Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I'm surprised nobody posted his (on Kickstarter, open to public) bio. It's basically :3: ^ 2.

quote:

My name is Wayne Robinson and I'm married to the lovely Natasha Marie Robinson.. I have 3 children.. Emily is 20 and Sean will be 12 Sept.3rd..and Austin is my step son and he is 7. I have dreamed most of my life of owning my own eating establishment and its been a rough, long road... it's very expensive buying a restaurant as most people know. After failing at opening a larger type restaurant(due to finances) I really fell in love with the hotdog stand possibility about 15 years ago. I never could get all the cards to fall in place till a few months ago I decided come hail or high water, I was going for it... with much help and advice from several hot dog vendors around the country,and with my own experiences in the food business,and with much planning and saving money, I have managed to get so close, to getting my dream.. even if all you wonderful people decide not to fund this project, and I pray you do, I intend to follow through, because I'm very passionate about this, and can't give up. I'm 45 years old so time is of the essence.. I want to supply for my family a decent income doing the thing I love to do and be able to teach my boys the art of owning there own business, so they can follow in my foot steps one day, and supply for there families...and remember that I have to be fully funded or Doobie's Dog House will remain a dream, So I invite you to share in my passion for food and service to the wonderful people of my city....thank you in advance for your support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyPitbull
Dec 10, 2005
Awww....look how OHMYGODMYHAND!

Requested_Username posted:

Ding ding ding!

That sound was the $4k milestone being passed!

I'm glad this thread got mod approval, this guy was already coming off as determined and grounded. That combined with the religious devotion to thanking each person for their donation/comments plus and the info from the SA mods he's talking to makes this one hell of a feel good project to support.

Assuming this gets funded the real gut-check is going to be a year from now and seeing how Doobie's Dog House is doing then. Especially given all the demographic stats Noni has been providing.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
This is how I picture him right now

D-d-dad, another $3000!

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

T-man posted:

I'm surprised nobody posted his (on Kickstarter, open to public) bio. It's basically :3: ^ 2.

The inability to distinguish between their and there only makes it more genuine

ChubbyPitbull
Dec 10, 2005

Requested_Username posted:

I can't think of a better way to make him hate us faster than to invite him to post with us.

Agreed, probably not a good idea to unmask Santa and ruin the magic for either side.

chapstickie
Apr 30, 2011

Novo posted:

The frog is primarily famous because it is whimsical and absurd; as an internet phenomenon it's a perfect symbol for "trolling with kindness". With that in mind, donors shouldn't take advantage of his gratitude. Personally I think a "Something Awful" hotdog with everything on it would be a great gimmick, whereas the "Frog Dog" seems kind of...risky. Anyway, "The community of a comedy site called Something Awful occasionally performs random acts of kindness" is a way easier story to tell than "so, there's this stuffed frog..."

In for $10 for now.

I don't think the explanation really needs to be that in depth. The nice thing about the frog is that it lets people here have their fun without making this guy and his religious nature uncomfortable like him coming here probably would. This website is great and sometimes does really nice things for people but it's not really for mainstream consumption. The frog thing is perfect I think.

"There was a group of people on the internet who wanted to help me and this is their sign."

Perfect.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

SoundMonkey posted:

I'd say a shitload of relish, maybe a bit of slaw, and just enough mustard to make it a proper hotdog.

Relish and slaw sounds good, but I think some nice crispy shoestring potatoes would go a long way, too. Give it a little crunch, make it seem like frog's legs?

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
I don't really think the dude should do anything at all to recognize SA. The idea of donating is that you want to help someone out, not to have a laugh about the hidden meaning behind the names of future menu items. I love SA but this guy is a 45 y/o Southerner just trying to scratch something out, not one of the dudes from Gamer Meetup Night. Just rig some more internet polls or something if you want to be funny with a Goonrush.

Sorry to be a buzzkill :shobon:

ChubbyPitbull
Dec 10, 2005
Someone asked him how he got on Kickstarter:

Claude Wayne Robinson posted:

Y'all can call me Wayne ..to answer ur question... I was so frustrated about how I was going to repair the roof on my vending trailor that I asked Steve shialable a hotdog guy in the Chicago area .. He suggested kickstarter. Then I realised I can finish the inside of a new kitchen building for about the same cost. So I started dreaming big... Thanks to all the wonderful people here the dream is about to happen.... I'm so excited... Steve is at hotdog profits. Com

:911: This guy.

Why am I so emotionally invested in some guy's hot dog shack.

EDIT:

Rubies posted:

I don't really think the dude should do anything at all to recognize SA. The idea of donating is that you want to help someone out, not to have a laugh about the hidden meaning behind the names of future menu items. I love SA but this guy is a 45 y/o Southerner just trying to scratch something out, not one of the dudes from Gamer Meetup Night. Just rig some more internet polls or something if you want to be funny with a Goonrush.

I agree with you, part of my interest for this project is having this guy take his earnestness and honesty and see the kind of business he develops. I don't think having the Frog up as one of his $500-tier ad rewards is pushing it too far, and speculating on a FrogDog is good fun/up to Wayne if he wants it on the menu. The impression I got from people talking about offering menu templates, logo work, promotional photos, etc. were more along the lines of offering him some more professional services he could take advantage of to implement his ideas, as opposed to dropping an SA grenade/Get Out Frog everywhere and having a hotdog for every subforum. I hope.

ChubbyPitbull fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 26, 2013

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

ChubbyPitbull posted:

I love that there's a hotdogprofits dot com
http://hotdogprofits.com/

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Chicago hot dog guys know their poo poo

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ChubbyPitbull posted:

http://hotdogprofits.com/blog/help-a-future-hot-dog-slinger/

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013
Like I said in the Kickstarter thread, all I wanted to do was help a guy make his dreams come true and thats all that went through my mind when I donated. As far as recognition I'd be perfectly fine with a picture of :frog: hanging behind the counter, maybe even a named item on the list, but nothing more. It's his dream and we're just helping him achieve it.

EDIT: V :kimchi: Serve on Doobie, serve on.

Peruser fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 26, 2013

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

quote:

Wayne robinson
Thanks Steve … I’ve got 2 backers so far… This is so exciting… I can’t wait til I can serve my version of the best hotdog in the south…

:kiddo:

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Rubies posted:

I fully agree with this post but at the same time the guy seems genuinely floored by the support and might not mind commemorating it in some fashion. If we offer ideas, they should be reasonable (i.e. not mountain dew marinade)

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Oh wow, that Sept 18 is certainly heartbreaking.

quote:

i want to say thank you to my backers on this project so far.. u believed and put ur money up for my project, so thank you... as of now i have less than 14 days left and only 1% funded.. i really need ur help to get the word out so we can bring in more backers...i have flooded the internet with my project link but im not seeing any results... i must be going about this all wrong or something... any idea's? love to hear from you..
:ohdear:

Then suddenly... GOOOONS!

quote:

Thanks to my last 2 backers for your pledges.. i'm very grateful... got a long way to go with only 7 days to do it... 236 more backers at $25.00 is all it will take...
:woop:

jerichojx fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 26, 2013

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

I'm sorry Jack, I didn't hear you, what was that you were saying?! :frogout:

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0
change my name to hot dog profits dot com

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I don't exactly have $10 to spare but I couldn't help myself. I don't particularly care about any SA inside jokes - I just like helping a guy reach his goals. :unsmith:

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I just realized that he probably already knows where we're from if he uses his Project Dashboard at all. Under the stats it shows a list of referral sites along with the total percentage pledged. The Dropsy KS had something like 24% from "forums.somethingawful.com" - so unless he never looks there, he has to be onto us.

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Sep 26, 2013

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
Someone just suggested naming the new hot dog the Something Awful instead of Frog Dog. He probably knows by now. Hopefully, he won't think we're mocking him when he sees that it's a comedy site.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

ChubbyPitbull posted:

I agree with you, part of my interest for this project is having this guy take his earnestness and honesty and see the kind of business he develops. I don't think having the Frog up as one of his $500-tier ad rewards is pushing it too far, and speculating on a FrogDog is good fun/up to Wayne if he wants it on the menu. The impression I got from people talking about offering menu templates, logo work, promotional photos, etc. were more along the lines of offering him some more professional services he could take advantage of to implement his ideas, as opposed to dropping an SA grenade/Get Out Frog everywhere and having a hotdog for every subforum. I hope.

Honestly, everyone here has been really good so far about not taking things too far and making it completely about us. The frog graphic is only going to be there for a year, and from what I can tell, the "frog dog" was entirely Wayne's idea as a way to commemorate that frog group who helped make his dream a reality.

Meanwhile I'm sitting over here riding high on all the warm fuzzies I'm getting. :3:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Pledged 15 to this man's awesome dream and holy crap I am so hungry for hotdogs right now

EDIT: VV Those look so good right now VV

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 26, 2013

Larz
Jul 29, 2011
Doobie inspired me to visit my local hot dog stand for lunch. Here is what I had today from Jim of Jim's Ol' Time Hot Dogs.

Jim has been making hot dogs for many years and doing pretty well for himself. It's his full time job and he loves it. Follow your dreams Claude.

chapstickie
Apr 30, 2011

contrapants posted:

Someone just suggested naming the new hot dog the Something Awful instead of Frog Dog. He probably knows by now. Hopefully, he won't think we're mocking him when he sees that it's a comedy site.

That was a terrible idea. :( I hope he's so excited about his dream coming true that he doesn't have any time to worry if everyone is just going to pull their help. Maybe he'll be funded by tomorrow.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

chapstickie posted:

That was a terrible idea. :( I hope he's so excited about his dream coming true that he doesn't have any time to worry if everyone is just going to pull their help. Maybe he'll be funded by tomorrow.

At this rate I'm pretty by this time tomorrow he's gonna have his funding and than some. I wonder with this being on the front page if we're gonna attract non-goons to help him too :3:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Just upped my pledge to $25. Hope he lives happily ever after. :3: I loved the Dog and Suds drive-in when I was growing up, and Reform, Alabama needs one, too.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Pledged 15 to this man's awesome dream and holy crap I am so hungry for hotdogs right now

EDIT: VV Those look so good right now VV

Celebratory hot dogs being eaten tomorrow at our house. Seriously, I am looking at being laid off this week and this hot dog deal is making my day after lots of poo poo news.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Just donated to the cause. Seems like a simple goal which he's realistic about, and sounds like some goon generosity will go a long way in helping him. It doesn't sound like he's really asking for anything above the absolute necessities. With money pouring in he'll have to think up some stretch goals!

edit: I'm sure if he's talking to SoundMonkey, Claude knows all about the thread and the origins of Team Frogout.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 26, 2013

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

$4,240. I wonder if this will be funded when I wake up tomorrow. I had doubts at $1,600 but holy poo poo. As far as keeping tabs on the Team Frogout... are most if not all of the donations from SA these last two days? Also, he should just call the Team Frogout Dog the Frogdog. Rolls off the tongue better.

This all kinda reminds me of the Mermaid Shelly thread.

Edit: drat this thread is moving fast.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Larz posted:

Doobie inspired me to visit my local hot dog stand for lunch. Here is what I had today from Jim of Jim's Ol' Time Hot Dogs.

Jim has been making hot dogs for many years and doing pretty well for himself. It's his full time job and he loves it. Follow your dreams Claude.

You know, I'm going to be near a place that sells hot dogs when I'm out for lunch tomorrow. Maybe I'll try ordering one with chili and extra relish and enjoy my own frog dog. :yum:

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
Here's a thing:

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

sporklift posted:

$4,240. I wonder if this will be funded when I wake up tomorrow. I had doubts at $1,600 but holy poo poo. As far as keeping tabs on the Team Frogout... are most if not all of the donations from SA these last two days? Also, he should just call the Team Frogout Dog the Frogdog. Rolls off the tongue better.

This all kinda reminds me of the Mermaid Shelly thread.

I was the second or third backer, and I can't find anything anywhere else on the internet. I'm pretty certain it's just us and his wife. :3:

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013

Dr. VooDoo posted:

At this rate I'm pretty by this time tomorrow he's gonna have his funding and than some. I wonder with this being on the front page if we're gonna attract non-goons to help him too :3:

I'm still laughing at the image of his hotdogs mixed in with artsy pictures on the frontpage.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Atoramos posted:

Just donated to the cause. Seems like a simple goal which he's realistic about, and sounds like some goon generosity will go a long way in helping him. It doesn't sound like he's really asking for anything above the absolute necessities. With money pouring in he'll have to think up some stretch goals!

His stretch goal is to live his dream and be happy making the best hotdogs in the south. That's all I want out of this :unsmith:

panictheory
Aug 9, 2006

I know hot dogs are terrible for me, but I loving love them. Gave 10 bucks to doobie's hope he makes the mark!

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

His stretch goal is to live his dream and be happy making the best hotdogs in the south. That's all I want out of this :unsmith:

That sounds like a good stretch goal, but the next teir goal gets us the best hotdogs in the world.

The Frogdog is already the best hotdog in the world

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Gaspy Conana posted:

I just realized that he probably already knows where we're from if he uses his Project Dashboard at all. Under the stats it shows a list of referral sites along with the total percentage pledged. The Dropsy KS had something like 24% from "forums.somethingawful.com" - so unless he never looks there, he has to be onto us.

Didn't the OP state he is in contact with Wayne as a liaison for SA? Obviously we should not encourage him to post here but between that and the frog I'm confused as to how anyone could think that the SA connection would be hard to make.

nightchild12
Jan 8, 2005
hi i'm sexy

The personalized responses to every single backer's comments are just amazing.

He responded to me by name and I felt something in my blackened, shriveled soul lift itself up in warmth for a brief moment.

Seriously hope he does make more than his goal, and doesn't spend it on stretch goals or other stuff - his comment on hotdogprofits.com about having 3 weeks worth of food costs set aside is a bit worrying to me. The guy he was responding to was dead right about under-capitalization being a huge issue, especially in the restaurant business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Novo posted:

Didn't the OP state he is in contact with Wayne as a liaison for SA? Obviously we should not encourage him to post here but I'm confused as to how anyone could think that the SA connection would be hard to make.

I'm pretty sure he was just doing it under the Team Frogout banner, not SA.

• Locked thread