Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

StealthArcher posted:

Who exactly the gently caress did you go with in Windy shithole here? MTS doesn't even offer over 20mbps

I cannot read the words that are on the screens, ignore me.

FYI MTS is rolling out 50/5 using pair bonding to parts of Winnipeg where fibre is still to expensive to run, not sure how long it will take them to reach certain area though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Anyone have the Telus 25 or 50 plans? I have the Optik 15 and it looks like 25 + 50 are available in my area now, and I'm wondering if I can just call up to upgrade or if they need to send someone out to swap out the modem or anything.

Also curious to hear what kind of speeds people get with it.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

priznat posted:

Anyone have the Telus 25 or 50 plans? I have the Optik 15 and it looks like 25 + 50 are available in my area now, and I'm wondering if I can just call up to upgrade or if they need to send someone out to swap out the modem or anything.

Also curious to hear what kind of speeds people get with it.

You can call and upgrade. I get around 50/22-25.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

drat, that's pretty sweet! Might just kill the movie channels (got it for GoT, not on now anyway) and move the $$ over to the faster internet.

My current setup:

Grade C! :mad:

priznat fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 29, 2013

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The best I can get is 7, so I'll hear none of that.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

So got FibreOp setup yesterday in our new apartment. Setup was simple as the unit has a FTTP panel and CAT5 drops in every room. The STB are all on CAT5 in each room. The the ONT is Alcantel-Lucent with a UPS and the home router is a Actiontec R1000H

(on wifi with one STB running)

The Actiontec is doing some routing for the STB VLAN's so I don't think I can pull it out but we're going to turn off its wifi and put a 5ghz router behind it. It only has a 2.4Ghz and in an apartment building it's kinda useless.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

gently caress YEAH, CANADA!

70GB/MONTH FOR $60 @ 5MBPS WITH 50% PACKET LOSS?

SURE WHY NOT WE'RE A MONOPOLY.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 1, 2013

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm paying slightly over seventy for 90 gigs now, since Rogers seems to be whittling away at the old Better Choice Bundle discounts. Think it's finally time to talk with the roommate about switching to Teksavvy.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

$50 for unlimited internet. :smug:

...at 7Mbps. :smithicide:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

El Scotch posted:

$50 for unlimited internet. :smug:

...at 7Mbps. :smithicide:

7 Mbps is actually enough for Netflix Super HD. Rejoice!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I pay cogeco for 20mbps and it was doing 1mbps last night as usual.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Methanar posted:

gently caress YEAH, CANADA!

70GB/MONTH FOR $60 @ 5MBPS WITH 50% PACKET LOSS?

SURE WHY NOT WE'RE A MONOPOLY.

What kind of equipment do they use? Wireless ISP's can be a fickle thing. The cap for them I can understand because I assume you live in the middle of buttfuck nowhere.

Have you tried phoning and troubleshooting?

edit:

lol went on their site http://www.mcsnet.ca/services-wireless.php and if they are actually using 900MHz Canopy then you're getting MAX 3Mb down. The access point can only support 4Mb/s so if anyone but you is using it it will go to poo poo.

Otherwise if those pictures are accurate they are using the best PMP wireless equipment and they're either oversubscribed or have a poor backend.

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Oct 1, 2013

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Yeah, there's no way you were ever going to get 5 meg on a 900mhz connection. To get stable, consistent 5 meg over wireless you generally want either 2.4 or 5ghz, a channel width of 20mhz and a signal strength somewhere under -70dBm, which is hard to achieve without line of sight to the tower.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Just bought some of the new 2.4 450 equipment. Can't wait to see how it performs. The link budgets look amazing.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

quote:

What kind of equipment do they use? Wireless ISP's can be a fickle thing. The cap for them I can understand because I assume you live in the middle of buttfuck nowhere.

Have you tried phoning and troubleshooting?

edit:

lol went on their site http://www.mcsnet.ca/services-wireless.php and if they are actually using 900MHz Canopy then you're getting MAX 3Mb down. The access point can only support 4Mb/s so if anyone but you is using it it will go to poo poo.

Otherwise if those pictures are accurate they are using the best PMP wireless equipment and they're either oversubscribed or have a poor backend.
Nitr0 hosed around with this message at Oct 1, 2013 around 12:44 PM

All of the above. I've sent so many emails to their (one man) customer support he just answers them as "what do you want" as a header now.

http://n1.netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/restore/id=43ca253f-22553-ae0615d6-9819-4cf0-bec7/rd
Here is my test.

Highlights include:

Network performance (?): Latency: 83 ms, Loss: 17.5%–
The round-trip time (RTT) between your computer and our server is 83 ms, which is good.We recorded a packet loss of 18%. This loss is very significant and will lead to serious performance problems. It could be due either to very high load on our servers due to a large number of visitors, or problems in your network. All the packet loss appears to have occurred on the path from our server to your computer.
During most of Netalyzr's execution, the client continuously measures the state of the network in the background, looking for short outages. During testing, the client observed 2 such outages. The longest outage lasted for 0.8 seconds. This suggests a general problem with the network where connectivity is intermittent.

Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 3:50 PM
To: Brandon
Subject: Re: Severe packet loss. Still

Hi Brandon;

It's interesting that it would pick a server in Idaho. I just tried a quick test and it picked the one in Washington, so their server selection doesn't seem to account for proximity or response time, but it did respond well at the time to Washington, Idaho, and the 4web one in Edmonton. I'll have to try it in the evening to make sure it can keep it up.

The ICMP packets used with pinging are useful for many tests, but because they share the lowest priority, they aren't as indicative of performance when going through busy links.

When information is sent over the Internet, the packets being sent have different priorities, so the time sensitive streaming video, gaming, and VoIP packets are first out before emails and webpages, and then below everything is the ICMP packets used for pings, they have zero priority, and there's many servers that won't reply them for maximum performance. Let's say you have a 20 Mbps link with 4 people each sharing an equal 5 Mbps piece of it, if a 5th person was to join in with regular traffic, they would each then get 4 Mbps equally to use the 20 Mbps, but if it's just a ping from the 5th person, then the 5th persons traffic doesn't get a 'piece of the pie' and the performance will appear to be dismal as there will be no space made for the ping.

20% packet loss would be show stopping for any regular traffic, where small webpages don't even finish loading. This doesn't mean that there are no issues, but our automated monitoring was seeing a less than 50 ms round trip time to the radio at your place around 7pm last night, that's from the server in St. Paul, to Edmonton, to Marwayne, and then to the radio.

Heres one of his responses. Which you will find to be completely loving irrelevant of my problem of "I have 50% packet loss"

Methanar fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 1, 2013

mewse
May 2, 2006

That's a pretty standard "we can't do poo poo" email, speaking as a tech support idiot

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
If that's the owner's response then I would cancel service. Is there any other options?

All wireless ISP's are not run the same. Unfortunately there's a lot of lovely ones that don't really know what they're doing.

Get him to paste some screenshots of the following

If there's ethernet errors then you've got a cable problem. If your signal sucks then it's an alignment / interference issue. You can also get him to run a linktest.

There's no reason to have that much packet loss and not come up with a solution for you.

Nitr0 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 1, 2013

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
It probably wouldn't hurt to run a few traceroutes at your end (although really they should be doing this), so you can point at it and go "Look, look at how slow your loving backbones are".

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Done that.

He just gives the usual "ICMP PACKETS HAVE ZERO PRIORITY, NOT AN ACCURATE TEST" and then completely ignores that even the highest priority packets flat out don't get through.

And to the guy who suggested that I check my signal to see if it actually is my ISP; what I linked in my 2 pictures only happens between the hours of 3 - 11pm. Prime Time. These greedy monopolistic motherfuckers have over sold themselves so much. In one of my 20+ emails with the sole customer support guy I asked him very specifically how the load is between the hours of 3-11. While he didn't answer me he did tell me their actual servers for my region have a 20mbps line and they divide that up between up to ONE THOUSAND PEOPLE.

20/1000= 0.02mbps per person.

So when I had my .9 mbps I was sharing 20mbps with around 200 other people at the exact same time.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 1, 2013

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
cool. cancel your connection.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

priznat posted:

drat, that's pretty sweet! Might just kill the movie channels (got it for GoT, not on now anyway) and move the $$ over to the faster internet.

My current setup:

I know this is a little late priznat, but I am on teksavvy down in Lethbridge. I pretty reliably pull 22-24/2.8

Only thing that fluctuates is ping. I am almost always geolocated to Vancouver which seems to give me about 30ms pings. Never effected me though.

Only issues was hiccups in setup which delayed a week. I give that to telus's stellar incompetence though more than anything.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

priznat posted:

My current setup:

This is pretty much me and it makes me irrationally angry because there's no way to get better upload because gently caress telus. I just want to stream at something higher than 60x40 you stupid loving assholes

The two better plans aren't available where I live because ???

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I did the online chat thing to upgrade to the faster plan, but they were back logged and after 15 minutes in the queue I went and did something else. Maybe I will try again, someday!

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I've just got Telus Optik and, whilst I'm mostly happy with it and find it very fast, I've found that the TV box spams the poo poo out of my network with IGMP multicast packets whilst it's turned on. All the other machines on my network are receiving a sustained 600kbs whilst the TV box is running which, whilst not the end of the world, is pretty annoying.

Has anyone else encountered this?

an actual cat irl fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 17, 2013

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

moron posted:

I've just got Telus Optik and, whilst I'm mostly happy with it and find it very fast, I've found that the TV box spams the poo poo out of my network with IGMP multicast packets whilst it's turned on. All the other machines on my network are receiving a sustained 600kbs whilst the TV box is running which, whilst not the end of the world, is pretty annoying.

Has anyone else encountered this?

"only" 600kb/s? You poor thing.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Who's everyone using for their US exit provider these days? I'm considering ditching StrongVPN as the amount of ESL writing creeping onto their site is starting to worry me. I like having one-click security that I can use for my laptop on public WiFi so I've been using SSTP, but with SSL 3.0 being broken as gently caress I'm thinking OpenVPN might be better.

Like I said, all I want to do is tunnel anything that's going to hit airwaves and get Netflix/Pandora.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
OpenVPN works great for me and the customer service has been excellent. We use it for the same purposes.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
I use StrongVPN but honestly couldn't care less about their customer service, or grasp of the English language. Of the one or two times I have had issues with my selected server, I switched to another in the US and enjoyed continued service in minutes.

I'm an OpenVPN tunnel user as well, which supposedly might be a bit more effort to get/keep working, but it's no big deal.

Rand McNally
May 20, 2007
gently caress Bell. I'm paying for "Bell Internet 6", the best DSL I can get. I'm in between two towns but on the main road.

I want to switch to the cable offering but all of the TekSavvy stories I've been hearing lately have been putting me off. That, and my postal code covers both rural and slightly less rural areas, and whenever I call, they're not exactly sure I can get it.

It's terrible trying to freelance from home with this poo poo, though. Those numbers are 10% better than my usual, and that is sad.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
See if you can get start, they're pretty much where teksavvy was like 5 years ago.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Rand McNally posted:

gently caress Bell. I'm paying for "Bell Internet 6", the best DSL I can get. I'm in between two towns but on the main road.

I want to switch to the cable offering but all of the TekSavvy stories I've been hearing lately have been putting me off. That, and my postal code covers both rural and slightly less rural areas, and whenever I call, they're not exactly sure I can get it.

It's terrible trying to freelance from home with this poo poo, though. Those numbers are 10% better than my usual, and that is sad.

Yeah, if you can get Rogers, you can get Start or TekSavvy at this point. It's all anecdotal of course, but I've had few issues with TS (K-W here) - but they do have pretty terrible customer service; when we moved into our condo they were convinced we couldn't get service in this building. As it turns out, their postal code db wasn't updated since this is a new building and it has it's own postal code.

We're the only people in the building with TS or even Rogers, now, I think. Rogers was also confused by the code.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Ugh. The LTE on my Rogers iPhone demolishes my Cogeco cable wireless on the same phone. The cable has poo poo latency, poo poo bandwidth, and constantly drops. It's embarassing.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

mediaphage posted:

Yeah, if you can get Rogers, you can get Start or TekSavvy at this point. It's all anecdotal of course, but I've had few issues with TS (K-W here) - but they do have pretty terrible customer service; when we moved into our condo they were convinced we couldn't get service in this building. As it turns out, their postal code db wasn't updated since this is a new building and it has it's own postal code.

I don't really see how that qualifies as terrible customer service. Pretty much anyone you tried to get service from would encounter the same issue. It's the downside of moving into a brand new building.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

cowofwar posted:

Ugh. The LTE on my Rogers iPhone demolishes my Cogeco cable wireless on the same phone. The cable has poo poo latency, poo poo bandwidth, and constantly drops. It's embarassing.

Is it just the wireless is lovely? Probably just one of the lovely modem/router combos they hand out.(coming from a former tech suppport rep at a different company)

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

cowofwar posted:

Get everyone on LTE, uncap from 5gb and use LTE as home broadband and say that again :)

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

mediaphage posted:

We're the only people in the building with TS or even Rogers, now, I think. Rogers was also confused by the code.

I've found their customer service fairly decent. Nice, friendly and they speak english. The wait times for service can be atrocious, but that's more to due with Bell/Rogers dragging their asses.

As long as the service is working, it's great. If it goes down though and you need to wait for a Rogers tech you are hosed. In the 2 + years I've been with them for cable, I've been down 3 times and its never a quick fix. The years before that with them using DSL were a dream.

The first was a week after my connection was installed: During the installation of my services, the Rogers tech cut the cable line to the landlord, who lives on the main floor of the house. They had an active Rogers account at the time. I told the technician as much, but he still cut the line despite my objections. The following week when they came back to hook the landlord's cable/internet up again, they cut my line. It took a week before Rogers was willing to send someone out to fix their mistake. He also came before the time window and left before I could give him poo poo and make sure he didn't do anything wrong that time. TS gave me some off my bill but it wasn't enough.

I lost access for 3 days a few weeks back during a node split. My modem was unable to get an IP from Rogers DNS. This was back in September when everyone was having issues.

Halfway through September, I upped the speed on my connection to 35/3 which required a new modem. You better believe Rogers (probably) hosed that one up and took both modems offline. That lasted a day until they entered the correct MAC address into the system.

TSI CSRs are usually fairly nice and somewhat knowledgeable*. I don't get the usual sass from them when diagnosing issue like you would from bell or some of the other ISPs (looking at you Execulink. Telling me a website was in fact down and its wasn't a routing issue on your end until I called you out on it). I also like being able to talk to them through twitter/dslreports. gently caress calling. Their call wait times are bad (so you should reuqest a callback through twitter) and having to rely on bell/rogers/cogeco for technicians make any changes go at a snails pace.

Unlimited internet is pretty nice though.

* I went through various channels and not a single rep was able to tell me how many concurrent calls can be made on a TekTalk line. The network guys came back and told me its 1, but it's actually 3 if you are rolling your own PBX and not their ATA.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

A c E posted:

(looking at you Execulink. Telling me a website was in fact down and its wasn't a routing issue on your end until I called you out on it).

loving Execulink. I used to get dialup through them way back in the early nineties, and they were idiots then, too. Someone with a similar name canceled their account, and they killed mine instead... while charging us for keeping his going. The twit on the other end was really snippy until we walked her through the realization that they'd hosed the card numbers up.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

DarkJC posted:

I don't really see how that qualifies as terrible customer service. Pretty much anyone you tried to get service from would encounter the same issue. It's the downside of moving into a brand new building.

I didn't get into it, but they were super rude about it and basically said there's no possible way we could be right. It took over a month to get it straightened out.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

So, I recommended TekSavvy to my brother. He decided to go with a 20/2 cable package. He ordered it 8 weeks ago, it finally was installed today so I went over to his place after work to get the router going. Turns out there is major congestion in his area. He's pulling 0.86 mbit down and 2 up. Thanks, TekSavvy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

kiwid posted:

So, I recommended TekSavvy to my brother. He decided to go with a 20/2 cable package. He ordered it 8 weeks ago, it finally was installed today so I went over to his place after work to get the router going. Turns out there is major congestion in his area. He's pulling 0.86 mbit down and 2 up. Thanks, TekSavvy!

Do you know what Rogers customers are getting in the same area?