Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM

Jonny Retro posted:

You also need a level in melee. If you have that then I have no clue.

That explains it then, I had crafting skills but no melee skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Spaceking posted:

That gives me an idea; could they incorporate creep/corruption in any fashion?
This is planned, but it's a difficult task, and there are so many difficult tasks that seem to need to be done first, heh.

The goal is: Triffid hearts and fungus expand and alter areas. Portals will have their own little regions with weird weather and critters and some of them will get larger over time resulting in larger areas and the core of the region will turn into a sort of alien hellhole of various types. Ant and bee colonies will occasionally send out colonists to form new ones, after growing to a certain size. Zombies will mutate and become more dangerous over time, and as zombie masters appear, will begin to form large zombie mobs that roam from place to place hunting for survivors.

Now we just need someone to implement them.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Are there any plans for Hell Holes? I only found one once, and had to slowly tunnel through about ten squares with Sonic Resonator to reach it. It was so disappointing when I realized it was just a cool looking hole I couldn't do anything with.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

What happened with the Kickstarter? Did anything besides tiles get implemented with the money?

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

TOOT BOOT posted:

What happened with the Kickstarter? Did anything besides tiles get implemented with the money?

The schedule for full-time employment of the guy being paid to work on Catalcysm ends in November.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Started a game and on world gen it told me it couldn't find a shelter to place me and dumped me in the middle of a field. Decided to roll with it because what the hell. Not having that crowbar right out of the gate sucks. With nothing but heavy sticks and rocks for tools and no sign of a town in the area initially uncovered I decided to follow along and shed my clothing. Werefrog the Ape-man will forage for berries and apples and drink from the placid streams, scaring other survivors with glimpses of himself lurking within the treeline as a side job. It will be a calm, peaceful life, one with nature until the moose come.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Welp, I lost a reasonably developed character when I decided to burn a pile of corpses instead of chop them up as usual. I guess one of them had a grenade or something, because it was instant explosion and death.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Anyone else finding vehicle damage to be really quite silly lately? I can't run over a simple shrub, and I think adding hard plating to my car has made me more susceptible to damage. I broke my kitchen unit, welding rig and both solar panels with a fairly minor tap against another car when I was trying to ease my way around it.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
I saw a mound of dirt and decided to dig it up, but it turned out to be a landmine. after that I decided to see how many landmines I needed to step on in a row in order to die. It was a lot. Like 7 or 8. Why is that? I did have steel toe boots on.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Belasarius posted:

I saw a mound of dirt and decided to dig it up, but it turned out to be a landmine. after that I decided to see how many landmines I needed to step on in a row in order to die. It was a lot. Like 7 or 8. Why is that? I did have steel toe boots on.

The boots probably helped, I think with them fully reinforced you get close to Kevlar vest protection for your feet. I don't have a vest currently in game to check, but my boots give 50 bash and 50 cut protection, and I believe a Kevlar vest gives 60 protection each. It still takes a couple of land mines to kill you, but I'm honestly not sure if it's because they're just weak, or if they happen to attack your legs first or something like that.

It wouldn't surprise if they're intended to wreck your legs instead of killing you in game, since that's what land mines are designed for in real life. Having even a single broken limb in the game is a huge handicap and basically a death sentence if your not a bad enough dude to fight your way through a hospital.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

They mostly apply damage to your feet, and some of the higher-tier boots have ridiculous protection values.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
is there an up to date basic survival guide? I'm having trouble getting lots of clean water.

Thumbs Up Dude
Aug 25, 2006
Is there a fork/mod for this game that removes all the creepy furry/sexual stuff? I mean, why would you even include stuff like fursuits in a game like this?

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Belasarius posted:

is there an up to date basic survival guide? I'm having trouble getting lots of clean water.

Just get two bottles and a hotplate. Fill one bottle from a toilet or whatever then purify it in the craft menu.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Grab as many gallon jugs as you can, empty them and fill all but one with toilet or river water. Alternatively, put some around your shelter and activate a funnel over them (and hope it doesn't acid rain). Collect rocks around your shelter until you get 43 and build a stone fireplace and stone pot. Throw in some sticks, light them and boil water from your unclean sources and put it into the empty gallon, repeat as needed. You can carry around the gallon of clean stuff or pour it into smaller containers if volume/weight is an issue (waterskins and canteens are a nice middle ground).

Once you find some books to increase your electronics (or hoard a bunch of flashlights, disassemble them and make a bunch of light strips) you can build a water purifier that can clean an entire steel jerrycan for 100 batteries. It won't raise your cooking like boiling water will but it's a lot quicker later in the game when your cooking skill is high enough that the experience isn't needed.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
What are the basic first steps you do every time and what are your favorite character creation choices? The guides all seem to say "Make a knife spear" which doesn't appear to be a recipe for me? Also I'm having trouble getting a pot to boil water in.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Thumbs Up Dude posted:

Is there a fork/mod for this game that removes all the creepy furry/sexual stuff? I mean, why would you even include stuff like fursuits in a game like this?
I honestly could not care less about fursuits. It reads more as a joke than anything else. But the fur/leather collar/cat ears/tail cluttering up the armor crafting menu is a little much.

Belasarius posted:

What are the basic first steps you do every time and what are your favorite character creation choices? The guides all seem to say "Make a knife spear" which doesn't appear to be a recipe for me? Also I'm having trouble getting a pot to boil water in.
Knife spear requires that you have survival 1, which you will get pretty easily by butchering every zombie that you kill. Which is a good idea anyway. Until you make that, you can't go wrong with a crowbar as a weapon - you can easily make one out of a pipe, which you can get by smashing one of the lockers in the survival shelter, and finding a rock to smash it into a crowbar with.

Pots and pans are now mostly found inside cupboards in kitchens. They don't show up unless you specifically check the square, just like refrigerators.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Sep 26, 2013

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Slime posted:

Anyone else finding vehicle damage to be really quite silly lately? I can't run over a simple shrub, and I think adding hard plating to my car has made me more susceptible to damage. I broke my kitchen unit, welding rig and both solar panels with a fairly minor tap against another car when I was trying to ease my way around it.

Vehicle damage is broken in the stable. Basically there was an interrupt when you took damage that stopped all your momentum. As cars can't just run over bushes anymore, it got triggered, making bushes stop you cold. It's starting to get fixed in the experimentals, bushes get rammed over and over till it breaks, your car stops, or your car breaks, and damage is done on location, so you'll take it on the front of your car more than you will on say, the solars in the back.

Strudel Man posted:

I honestly could not care less about fursuits. It reads more as a joke than anything else. But the fur/leather collar/cat ears/tail cluttering up the armor crafting menu is a little much.

Knife spear requires that you have survival 1, which you will get pretty easily by butchering every zombie that you kill. Which is a good idea anyway. Until you make that, you can't go wrong with a crowbar as a weapon - you can easily make one out of a pipe, which you can get by smashing one of the lockers in the survival shelter, and finding a rock to smash it into a crowbar with.

Pots and pans are now mostly found inside cupboards in kitchens. They don't show up unless you specifically check the square, just like refrigerators.

The collar stuff is wierd, but the bondage suits and other stuff? We need more of that. I mean, this is the apocalypse. I should be able to wear some bizarre leather fetish bullshit. If you don't like it, well... The Lord Humungos says to just walk away.

edit: holy poo poo, does the retarded boomerang kid have a tail on? Maybe Cataclysm is an accurate depiction of the post apocalypse.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Sep 26, 2013

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
Thanks, another weird thing I just found is that winter boots are warmer than winter coats.
edit: also when there is a monster on the display but no directional indicator, is there a way to easily see where they are?

Belasarius fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Sep 26, 2013

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Warmth is done by bodypart, so while winter boots may be warmer for your feet, they're not warm at all for your legs and torso. Jackets tend to provide warmth ontop of your shirt and everything else, so have a lower number or you'd be burning up.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

"Retarded boomerang kid"?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Anticheese posted:

"Retarded boomerang kid"?

You know, the kid in the Road Warrior? With the metal boomerang that couldn't speak and was also the narrator?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

You know, the kid in the Road Warrior? With the metal boomerang that couldn't speak and was also the narrator?
Man, I had no idea the boomerang was the narrator of that movie.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Of course, you didn't think the drat mute kid grew up and learned to talk, did you?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
In retrospect, it makes a lot of sense.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

Belasarius posted:

I start by smashing out the windows and breaking half the furniture in the starting shelter. That gives you plenty of 2x4s, nails, sheets and string. Use rocks and sticks to build a stone pot and hammer. Raid the nearest house for water, boil outside with your stone pot. Clear the windowsills then board them up to raise your construction skills. Build a weapon to taste depending on your starting skills and start hunting woodland critters for meat, and eventually sinew and fur. Slowly dig further into town for water and be ready to hightail it through a house and burn it down behind you as a distraction and way to kill large amounts of Z's if the poo poo gets too deep.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Thumbs Up Dude posted:

Because one of the main creators is a furry.

I can't say I mind, really, it looks a bit odd when half my crafting window is full of furry accessories but being able to dress up in stupid poo poo and murder zombies is what makes dead rising the game it is, might as well have it in cataclysm too.

Also as pointed out, it's not the apocalypse without everyone turning into leatherheads.

Belasarius posted:

You should be able to find pots/frying pans in ovens, check every one you find. Also smash a fridge for a rubber hose so you can start siphoning gasoline from cars to make molotovs, they're very useful. A frying pan is better than a pot as it's lighter and also makes a capable melee weapon if you need it to.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 26, 2013

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Frying pans are worse, they can't be used to make chems and such. A pot is only minimally heavier and can be used for anything.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Belasarius posted:

My startup always goes like this: first, check the shelter basement for anything useful. Smash a locker, grab a pipe. Head outside, grab a rock, make a crowbar. Wield the crowbar, smash all of the counters in the shelter, make pointy sticks until you can't anymore. There always seems to be enough material to make enough sticks to get Fabrication to 4. Not totally useful right away, but it's nice for later.

Next priorities are a pot, a couple of gallon jugs, a rubber hose, and a source of water. The first three things can be found in houses, so it's off to town. Finding a house on the outskirts that isn't heavily infested may take a couple of tries; if you run into too many zombies back off and try someplace else. When you finally get inside a house check the kitchen for pots and the kitchen/bathroom for jugs (unload them to pour out the bleach or ammonia or milk). Smash the fridge to get a rubber hose. You probably don't have the carrying capacity to lug all of this stuff at once so you'll have to make a couple of trips.

A source of water is trickier. A river tile (be careful) works, so does a swamp tile (BE CAREFUL!). A sewage treatment plant is fantastic and is usually my top choice for a home base. Once you've found one, and you've got the jugs and a pot, you can light a fire and boil water, providing all the clean water you can drink and putting an end to your most immediate survival problem.

Now for the rubber hose. Find a heavy stick (check forests). Heavy stick + rubber hose = slingshot. Grab rocks, make pebbles (slingshot ammo) and start plinking away at squirrels, crows and rabbits. Butcher them for meat. Go pick up one of your pointy sticks from the shelter or make a new one. With the pointy stick and a fire you can cook meat. Small game is everywhere so there shouldn't be any shortage of meat. And don't forget you can butcher the more hostile animals; even the spiders are big enough to feed you for a day or so, as loving scary as that sounds.

That's pretty much it. Food and water is taken care of so you could pretty much survive indefinitely at this point. What you do next is up to you.

Edit: actually it occurs to me you can probably cook meat with the pot so you don't even really need to grab that pointy stick.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I like making a crowbar, then clearing out the furthermost street and setting up in one of the houses there. If there's a forest nearby you can survive off wild veggies for a while, and once you have two containers of any sort, you can survive off toilet water for a while. If you can clear up a hotel, there's an underground pool, so you can set up a stove next to it and boil water to your heart's content. If you find an aluminium keg, hang on to it, it's the highest volume container in the game, I think.

E: Also, smash a bunch of windows and hang on to the 3 ft strings. If you can't find a backpack or any good containers in the first few days, cut up a sheet and turn it into a couple of pouches. If you can't find a sewing kit, wait until animals start spawning, and you should eventually be able to get a few bones. Turn one into a bone needle, disassemble the strings into thread if you start running out. And if you have the space, hang on to the bones, they don't rot and you can turn them into bone broth in an emergency.

By the way, is there any way to make salt/salt water? It'd be nice to be able to turn some of that extra meat into jerky.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Sep 26, 2013

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

So i just walked out of the shelters with my shower victim to get a rock for my crowbar and there were 7 dead scientists on the road 10 tiles from it. The loot included a power armor and the external gear for it, two nuclear USP , 10+ fully charged teleporters with nuclear batteries on them, a mechanic book and 40+ purify water pills. :cool:

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Are aluminium cans used for much? I have a ton of them left over from my alcoholic survivor and I'd like to do something with them.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

PiCroft posted:

Are aluminium cans used for much? I have a ton of them left over from my alcoholic survivor and I'd like to do something with them.

You can use them with ammonia to make your own batteries! They are super useful in that regard so I will usually pick a house to be the "can house" where I throw all my loose cans and then never come back for them because I die before I learn the recipe.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

PiCroft posted:

You can use them later to make useful things like batteries.

Frog Assassin posted:

My startup always goes like this: first, check the shelter basement for anything useful. Smash a locker, grab a pipe. Head outside, grab a rock, make a crowbar. Wield the crowbar, smash all of the counters in the shelter, make pointy sticks until you can't anymore. There always seems to be enough material to make enough sticks to get Fabrication to 4. Not totally useful right away, but it's nice for later.
If you have at least one skill-point in survival at the start (or when you have butchered enough animals to get your first point), smash a locker for the metal and make spike out of it with a rock, smash a window for the sheets, the string and the big stick, make rags with the sheets then build use the string, the rag, the spike and the heavy stick to make a knife spear (26 cut damage, 2 bash).

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
You can also use make batteries from acid collected from funnels, which is useful because I like saving ammonia to make mutagen. Unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to use funnels back when they gave basically infinite acid when it was raining, so I never did take advantage of this as much as I should have.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

Frying pans are worse, they can't be used to make chems and such. A pot is only minimally heavier and can be used for anything.

Huh, didn't know that, but then I've never been able or inclined to make chems, never really seen the point.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
If you have a filter mask, collecting poppy seeds/buds and making painkillers/sleeping pills is a good way to pass the time and grind up your cooking a bit, especially earlier in the game if you can't find any other medicines. Other than that I hardly ever touch the chems section until I unlock mutagens.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Inadequately posted:

If you have a filter mask, collecting poppy seeds/buds and making painkillers/sleeping pills is a good way to pass the time and grind up your cooking a bit, especially earlier in the game if you can't find any other medicines. Other than that I hardly ever touch the chems section until I unlock mutagens.

I always have shittons of medicine anyway, especially painkillers.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

A note on pointy sticks: they used to be invaluable early on for cooking meat, but now you can carve a piece of wood down into near-weightless skewers that do the same trick for zero encumberence. Plus they're handy for starting fires. I never leave home without sixty or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

The collar stuff is wierd, but the bondage suits and other stuff? We need more of that. I mean, this is the apocalypse. I should be able to wear some bizarre leather fetish bullshit. If you don't like it, well... The Lord Humungos says to just walk away.

edit: holy poo poo, does the retarded boomerang kid have a tail on? Maybe Cataclysm is an accurate depiction of the post apocalypse.

I think the collars came in with the bondage/S&M stuff, not the furry stuff.

And you'll notice in the video that both boomerang kid AND glasses guy who gets his fingers taken off both seem to have tails! Tails are are just standard wasteland gear, you know.

No comment about the ears.