Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GammaShade
Oct 10, 2005

CG: Boggle vacantly at these shenanigans.
You're telling me that once October rolls around, I get to start and end my workweek with cheesy supernatural shows? (edit, no, this is wrong, I thought SPN was on Fridays this year) :neckbeard: I am all of the way in on Sleepy Hollow. I hope they do the Sins, and I really hope they do it better than Supernatural did. They're already trouncing SPN on the horsemen front and also the not killing every lady character front.

GammaShade fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

big twinkie posted:

Please make Cho the demon henchman every week
I lost it when he headfirsted into the mirror. He should be like Adam Goldberg in The Prophecy.

I love the level of self-awareness in this show.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
It does self aware in a way that Agents of SHIELD is trying to do except it isn't awkward

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Some shots from Episode 5 filming today. Not really any spoilers, but just in case:

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

Carteret posted:

Some shots from Episode 5 filming today. Not really any spoilers, but just in case:
Wait, they're still shooting ep 5 at this point?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Midnight City posted:

I think the replacement priest that's bound to show up is definitely going to serve as the Giles / Knowledge Dude of the show, they can't just keep relying on his spirit wife to tell him cryptic clues for everything.

I dunno, she's in a lot of the promotional shots with the main duo + Orlando Jones.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Katrina is the Lone Gunman, Orlando Jones is Skinner, and Benedict Arnold is Alex Krycek.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
That can't be Satan since Satan is the Angel of Light and is described as being quite beautiful, which is part of why he's so dangerous. Surely Sleepy Hollow wouldn't get that wrong! :spergin:

Grey Area posted:

Wait, they're still shooting ep 5 at this point?

You'd be surprised at the number of shows that don't keep a ton of episodes filmed in advance. At the extreme end, I think I remember someone saying that some episodes of Glee are filmed three days before they air. I believe it, too; some of the pop culture references they make are very soon after whatever they reference occurs.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Aatrek posted:

I just realized the cop's sister is Sonya from Nikita.
Oh wow, poo poo, I thought she looked familiar but her Sarah Connor impression had me a bit confused there.

Also my immersion when that nurse didn't check under her tongue to make sure she swallowed, I'll just chalk it down to lowest bidder in charge of a psych ward or something.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Didn't get to watch the second episode until now, but I'm really glad it continues on strong. This show's gonna be great. I think my favorite thing was that the horned demon apparently killed John Cho just to teach him a lesson. Actually, from a practical standpoint, I guess it also served to get him out of prison? :v:

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Regy Rusty posted:

Didn't get to watch the second episode until now, but I'm really glad it continues on strong. This show's gonna be great. I think my favorite thing was that the horned demon apparently killed John Cho just to teach him a lesson. Actually, from a practical standpoint, I guess it also served to get him out of prison? :v:

Makes me wonder what the cameras will show when they realize his body is missing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

...! posted:

That can't be Satan since Satan is the Angel of Light and is described as being quite beautiful, which is part of why he's so dangerous. Surely Sleepy Hollow wouldn't get that wrong! :spergin:

You'd be surprised at the number of shows that don't keep a ton of episodes filmed in advance. At the extreme end, I think I remember someone saying that some episodes of Glee are filmed three days before they air. I believe it, too; some of the pop culture references they make are very soon after whatever they reference occurs.

Yeah, but this is a pretty effects heavy show. Its not every scene but enough times per episode that they don't even have an episode that's going to air in three weeks done.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, but this is a pretty effects heavy show. Its not every scene but enough times per episode that they don't even have an episode that's going to air in three weeks done.

They filmed the Witch Burning/Resurrection and Clancy Brown's Burial the last week of July.

They are shooting both in New Bern, NC and on sound stages in Wilmington, so I bet it's safe to say they are already working on the special effects from stuff filmed on sound stages. All the "location" shots haven't been very special effects heavy (so far).

...Then again, local news reported it was Episode 5, so v:shobon:v

Carteret fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 26, 2013

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
My one niggling issue with this show is how quickly night seems to fall. It seems to take place in Michael Bay's Transformers movies sometimes with how quickly we go from morning to night to the next day with no explanation as to what Crane and Abby were up to in the intervening time.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Thats a good point. I think you just ruined this show for me

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Nah, we can explain it away by saying this is Sleepy Hollow, evil and weird magic poo poo at bay man. Powered by darkness, etc.

But yeah, definitely an inconsistency which was amusing when we saw how fast the sun rose in the pilot.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It's an inconsistency that's part of literally every single TV show because it's just too much of a a logistical nightmare to make sure that every shot is synched up in terms of both daylight/setting and dialogue continuity. It also makes it a lot easier to transition between scenes smoothly. It's the reason why you constantly see characters start having a conversation in one room and then fluidly continue the conversation as they step out of a building, despite the fact that there presumably should have been a 5 minute period where they were walking inside and just not talking or saying anything. Again, it's something that happens in every single show and is just part of television.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Ughhhhh now i can't watch any tv

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

The day/night thing is something I noticed too. It's really jarring on this show. They are outside and it's 100% light out and then the next scene it's late evening. They make no attempts to cover it up or make a smooth transition.

Honestly though, I don't care. This is my favorite of the new shows coming out. I can easily forget and forgive them this.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't even notice tbh

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Those local shots are pretty neat. I'm guessing episode five is a flashback episode. Or are the NC locations reserved only for the Revolutionary War scenes?

Dreadlocks guy looks so drat happy in that first photo. :haw:

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I thought that in the pilot, too, but I also kind of figured it this way:

* Ichabod could have woken up anytime during the day.
* Abbie/August go investigate the farm in the early evening. At some point later that night Ichabod wanders into town and is caught by Andy.
* Paperwork / crime scene stuff the rest of the night. Abbie questions Ichabod, etc. It could have been any point during the day when she took him to investigate his gravesite. Could have taken them several hours to find it.
* Eventually she takes him to the asylum anyway. He goes to sleep and dreams about Katrina.
* Abbie investigates August's office for a few hours.
* That same night, or very early in the morning, she breaks him out and they have the final confrontation with the Headless Horseman and Andy.

So the pilot probably all took place in roughly a day and a half, tops, not including Ichabod's death 230 years ago. Abbie just probably didn't sleep at all for 48 hours.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

...! posted:

The other option that came to mind for me is that it's the Beast. Since this show ties in to Revelations, that would make a kind of sense. But if you want to :spergin: about that theory, he doesn't have seven heads...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I forgot this was premiering and got to read the first 15 pages of the thread in one go. Premiere night is brilliant in summary:

T+5 minutes: "This show is loving terrible!" :cripes:

T+10 minutes: "This show is loving terrible!" :stare:

T+25 minutes: "This show is loving terrible!" :munch:

T+60 minutes: "This show is loving terrible!" :3:

T+3 hours: "This show is loving terrible! I just watched the episode for the third time!" :woop:

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Jedit posted:

I forgot this was premiering and got to read the first 15 pages of the thread in one go. Premiere night is brilliant in summary:

T+5 minutes: "This show is loving terrible!" :cripes:

T+10 minutes: "This show is loving terrible!" :stare:

T+25 minutes: "This show is loving terrible!" :munch:

T+60 minutes: "This show is loving terrible!" :3:

T+3 hours: "This show is loving terrible! I just watched the episode for the third time!" :woop:

I only watched it twice in a row, I would have watched it again if I had someone else new to rope into watching it with me. :3:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

VDay posted:

It's an inconsistency that's part of literally every single TV show because it's just too much of a a logistical nightmare to make sure that every shot is synched up in terms of both daylight/setting and dialogue continuity. It also makes it a lot easier to transition between scenes smoothly. It's the reason why you constantly see characters start having a conversation in one room and then fluidly continue the conversation as they step out of a building, despite the fact that there presumably should have been a 5 minute period where they were walking inside and just not talking or saying anything. Again, it's something that happens in every single show and is just part of television.

This show's especially egregious about it though. During the second episode there's a scene with Ichabod and Abby taking place in the morning, immediately goes to Zombie Cho resurrecting the witch at night, and then we're back to Ichabod and Abby finally arriving at the police station during the day.

I know it's a little thing but, ugh, come on guys. Get your script supervisor to help. It's what they're there for. :argh:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Viola the Mad posted:

Those local shots are pretty neat. I'm guessing episode five is a flashback episode. Or are the NC locations reserved only for the Revolutionary War scenes?

Dreadlocks guy looks so drat happy in that first photo. :haw:

It's filmed entirely in NC, but I think they use "locations" just because it's less work than building a set. For example, last episode used a local cemetery for Clancy Brown's funeral and a lovely motel for Crane's post-it-note emporium.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Anyone else really not able to accept Orlando Jones as an authority figure. I think it's because of the AI he played in that one movie. My brain had blocked the name, had to look it up, its from the remake of the Time Machine.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 26, 2013

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

veedubfreak posted:

Anyone else really not able to accept Orlando Jones as an authority figure. I think it's because of the AI he played in that one movie. My brain had blocked the name, had to look it up, its from the remake of the Time Machine.
I always think of him as the guy pretending to be a recovered crackhead in Office Space. But he's fine as the captain.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Polaron posted:

This show's especially egregious about it though. During the second episode there's a scene with Ichabod and Abby taking place in the morning, immediately goes to Zombie Cho resurrecting the witch at night, and then we're back to Ichabod and Abby finally arriving at the police station during the day.

I know it's a little thing but, ugh, come on guys. Get your script supervisor to help. It's what they're there for. :argh:

I noticed that but I figured that Ichabod and Abby were like "we have to stop the witch from being brought back." Cut to flashback from the night before and guess what, she's already on her way. My poor memory is probably helping me be more forgiving. :ssh:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Slamhound posted:

I lost it when he headfirsted into the mirror. He should be like Adam Goldberg in The Prophecy.

I love the level of self-awareness in this show.
When Cho was resurrected in the morgue, still with his head flipped, anyone know if that was practical sfx (eg, Cho wearing a prosthetic mask) or cgi? Either ways it was good work, especially with the stretched skin, post flip.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

veedubfreak posted:

That just adds to the charm for me. I've only known him as the 7 Up soda guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGs-6oyGbdE

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Orlando Jones has along list of poo poo on his resume that precludes him from being taken seriously as a police captain. For me its when he got an alien bug removed from his colon in Evolution.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Orlando Jones has along list of poo poo on his resume that precludes him from being taken seriously as a police captain. For me its when he got an alien bug removed from his colon in Evolution.

Orlando Jones always seemed like the guy who would take literally any role

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Interesting thing to note, in the pilot, Abbie told Crane he could call her by her first name instead of "Miss Mills" or "Lieutenant." He still hasn't and one has to wonder how long it will be before he can reach that point. It's understandable since for his time period, it was probably weird to call anyone by their first name without some sort of solid familiarity.

It's hard not to feel camaraderie after facing a headless horseman with a shotgun and continuing the fight against the forces of hell though. :allears:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Midnight City posted:

That just adds to the charm for me. I've only known him as the 7 Up soda guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGs-6oyGbdE

I always think of him as Snack in Father of the Pride. "Would anyone like a tall, frosty glass of ... MURDER?"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He was one of the few good things about the first season of Mad TV.

fariz
Nov 10, 2009

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
I'm 0 for 2 trying to get people in to this show :negative:
I've gotten to watch it 3 times :woop:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

fariz posted:

I'm 0 for 2 trying to get people in to this show :negative:
I've gotten to watch it 3 times :woop:
Get new friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I've converted a few people. I also heard some of my co-workers talking about it last week and getting some other co-workers into watching it. :D

• Locked thread