Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

Welcome back, guys! I liked the way Broken Nose Jiang jumped in to nominates Two Chins. She knew that if Big Smile Lee tried to get the spot and was denied that relations would be a lot worse between the group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

That might have been too leading a question. It felt like "Yeah, I know you probably killed him, what do you have to say about that?"

If I were Wei my report would not have been "I turned him into hamburger" or "I don't know where he is" but "The last I saw of him, I was chasing him on a boat and he got away. I think he's too scared to show his face in Hong Kong." Close enough to the truth to be verified by any other witnesses to the chase, good enough for rear end-covering, at least.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Seems like Jackie's superiors want to break his ties more than they want to have useful informants. They seem worried he'll go native.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
On the one hand, Wei's already a Red Pole who can afford to focus on cultivating ties to other Red Poles ("external" from the Water Street Boys) more than cultivating ties within said Water Street Boys (since he's had that poo poo locked down tight ever since the wedding)... on the other hand, Wei's already a Red Pole who if he turned would already have a belligerent armed faction ready-to-go.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Glad you guys are back and already back in form.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
So I'm pretty sure the chicken on a stick guy just stole your credit card. You give it to him and he hands you the food but doesn't give it back. And then... holy poo poo! Jackie! You... you just saved Wei from getting a Protagonist Injury! You were USEFUL! Hey man, that's great! And here I was thinking Jackie was just some punk who's stupid enough to buy counterfeit watches. Good to see he's still earned our trust. Kinda wondering WHERE he got that pistol from but meh. The Gun Dimension keeps its secrets I suppose.

And I kinda like that he's having a bit of a freakout about the whole thing, it's a nice touch. It's a nicer touch, I think, that despite it he still keeps his head on his shoulders when Wei prompts him that they need to leave. Rather than going catatonic on us he's clearly disturbed by what happened but he's not letting it control him. Also that line when we tell him he's getting his chance to be real Sun On Yee and he says it'll be our turn soon. Oh Jackie, your boyish naivete is charming.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Pendrew the old dude who shot that corpse? I thought Raymond was a different person. And who's Roland?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shoeless posted:

So I'm pretty sure the chicken on a stick guy just stole your credit card. You give it to him and he hands you the food but doesn't give it back. And then... holy poo poo! Jackie! You... you just saved Wei from getting a Protagonist Injury! You were USEFUL! Hey man, that's great! And here I was thinking Jackie was just some punk who's stupid enough to buy counterfeit watches. Good to see he's still earned our trust. Kinda wondering WHERE he got that pistol from but meh. The Gun Dimension keeps its secrets I suppose.

And I kinda like that he's having a bit of a freakout about the whole thing, it's a nice touch. It's a nicer touch, I think, that despite it he still keeps his head on his shoulders when Wei prompts him that they need to leave. Rather than going catatonic on us he's clearly disturbed by what happened but he's not letting it control him. Also that line when we tell him he's getting his chance to be real Sun On Yee and he says it'll be our turn soon. Oh Jackie, your boyish naivete is charming.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Pendrew the old dude who shot that corpse? I thought Raymond was a different person. And who's Roland?

Yeah, Pendrew's the rear end in a top hat. Raymond's the wet blanket.

And Roland is the guy who wants Wei to break legs for him so his loansharking business doesn't take a huge loss.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I don't recall if this was brought up before but there sure do seem to be a lot of western named guys in this Hong Kong gang. Ok, the English head of the operation makes sense, but to have the undercover informant be more traditionally named than the rest of the gang he's infiltrating seems odd.

On the one hand you have:
Winston
Jackie
Raymond
Roland
Dog Eyes

I mean at least when you get to the red poles and other gangs you at least get some more Chinese names/nicknames
Big Smile Lee
Broken Nose Jiang
Uncle Po
Wei Shen

Unless, of course, the Water Street Boys taking on Western first names as nicknames is kind of "a thing".

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

CzarChasm posted:

I don't recall if this was brought up before but there sure do seem to be a lot of western named guys in this Hong Kong gang. Ok, the English head of the operation makes sense, but to have the undercover informant be more traditionally named than the rest of the gang he's infiltrating seems odd.

On the one hand you have:
Winston
Jackie
Raymond
Roland
Dog Eyes

I mean at least when you get to the red poles and other gangs you at least get some more Chinese names/nicknames
Big Smile Lee
Broken Nose Jiang
Uncle Po
Wei Shen

Unless, of course, the Water Street Boys taking on Western first names as nicknames is kind of "a thing".

I thought there was a tradition in Hong Kong of giving kids an English name along with their Chinese name. It's how you get Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee, and Jet Li, among others.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I thought there was a tradition in Hong Kong of giving kids an English name along with their Chinese name. It's how you get Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee, and Jet Li, among others.

For countries like singapore or malayasia, it's common for people to have 'christian' or english names simply because it's easier for foreigners (like me! :sweatdrop:) to pronounce over their given name. I imagine it's a matter of convenience in hong kong too.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
My favorite Western/Eastern name combination is "Two Chin", because of the fact that they took a Chinese last name and then added an English loan word that makes the whole name into a play on words, making fun of the guy's appearance.

I just thought it was pretty clever. :shobon:

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Two Chin's name isn't actually Chin. That may still have been the intention though.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Yeah, I though that Big Smile Lee was also just a pun name without necessarily any connection to his real name. Although Broken Nose Jiang seems a little lazy.

Flat Banana
Jun 7, 2008
and broken Nose Jiang doesn't seem to have a broken nose. Although, I love Broken Nose Jiang. She seems to be the most Chinese to me - she actually pronounces Wei Shen with intonation and emphasises that Two Chin is << lei ge ciep toi yan>>.

I was disappointed in the initation rites though - first, there could have been more drama and emphasis on betrayers dying a thousand deaths - prompting a deeper inner conflict within Wei Shen, which is kind of partially discussed with Raymond in the subsequent scene. Secondly, there is a movie depiction of gangster initiation rites - the brothers cuts themselves and bleed into a cup of water, which they then share amongst each other to symbolise that they are now blood brothers, with a bond thicker than water. I would presume a scene similar to that would have deepened the inner conflict within Wei Shen, knowing that he must betray his brothers some day. What are the 36 oaths? Why are your fellow initiates dressed so shabbily?

Yeah, I feel that this is one of those places the lack of polish is realy apparent in the game.

Also, high five to Delacroix, SG/MY goons represent

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

Flat Banana posted:

and broken Nose Jiang doesn't seem to have a broken nose.

Rossi and I were discussing this during the cutscene, and we decided that she probably earned the nickname by just breaking a bunch of noses on her way up the ladder. :black101:

It's how I like to interpret it, anyway.

Flat Banana posted:

What are the 36 oaths? Why are your fellow initiates dressed so shabbily?

I assume they didn't show the 36 oaths because you really don't want the player to be going 'drat this cutscene is long as hell', whether or not that's a reasonable concern in this instance.

As for why they're dressed so shabbily, a combination of not wanting to have the art team make extra clothing for Jackie and what's his face (:v:) and the fact that it's equally as likely Wei Shen is showing up in boxer shorts and a pig mask.

New episode soon!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Chocolate Donuts posted:

I assume they didn't show the 36 oaths because you really don't want the player to be going 'drat this cutscene is long as hell', whether or not that's a reasonable concern in this instance.
Maybe it's similar to how authors describing how to make very real and dangerous things (Vince Gilligan for Breaking Bad, Richard Preston for The Cobra Event, etc.) purposely leave out certain steps and details so the kids won't--can't--try it at home.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Probably not very accurate but I found two different things, posting for anyone curious. One quoted, one linked. Any chance Wei Shen is immune to electricity? He can take swords and knives pretty well but I dunno about volts.

quote:

These are the commonly-accepted 36 oaths that a Triad member must promise to observe, if he wants to have a good and peaceful life as a member. It might help you in discerning what our white tiger might or might not do in a certain situation, given this code of conduct.

After having entered the Hung gates I must treat the parents and relatives of my sworn brothers as my own kin. I shall suffer death by five thunderbolts if I do not keep this oath.

I shall assist my sworn brothers to bury their parents and brothers by offering financial or physical assistance. I shall be killed by five thunderbolts if I pretend to have no knowledge of their troubles.

When Hung brothers visit my house, I shall provide them with board and lodging. I shall be killed by myriads of knives if I treat them as strangers.

I will always acknowledge my Hung brothers when they identify themselves. If I ignore them I will be killed by myriads of swords.

I shall not disclose the secrets of the Hung family, not even to my parents, brothers, or wife. I shall never disclose the secrets for money. I will be killed by myriads of swords if I do so.

I shall never betray my sworn brothers. If, through a misunderstanding, I have caused the arrest of one of my brothers I must release him immediately. If I break this oath I will be killed by five thunderbolts.

I will offer financial assistance to sworn brothers who are in trouble in order that they may pay their passage fee, etc. If I break this oath I will be killed by five thunderbolts.

I must never cause harm or bring trouble to my sworn brothers or Incense Master. If I do so I will be killed by myriads of swords.

I must never commit any indecent assaults on the wives, sisters, or daughters, of my sworn brothers. I shall be killed by five thunderbolts if I break this oath.

I shall never embezzle cash or property from my sworn brothers. If I break this oath I will be killed by myriads of swords.

I will take good care of the wives or children of sworn brothers entrusted to my keeping. If I do not I will be killed by five thunderbolts.

If I have supplied false particulars about myself for the purpose of joining the Hung family I shall be killed by five thunderbolts.

If I should change my mind and deny my membership of the Hung family I will be killed by myriads of swords.

If I rob a sworn brother or assist an outsider to do so I will be killed by five thunderbolts.

If I should take advantage of a sworn brother or force unfair business deals upon him I will be killed by myriads of swords.

If I knowingly convert my sworn brother's cash or property to my own use I shall be killed by five thunderbolts.

If I have wrongly taken a sworn brother's cash or property during a robbery I must return them to him. If I do not I will be killed by five thunderbolts.

If I am arrested after committing an offence I must accept my punishment an not try to place blame on my sworn brothers. If I do so I will be killed by five thunderbolts.

If any of my sworn brothers are killed, or arrested, or have departed to some other place, I will assist their wives and children who may be in need. If I pretend to have no knowledge of their difficulties I will be killed by five thunderbolts.

When any of my sworn brothers have been assaulted or blamed by others, I must come forward and help him if he is in the right or advise him to desist if he is wrong. If he has been repeatedly insulted by others I shall inform our other brothers and arrange to help him physically or financially. If I do not keep this oath I will be killed by five thunderbolts.

If it comes to my knowledge that the Government is seeking any of my sworn brothers who has come from other provinces or from overseas, I shall immediately inform him in order that he may make his escape. If I break this oath I will be killed by five thunderbolts.

I must not conspire with outsiders to cheat my sworn brothers at gambling. If I do so I will be killed by myriads of swords.

I shall not cause discord amongst my sworn brothers by spreading false reports about any of them. If I do so I will be killed by myriads of swords.

I shall not appoint myself as Incense Master without authority. After entering the Hung gates for three years the loyal and faithful ones may be promoted by the Incense Master with the support of his sworn brothers. I shall be killed by five thunderbolts if I make any unauthorized promotions myself.

If my natural brothers are involved in a dispute or law suit with my sworn brothers I must not help either party against the other but must attempt to have the matter settled amicably. If I break this oath I will be killed by five thunderbolts.

After entering the Hung gates I must forget any previous grudges I may have borne against my sworn brothers. If I do not do so I will be killed by five thunderbolts.

I must not trespass upon the territory occupied by my sworn brothers. I shall be killed by five thunderbolts if I pretend to have no knowledge of my brothers' rights in such matters.

I must not covet or seek to share any property or cash obtained by my sworn brothers. If I have such ideas I will be killed.

I must not disclose any address where my sworn brothers keep their wealth nor must I conspire to make wrong use of such knowledge. If I do so I will be killed by myriads of swords.

I must not give support to outsiders if so doing is against the interests of any of my sworn brothers. If I do not keep this oath I will be killed by myriads of swords.

I must not take advantage of the Hung brotherhood in order to oppress or take violent or unreasonable advantage of others. I must be content and honest. If I break this oath I will be killed by five thunderbolts.

I shall be killed by five thunderbolts if I behave indecently towards small children of my sworn brothers' families.

If any of my sworn brothers has committed a big offence I must not inform upon them to the Government for the purposes of obtaining a reward. I shall be killed by five thunderbolts if I break this oath.

I must not take to myself the wives and concubines of my sworn brothers nor commit adultery with them. If I do so I will be killed by myriads of swords.

I must never reveal Hung secrets or signs when speaking to outsiders. If I do so I will be killed by myriads of swords.

After entering the Hung gates I shall be loyal and faithful and shall endeavour to overthrow Ch'ing and restore Ming by co-ordinating my efforts with those of my sworn brethren even though my brethren and I may not be in the same professions. Our common aim is to avenge our Five Ancestors.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Wow...that is some serious oath poo poo right there, and it's close enough I guess to the game since they vaguely mention 36 Oaths so...drat.

I think Wei can handle electricity, the pig mask's power is beyond our understanding :tinfoil:

Flat Banana
Jun 7, 2008

Hirayuki posted:

Maybe it's similar to how authors describing how to make very real and dangerous things (Vince Gilligan for Breaking Bad, Richard Preston for The Cobra Event, etc.) purposely leave out certain steps and details so the kids won't--can't--try it at home.

Well it doesn't have to be all 36 oaths ("If bunking in a brother's flat, thou shalt not leave clothes lying around the apartment, nor invite guests unapproved of by hosting brother"), but a handful relevant to the overall narrative theme of loyalty/betrayal, and how much better Wei Shen is being in the triads compared to being a cog in the justice system. It's the family he never had and more, it gave him the opportunity to serve up revenge to Dogeyes, and all the cash, loyal retainers, cars, tits and drugs he could ever want. (well the girlfriend bits weren't tied in very strongly with triad activity but there will be more women coming up). It's to emphasise that outside of the triad, he's going to be alone and going nowhere: He's not going to ever move out of that dingy little apartment in North Point on a cop's salary.

Could he have turned Pendrew in and stayed on as a red pole?

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

FinalGamer posted:

Wow...that is some serious oath poo poo right there, and it's close enough I guess to the game since they vaguely mention 36 Oaths so...drat.

I think Wei can handle electricity, the pig mask's power is beyond our understanding :tinfoil:

Before you get too impressed by the 'Honorable' code of the Triads, remember that there is an unspoken 'Unless you think you can get away with it' after every single one of those oaths.

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

Crigit posted:

Before you get too impressed by the 'Honorable' code of the Triads, remember that there is an unspoken 'Unless you think you can get away with it' after every single one of those oaths.

Yeah, but I figure the smart ones also realize that below that, there's a 'Unless you're the guy in charge, you're not going to get away with it' so they might as well be bound to them by demonic rites as far as how strictly they follow them goes.
But, yes, the whole 'honor among thieves/criminals' is more a matter of it not being worth pissing off a whole gang just to betray one or two people.

Though that might just be human nature - for quite a few, the reason to follow the law is that being punished sucks. If you don't get caught, you don't get punished (well, if you look away from the 'punishment' of being on the run, anyway), and so there's no problem with breaking the law in secret - in other words, not every law-abiding citizen cares about ethics and morals.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
I always thought it a little odd that that particular cutscene was in English, I mean, I know the market for the game, but given the overall abundance of Chinese in the game I would have thought that a ceremony like this would have had a little more Chinese in it. Not a major complaint though.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Flat Banana posted:

Also, high five to Delacroix, SG/MY goons represent

I'm embarrassingly australian :v:. I do however have friends in S'pore/MY so I have been exposed first-hand of coping with silly ang mo.

Lunethex posted:

Any chance Wei Shen is immune to electricity? He can take swords and knives pretty well but I dunno about volts.

I think Wei Shen is quite accustomed to electricity in the line of duty even if he isn't on the receiving end. :colbert:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I am pretty sure those "5 thunderbolts" punishments don't refer to electric shock, guys. I think it means there will be 5 bulletholes in the body when the cops find it in a ditch somewhere.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Give Donuts crap, we're playing DnD right now instead of getting new videos up.

And by playing I mean, "flailing wildly while I forget how to roll initiative" :(

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

JossiRossi posted:

And by playing I mean, "flailing wildly while I forget how to roll initiative" :(

It's very simple, 1d20+your init score (Most likely Dex unless you got feats or magic)

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Senior Scarybagels posted:

It's very simple, 1d20+your init score (Most likely Dex unless you got feats or magic)

I was informed fortunately but thanks! It does show how long it's been. I prefer to play a rather obscure system called Unisystem personally. More story/character based.

We are fighting a TeaRodactyl!

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

JossiRossi posted:

I was informed fortunately but thanks! It does show how long it's been. I prefer to play a rather obscure system called Unisystem personally. More story/character based.

We are fighting a TeaRodactyl!

Psh Unisystem, play a real game like GURPS or FATE/FUDGE or even Savage Worlds.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Axis and Allies is the only real role playing game. :smuggo:

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Axis and Allies is the only real role playing game. :smuggo:

Been a while since we did one of those, too.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Stop giving them ideas or we'll never see a new update.

jaydee864
Aug 15, 2010

Life is such a drag when the whole world's falling apart
Holy poo poo, someone else has heard of and plays Unisystem? :aaaaa:

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

jaydee864 posted:

Holy poo poo, someone else has heard of and plays Unisystem? :aaaaa:

Unisystem was awesome right up to the point I discovered FATE, although I'm pretty sure you could stat up Wei Shen close to perfectly using Enter: the Zombie.

Flat Banana
Jun 7, 2008
On a semi-related note, anybody know any pencil-and-paper/board games that approximate Sleeping Dogs?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Flat Banana posted:

On a semi-related note, anybody know any pencil-and-paper/board games that approximate Sleeping Dogs?
There was an old RPG system called Feng Shui that aimed to reproduce the feel of Hong Kong action and martial arts films. I think it's out of print, though. But I did see ebook versions kicking around out there.

Other than that, I'm not up to speed on RPGs in modern settings.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Flat Banana posted:

You got GURPS, Wushu, D20 Modern all could do it.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

JossiRossi posted:

How about we give both of you crap for being such giant nerds, hmm? :rolldice:

just kidding, hope you had some good nerding

Good to have ya'll back, btw. The story seems to build up towards a sort of climax right now, so I'm wondering how much game there is actually left?

Oh yeah, almost forgot. I also have a late "Welcome back" present for you guys! It's a nice little story...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knGg4DgbOdE

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

Holy poo poo.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

Tin Tim posted:

How about we give both of you crap for being such giant nerds, hmm? :rolldice:

just kidding, hope you had some good nerding

Good to have ya'll back, btw. The story seems to build up towards a sort of climax right now, so I'm wondering how much game there is actually left?

Oh yeah, almost forgot. I also have a late "Welcome back" present for you guys! It's a nice little story...

Jesus loving christ. :stare:

Well, that was amazing. Thank you for making that :v: I'll have to add it to the OP. Should be able to get the episode up overnight, but I managed to sleep all day today so I've got to do some work on it first.

Fridurmus fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Tin Tim posted:

That...was loving incredible.

All I wish now is some way to import this song into the game radio, because gently caress. That's awesome.

• Locked thread