Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

azflyboy posted:

You're forgetting that the F-22 generated lots of jobs for lobbyists and millions in campaign contributions/bribes for members of Congress, which is the most important mission any major defense project will ever undertake.

Well someone is making money upgrading A-10As to A-10Cs and building new wing sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

holocaust bloopers posted:

Or the C-5 that carries poo poo from point A to point B or shoves it out in the sky between A or B.

Ahem, the C-5 is both cargo carrying and a mobile ICBM platform integral to our nuclear umbrella responsibilities and a crucial part of our national defense :colbert:

e- put dual Avengers in a chin turret, make an A-5, multiple MOAB's inside for CAS

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 25, 2013

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
An AC-5 would be absolutely magical. :allears:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
With a belly launched Predator.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
And a Starbucks.

What? They'll have room.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

azflyboy posted:

You're forgetting that the F-22 generated lots of jobs for lobbyists and millions in campaign contributions/bribes for members of Congress, which is the most important mission any major defense project will ever undertake.

Yeah, but the F-22 actually has a primary mission that it's pretty good at.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Yes but people can get dizzy off Bud Light and it's still being manufactured.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Saga posted:

Including the RAF, a major operator. So presumably the problem is they can't afford to pay anyone to put it back together rather than that there are no retired Phantom techs anywhere in the midlands.

Yes, between the RAF and the Fleet Air Arm there are bound to be lots of people who could do it.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Just (at night) saw a bunch of V-22s fly by, low, over my neighborhood in NYC. The green-light tipped rotors are pretty otherworldly in person.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Time for fighter drones.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/09/24/225846750/watch-first-pilotless-f-16-fighter-jet

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

...except, they're not.

Everyone is freaking the gently caress out about "robot F-16s will kill us all:ohdear:", when in reality they're just targets with basically no capabilities beyond some basic maneuvering.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

^ Using the same tech we've been using since the '60s to do the same drat thing. There's a big difference between flying that thing 60 miles from its ground station over the coast of Florida and doing a much more complicated version of the same thing from a couple thousand miles away with an enemy trying to jam/spoof your data link.

Advent Horizon posted:

Yes but people can get dizzy off Bud Light and it's still being manufactured.

If that had anything to do with the F-22 production being curtailed, you'd have a point.

But let's all remember, the F-22 was killed off because of the affordable F-35's ability to back it up in the air-to-air role. That same F-35 that now costs about 80% of an F-22.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Godholio posted:

^ Using the same tech we've been using since the '60s to do the same drat thing. There's a big difference between flying that thing 60 miles from its ground station over the coast of Florida and doing a much more complicated version of the same thing from a couple thousand miles away with an enemy trying to jam/spoof your data link.

If that had anything to do with the F-22 production being curtailed, you'd have a point.

But let's all remember, the F-22 was killed off because of the affordable F-35's ability to back it up in the air-to-air role. That same F-35 that now costs about 80% of an F-22.

Was F-22 tooling destroyed?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
No.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/12/13/us-fighter-usa-lockheed-idUSTRE7BC09T20111213

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
*ahem*
Airborne laser are overrated.

There, I summoned Grover.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
They had per-unit cost coming down pretty hard and spiral development only ever got started because of the order decrease right? Man, procurement...

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
Re: the A-10, I was thinking we could get much better footage these days than those old GAU-8 weapon tests on Youtube, and that gave me an idea...

The A-10 could have the Best Retirement Party Ever. In addition to all the usual ceremonies the Air Force would do, they could do this:

First, the AF park a bunch of old tanks and hardware in the desert, for a proper demonstration. Also out in the desert is...

... a bunch of random poo poo the Internet bids to have shot up for charity - a big kiddie pool full of jello! 1000 Microsoft Surfaces all showing a picture of Ballmer! On the Jello! A Ford Pinto with a full tank of gas! - sponsors can put up items for charity bidding, people can offer their own for enough dosh.

Plaster it all with webcams and gopros, and then... use up all the remaining ammo in glorious hi-def slo mo. Cams on and in the planes too of course, with the flight controllers, the whole experience. Live TV, tons of footage posted to a Youtube channel, DVD's, merch, etc, all for good causes. Sell all the expended brass for charity too. Plenty of opportunity to talk about the real mission and whatnot, and how the goofy stuff is just for charities. When it's all done, a formation flies off into the sunset...

After a show like that, no one will ever, ever forget that aircraft. :black101:

What would you all want out on the range, and what would you bid to have it pummeled with 30 Mike?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

*ahem*

how many sheets of drywall can a laser burn through in a second?

I imagine it depends on whether or not its load-bearing

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Well, that's some relief I guess.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Schindler's Fist posted:

Re: the A-10, I was thinking we could get much better footage these days than those old GAU-8 weapon tests on Youtube, and that gave me an idea...

The A-10 could have the Best Retirement Party Ever. In addition to all the usual ceremonies the Air Force would do, they could do this:

First, the AF park a bunch of old tanks and hardware in the desert, for a proper demonstration. Also out in the desert is...

... a bunch of random poo poo the Internet bids to have shot up for charity - a big kiddie pool full of jello! 1000 Microsoft Surfaces all showing a picture of Ballmer! On the Jello! A Ford Pinto with a full tank of gas! - sponsors can put up items for charity bidding, people can offer their own for enough dosh.

Plaster it all with webcams and gopros, and then... use up all the remaining ammo in glorious hi-def slo mo. Cams on and in the planes too of course, with the flight controllers, the whole experience. Live TV, tons of footage posted to a Youtube channel, DVD's, merch, etc, all for good causes. Sell all the expended brass for charity too. Plenty of opportunity to talk about the real mission and whatnot, and how the goofy stuff is just for charities. When it's all done, a formation flies off into the sunset...

After a show like that, no one will ever, ever forget that aircraft. :black101:

What would you all want out on the range, and what would you bid to have it pummeled with 30 Mike?

This sounds like a way more hardcore version of that Letterman bit where random objects were flattened with a steamroller.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

*ahem*

Is it even possible to mount the guts for an effective airborne laser in the F-35's gaping fail-hole? Seriously, is that technology even going to be available before the the airframes expire? Or are we going to have to install spooling extension cords on all F-35's to actually power their "PEW-PEW" weaponry.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Blistex posted:

Is it even possible to mount the guts for an effective airborne laser in the F-35's gaping fail-hole? Seriously, is that technology even going to be available before the the airframes expire? Or are we going to have to install spooling extension cords on all F-35's to actually power their "PEW-PEW" weaponry.

Look, Northrop Grumman says that an F-35 pilot only needs to point at the red dots representing the bad guys on the helmet mounted display then the laser will kill it. Would Northrop Grumman over state the capabilities of a defense weapon system in any way?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Blistex posted:

Actually I'd be surprised if there's not some kind of actual airframe testing within the next 5-10 years. The tech has come a long way in the past few years. But that's still 5-10 years to start testing, then probably 3-5 before a purchase order is made, then 25 to actually build/install the hardware in the F-35, then we'll be retiring the aircraft because they're too expensive to maintain and replacing them with 68 six-gen fighter-bomber-cargo-tankers.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Godholio posted:

Actually I'd be surprised if there's not some kind of actual airframe testing within the next 5-10 years. The tech has come a long way in the past few years. But that's still 5-10 years to start testing, then probably 3-5 before a purchase order is made, then 25 to actually build/install the hardware in the F-35, then we'll be retiring the aircraft because they're too expensive to maintain and replacing them with 68 six-gen fighter-bomber-cargo-tankers.

Now by airframe testing, do you mean they put a toy phaser in the hole and assume that someone is going to make an actual working one soon?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Godholio posted:

Is that you, Dale Brown?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Koesj posted:

They had per-unit cost coming down pretty hard and spiral development only ever got started because of the order decrease right? Man, procurement...

Yup. Also some aspects of spiral development that got indefinitely postponed/all but canceled were only cut because of...the F-35.

hobbesmaster posted:

Look, Northrop Grumman says that an F-35 pilot only needs to point at the red dots representing the bad guys on the helmet mounted display then the laser will kill it. Would Northrop Grumman over state the capabilities of a defense weapon system in any way?

"DAS will render maneuvering irrelevant."

-NG c. 2008.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

This happens to all old fighters. We must have run out of Phantoms now.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

drgitlin posted:

This happens to all old fighters. We must have run out of Phantoms now.

IIRC the last Phantom drone was shot down earlier this year.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Godholio posted:

Then again even if airplane based lasers truly are the next big thing, wouldn't the F35 be outclassed by a purpose built laser plane? Dump all the fancy missile and maneuvering stuff and just fit the biggest , fastest, longest range laser.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

AlexanderCA posted:

Then again even if airplane based lasers truly are the next big thing, wouldn't the F35 be outclassed by a purpose built laser plane? Dump all the fancy missile and maneuvering stuff and just fit the biggest , fastest, longest range laser.

polished metal fuselages are the new new stealth.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AlexanderCA posted:

Well, what grover and Lockheed Martin are excited about is since the F-35's engine has what amounts to a giant power take off for the F-35B's lift fan they can possibly put a giant generator there for the laser in the F-35A/C.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Blistex posted:

Now by airframe testing, do you mean they put a toy phaser in the hole and assume that someone is going to make an actual working one soon?

Well, they do work. It's a matter of continuing to miniaturize them.

AlexanderCA posted:

Yup. But first you have to build something that shoots and flies, and it's a lot easier to work out the problems and build TTPs with an existing platform. They don't design a new airliner every time someone develops a new engine. Hell, look how awful the F-86 looked when they started grafting radars on the front.

Linedance posted:

polished metal fuselages are the new new stealth.

Good luck. Sexy as gently caress, though.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

God drat that's hot.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

hobbesmaster posted:

Well, what grover and Lockheed Martin are excited about is since the F-35's engine has what amounts to a giant power take off for the F-35B's lift fan they can possibly put a giant generator there for the laser in the F-35A/C.

And the -B couldn't install it thus proving again the F-35B is a useless piece of poo poo.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Godholio posted:

Well, they do work. It's a matter of continuing to miniaturize them.

So all the F-35 has to wait for is a laser package that can fit in its lovely crevice, that it can lift and actually fly more than a mile with, that has a range long enough that it's not destroyed by a missile or gunfire because it doesn't have time to react, and can shoot more than once and not catch on fire or cause the engine to stall.

I wouldn't be holding my breath.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Blistex posted:

So all the F-35 has to wait for is a laser package that can fit in its lovely crevice, that it can lift and actually fly more than a mile with, that has a range long enough that it's not destroyed by a missile or gunfire because it doesn't have time to react, and can shoot more than once and not catch on fire or cause the engine to stall.

I wouldn't be holding my breath.

You underestimate the power of politicians pursuing silly projects in an effort to create jobs.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Chevron-cut engine fairings are so 90s futuristic it's amazing.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I have a question that you folks can probably answer:

I know that on prop planes, at least with rotary engines (from WWI games), that the planes tended to roll faster in the direction of the direction that the prop was spinning due to torque or what have you. I seem to remember reading that counter-rotating propellers, like on the P-38, eliminated this. I assume that this effect was present on regular piston engined planes as well?

Anyway, using this as a baseline, do jets also experience this sort of effect? As such, do the engines on one side of a multi-engined jet spin one way while the opposite on the other side? What about jets with 3 engines? This all started bothering me when I was trying to fall asleep last night!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

Now with more front end grip.
All jets of the same model will rotate in the same direction; there are no "handed" engines. Some turboprops, such as on the A400M will have gearboxes to make a prop turn one direction or another in order to have contra-rotation, but the turbo machinery will be identical.

Torque effects from a jet engine are negligible in the frame of the aircraft. Airflow entering the engine is straight, and although there are large amounts of swirl imparted to the air inside the engine, practically all of it is straightened out by the time the air exits the engine. Spinning assemblies ride on bearings which won't transmit torque loads to the airframe either.

There will be slightly gyroscopic effects due to the rotating parts, but these are generally small as compared to the dynamic forces on the rest of the airframe.

Understeer fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 26, 2013