?
"Only from the father."

SerSpook posted:

Or am I simply tall and strong, keen of eye and sharp of ear?
"There are men taller than you in the city who are not Mighty Men, Enkidel. It is not unusual for men to be tall, from their mother alone. It is unlikely you will get much taller."

SerSpook posted:

A witch also once stated I have natural talent in magic, though I refused to pursue such a path. Is there any way to utilize this talent honorably and for El?
Minivote. Do you intend to tell Tudiya you chatted with a witch?

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Tell me of the Kardonim and of our other neighbors. What is their story? Who lives near to Zepath? What do they do, who do they worship.

In truth, did you set out to raid the farm from the beginning? To try and save those you could?

Tell me what you know of Ashrak. Surely there are legends of how to defeat such a thing. Or of other such horrors in general

Edit: I've forgotten all about witches. Someone fill me in on why we were talking to a witch. Also how will Tudiya react

Lanky Coconut Tree fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 26, 2013

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!
yes

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

What do we know of Tudiya's opinion of magic and witches?

eta: We were talking to a witch practicing in Zepath during the time-skip, she was a choice for learning magic if we so wished. We didn't because magic is considered unmanly at the very least. Knowing that we approached one might lower his opinion of us (might not too, we were curious and did not pursue that path), but he might also be able to provide some insight into magic that El approves of, and that we can utilize to help with the seeming dystopian future coming.

Also, I have a weird feeling we aren't going to be Enkidu 2.0, but perhaps Labaras 2.0. We have been communicating with what we presume to be Melachim and we have some known advantages over those of the line of Labaras in terms of sight/hearing.

And we might, in fact, grow larger yet. Tudiya is just guessing.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 26, 2013

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

If I recall correctly, magic was generally frowned upon and shameful, for men at least.

Minivoting: No to saying we spoke with a witch. I'm not so much worried about us, but I don't want her to get in trouble, and I can't remember whether or not she was open about her witchery.

Ask Tudiya: When you started that fire, were you able to do that because of your blood? Or was it something you learned, in which case, can I learn it?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

the_steve posted:

If I recall correctly, magic was generally frowned upon and shameful, for men at least.

Minivoting: No to saying we spoke with a witch. I'm not so much worried about us, but I don't want her to get in trouble, and I can't remember whether or not she was open about her witchery.

Ask Tudiya: When you started that fire, were you able to do that because of your blood? Or was it something you learned, in which case, can I learn it?

I'm fine with asking this question as it's kind of a roundabout way of asking about magic, but I think either way we should ask if there is a way to use magic honorably and in service to El, if only because he just told us we won't be the physical beast and have the innate stuff he does. Such a question shouldn't be offensive or anything, it's just an honest question about magic and it's place in society.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

SerSpook posted:

What do we know of Tudiya's opinion of magic and witches?

The reason he dislikes Bareen's temple is because she hands out faith healings like candy and tells people to worship the Melachim. Being a practitioner of magic doesn't necessarily weaken one's faith in El, but a powerful wizard who performs his craft publicly unwittingly does the same thing Bareen does, which is to tell people you can live perfectly fine without El.

I think it's a very bad idea to tell Tudiya we actively went looking for a witch. We didn't know better at the time, sure, but I don't want to disappoint the King. (Voting no for now).

Ask Tudiya: "You place your trust in Barkof, but he affiliates himself with the temple of the Melachim. He goes there a lot, and is friendly enough with Bareen to spar with her. I don't mean to be rude, but how can you be friendly with him, if he supports a church that is anathema to the survival of Zepath?"

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Inform Tudiya that Bareen the witch approached us several years ago, informing us about some "vague potential" something or another. Tell Tudiya that we swiftly declined the offer, for that was not our place.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 26, 2013

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
She turned me into a newt!

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Diogines posted:

I. I found a witch! A real one! Her name is Indor. She is an old woman. A lot of magic is fake, but she is for real! Lots of people in the city buy potions and medicines from her and sometimes protective amulets. What she does is not showy like ripping off a giant minotaur's leg and beating it to death with it, nor is there any light like when Bareen does her miracle cures, but everyone knows Indor's stuff really works! Everyone looks down their nose at magic and it is not a respectable thing for any would be adventurer to pursue, but I wanted to learn more. I was walking home and I saw a thief running out of her stall! I walloped him hard and he ran off and I gave her back what the thief stole. After, Indor hired me to help her find herbs and other things in the hills near Zepath. It turns out that snails are important to her magic and I sure am an expert when it comes to collecting snails! This is not... forbidden, but it is not a respectable thing for any man to do. Indor says I have natural talent for magic! I know Tudiyah would not approve and Danal would not either. I know I am not a descendant of Labaras so I will never have Labaras-Power... but if I keep at it... maybe I could learn some real magic!

Diogines posted:

When you declined the invitation of the witch Indor, she shook her head and said "Such a shame child, you have such natural talent for magic."

If the first quote is what happened, then I'm voting Yes to telling Tudiya about the witch, as long as we stick to something like "Yeah a few years back I stopped this thief guy, turns out he was stealing from a witch. She offered to teach me magic as thanks, but I said nah I'mma be swole, but she was disappointed cause we had natural talent"

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

jazzyhattrick posted:

Yeah, hitting some tent dwelling savage with a pointy stick is way cooler than training to be King Superman's recon sniper.

Well, I would have rather been Asherahs lightning shooting doomsday herald, but each to their own I suppose.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Tell me of the Kardonim
"The Kadmonim follow their flocks, far, far east and to the north of us and east of Baitel. They do not farm the land and do not stay in one place."

Who lives near to Zepath? What do they do, who do they worship.
"Ibleam lay two weeks east and a bit north. The king of Ibleam is a fool who has long coveted our cattle and who feasts when he should be keeping the countryside quiet.

Two weeks north and a bit east, lay Taanach, who has been a good friend to us for many years. Both cities are larger than Zepath. They have farmers, craftsmen, herdsmen and Mighty Men, as we do."

In truth, did you set out to raid the farm from the beginning? To try and save those you could?
"We were uncertain if any cities lay further south. We went to go look. Perhaps some may still, further south, but I am doubtful."

Tell me what you know of Ashrak. Surely there are legends of how to defeat such a thing. Or of other such horrors in general
"Concern yourself the task ahead and worry for the tales of such horrors when when you are older."

the_steve posted:

He shakes his head. "A small thing but no, it is not something you could learn."

Zybourne Clock posted:

Ask Tudiya: "You place your trust in Barkof, but he affiliates himself with the temple of the Melachim. He goes there a lot, and is friendly enough with Bareen to spar with her. I don't mean to be rude, but how can you be friendly with him, if he supports a church that is anathema to the survival of Zepath?"
"As you well know child, by custom and by right, the leader of the Mighty Men of Zepath is the man to defeat his predecessor, or to win a tourney among all who would seek the spot. Barkof won, the role is his. As long as he obeys my will, I have nothing else to say."

Diogines fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 21, 2020

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Voting Yes, it's not like we did anything other than get told we have an affinity for magic, plus Tudiya probably already knows anyway.

And while it seems we can kinda broach the subject of our old gods, Ask Tudiya; We had a god that protected men from Asherahs wrath, Smis, he was kinda like Smattas now that I think about it. Why would they want a thrall to even know that someone *might* be able to protect them?

I think that Smis is Smattas, and the other gods are just renamed Ophanim (Xural/Xuriel etc), and they appear as whatever our mind associates with them in our dreams/godplane - So Smattas appeared as the things we associated with 'protection' - Crayfish/Smis Jorah and then normal Jorah later on (then Snarls?), Asherah appears as our dad for obvious reasons. I'm guessing if we ever see El he'll appear as Tudiya.

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Sep 26, 2013

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I had work so just skimming to catch up. I deleted the frippery because I felt it detracted from the update due to positioning. Sorry. I can probably remember it. I'll see.

I would not be inclined to go into witches and such. So that is a No. He will give us an El-centric answer. If we do go that way we might frame it as we encountered one, but did not pursue it, which is basically the fact of the matter. I also don't want to bring the wrath of Tudiya onto Idor.

I will update the Book of Names with all these new goodies when I get a chance.

Tudiya's offer to El was his whole self and life. Bareen publicaly preaches that El does not exist. This would be a massive heresy to Tudiya and more than a little upsetting beyond anything political, I would imagine. Who knows what Barkof and Ishamal said to him to keep him from razing the Temple.

Also as part of Enkidel's spirit I only did not pursue magic because of limited time and prioritization. I am still very interested to know more about the charlatans and what is meant by magic.

There are the invocations we have heard from Ishamal and Tudiya which I assume to be High El, the holy language. He believes we cannot learn it, but we probably don't know. We have heard it on three or four occasions now. Of course we will try it now that we have heard it with a specific use.

The Charalatan magic seems to be different and I still want to know more about it.

I now feel that Asherah has not forgotten us and the sea may come to find us. We should build a pretty big boat sometime soon.

Edit: started mini vote count on Which Witch. Will add any other mini votes that come up.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 26, 2013

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Yes, ask him the question

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Also yes ask questions

I'm worried how we will go in the wilderness when we can't have 6-7 meals a day. If we have more than a mortal hunger Snarls may end up feeding us one way or another.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Do not ask about the witch. Tudiya is not trustworthy and will probably try to have the poor woman killed for helping out the lives of the poor with her magic.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Order Snarls to murder Tudiya and then eat his heart to gain his power.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
That might need a minivote.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Yeah let's ask him, we don't have to give names. (Tudiya, not Snarls)

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Nettle Soup posted:

Yeah let's ask him, we don't have to give names. (Tudiya, not Snarls)

I'd like to ask Snarls too, but only once we are surviving in the desert or whatever.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Yes on the witch and telling Tudiya that we didn't act on it.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Order Snarls to murder Tudiya and then eat his heart to gain his power.

I vote yes on this. However, did you mean for us to eat his heart or for Snarls to eat the heart? Personally, I want the heart and Snarls can have the liver.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
We are the last line of defence before a dark unholy onslaught, huh?

We are going to raise a war band and return to our little village to liberate that demonic sacrifice farm. Zepath-Baitel United Humans Popular Front Liberation Army Vanguard!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Imperialist Dog posted:

We are going to raise a war band and return to our little village to liberate that demonic sacrifice farm. Zepath-Baitel United Humans Popular Front Liberation Army Vanguard!

ZBUHPFLAV? Sounds Polish.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Imperialist Dog posted:

Judging from some of the comments here, we're not just the last line of defense before an external dark unholy onslaught - we're also the last line of internal defense before a dark unholy onslaught of heart-eatin', Asherah-worshippin' cannibals.

Edit: I am going to laugh so hard if we end up losing the final struggle somehow because our hearts held a seed of darkness and corruption that demanded hearts.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Sep 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

\

my dad posted:

ZBUHPFLAV? Sounds Polish.

Offer a perogie to El