Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much the best way to ensure his survival. He knows most donors are from far away, and those who want to redeem their reward can explicitly ask him I guess. On the other hand, he should communicate this to the few pledgers who ain't in on our scheme.

I just told him that as long as a) Team Frogout gets their frog on the side of the building and b) If any of us ever actually show up there, we'll get a free dog, he can do whatever he pleases with reward dogs / potential savings that came from Team Frogout. Let me know if anyone has an issue with this.

I did say that the $100 and $500 contributors probably actually do want their rewards though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

I went in for $10 just now, and clicked not to take a reward. Reform is about 900 miles away, which is a perfectly reasonable distance to go for a single free hotdog.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SoundMonkey posted:

Also, opinion check: I'm going to tell Wayne to start ditching reward-dogs from the $25-tier until he gets $500 to put the frog on the wall (unless one of the Deep Pockets $500 donators wants to do that) since that was the original purpose of Team Frogout, but considering the concerns raised in the thread about his ability to provide said dogs without going broke, do we want to either ask him to reduce our number of dogs per reward, or are people voluntarily ditching the reward now? (I'm told that's possible.)

I don't think we need to do that. Wayne said that if anyone bought all ten $500 rewards he'd give them the entire wall for two years. Team Frogout have assuredly contributed that much.

E: Got round to adding my $20 to the hat, no reward requested.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 27, 2013

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

SoundMonkey posted:

Also, opinion check: I'm going to tell Wayne to start ditching reward-dogs from the $25-tier until he gets $500 to put the frog on the wall (unless one of the Deep Pockets $500 donators wants to do that) since that was the original purpose of Team Frogout, but considering the concerns raised in the thread about his ability to provide said dogs without going broke, do we want to either ask him to reduce our number of dogs per reward, or are people voluntarily ditching the reward now? (I'm told that's possible.)

Honestly, I would LOVE a coupon emailed to me. Not because I'm ever gonna go there (live to far away), but just to remind me of this. I'd probably print it out, frame it maybe.

But tell him to do this:

spacemost posted:

I think we should just tell him to take however much he would have spent on our rewards, and use it to buy some newspaper ads or subsidize the grand opening to get some traffic in the door.

We gave because we wanted him to succeed. Use that money for success.

Financial note: Tell him to keep a bunch of the windfall as a rainy day fund.
Ice cream machines and whatnot are great but you gotta make sure you can at least keep the lights on. I don't want him to spend all this $$$ making the place amazing only to not be able to keep the doors open for those rocky first few months :ohdear:

Opening a new business, ESPECIALLY a restaurant is really financially iffy. EVERY business guide out there will tell you you need 6-12months expenses in the bank just in case.

Just, make sure he knows that....I want the guy to make it.

VVVVV I want this in sticker format. VVVV

Trollologist fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 27, 2013

100Dachshunds
Oct 11, 2009

GOCHARMSPRINGS
Hot dog kickstarter fanart? Why yes!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
This has inspired me to offer to help out a number of sad little creative projects. Keep dreaming, dreamers. I hope you're able to print the cat equivalent of Latawnya the Naughty Horse. And if not, maybe you'll feel better knowing someone out there rooted for you :unsmith:.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

100Dachshunds posted:

It's glorious. :3:

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

100Dachshunds posted:

Hooooly poo poo.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Pick posted:

This has inspired me to offer to help out a number of sad little creative projects. Keep dreaming, dreamers. I hope you're able to print the cat equivalent of Latawnya the Naughty Horse. And if not, maybe you'll feel better knowing someone out there rooted for you :unsmith:.

Man, I can't look through all the projects like these without feeling terrible and wishing I had enough to just fund them all. :smith:

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

100Dachshunds posted:

Holy gently caress, this is amazing. I'm with the goon that wants this in sticker format. Maybe laid out for kids on the tables or something. Make it into a place that kids drag their parents into.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

100Dachshunds posted:

souvenir coaster spotted

DragonReach Ghost
Sep 16, 2002

My Avatar is a Red Avatar

SoundMonkey posted:

I just told him that as long as a) Team Frogout gets their frog on the side of the building and b) If any of us ever actually show up there, we'll get a free dog, he can do whatever he pleases with reward dogs / potential savings that came from Team Frogout. Let me know if anyone has an issue with this.

I did say that the $100 and $500 contributors probably actually do want their rewards though.

Or you can use my $500 dollar kick for the wall. I'm cool with that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Sojenus posted:

Man, I can't look through all the projects like these without feeling terrible and wishing I had enough to just fund them all. :smith:

For projects that are guaranteed not to be funded (like that one), you can just "back" them knowing it's more like a little pat on the head than anything. Since payment won't go through.

DragonReach Ghost
Sep 16, 2002

100Dachshunds posted:

Someone needs to send this to Wayne. That is awesomeness.

now entering North Dakota
Feb 22, 2013

Fun Shoe
When I went to work this morning, this still distant enough to not get my hopes up. After having a generally lovely day, coming home to see what a goonrush can do restored my faith in humanity again.

So of course I put $25 towards making sure Wayne gets to realize his dream.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Frog Dog should be OK to use; there doesn't seem to be a live trademark on it for food at the moment. [Ed: apparently you can't link to the TESS search results. ED2: I did something, and now I can.]

There's a Frog Dog brewery, and a FrogDog clothing line, but I doubt a hot dog is going to interfere with those. There does seem to be a Frog Dogs hot dog shop in Ohio, but they haven't trademarked it. I don't know what the rules on that are.

I'd hate to get all excited about this and then get it shot down by a PTO violation, but it looks like we're in the clear from what I can tell.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 27, 2013

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
If all else fails there's still the Frogout Dog. Either way, people are going to ask what it's supposed to mean, leading to a :3: story.

nightchild12
Jan 8, 2005
hi i'm sexy

100Dachshunds posted:

That's awesome. I do think it's not Doobie centric enough, though. Any way you could add a ring of text around it? Something like "Doobie's Dog House" on top and "Reform, AL" on the bottom?

Also to anyone wanting to submit him a logo or artwork he could use, he posted this comment yesterday: "@Mike Bifulco: I would like that very much... Was just discussing this with my wife.... I would love a cartoon version of my self or a cartoon version of doobies doghouse.. Inbox me so I don't loose this in the comments.. There coming in very fast... Thank you" Just an FYI, not trying to say that any fan art isn't good (except for bad fan art, which this most definitely is not).

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Deteriorata posted:

Frog Dog should be OK to use; there doesn't seem to be a live trademark on it for food at the moment. [Ed: apparently you can't link to the TESS search results. ED2: I did something, and now I can.]

There's a Frog Dog brewery, and a FrogDog clothing line, but I doubt a hot dog is going to interfere with those. There does seem to be a Frog Dogs hot dog shop in Ohio, but they haven't trademarked it. I don't know what the rules on that are.

I'd hate to get all excited about this and then get it shot down by a PTO violation, but it looks like we're in the clear from what I can tell.

What this means is tell him to file the PTO Frog Dog Hotdog ASAP. Then when those chumps in Ohio try to get all litigious he can just fax them a copy of the patent and suggested amount they should 'donate' to his stand.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I want nothing for my cnote. Just a frog sign, pix, and a goon that is non-sperge to visit and congrat this business hotdog mogul. Ok. That was something.

That logo was cool too. Nice!

Sadly, I blew my discretionary and can't double at 10big.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
If I stop by Nashville on the way, the trip to Reform, AL for me is 2300mi. That's a perfectly acceptable road trip summer vacation to get myself a Frog Dog.

100Dachshunds posted:

I, too, need this in sticker/poster/T-shirt form.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I don't think I ever imagined I'd be bummed that I'm so far from Alabama. 13.5 hours is too far. :(

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
My dinner plans have just been cancelled, and I'm really tempted to drop by Costco and get one of their celebrated hot dogs.

(Though the polish sausage is even better.)

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

pentyne posted:

What this means is tell him to file the PTO Frog Dog Hotdog ASAP. Then when those chumps in Ohio try to get all litigious he can just fax them a copy of the patent and suggested amount they should 'donate' to his stand.

Of course, Wayne needs to be OK with all this in the first place. We're sort of taking over his identity without his consent.

goomsnarr
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah, yeah...
I went back and changed my donation to "no reward" and chucked a few extra bucks in.

When he gets up and running proper, I'm going to send him an S.A.E and ask him to mail back a menu.

Also, I have a real hankering to make hotdogs with curry sauce right now.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
As far as I know, it's still Doobie's Dog House. He decided to put the Frogdog on the menu as a thanks to Team Frogout IIRC.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Yeah I was just thinking the frog dog would be a certain kind of specialty dog maybe we could figure out and maybe he could leave it on the secret menu. What would go on a frog dog?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Deteriorata posted:

Of course, Wayne needs to be OK with all this in the first place. We're sort of taking over his identity without his consent.

Look, we gave him like a bajillion dollars, is it really too much to ask him to legally change his name to : frogout :, complete with leading and trailing colons? :raise:

DragonReach Ghost
Sep 16, 2002

Bad Munki posted:

Look, we gave him like a bajillion dollars, is it really too much to ask him to legally change his name to : frogout :, complete with leading and trailing colons? :raise:

why yes, yes it is.

In all seriousness. FrogDog = Mustard on the bottom, relish on top, bacon legs and tongue.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DragonReach posted:

why yes, yes it is.

In all seriousness. FrogDog = Mustard on the bottom, relish on top, bacon legs and tongue.

For a moment I thought you meant "beef tongue" and was dubious yet intrigued.

I hope the success doesn't go to his head and we start seeing "artisanal" show up on the menu. :ohdear:

Sharkie fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 27, 2013

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DragonReach posted:

why yes, yes it is.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
E:^^^^ :stonk:

There is something that makes me chuckle about a crowdfunded joint named Doobie's Artisan Dogs

DragonReach Ghost
Sep 16, 2002

Sharkie posted:

For a moment I thought you meant "beef tongue" and was dubious yet intrigued.

I hope the success doesn't go to his head and we start seeing "artisanal" show up on the menu. :ohdear:

ackk... no no no... bacon only, pig parts, this is Alabama, I grew up there, we want to keep it pure and laden with fat.

edit:

Holy crap, I have now been traumatized by a freakin hot dog.

DragonReach Ghost fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 27, 2013

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
He's Almost at 8K! Let's make it happen everyone!

I was digging through the old Kickstarter comments to see if Wayne brought up the frogdog and found something worth sharing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Pick posted:

For projects that are guaranteed not to be funded (like that one), you can just "back" them knowing it's more like a little pat on the head than anything. Since payment won't go through.

It helps them feel better I suppose, but I really want to see all the little creative projects from people outside the holistic artisanal microwallet video game demographic have their dreams fulfilled. Exactly why I threw my meager free cash at this man and his hot dogs.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

pathetic little tramp posted:

Yeah I was just thinking the frog dog would be a certain kind of specialty dog maybe we could figure out and maybe he could leave it on the secret menu. What would go on a frog dog?

We should let the hot dog man determine the appropriate toppings.

(Relish and jalapeņo.)

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Saga posted:

As I understand Kiva, you are theoretically backfilling loans which have actually already been given by Kiva's partner finance organisations (microlenders, etc). Whether this is even accurate I am not sure - is Kiva in fact acting, directly or at a remove, as a guarantor and thus a backstop for its partner lenders (passing any losses on or eventually returning "loaned" capital to you, the member, if you're lucky), who are in fact getting money elsewhere? They like to sell the thing as "you are lending to person x", but that doesn't seem to me to be what's actually happening.

It may well be that you are at more of a remove from borrowers than you would be if you just put some savings into a local mutual society/building society/credit union/became an REI member.

You also have to hope that the partner lenders, their loan books and their borrowers are actually legit. Maybe Credit Mongol is just some cheeto-stained dude in Ulaan Baator with a big-rear end yurt, a kickin home theatre system and a string of very expensive high performance ponies.

In case anyone thinks I'm being hopelessly cynical, I have $25 goonbux floating somewhere in Kivaspace.

The point being that in this case, less the Kickstarter/Amazon cut, we are at least giving actual money to Wayne.

I went digging and your correct. They have mircolenders or "field agents". These agent meet with local people and and give them the loan already. Then they put the loan on the website and you can assume the risk and benefits from said loan. That said all the field agents are non-profits and have their stats and information put on this page http://www.kiva.org/partners.. So it not really as heart warming as this kickstarter, sorry about that.

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.
Any other Rochester goons are lucky enough to experience the joys of DOG TOWN, the best drat hot dog joint there is.

In the spirit of that goddamn honest and good establishment, I commit $25 to helping an honest man get an honest business serving honest food.

America: Reviving Honesty, One Hot Dog at a time

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

monster on a stick posted:

We should let the hot dog man determine the appropriate toppings.

(Relish and jalapeņo.)

Yeah, plenty of offers of help are on the table. He'll ask for help with whatever he really needs, I'm sure, in the meantime sit back and let him do his thing. At this point the most direct thing any of us can do is keep spreading the word.

poo poo, he's probably still not recovered from the shock yet as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Anoia posted:

poo poo, he's probably still not recovered from the shock yet as it is.

Maybe we should kickstart buying him an AED.

• Locked thread