Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

demota posted:

More adventures in OSL.

Am I overdoing it? Also, I am bad at faces.

Instead of doing the entire base as glowing, why not grab a few of something like these and have the OSL coming from there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
I ran out of primer and therefore things to paint, so to kill some time until I get some more, I chopped up some old sprue's and city of death building scrap and did actually make some bases for the Deathwing squad that I said I wouldn't bother basing. I also realised that I don't actually own any black paint so I couldn't paint the rims.

I neatened a few of the highlights up too, but now that I see the picture I noticed I forgot to blackline/brownline front part of the helmet of the 4th guy. Also the first guy has been knocked over by the Assault Cannon.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hermetic posted:

Guardian heavy weapon platform weapons work on war walkers, right?

The old metals ones work with each other but the new plastics do not fit in the old metal ones.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

LingcodKilla posted:

The old metals ones work with each other but the new plastics do not fit in the old metal ones.

But if I were to, say, buy a bunch of plastic guardian platform weapons, would they fit on a plastic war walker?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hermetic posted:

But if I were to, say, buy a bunch of plastic guardian platform weapons, would they fit on a plastic war walker?

Nothing a hobby knife couldn't fix I'm sure. Plastic is magical like that.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

LingcodKilla posted:

Nothing a hobby knife couldn't fix I'm sure. Plastic is magical like that.

:doh: You know, I just realized I'm home now, not at school/work.

I can check these things myself, with the guardian weapons sitting in my assembly box.

Yes, they fit. If anyone but me was wondering.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I just discovered shading flesh with purple and oh god the flesh wash from Reaper is the most amazing thing :circlefap:
Looking forward to learning the violet pigment.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 25, 2013

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Anyone has any advice on painting glowing eyes? Specifically for powered armor (WH40K and Infinity both apply here).

On that note, what is a good color for said eyes to go with white/yellow or white/gold armor scheme? I was thinking bright gold for the prior, and blue for the latter.

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010

Weissritter posted:

Anyone has any advice on painting glowing eyes? Specifically for powered armor (WH40K and Infinity both apply here).

On that note, what is a good color for said eyes to go with white/yellow or white/gold armor scheme? I was thinking bright gold for the prior, and blue for the latter.

Treat it like a normal highlight. Paint eye the base colour, blackline it, then paint the outside a dark colour. Do a midtone, and then a highlight.

Also, yellow or red OSL don't work as well as green or blue.

Frantz
Jan 10, 2013

richyp posted:

I ran out of primer and therefore things to paint, so to kill some time until I get some more, I chopped up some old sprue's and city of death building scrap and did actually make some bases for the Deathwing squad that I said I wouldn't bother basing. I also realised that I don't actually own any black paint so I couldn't paint the rims.

These look awesome mate, I might just steal your idea with the sprues. Mine usually just goes in the trash.

For content:
I recently started work on my nurgle obliterators which I have been putting off since forever. Very intimidating models to a novice painter. But when you get to cultist number 13 in a row, it just isn't as fun anymore, and since I ran out of terminators to do in between, now it is these guys' turn to be in the spotlight. It is also the first time I've tried painting before assembling, but it made it much easier to paint him without his giant disgusting arms and head sitting in the way (I gave him a head from the spawn set).

Any thoughts/criticism? (except for the picture quality, I know, okay?! :blush:)

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

Frantz posted:

These look awesome mate, I might just steal your idea with the sprues. Mine usually just goes in the trash.

For content:
I recently started work on my nurgle obliterators which I have been putting off since forever. Very intimidating models to a novice painter. But when you get to cultist number 13 in a row, it just isn't as fun anymore, and since I ran out of terminators to do in between, now it is these guys' turn to be in the spotlight. It is also the first time I've tried painting before assembling, but it made it much easier to paint him without his giant disgusting arms and head sitting in the way (I gave him a head from the spawn set).

Any thoughts/criticism? (except for the picture quality, I know, okay?! :blush:)

They look like they're in a dream sequence.

Or a flashback to life when they were happy and got to frolic in gardens.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
I usually don't post WIP's, but then again my Storm Strider is a pretty big project and I like where I'm at so far! Got the base and bottom half done, also the second model ever that I've bothered to pin.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Frantz posted:

For content:

Thanks, as much as I dread making bases, it's actually quite therapeutic. So much so that I've just made and primed another 30 :cry:

In actual modelling/painting news the wait for next batch of models has meant that I've painted about 15 more tactical marines and am about to start on the last 5. Look's like I'll actually have a painted playable army by this weekend, not that I play or there's anything special about the weekend either. Once these are done, I'll probably get a load of Chaos Demons and paint them up for a friend who's been nagging me for a while.

Quite a productive September, and burnout levels are still low.

(The Company Master is from last year, might fix his cloth a bit and match the highlights to the new scheme)

EDIT: I've got 5 more Terminators and another squad of 10 Tactical Marines to arrive then I'm pretty much done with the Dark Angels for a bit.

richyp fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 25, 2013

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

demota posted:

More adventures in OSL.

Am I overdoing it? Also, I am bad at faces.

If I understand this right you were very ambitious in trying to make dress seem thin enough for the light to go through, but the OSL effect is only convincing on the right arm and the chest. The rest looks pretty neat but not like it's being hit with light.

The face is great, looks like she has hosed up mascara on (not a hosed up paintjob).

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
So I spent about 5 full days working on my first squad of space mans. I’ve really learned to appreciate matte medium and flow improver for blending. Also Casandora Yellow- I don’t know what they put into this stuff, but its literal magic for yellow colors.

Naturally, that means I want a cheaper DIY version so I can spray it from my airbrush. Anybody here have a recipe? I’m going to try a mix of indian yellow and flame orange to start.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 25, 2013

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I really should write how I painted certain things down. For the life of me I cant remember how I did Fulgrims base and i'm going to have to recreate it on Ferrus Mannus.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

I really should write how I painted certain things down. For the life of me I cant remember how I did Fulgrims base and i'm going to have to recreate it on Ferrus Mannus.

This is always the worst.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

serious gaylord posted:

With the amount of breaks I take when painting I usually write down in a notebook the recipes I used for certain parts of minis.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

TastyAvocado posted:

This is always the worst.

I got sidetracked halfway through my warhound and more or less forgot how I painted the red on the armour to this point. Yay me.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Keep a mini note pad at your painting station guys. The only problem I have is reading my own hand writing :bang:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I have a bunch of .txt files floating around my desktop with paint schemes for a bunch of armies I've done up, and a few for armies I've never even started.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Red Herring posted:

Treat it like a normal highlight. Paint eye the base colour, blackline it, then paint the outside a dark colour. Do a midtone, and then a highlight.

Also, yellow or red OSL don't work as well as green or blue.

Blackline - to outline the eye with black?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So, first time doing African skin:

I need to fix up her thigh, but it turned out better than I thought. I'm pushing myself a bit on this paintjob, but I'm not aiming for crazy golden daemon/crystal brush level. High end tabletop is all I need!

I gave her a brownish-red lipstick color without making her look like a clown, but I have no idea how to highlight/shade/make the white dot to have it look shiny and wet (without looking like spittle). I can post a picture later, but it looks a little too flat head on... it might be because of the fact that the rest of the model is still black, minus the cards. Any generic tutorials/painting advice on lipstick, especially for black women?

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
What colors did you use for the general skin tone? I've failed every time I've tried.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

LordAba posted:

So, first time doing African skin:

I need to fix up her thigh, but it turned out better than I thought. I'm pushing myself a bit on this paintjob, but I'm not aiming for crazy golden daemon/crystal brush level. High end tabletop is all I need!

I gave her a brownish-red lipstick color without making her look like a clown, but I have no idea how to highlight/shade/make the white dot to have it look shiny and wet (without looking like spittle). I can post a picture later, but it looks a little too flat head on... it might be because of the fact that the rest of the model is still black, minus the cards. Any generic tutorials/painting advice on lipstick, especially for black women?

If you have a fine brush, since you're going for the stereotype voodoo sorceress anyways you might as well go for the black/white skull pattern lipstick. Another good shade would be bright purple or green which would contrast with your color scheme well. Also holy poo poo is Agrax Earthshade gods gift to painting dark skin tone. Dark Reds and Purples along with certain Greens, White and Tans are good colors to pair with dark skin tones. It also depends on how you're gonna paint the snake, you could say, match the lipstick to the snake's color or the color of it's belly or spots for instance.

Unfortunately the only picture I have of a mini I've done in those color schemes is this one, and this was taken when my lightbox's lamp was out so the quality isn't the best but it gives you a good idea of what I'm talking about :

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ Thanks! I think I'll wait until more details come into place before worrying about the lips than. I do plan on a red dress (because I hate myself) and I am initially thinking of an albino ball python (because I also hate myself?) though matches those colors will be tough!

Direwolf posted:

What colors did you use for the general skin tone? I've failed every time I've tried.

It's kind of a bastardization of Perry's work: http://www.perry-miniatures.com/pages.php?page=painting-dark-african-skin

I used a mix of black and Mechanicus Standard Grey, with a tiny touch of Castellan Green to get roughly the equivalent of Vallejo Black Grey. Slap that all over the skin.
Mixed Rhinox Hide in to the above mix to get the brown flesh color, paint that all over minus the extreme shades/cracks.
I did two highlight layers by mixing in small amounts of Celestra Grey to the above mix, hitting the raised areas. Having an overhead light source you can use is a huge help in placing highlights!

I skipped the washing steps above since the grey highlights are a little more subtle than in his instructions and don't look too out of place. Plus I suck at controlling washes and tide marks/unevenness on the skin would kill this model.

Goat Bouillabaise
Sep 21, 2005
Strike Force DUMBASS!
Crosspostin' from the 40k thread.

quote:

I'd mentioned earlier today that I converted a Valk kit I had lying around into one of these. I made it as kind of a modeling challenge, where it had to be 95% made up of parts in the kit, with very little else. I think it's turned out okay so far, but I'd really like your opinions.

lovely cellphone pics, of course. I can't seem to take any other kind.

I still need to seal gaps with greenstuff and apply magnets for the weapon pylons. What do you think?

EDIT: Nnnngh need to replace that defense cannon barrel with a stubber soon as possible ffffff.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Goat Bouillabaise posted:

Awsum converted Valk

Needs more Dakka, and a red paint job. Otherwise pretty sweet.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Goat Bouillabaise posted:

Crosspostin' from the 40k thread.

Dats a good 'un boss!

I love having an airbrush. Less than 40 minutes total work to prime and do 2 layers of both black and white without having to worry about brush marks n' such (though I have some white that sprayed over I'll need to touch up). If you don't have one, go get one. Now.

Anyone have any good videos on doing blending with an airbrush or something else a bit different I could try? That hour video on the basics by Ken Schlotfeldt was great for maintenance and such, but is there any other airbrush+model painting tutorials people recommend?

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
1:56 planetFaller commander complete:

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Hellbeard posted:

I love everything about this, but the hand is so ... :gay:

Akay
Apr 7, 2009

Oxford Comma posted:

I love everything about this, but the hand is so ... :gay:

I wasnt going to say it cause it's awesome, but it is a little bit off looking. it would be better if he was pointing with 2 fingers and had ring/pinky rolled in?

Like I get the motion but without the actual action happening its hard to get that across in a model

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Hellbeard posted:

I wanted to say something because it's been too long since someone has commented on your awesome sculpts, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

I think the head is a bit too big and the torso a bit too small. The pose is a bit odd but that is secondary to the proportions being off.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Since we're all piling on and I don't think Hellbeard minds, I'll repeat the thing that always catches my eye (I've mentioned this before): I think your feet are usually too short.

If you look at a typical combat boot:

The distance from heel to toe is roughly equal to the distance from sole to the top of the boot, and that distance is about half the distance from sole to the knee. By comparison, your dudes have stubby short feet, maybe a little too wide as well.

I actually think the head size is OK (slightly too big is better than slightly too small, and that helmet can be interpreted as being extra-bulky) but I agree the torso is maybe slightly too squat.

Overall though I think the quality of your sculpting is still improving a lot with each new model you do, and I really like that you're experimenting with more interesting poses than "man standing bolt upright holding a gun at the ready."

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
I think it's the combination of the angle of the elbow and the bend of the fingers. It seems like he's being caught mid-motion rather than at one of the pause points in an action, which can be much harder to properly convey. Imagine that figure but with his arm bent and hand held up in more of a "Hold Up!" motion, or with his hand flat and lowered in a kind of "get down" motion. With the arm as it is, it might make sense if he is pointing (as previously mentioned) but it's hard for me to interpret what the inferred action is with the open palm and generally relaxed arm.

Also I agree that the head seems tall, but internally I chalked it up to the helmet. One way or another it still looks distorted (I mean, no one thinks Eldar really have giant pointy heads, but they still look that way) but I also think you can just run with it as part of the visual style. The torsos are maybe a little bit on the short side, but I don't think it's too odd (except maybe on the soldier on the right side of the picture). The feet could probably use 10-20% more length.

Hubis fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 27, 2013

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Hellbeard posted:

Every time you say planetfaller I think of Planetfall, the old Infocom game.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Finished this up last week but just got around to taking pictures of it. It's an Aegis painted up for my Valhallans:

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I'am probably around 80% done painting my Tau, but now I have such an urge to start a specific SM chapter. Pretty much want to do it for a painting project since all the fun models to paint in my Tau army are done and I've thought about putting together a well done Ultramarine army for a long time. I know Honor Guard aren't that great, but an entire SM Ultramarine army with H.G./S.G./V.G. painted up would like so nice.

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
Cross posting from the Oath thread:

Finally done, so now I can stop posting pictures of them everywhere. Hooray!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Thanks very much for the comments! They'll come in handy with the next sculpt.

• Locked thread