Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

Agrikk posted:

WebSense pisses me off daily.

Today's random filter of the day is that this, the second page of an IT bitch thread, is being filtered because somehow it is flagged as having sexual content. How dare you interrupt my browsing.

Well done WenSense! Well done!

The "sexual content" it's catching is probably the phrase "gently caress printers". That does appear on this page as "gently caress Zebra printers". It could be the "gently caress Zebra" that sets it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Good going. Now this page is red-flagged. Every page is a sexy gently caress zebra page, WebSense.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Last page had "loving machines" on it, maybe websense thinks this is one of those weird dildo machine sites.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
I am pretty sure that it is imperative that there is at least one websense bannable phrase on every page of this thread from now on.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
WebFocus. That's poo poo that's pissing me off at the moment. That and the piece of poo poo software that corporate built that runs on top of that turd.

I was replacing the Assistant Controller's system today. When I installed the software, I tested it to make sure it would launch. All was well. Then I deliver it today and it decides "Nope, not gonna run". Ended up having to uninstall everything related to that pile of poo poo and start over. Now it's running, but it's still not importing her backed up data. Gonna have to call the team that built this crap to troubleshoot tomorrow. :argh:

The worst part is now I'm in a lovely mood and I missed my workout class. I'll have to go in and just do some cardio now.

Also, not sure if any of you are interested, but there's a thread in GBS called "No more warranty to void. Let's open up old electronics". I thought I'd post me replacing some failed rollers in one of those 4120's.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

demonachizer posted:

I am pretty sure that it is imperative that there is at least one websense bannable phrase on every page of this thread from now on.

> IT bitching thread continued: now with more sexy gently caress zebras

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:
Thank you for restarting this thread. ATCI thread is too active for me to follow.

Pissing me off: Applications that require specific versions of Java 6 and won't play nice if Java 6 goes on after Java 7.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
:supaburn: I get "You are exceeding profile space limit!!!!" I cant shut down my pc. This is affecting production!!!!
:science: Have you tried deleting files?
:supaburn: Waaaaaa?
:science: Just remove files from your desktop. You can move them to the data partition!
:supaburn: But the doctors made them!!!
:science: Well then just click 'force shutdown' and sort it out monday?
:supaburn: But I dont get this option??? Can I just hold the power button?
:science: Sure, but not on my recommendation.
:supaburn: ... (...) THANKS FOR THE HELP (Hangup)

Hey, how about you leave it running? Not like no one does that. I cant manage your files and I cant allow you to shoot it down. What do you want me to do here?

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

SEKCobra posted:

Hey, how about you leave it running? Not like no one does that. I cant manage your files and I cant allow you to shoot it down. What do you want me to do here?

:supaburn: FIX IT :supaburn:

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Scaramouche posted:

Epson in terrible in all respects. Everything, drivers, compatibility, OS, eventual print quality. The only thing in their favour is they last forever.

I've written a few apps that use the OPOS.NET SDK to print stuff with an Epson printer(TM-T20) and in my experience they're kinda decent. A bitch and a half to properly code for and get them to be recognized properly by the application and the OS, but once you've got that down it's rather easy.

Still, gently caress printers.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Today's google doodle is affecting production.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Today's google doodle is affecting production.

Only 139 here, looks like I'll be busy for the rest of the day.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I first got 97 and didn't realise you could do much better until you guys said that.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hawzy
Dec 13, 2002

teethgrinder posted:

I first got 97 and didn't realise you could do much better until you guys said that.

suck it nerds

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

^^: Mother fucker! :argh:

teethgrinder posted:

Just matched that. Wonder if you can get higher.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Bob Morales posted:

Instead of using Microsoft Visio, which I've used for years and is kind of the standard diagram/flowchart program, I'm forced to use SmartDraw, which my boss bought because it was $199 instead of $299 for Visio. Cheap gently caress.

Bonus points for having to RDP into a Pentium 4 with 1GB of RAM running Windows XP because he only wants to buy one license and there are like 20 people who use it. UUUGGGGHHH

LibreOffice supports Visio files pretty well now too.

Unsurprisingly SmartDraw does not have a book license, the same as Visio, your boss is breaking the license agreement and needs purchase one for every user that accesses the software.

http://www.smartdraw.com/support/smartdraw-perpetual-license.pdf

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

MrMoo posted:

Unsurprisingly SmartDraw does not have a book license, the same as Visio, your boss is breaking the license agreement and needs purchase one for every user that accesses the software.

I love how for some people licensing software means doing the absolute minimum to get the installer and the keys and not have the software yell at you every 30 seconds.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Hawzy posted:

suck it nerds

Bastard, I capped at 168.

e: aha!

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 27, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MrMoo posted:

I know...The worst thing is BSA audited this company about 3 years ago after a disgruntled admin left and they had to pay a kajillion dollars in MS licensing.

This is the same guy who gives me the 3rd degree if I try using any free software (Like Linux etc)

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

demonachizer posted:

Some days it really feels like that's the case. WebSense seems to randomly pick pages on SA to block for me.

I'd complain, but I don't want to explain why I am on SA at work in the first place.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Bob Morales posted:

This is the same guy who gives me the 3rd degree if I try using any free software (Like Linux etc)

So he doesn't want to pay a lot of money for software and doesn't want it free either, what's the foaming at the mouth response to the latter?

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

Ursine Asylum posted:

Bastard, I capped at 168.

e: aha!

:smug:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Meh.

Actually zebra loving machines works because I can see this page.

I wonder if it's loving tool.

edit: nope

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Nemo2342 posted:

Some days it really feels like that's the case. WebSense seems to randomly pick pages on SA to block for me.

I'd complain, but I don't want to explain why I am on SA at work in the first place.

If I didn't have control over everything from my desktop out to the internet, I'd be pretty scared about using SA at work. Given how much I've vented about them, with some ventings being very personal towards some very high up people, I don't think my career would take a very positive turn if it was all being quietly logged by some web sense thing somewhere...

Hawzy
Dec 13, 2002

Friday's are really slow where I work

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MrMoo posted:

So he doesn't want to pay a lot of money for software and doesn't want it free either, what's the foaming at the mouth response to the latter?

"MySQL? You can't just randomly download software from the internet and install it on the network!"

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Suck it, everyone. :smuggo:

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
http://i.imgur.com/ZHgGaAU.png

Very sorry.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I hear if you get 200, Google offers you a job

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

GargleBlaster posted:

If I didn't have control over everything from my desktop out to the internet, I'd be pretty scared about using SA at work. Given how much I've vented about them, with some ventings being very personal towards some very high up people, I don't think my career would take a very positive turn if it was all being quietly logged by some web sense thing somewhere...

But think about it: There's a NetEng guy who is near-burnt-out and bitter just like the rest of us watching that device. Do you think he really gives two shits about parsing the logs for people browsing a comedy site?

Of course we are all on record for visiting SA. It's right there in the logs. But unless we are loving off badly and they're looking for an excuse to fire us, those logs will remain unviewed.

It's like people who freak out when they discover that we have access to their mailboxes. Do they really think we have the time or the inclination to browse through all of your boring as hell daily emails for that one potentially tasty gem of gossip? gently caress that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ssh tunnel out and point a browser over to the ssh server as a socks proxy, including DNS requests. Then you just have to worry about someone going to your PC while you're not there and looking at your history or whatever.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
This is what pisses me off today. I got hired last November for a year long fixed term contract to help with clearing a backlog of changes to a piece of software, my first actual employment beyond part time shop work. The guy who interviewed me made it pretty clear that if I worked well then they would definitely look for a long term position. Come my one to one meeting with my manager today and he tells me that they're really pleased with how the backlog has gone down so much and the level of quality in my work. So much so that some higher ups (one being the guy who interviewed me) have decided not to extend my contract because the backlog has gone down so much and I did such a good job way back earlier this year when I helped with training a couple of people in India how to do some development and change work in that software so we could move the easier stuff offshore (my first real job so the implications didn't occur to me).

I should have seen this coming when four months ago he submitted a training request for a more advanced SQL course and when my manager chased him up on it last month we never heard anything back. Also when the talk of establishing a technical BI team in our office (and having me train in it) seemed to just evaporate and two contractors from that team got their contracts ended last month and replaced by new people in India. Pretty sure come a few years and all the technical people will be gone from that office.

I had no idea that getting people to train their own offshore replacements was a thing that actually happened outside TV. I swear if I didn't need good will at this company for references in the future...

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
websense is just a proxy, any standard proxy will bypass it completely, unless that ip is filtered for some reason.

Oh high school days...

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I just browse on my phone without connecting to wifi when I'm at work.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

God dammit I was DONE! I WAS OUT AND YOU DRAGGED ME BACK IN not really, I'm going home.

Bob Morales posted:

ssh tunnel out and point a browser over to the ssh server as a socks proxy, including DNS requests. Then you just have to worry about someone going to your PC while you're not there and looking at your history or whatever.

I tunnel at work out of habit, since the last place I used to work blocked Stack Overflow as a "social site". Owning an external server ended up being handy; I just set up the SSH inbound port as 443 (to get around the SSH-22 block they also had in their firewall) and just flowed my traffic through that all day and bypassed all of the downtime they ended up accruing for themselves because their lovely blocker would default to "block all outgoing web requests" when it wasn't working properly.

How it managed to break and not disconnect my tunnel, though? No idea, but this is also a blocker that let people access Facebook.com via https:// instead of http:// for 6 months too, so. v:shobon:v

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 28, 2013

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Galler posted:

I just browse on my phone without connecting to wifi when I'm at work.
Observing SA, a bunch of insecure dorks like to mock people with Samsung Notes for their nerdy phones, but they're just so good for this kind of purpose.

(Also I'm a 6' tall man. The Note 2 is thin enough to be far less obvious in my pocket than my last BlackBerry Bold.)

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

I'm going to quit while I'm ahead, because this was sheer luck and will never ever happen again.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ursine Asylum posted:

I tunnel at work out of habit, since the last place I used to work blocked Stack Overflow as a "social site". Owning an external server ended up being handy; I just set up the SSH inbound port as 443 (to get around the SSH-22 block they also had in their firewall) and just flowed my traffic through that all day and bypassed all of the downtime they ended up accruing for themselves because their lovely blocker would default to "block all outgoing web requests" when it wasn't working properly.

A week or two ago our 'internet went down', there's this fuckup where you can still do email and such but no http traffic gets through.

I pulled up Google in Firefox that I have going over my ssh tunnel to look something up and my boss said "How are you getting on the internet still?"

:haw:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Ursine Asylum posted:

How it managed to break and not disconnect my tunnel, though? No idea, but this is also a blocker that let people access Facebook.com via [url]https://[/url] instead of [url]http://[/url] for 6 months too, so. v:shobon:v

The firewall probably doesn't apply ACLs to established, ongoing connections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012
Pissing me off today: Local telco providers whose arms you have to twist to get them to fix their stuff on the weekends.

My Team = :shobon:
Telco = :v:

:shobon: We need you to fix this circuit ASAP. Our client has been down since yesterday.
:v: We don't dispatch people out for DS0s on Saturdays.

:fuckoff:

(As of the time I left work, we had finally managed to get into the router by connecting a phone line to it, and were on our way to getting that line into service as a backup line.)