Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Preoptopus posted:

Lug studs all day huh? How awful.

Yep. That socket has held up better to it than i have!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Mooseykins posted:

Yep. That socket has held up better to it than i have!

Thank you sir!

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I pretty much wore out my lovely rattlegun trying to undo wheel nuts put on by a gorilla. Now I just use the socket, a breaker bar, a jack handle and if need be a big bit of hardwood lashed to the jack handle to give me a few extra meters of leverage. Nothing like seeing a wheel turning on concrete trying to crack a wheel nut.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

General_Failure posted:

I pretty much wore out my lovely rattlegun trying to undo wheel nuts put on by a gorilla. Now I just use the socket, a breaker bar, a jack handle and if need be a big bit of hardwood lashed to the jack handle to give me a few extra meters of leverage. Nothing like seeing a wheel turning on concrete trying to crack a wheel nut.

I have a 36" 3/4"-drive breaker bar, a few times i've had wheels spin on concrete while trying to break wheel nuts and hub nuts loose, have to get someone to stand on the brake!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Mooseykins posted:

I have a 36" 3/4"-drive breaker bar, a few times i've had wheels spin on concrete while trying to break wheel nuts and hub nuts loose, have to get someone to stand on the brake!

I broke a dodge 2500 front axle nut loose last week using a harbor freight 3/4" breaker bar... was spinning the tire on dirt with the full weight of the truck on it, had no one to stand on the brakes. So I carefully arranged my 4 foot cheater pipe so it wouldn't pop the socket off the nut and then jumped on the fucker. Came right off.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Quality 3/4" drive ratchets are where it's at. I don't think I've had to add much for extra leverage with my big Jet one. I've got the standard 3' breaker bar too. I rarely use it since the ratcheting feature of my other 3/4" is usually more useful.

(1/4", 1/4", 3/8", 3/8", 1/2", 1/2", 3/4" and 3/4")

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I was breaking 1/2" breaker bars literally every day I used them, and not getting the job done, so I upgraded to the cheapest 3/4" breaker I could find. Breaking a tool is fine if it gets the job done, but if it doesn't, it's just frustrating and means time to upgrade.

Zero complaints :black101:

e: I am going to need metal lathe tooling soon, what am I looking at for prices on, say, a tool post, a parting/cutoff tool, general cutting tools, a boring bar, and anything else I need to use the boring bar?

Used or new, preferably used. And what specific things should I look for?

kastein fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 17, 2013

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
You just love to lay out your thick steel for all to see don't you sock?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Jared592 posted:

You wouldn't have it any other way. ;)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Jared592 posted:

All 3.75 inches of it.

Girth, that is.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I have a tool related question.

I went to tackle some of the grease points on the Niva yesterday. Namely one on the rear propshaft which just had a plug which had a 7/16" bolt head and what seemed to be a bsp thread. I had a poo poo of a time with the nipple I bought. Its thread didn't seem to be long enough so it didn't engage properly before it bottomed out, but it was enough for me to pump the grease in and re-plug it. First question. Are there nipples with different thread lengths?

Second question. Are different sized nipples a thing? My grease gun only sort of engaged on the pre-existing ones and when I tried to pump grease in all it did was spurt out around them. Are there different heads available or something? This is a bit of a problem.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

General_Failure posted:

Are different sized nipples a thing? My grease gun only sort of engaged on the pre-existing ones and when I tried to pump grease in all it did was spurt out around them. Are there different heads available or something? This is a bit of a problem.

Not so sure about this, but one ball usually hangs lower - if that helps..

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

West SAAB Story posted:

Not so sure about this, but one ball usually hangs lower - if that helps..

Checked my pants. Confirmed.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

General_Failure posted:

I have a tool related question.

I went to tackle some of the grease points on the Niva yesterday. Namely one on the rear propshaft which just had a plug which had a 7/16" bolt head and what seemed to be a bsp thread. I had a poo poo of a time with the nipple I bought. Its thread didn't seem to be long enough so it didn't engage properly before it bottomed out, but it was enough for me to pump the grease in and re-plug it. First question. Are there nipples with different thread lengths?

Second question. Are different sized nipples a thing? My grease gun only sort of engaged on the pre-existing ones and when I tried to pump grease in all it did was spurt out around them. Are there different heads available or something? This is a bit of a problem.

Last time I was at the ol' hardware store I did notice a whole drawer full of different grease zerks, perhaps look for that and do a little test fit there?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

StormDrain posted:

Last time I was at the ol' hardware store I did notice a whole drawer full of different grease zerks, perhaps look for that and do a little test fit there?

That's interesting. Shame I can't remove the other ones that are already on the vehicle to do a size comparison. I suspect most of the lube points on the car are drier than an 80 year old hooker but can't get grease in because of these smaller than normal size thingers.

e: I see what you mean. You're talking about the thread issue. It's maybe 10 or 20000km before I have to worry about that again so I've bought a little time.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

General_Failure posted:

A slight difference in nipple sizes is perfectly normal..

(The 2 UJ's on the back prop of my landrover are obviously a different make to the 2 on the front prop as my grease gun works perfectly on the front ones but I have to fight to get it to stay on the back ones. You can buy the nipples separately over here)

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I found some micrometers at a local garage sale last weekend. The guy selling them didn't know what he had, so I bought them... and a snowblower.

I paid $30 for all three.

The B&S one is .. for lack of a better word... tight. And it gets tigher as I pull the spindle out, around .8 it becomes worryingly tight. I'm not sure the cause yet. The Starett ones are just fine though.

I'm kinda excited. I've not owned anything more accurate than half a thou until I bought these.

PS: Like my 1970's speckled countertop?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

General_Failure posted:

That's interesting. Shame I can't remove the other ones that are already on the vehicle to do a size comparison. I suspect most of the lube points on the car are drier than an 80 year old hooker but can't get grease in because of these smaller than normal size thingers.

e: I see what you mean. You're talking about the thread issue. It's maybe 10 or 20000km before I have to worry about that again so I've bought a little time.

Well 10km isn't very far.

Also you have reminded me that I need to find a very small bodied grease gun coupler so I can actually fit it in some U-Joints.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Speaking of which I finally found a needle style grease gun tip so I can grease the trunnions on my alloyUSA axle ujoints. Tractor supplu co has it in the automotive/towing section.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Should be like $30-$40 tops to get those mics calibrated, I recommend that you do that just for peace of mind.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I am pretty certain my dad has a standard hanging around his shop, so I should be able to do that myself.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
You can calibrate 0-1 mics at the zero point. Same with the depth mic if you have a known flat surface. :science:

The tightness means there is probably corrosion or crud in the screw. It can be disassembled and cleaned/stoned out to fix that.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I've got a chance to get some snap on tools for about half price, can order anything from their online catalog, only thing is I'm stumped as to what to get. I've got a pretty full tool chest so I'm really needing anything in particular, don't have a compressor so haven't looked at air tools but would want to get some eventually.

Most of my stuff is either Canadian tire specials or from sears so not the highest quality stuff. Only thing I can think of is getting a set of ratchets but even there there's so much choice I'm not sure what to go for.

Any idea's what awesome stuff snap on makes that I should get? I don't want to let this opportunity pass by without taking advantage of it somehow.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Bajaha posted:

Any idea's what awesome stuff snap on makes that I should get? I don't want to let this opportunity pass by without taking advantage of it somehow.

Buy all of their ratchets.

You can probably even buy stuff and sell it on for profit.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Mooseykins posted:

Buy all of their ratchets.

You can probably even buy stuff and sell it on for profit.

Seriously. I have a F80 and it is my most used tool.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Buy an FHL80 ratchet, and a THLF72. I use these ratchets more than any of my other snap-on tools by far. Also buy BLPBSS40.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 29, 2013

plscks
Apr 3, 2011

Push the envelope. Watch it bend.
Let talk Air Needle Scalers! So I've got the B.S. job of scraping rust off of crappy early 2000's Toyota trucks at my shop and spraying them with Corrosion Resistant Compound. Toyota says that I can use a Needle scaler for the scraping process. I looked into the things and found them to be too expensive for me at the time, so naturally I went straight to Harbor Freight for the good stuff!. I initially bought a Central Pneumatic 1108 Air Needle Scaler from them for $70;

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-needle-scaler-1108.html

This thing is the bees knees, it works like magic for pounding the rust off of truck frames and if there is a weak spot, it will find it and punch a nice hole right through the frame ensuring that the customer gets a new frame paid for by Toyota. Cool right?! No. The first one lasted the 4 hours of use on the first frame I used it on, then on the second frame, it totally gave out after about 40 min. Due to just having a crappy day, I ended up throwing it across my bay when it crapped out on me, which broke it further and made it so I couldn't warranty it.

Jump forward to last month. Due to a higher influx of our frame recall, I decided to look into needle scalers again, and again, I found Harbor Freight to be my cheapest option. This time, I found it on sale for $46 and had myself a %20 off coupon. So I drove to the closest Harbor Freight (25 miles or so) and picked another on up with the 1 year replacement warranty for ~$50.

Well, this new one lasted me about 2 hours on a frame and then crapped out on me. After taking it apart, it looks as though it is eating one of it's valves inside and spitting out the metal chunks of it. Anyways, I brought it right back to the store and 2 minutes later walked out with a brand new one from off the shelf. This third one I will be using an inline oiler with which hopefully will prevent it from chewing itself up. Oh, and I'm also running it at the recommended 90psi.

Does anyone have any recommendations on affordable air needle scalers? Or at least any recommendations for how to keep this particular Harbor Freight special from cannibalizing itself after just a few hours? I love this thing, it works wonderful, and makes my life %100 less miserable, the only downside is that it seems to break stupid quick.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

You're supposed to oil them every hour of use or have an in-line oiler.

If that still doesn't do the trick for you, the IR version is under $200. If this is what you do all day, I can't imagine that's too much to spend. In fact, why isn't the shop buying that? It will save them $200 worth of your time pretty quickly.

Edit: you're not pushing down/leaning into it, are you? That will break one pretty quick.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 29, 2013

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
We've run a pair of those harbor freight needle scalers for dozens of hours, never had a problem. Maybe they changed something but the old ones were good. We use them on boat trailers and plow truck frames.

plscks
Apr 3, 2011

Push the envelope. Watch it bend.
The shop really should buy them, but my old service manager was a bum and only got us things that were mandatory for him to get us. And I was oiling them, but not nearly at the frequency that I should have been, I speculate that that caused the malfunctions, but hopefully the inline oiler will solve that problem with my latest one. I also don't press on it at all, that tends to deform the frames and that's no good if I find a hole and we have to warranty a frame, if they see that sort of abuse and damage then we get stuck buying one and I most probably lose my job.

I have been thinking about going the IR route, I have not been disappointed with IR ever in the past, so I really don't see the downside, I'll just have to save for a few weeks and make the jump.

On that note does anyone actually have any experience with the IR needle scalers? I remember seeing an automotive one that looks exactly like the one I've got, and an industrial one that might have had some composite parts or something?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Harbor Freight played a role in the finale of Breaking Bad, I'll get a screen cap when I get home tonight.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I have been impressed by my HF needle scaler but I use it for maybe ten minutes every few weeks.

On the other hand their stupid air nibbler is a pile of poo poo and pissed me off so much (after working great a few times, then repeatedly jamming for absolutely no reason) that I threw it across the yard, which ended in it not really being warranteeable. Oh well, I didn't want another of those loving things anyways.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Who makes a decent torque wrench? Looking for something that I can use occasionally to torque my lugnuts on when I rotate my tires; I'll also use it when I replace the shocks on my wife's car and my brother's car, but that's about it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
The HF torque wrench is pretty drat good bang for the buck. Its been repeatedly shown that its fairly accurate as well. I think if you do some digging a few pages back there is a test on the accuracy.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

QuarkMartial posted:

Who makes a decent torque wrench? Looking for something that I can use occasionally to torque my lugnuts on when I rotate my tires; I'll also use it when I replace the shocks on my wife's car and my brother's car, but that's about it.

For wheels, just about any click-type wrench that goes to about 120-150 lb-ft and wasn't bought on DealExtreme should be fine as long as you don't go for the absolute cheapest you can find. You want it to have the torque you actually need around the middle of its range for the best precision, most wheels are tightened to about 75 lb-ft for alloy wheels. Doesn't matter if it's 5% off , really, just err a tiny bit on the tight side, like 80 lb-ft instead of 75. People change wheels all the time without torque wrenches, but it's always nice to know that things are tightened to the correct specification.

Most torque wrenches are actually less than 5% off, even the cheap ones.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

BrokenKnucklez posted:

The HF torque wrench is pretty drat good bang for the buck. Its been repeatedly shown that its fairly accurate as well. I think if you do some digging a few pages back there is a test on the accuracy.

Cool. I'll check it out.

KozmoNaut posted:

For wheels, just about any click-type wrench that goes to about 120-150 lb-ft and wasn't bought on DealExtreme should be fine as long as you don't go for the absolute cheapest you can find. You want it to have the torque you actually need around the middle of its range for the best precision, most wheels are tightened to about 75 lb-ft for alloy wheels. Doesn't matter if it's 5% off , really, just err a tiny bit on the tight side, like 80 lb-ft instead of 75. People change wheels all the time without torque wrenches, but it's always nice to know that things are tightened to the correct specification.

Most torque wrenches are actually less than 5% off, even the cheap ones.

Gotcha. I agree that it's nice knowing things are tightened properly. For my own vehicle I don't care too much, but I'd still like to do it properly. Planning to work on my brother's car, and since he 1) has no car knowledge and doesn't care to learn a whole lot and 2) lives three hours away, I'd like to torque them down properly so I'm not worried about him wrecking because of me.

E: I also wanted to ask, what size drive would be the best for general use? I'm thinking 1/2" as 3/8" might be a little undersized for lug nuts.

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 30, 2013

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

QuarkMartial posted:

E: I also wanted to ask, what size drive would be the best for general use? I'm thinking 1/2" as 3/8" might be a little undersized for lug nuts.

You should really have both, as well as an inch-pound 1/4 for general work. But if your main concern is lug nuts, yes...get the 1/2" first. A 3/8" will not typically go high enough for lug nuts and things like crank bolts.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
I just bought a CDI 1/2" primarily for wheel lugs, but it goes as low as 20 ft/lbs so it should be useful for other things as well, if it a bit large. CDI was pretty universally recommended around the web, and I guess they are owned by Snap-On now? Either way, I wanted to get something that would last a good long time instead of going cheap, but we'll see...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Phone posted:

Harbor Freight played a role in the finale of Breaking Bad, I'll get a screen cap when I get home tonight.

As promised!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Fyi, a local circular has a coupon for any of the HF torque wrenches for $10 each. Might go and grab a set for myself. I can probably snag the details if anyone wants to place an online order.