Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
But don't do that if the files are where you want them to end up. If the files are already in their final destination add an existing show and then rename, or move them out of the way and post process the folder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteviaFan420
Apr 20, 2009

Guy Axlerod posted:

Are they new shows, or more expisodes of shows that are already listed in Sickbeard?

If it's a new show, select: Add shows, Add Existing Shows

Then do a rename on the show.

In the other case:

I haven't used sickbeard before and just have a really big usenet folder with everything in it.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

SteviaFan420 posted:

I haven't used sickbeard before and just have a really big usenet folder with everything in it.

Create two TV folders: One as the final destination, and a second as a folder for SAB to drop files it downloads for Sick Beard. Put all your existing TV in the final destination.

The first time you access Sick Beard, it's going to ask you where all your poo poo is, and prompt you to add your existing shows.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

So do any of you actually use Usenet for discussion any more? That hierarchy is like looking at the ruins of an ancient civilization. There may be life still in there, somewhere, besides comp.os.linux, but it's drat hard to find. Any interesting groups?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
We all use Usenet to discuss the latest Linux ISOs.

That's what we do.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I'm having a bit of difficulty in getting sickbeard to run on startup.

I've made a shortcut to the exe (via send to desktop) and placed it in the startup folder, but still nothing.

I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit if that makes a difference.

I somehow managed to get it working on another machine with the same version of Windows but I can't remember if there's something specific I did to get it to work.

The sickbeard site just says to drag the exe into the startup folder (which doesn't actually create a shortcut), and i can't seem to find much information online about this which makes me think it's not something that's common.

Any ideas?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Gozinbulx posted:

We all use Usenet to discuss the latest Linux ISOs.

That's what we do.

Just wait until the new SteamOS comes out! :dance:

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch

Kin posted:

I've made a shortcut to the exe (via send to desktop) and placed it in the startup folder, but still nothing.

I somehow managed to get it working on another machine with the same version of Windows but I can't remember if there's something specific I did to get it to work.

The sickbeard site just says to drag the exe into the startup folder (which doesn't actually create a shortcut), and i can't seem to find much information online about this which makes me think it's not something that's common.

Any ideas?
Try task scheduler to launch it as user x on system boot

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012

Kin posted:

Any ideas?

Which startup folder? There's more than one.

Morkai
May 2, 2004

aaag babbys
e: nm I misread a thing

MasterColin
Aug 4, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

So do any of you actually use Usenet for discussion any more? That hierarchy is like looking at the ruins of an ancient civilization. There may be life still in there, somewhere, besides comp.os.linux, but it's drat hard to find. Any interesting groups?

Start a topic! Ill conversate with you!

The Usenet Megathread - Thread moved to rec.sa.usenet

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
Has anybody heard of or used BinTube (http://www.bintube.com/)? I'm about to sign up for either that or Newshosting. I trust the latter cause I used it for years but since I'm settling down and signing up I figured I would look around. Bintube comes with its own software too, which seems kind of cool.

Any thoughts? Or is there something even better out there I should consider? Would appreciate it

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Drunk & Ugly posted:

Has anybody heard of or used BinTube (http://www.bintube.com/)? I'm about to sign up for either that or Newshosting. I trust the latter cause I used it for years but since I'm settling down and signing up I figured I would look around. Bintube comes with its own software too, which seems kind of cool.

Any thoughts? Or is there something even better out there I should consider? Would appreciate it

They're both highwinds.

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
Well forgive me, I guess I could go through everything in this thread but is that bad? Better alternatives for the price?

I found this:

quote:

Highwinds doesn’t sell directly through their own name. Instead, access to their systems is done through other companies that buy from them and re-sell to end users. Generally, we don’t recommend resellers because they often introduce weak links in to the delivery chain, but at least 2 of the resellers are actually owned by Highwinds, so we feel comfortable recommending them: Newshosting and Usenetserver. Two other resellers that we have confidence in are Easynews and NewsDemon because their management has been reliable and Easynews has a super-cool online interface that lets you find attachments visually and bundle them for easy downloading.

But the question on alternatives still stands if you have any.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

MasterColin posted:

Usenet Non-binary Edition - Don't say "kibo"

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Drunk & Ugly posted:

Well forgive me, I guess I could go through everything in this thread but is that bad? Better alternatives for the price?

No, they're fine. I just meant that availability will be the same on both.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Someone a week or so ago was asking about block sales, newsgroupdirect has 500 GB blocks on sale for $20 again if you're still interested.

http://www.newsgroupdirect.com/blog/2013/09/25/newsgroupdirects-fall-block-sale/

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Thauros posted:

Someone a week or so ago was asking about block sales, newsgroupdirect has 500 GB blocks on sale for $20 again if you're still interested.

http://www.newsgroupdirect.com/blog/2013/09/25/newsgroupdirects-fall-block-sale/

That was me. Someone pointed me towards Newsgroupdirect's happy hour sale so I grabbed a 500gb block for the same price there. Thanks for posting this though.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Tiger.Bomb posted:

Which startup folder? There's more than one.

It was the one that can be explored from the start menu.

I got around it by using the task scheduler though.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

MasterColin posted:

To reply more seriously, if anyone's actually interested in a discussion of text newsgroups, I will create the thread. I've been thinking about what made USENET great, how a similar system could be made/improved, etc.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

To reply more seriously, if anyone's actually interested in a discussion of text newsgroups, I will create the thread. I've been thinking about what made USENET great, how a similar system could be made/improved, etc.

I'd be interested in your thoughts, but I'm not sure if it's enough for a thread. Basically I feel like, infrastructure, NNTP, the whole completely decentralized server structure, aside, web forums have taken over by providing easier access and mostly losing the discussion-tree format, which was great in theory but not in practice. (And well, replacing said infrastructure with a horrid PHP codebase of course, and stuffing the user-generated content into a silo.) More of an incremental change, and not much lost.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Grim Up North posted:

I'd be interested in your thoughts, but I'm not sure if it's enough for a thread. Basically I feel like, infrastructure, NNTP, the whole completely decentralized server structure, aside, web forums have taken over by providing easier access and mostly losing the discussion-tree format, which was great in theory but not in practice. (And well, replacing said infrastructure with a horrid PHP codebase of course, and stuffing the user-generated content into a silo.) More of an incremental change, and not much lost.

The infrastructure was one of the best parts about it. If a forum's owner gets bored and shuts it down, it's just gone. Somebody might be able to get a replacement stood up, but good luck getting all the old users to come back. Anything you posted is gone unless it made it to archive.org. If your Usenet provider goes down, or your ISP stops carrying it, whatever, you just get a different server and carry on as before. All the same people are still on your group, hell they don't even know your server went offline.

It also had its weaknesses. Originally, it was just UUCP links between colleges and national labs and big companies. People were relatively well-behaved; I'd liken the environment to SA. If you were a total shithead, your sysadmin might even restrict you from using it, much like SA has bans for bad behavior. Then the Internet got popular, ISPs started providing Usenet free with their services, and every idiot could get on. We also started getting spam, and because Usenet is decentralized, it's hard to control. You can't just ban the spammers.

These days it's about 95% spam, 4% insane paranoid racist rants, and 1% content from real, non-schizophrenic people. I've done some browsing of the hierarchy over the last week, and most of it is pretty much useless. I've found a few decent groups; alt.sysadmin.recovery would probably be pretty interesting to some people in the "A ticket came in" thread, rec.motorcycles isn't terrible, just slow-moving, and alt.music.pink-floyd is fun to watch slightly insane people pretend to understand the publius enigma.

I've been rolling around the idea of a Usenet-like system based on, for the lack of a better term, elitism. SA uses :10bux: to help weed out the worst of the internet; similarly, this would place some basic barriers to entry that may keep out the worst. Use cryptographic signatures to verify the post's originator and the path it has traveled, to avoid user forgery (a real problem on Usenet). Act as a peer only to node owners you trust; if they send out too much bullshit, you can cut them off. Anyone running a web bridge will be shot. Basically, any participant in the network could give access to another person, but there's the understanding that if they misbehave too badly, the whole net will know, and they will eventually be cut out of the network. I'm not sure if this would actually work or not, but it might be fun to code up.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
So I've noticed recently Sabdnzd often says some Linux ISOs are missing a large amount of articles and cannot be repaired.

What's my solution to overcome this problem? I have a monthly subscribe with Astraweb and a block account with blocknews but that does not suffice apparently.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Is it possible to edit the quality settings in Sickbeard?

I really just want to remove the WEBDL quality from the 720p setting, as opposed to editing each show to have a custom quality that removes it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Le0 posted:

So I've noticed recently Sabdnzd often says some Linux ISOs are missing a large amount of articles and cannot be repaired.

What's my solution to overcome this problem? I have a monthly subscribe with Astraweb and a block account with blocknews but that does not suffice apparently.

Try to find a repost. Otherwise you're probably out of luck.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008

Le0 posted:

Try repairing/unpacking it manually before you give up hope. I've had things fail in Sab but work fine if I just unpack it with 7z, no repair required. Annoying, yes, but not as much as redownloading.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
So here's a question: Do any of you guys run into trouble with your ISP's download caps? Comcast, for instance, only allowed 250 gigs a month. Do any of you hit that? Anyway around it?

Morkai
May 2, 2004

aaag babbys

Gozinbulx posted:

So here's a question: Do any of you guys run into trouble with your ISP's download caps? Comcast, for instance, only allowed 250 gigs a month. Do any of you hit that? Anyway around it?

SAB has quota management if that helps. I have about 140 shows on my Sickbeard list and I just keep stuff set to SD unless it has trouble downloading then I set to "any". Supposedly I have a quota of 250 but they're not enforcing it (Charter).

Quality doesn't matter to me since most of the shows aren't even for me personally and everything gets post processed into iPhone 4 quality in Handbrake for my AppleTVs.

Morkai
May 2, 2004

aaag babbys
Next up in my automation setup: deleting from iTunes a couple weeks after it's been marked as watched. It's the only part I still do by hand.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Comcast is currently not enforcing the quota in my area (it says so on the page where I check my bandwidth), which is good, because the last 3 months I've hit 350GB and this month I'm probably going to hit 500 (currently at 473).

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Gozinbulx posted:

I have a Comcast business account at my home. They are much more lenient for their business customers

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Gozinbulx posted:

I just said gently caress it and got Comcast Business. I pull 450-650gb a month with no problems. I did have to find my own supported modem because the supplied one was terrible and didn't have a true bridged mode.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Comcast suspended their residential caps a while ago while they test tiers in some markets. Unless this has been changed back recently.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Well I'm moving to a new place and thinking of getting Comcast Blast (50 mbps). Any experience with it? Does it really go that fast?

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Gozinbulx posted:

Well I'm moving to a new place and thinking of getting Comcast Blast (50 mbps). Any experience with it? Does it really go that fast?

I hear people rage about Comcast all the time but at least in my area (Baltimore suburbs) their service has been fantastic. Outages are extremely rare, in fact I can't remember the last time we had one, and I've always gotten at least the advertised speed. I max out my 100mbps connection with newsgroups easily.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Gozinbulx posted:

50mb/s is around 6.25MB/s. I live in Houston, am on "50mb/s BLAST PROCESSING" and download a lot, and my average speed is around 2.5MB/s. So basically around 1/3 to 1/2 of advertised speeds.

I'm not sure if this is still what they do, but Comcast used to give you a "burst" of uncapped speed for the first 30s or so of your download, which was great for webpages and, conveniently, speed test sites, but completely useless for actually downloading large files. I say I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure this is still what they do.

As far as other things with Comcast go, I've had very little downtime. However, the one time I did have downtime, I spent weeks wrestling with tech support who eventually decided it was my modem. I bought my own modem, and then found out that there was a problem with the line into my entire apartment complex that they didn't bother to tell me about. They then told me to return my modem. After taking time off work to drive to their horrible store, I was informed that returning my modem would deactivate my account. I gave up, then moved. At that point, they got really upset about the modem and sent someone out to collect it. This was a couple of years ago.

Then I moved again. They've been calling me every month about returning my modem since last September. I'm assured that they will make a note in the file and the problem will be resolved last October. As soon as they invent a time machine, I look forward to the service.

Also the "forgot my password" link on their website was broken for almost a year. And if you call for anything, like paying a bill, while there is a service interruption anywhere around you, they make you listen to five minutes of messages and then the automated system hangs up on you until service is restored.

Other than that, go for it. Really, what choice do you have?

edit: they call about returning the modem only on sundays at 8am.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Literally none, they and ATT have a virtual monopoly on residential internet in Miami. In my new apartment complex, it will be the only thing available. I'm afraid the same wiring issues will affect the speed of my supposed 50 mbps. I wonder if its even worth springing for that extra speed. We'll see.

dzarc
Jul 3, 2004

Stupid Newbie

Gozinbulx posted:

I'm using Comcast Blast in San Francisco and it is as fast as advertised, if not slightly faster.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

dzarc posted:

I'm using Comcast Blast in San Francisco and it is as fast as advertised, if not slightly faster.

Just curious, but is this on large downloads, or just speed tests? Like what is sabnzbd reporting on average if that's what you're using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dzarc
Jul 3, 2004

Stupid Newbie

cornface posted:

Just curious, but is this on large downloads, or just speed tests? Like what is sabnzbd reporting on average if that's what you're using?

I usually cap my sabnzbd at 5MB/s, this I can get consistently all day. But if I just let it go full throttle, it will start off at about 7MB/s before tapering off at around 6.5MB/s and stay there until the dl finishes.

Edit: changed mb -> MB to avoid confusion.

dzarc fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 1, 2013