Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I want to buy all the things on Rakuten but now I am concerned that my box full of random Sega Saturn, Famicom, and SFC games is going to be like 200 dollars shipping :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Sorry didn't want to spam up the thread, and realized I'm way late to the game. (Got a 3 score on the color test.)

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Quidnose posted:

concerned that my box full of random Sega Saturn, Famicom, and SFC games is going to be like 200 dollars shipping :v:

Hey, no box theorizing. :colbert:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Alright, Rakuten order placed. I have no idea if I'm using this Tenso forwarding thing correctly. We'lllll see how this ends up going, haha.

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜
Thanks for the tips on PSX puzzlers. IQ is blast.

Heading to Taiwan for the weekend and did a quick search for retro prospects. Anyone know anything about the Super A'can? I can't see to get an example price for one, let alone if they can output RGB. If it's not too :retrogames:, then I might see if I came pick one up along with a game or two.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

No wonder that cop went on such a crazy shooting rampage. He doesnt have much longer to live and wants to go out with a bang.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Who the gently caress would buy cancer from the internet, what's wrong with you

e. I mean you don't even know what kind of cancer it is

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

11 cents for the only version of NiGHTS where you can play as Sonic. Wonderful.

I used an action replay code so that the number of attempts remaining in the reward minigame never decreased which sped up the process but also messed up the camera. Got to Sonic mode much quicker.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Nevermind

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
11 cents for Nights, how do they even make any money stocking games that are so valueless? They'd be better off throwing the games out and turning their warehouse into a rented storage unit at that price. Still, it makes a great service for collectors.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Because they're that cheap doesn't mean they're poo poo or don't move... it's just the kind of overflow you have out here with old sports games people can't give away because everyone has them and anyone who doesn't couldn't give a poo poo.

Imagine selling someone halfway around the world a box full of $1/lb sports games.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Since 32xs and SegaCDs have been skyrocketing in price, I think we should all start buying these before people remember that they exist:

Alright, the sega channel is expensive as gently caress, but I don't think anyone actually buys them so I'm sure the price will come down.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Someone needs to come up with a new way to do netplay on consoles that had XBand and poo poo.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

ACID POLICE posted:

Someone needs to come up with a new way to do netplay on consoles that had XBand and poo poo.

Must have missed my post on this a while back. Promising but still early days!

http://www.retrocollect.com/News/snesoip-brings-online-multiplayer-to-the-super-nintendo.html

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I did see that (and I'm really excited for it to be a thing, I'm going to kick all of your asses in Tetris Attack) but there's no such thing for the Genesis yet ;)

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

ACID POLICE posted:

SUCK IT LOSERS.PNG

what do we do now

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Asbrandt posted:

Its not the exact same line down the middle, but it is voltage-spike-related jailbars and its mostly fixed the same way TmEE used for his non-1CHIP SNES, except the pin to use is well known.

Is my next step to solder a capacitor to each 5v pin on the 160 pin chip all at the same time? I'll give that a shot.

I was even thinking, maybe with the TI amp I can tap luma, chroma, and composite, and output those to the A/V port and fix the issue over s-video and composite as well. Would having two TI amps (one for s-video and composite, the other for RGB) along with an optical audio mod "overload" the 5V?

And on the Sega CD chat, the model 1 laser replacements (JVC Optima 5S) are insanely hard to come by now and go for over $60 if you are even lucky enough to find one. I guess that means my broken model 1 will remain that way. :( I mean seriously, not that long ago you used to be able to buy a working model 1 for $60; now it's that much just for the laser, and I can't even buy that laser anywhere??

This is really, really going to suck in a few years when all model 1 lasers are dead and replacement lasers no longer exist. :sigh:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

orphean posted:

I really want a SegaCD guys :negative: Is there a best option when it comes to Genesis model/Sega CD model I should be looking for?

I have a model 2 w/ butt adapter sitting under my bed I've been needing to offload. Warning though: it will only read legit cds. I cannot get any burned cd to work past the first track.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Hard Corps is the best Contra game and I wish Konami would work out their crap with Sega so we could get it on Virtual Console.

I was about to correct you and say it was on VC since I played it last Christmas with my brother, but then I remembered it was on a softmodded Wii and that game was on there specifically because it wasn't on the official VC. :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Quidnose posted:

Alright, Rakuten order placed. I have no idea if I'm using this Tenso forwarding thing correctly. We'lllll see how this ends up going, haha.

That's some nice selections. Anger Chief Bee is awesome! :v:

Kilroy posted:

what do we do now

Color off! First person to bring me octarine is the true color master!

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I have an old as balls Sanyo LCD Tv, when I hook up my Sega Genesis with the standard Red/Yellow/White cables, there is severe button delay (When I hit jump, the character onscreen jumps a split second later). Would getting a scart cable for my Genesis and a scart to HDMI converter generally remedy this?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I have an old as balls Sanyo LCD Tv, when I hook up my Sega Genesis with the standard Red/Yellow/White cables, there is severe button delay (When I hit jump, the character onscreen jumps a split second later). Would getting a scart cable for my Genesis and a scart to HDMI converter generally remedy this?

Do you have something with HDMI you can plug into the TV to test delay with? Ideally a laptop with that stopwatch app you can take a picture of. If there's a substantial delay with HDMI too, there's nothing you can do short of replacing the TV.

VV Sounds like your composite in may have a processing delay for some reason. Odd that the S-Video doesn't, though. As a sanity check I'd try and track down a composte-to-S-Video adapter, since that'll be cheaper and less risky than going whole hog on an upscaler.

univbee fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 27, 2013

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I can play N64 with s-video without any issues and PS3 on HDMI with no issues. I can play Sonic 1 on my PS3, but not Genesis, basically. Does that help?

I'm just getting sick of getting old tube TVs off freecycle to play my old games.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Do you have more than one Genesis controller? Does it have the delay with both?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

zenintrude posted:

Do you have more than one Genesis controller? Does it have the delay with both?

A controller delay didn't even occur to me. When you turn on/off the Genesis is the screen output delayed? If not then it's the controller or something not on the TV side.

VV If you turn off the system and it takes the same half-second for the TV to realize, then there's a delay on the composite input and you'll need to convert the signal to something else, the cheapest solution being S-Video if that works fine.

univbee fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 27, 2013

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I use the genesis almost every day on a 13 inch tube TV with no issues. The Genesis seems to work fine. I just want to be able to play it on the big TV in my living room. My old roommate had the same problem when he hooked up his Super Nintendo to this TV. The TV is a Sanyo from 2008. I have read that these old TVs have these super-slow up scalers, and it doesn't have a game mode, so I can't stop the TV from trying to upscale the Genesis.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 27, 2013

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
The TV has a crappy upscaler (don't feel bad, most TVs do) coupled with typical LCD lag and you are pretty much guaranteed lag.

Did you check if your TV has an option for "game mode"? Turn off any extra "picture enhancement" nonsense in your TV options as well.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Peenmaster posted:

Since 32xs and SegaCDs have been skyrocketing in price, I think we should all start buying these before people remember that they exist:

Alright, the sega channel is expensive as gently caress, but I don't think anyone actually buys them so I'm sure the price will come down.

Ok since I have a Sega Channel adapter (complete except for box, if it even came in one originally) and I was curious what the going prices were. Prices were all over the place, but the reason I'm posting is because I saw these during my searching:

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 27, 2013

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

The TV has a crappy upscaler (don't feel bad, most TVs do) coupled with typical LCD lag and you are pretty much guaranteed lag.

Did you check if your TV has an option for "game mode"? Turn off any extra "picture enhancement" nonsense in your TV options as well.

Sorry, I edited this in my last post as you were making your post. No game mode. If I want my Genesis to work on the TV without a delay, the image needs to be at least 480i going in, like the N64 on s-video, or the TV tries to upscale. The 1080p videos of Sega Genesis do look pretty nice. I might go for it anyway.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 27, 2013

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Sorry, I edited this in my last post as you were making your post. No game mode. If I want my Genesis to work on the TV without a delay, the image needs to be at least 480i going in, like the N64 on s-video, or the TV tries to upscale. The 1080p videos of Sega Genesis do look pretty nice. I might go for it anyway.

You could probably find an inexpensive upscaler to bring it up to 480p or more, but it might not look great. In the end, you may as well just succumb to the XRGB-Mini like the rest of us. I'm saving my pennies for one while I wait for the UniversalPPU guy to get his project out the door.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
He said that N64 works over S-Video which is 480i as well... I don't think the scaler is at fault. Are the composite & s-video inputs completely different inputs? It could just be that the composite input is faulty. Got anything else you can test it with? Try RF on the Genesis?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
He did, but don't SNES and Genesis output 240p natively? Most modern TVs don't have scalers designed to handle anything less than 480i, from what I've read. If that's the case, bringing it up to 480i (which, I realize, is just interlaced 240p) could theoretically solve the problem. It's definitely possible it's an issue with the composite input on the TV as well.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

What if you really love the Nightmare on Elm Street NES game and wish there was some way that you could display that affection. Well I have something for you!

It can go right next to your NES Jason action figure and those Bubble Bath Babe figurines.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Friday the 13th was the superior NES title though.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

G-Prime posted:

He did, but don't SNES and Genesis output 240p natively? Most modern TVs don't have scalers designed to handle anything less than 480i, from what I've read. If that's the case, bringing it up to 480i (which, I realize, is just interlaced 240p) could theoretically solve the problem. It's definitely possible it's an issue with the composite input on the TV as well.

240p isn't technically a thing. All pre-Dreamcast video game consoles will only output an NTSC (480i) or PAL (576i) signal. The only thing the console might be doing differently is a slightly-off framerate that the TV is delaying to compensate for (I'm not even sure this is a thing that happens, it's just a theory).

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

G-Prime posted:

Only when using rgb output. Composite and s-video are always 480i

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

univbee posted:

240p isn't technically a thing. All pre-Dreamcast video game consoles will only output an NTSC (480i) or PAL (576i) signal. The only thing the console might be doing differently is a slightly-off framerate that the TV is delaying to compensate for (I'm not even sure this is a thing that happens, it's just a theory).

Its not an official broadcast format, but it definitely is a "thing" (we had this full convo in YOSPOS months ago.) Modern tv's usually either handle it as 480i, resulting in a reduction of image quality, or just balk at it and you get no signal. Its possible his s-video and composite inputs handle it differently (ive had composite and component inputs on the tv handle things differently), or he was lucky and played some n64 games at first that output at 480i (SOME games will do a 480i output with the expansion pack, though usually only in menus. Resident evil 2 will switch between 480i and 240p a lot with the expansion pack).

edit: ^^^^Pretty sure output doesn't matter with the snes and genesis, its going to be 240p. Mixing rgb into composite or s-video doesn't inherently change the signal in that manner^^^^^^

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 27, 2013

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Its possible his s-video and composite inputs handle it differently (ive had composite and component inputs on the tv handle things differently)

I just remembered: usually comb filters are TV-side for composite inputs, and device-side for S-Video. I remember this being a thing because modern LaserDisc collectors are generally recommended to use composite instead of S-Video because their TV's comb filter is pretty much guaranteed to be much better than what even the most expensive LaserDisc players have because they're so old.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

univbee posted:

I just remembered: usually comb filters are TV-side for composite inputs, and device-side for S-Video. I remember this being a thing because modern LaserDisc collectors are generally recommended to use composite instead of S-Video because their TV's comb filter is pretty much guaranteed to be much better than what even the most expensive LaserDisc players have because they're so old.

I can say without a doubt that my laserdisc player looks WAY better over composite than it ever did in s-video. Sadly I don't have any s-video capable tvs anymore but whenever I did try it would look like rear end drug through mud and was like letterbox in letterbox, MONSTROUS bars at top/bottom/left/right.

Also let me say playing a mini audio cd in a laserdisc player is so much fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

flyboi posted:

He said that N64 works over S-Video which is 480i as well... I don't think the scaler is at fault. Are the composite & s-video inputs completely different inputs? It could just be that the composite input is faulty. Got anything else you can test it with? Try RF on the Genesis?

I think the N64 isn't always running in 480? Isn't that why when I play Resident Evil 2 on the N64, every time I bring up the option menu my screen blanks out for 4 seconds while it adjusts?

• Locked thread