Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Benne posted:

So NBCSN has cancelled Michelle Beadle's show The Crossover.

If you've never heard of The Crossover, I can't blame you. NBCSN never figured out what to do with the format, shuffling co-hosts and airing it against the 6PM SportsCenter. Beadle herself has complained about the lack of promotion, and last week it got preempted by sailing, of all things.

It's a shame for Beadle--she's really good on TV and I wish NBC would push her more.

That makes me think about how ESPN at this point is bigger than the personalities. For example, I don't think Erin has been talked about as much either ever since she left them for Fox.

And since you brought up sailing, ESPN used to make it a big deal when they had the America's Cup years ago. Some things never change.

e: Here's an article from 1992 about that:

http://articles.latimes.com/1992-05-06/sports/sp-1211_1_world-series

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I moonlight as a play-by-play announcer for a local cable channel that covers area high school and college sports. Broadcasting is an interesting beast and knowing what goes into our relatively bush league stuff every day, I can't even imagine the chaos surrounding big time networks like ESPN, NBC, FS1, etc.

Live TV is basically controlled chaos, and oftentimes there's very little control.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Vertical Lime posted:

That makes me think about how ESPN at this point is bigger than the personalities. For example, I don't think Erin has been talked about as much either ever since she left them for Fox.

I think Beadle is a breakout star waiting to happen, and it's kind of baffling that NBC doesn't know what to do with her.

NBC is now gearing up for the NHL, and Beadle has hinted that she wants to do more hockey coverage, so something might happen there, but who knows. She deserves more than Access Hollywood and throwaway mid-afternoon studio gigs.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Well this is getting ugly

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013..._medium=twitter

quote:

Following the cancelation of The Crossover earlier this week, Jason McIntyre of The Big Lead is reporting that Michelle Beadle is in talks to leave NBC and return to ESPN.

According to McIntyre, NBC Sports and NBCSN executive producer Sam Flood was irate when he heard Beadle's comments trashing the promotion of The Crossover on last week's Sports Media Watch podcast (co-hosted by our Ken Fang). Flood and Beadle have squared off consistently during her time with the Peacock, and her comments on the podcast was the last straw and he had a meeting with Beadle informing her the show was canceled, but not before first leaking the story to Richard Sandomir of the New York Times.

McIntyre is also reporting that Beadle is prepared to leave NBC the moment her agent and the network can reach an agreement, with a return to ESPN seemingly on the horizon.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Also, Beadle is on far from gracious terms with her former NBCSN co-host. I don't blame her for going back at this point.

As for what I said about Erin:

John Ourand‏@Ourand_SBJ
Source: FS1's Fox College Saturday drew just 50,000 viewers last week -- a number that is on par with a 1am "Macgyver" rerun on Cloo Monday.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Jason Whitlock has officially ruined my love for PTI. I think Wilbon and Tony are well above the typical ESPN dreck, but this rear end in a top hat is just regurgitating the same idiocy that the channel always has. I am certain you all know this, but it's a very sad day for me.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
You guys love feeding the machine.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Parlett316 posted:

You guys love feeding the machine.

I was always willing to make an exception for PTI when Wilbon+Kornheiser are actually on. Their subs are dreadful though, I get enough Bob Ryan on Around the Horn thanks

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Vertical Lime posted:

Also, Beadle is on far from gracious terms with her former NBCSN co-host. I don't blame her for going back at this point.

As for what I said about Erin:

John Ourand‏@Ourand_SBJ
Source: FS1's Fox College Saturday drew just 50,000 viewers last week -- a number that is on par with a 1am "Macgyver" rerun on Cloo Monday.

To be fair is anything on that channel aside from football and live UFC a draw?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

Onrait and O'Toole

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

MourningView posted:

Just like how NBC Sportsnet only has hockey, Olympic stuff when it's on and maybe EPL as draws. That's what happens when only the ESPN channels gets any ratings for non-event stuff.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

Onrait and O'Toole

I think they're good at what they do, but aren't they getting absolutely destroyed in the ratings so far?

Anyway, on the college pregame thing, I don't think anyone is going to be able to seriously challenge Gameday. That's a really well done show for what it is, and it's an institution at this point. Being on campus when that show is in town is crazy, and I think most big college football fans are just in the habit of flipping it on as soon as they wake up.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

I think they're good at what they do, but aren't they getting absolutely destroyed in the ratings so far?

so far yeah, i think part of it is just a relative lack of promoting them and the network on any channels other than Fox.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

DJExile posted:

so far yeah, i think part of it is just a relative lack of promoting them and the network on any channels other than Fox.

They literally spent millions and millions of dollars promoting the channel for months up to the launch on like every network known to man

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Scob posted:

They literally spent millions and millions of dollars promoting the channel for months up to the launch on like every network known to man

Did they? Maybe I havent' seen much then. V:shobon:V

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
If you can take Outdoor Life Network, add an uncomfortable amount of cagefighting and hockey until you have to rename it "Versus", and then stick a peacock logo on it and make people suddenly accept it as a serious sports channel then FS1 shouldn't be having much of any problem. People associate the NBA with TNT of all channels, so recognition can be easily had.

Fox News wasn't what it became overnight, either. Give them a bit to begin really leveraging their licenses with NFL, etc. Though I don't know if they're going to be able to pull baseball fans away from MLB Network, I'm under the impression there's not many of those anyway.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Craptacular! posted:

If you can take Outdoor Life Network, add an uncomfortable amount of cagefighting and hockey until you have to rename it "Versus", and then stick a peacock logo on it and make people suddenly accept it as a serious sports channel then FS1 shouldn't be having much of any problem. People associate the NBA with TNT of all channels, so recognition can be easily had.

Fox News wasn't what it became overnight, either. Give them a bit to begin really leveraging their licenses with NFL, etc. Though I don't know if they're going to be able to pull baseball fans away from MLB Network, I'm under the impression there's not many of those anyway.

It helps that Inside the NBA on TNT is probably the single best sports program on TV too. I know people who don't even watch the NBA who will tune into it to watch Charles Barkley jabber about this and that. I know I set my DVR to record it when I can only watch parts of games. It really is that good.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

the only people who take NBCSN seriously are hockey fans

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

What about Premiere League viewers? :colbert:

Benne posted:

I think Beadle is a breakout star waiting to happen, and it's kind of baffling that NBC doesn't know what to do with her.

NBC is now gearing up for the NHL, and Beadle has hinted that she wants to do more hockey coverage, so something might happen there, but who knows. She deserves more than Access Hollywood and throwaway mid-afternoon studio gigs.
I remember thinking it was strange that she was leaving SportsNation for Access Hollywood and even weirder when she was going back to sports on a network that nobody watches. If anything, she should fire her agent.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 28, 2013

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Josh Lyman posted:

What about Premiere League viewers? :colbert:

I remember thinking it was strange that she was leaving SportsNation for Access Hollywood and even weirder when she was going back to sports on a network that nobody watches. If anything, she should fire her agent.

I bet both of those stops got her more money so the agent is probably doing their job.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

MourningView posted:

Vertical Lime posted:

Just like how NBC Sportsnet only has hockey, Olympic stuff when it's on and maybe EPL as draws. That's what happens when only the ESPN channels gets any ratings for non-event stuff.

Both might get a boost sooner than later if ESPN and TNT bail on NASCAR a year early, as has been rumored.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

Their Formula 1 and IndyCar coverage is Supberb. :colbert:

Seriously, Leigh Diffey is really good.

also, in regards to NBC Sports:

quote:

NBC Sports Network is dumping the show that featured a guy shooting an elephant in the face. The show—hosted by NRA lobbyist Tony Makris—isn't being canceled for that episode with the elephant shooting, exactly (though that didn't help). Instead it's because Makris compared his critics to Hitler earlier this week. He said of his supposed critics: "And now they're shocked. And they said but they're so big and special and they're smarter. And I went, you know, Hitler would have said the same thing." That didn't go over well.

wait...what? How does that even...?

http://deadspin.com/nbc-sports-network-cancels-nra-sponsored-elephant-hunti-1417367389

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like NBCSN's programming in general, but yeah, they do have a ton of bad hunting shows that they use as filler.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I like NBCSN's programming in general, but yeah, they do have a ton of bad hunting shows that they use as filler.
Likely because that filler would have a small, but dedicated, audience.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

Likely because that filler would have a small, but dedicated, audience.

I've heard of reports saying on certain days those are the highest-rated shows on the network. More obviously, they're holdovers from OLN.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Not sure where to put this since only like 5 SAS posters care but Comcast filed for CSN Houston to go into Chapter 11 bankruptcy. The Astros are claiming they haven't been paid for the last three months and were about to pull out.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

chunkles posted:

Not sure where to put this since only like 5 SAS posters care but Comcast filed for CSN Houston to go into Chapter 11 bankruptcy. The Astros are claiming they haven't been paid for the last three months and were about to pull out.

That's not good.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So starting Monday from 4-7 PM Eastern, Dan LeBatard is taking over the afternoon show on ESPN Radio nationally. Looking forward to it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

chunkles posted:

That'd make the first time this season the Astros got out of a jam

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Quick Poll:

Worst pre-game show?

I have to go with CBS and ESPN being tied at the top. Shannon Sharpe is awful, as is Ray Lewis.

FOX is also awful.

NBC is probably the best (even with Peter King.), along with NFL Network.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
CBS Sports Network's is the best, because I haven't seen it.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

chunkles posted:

The only situation that I'm happy to be an out of market fan. Wooo, what a disaster.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

FuzzySkinner posted:

Quick Poll:

Worst pre-game show?

I have to go with CBS and ESPN being tied at the top. Shannon Sharpe is awful, as is Ray Lewis.

FOX is also awful.

NBC is probably the best (even with Peter King.), along with NFL Network.

They're all pretty lovely now. Every year they keep getting bigger and bigger. It used to be fine when it was like, 3 guys. Now ESPN has the entire pro bowl team from 1994 on their pregame show. Pretty soon it's going to look like a college lecture hall.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I don't know why ESPN hasn't learned from their own College Gameday show that less is more. If you want to have a celebrity pick some games, fine, but the show itself is pretty much Fowler, Corso, Herbie, and Howard and they haven't really tried to gently caress with it at all. Meanwhile Sunday NFL Countdown/Monday Night Countdown keeps adding more and more people to it. Do we need to have Trent Dilfer and Ray Lewis ALSO opining on the game we're about to see? Do we need to have 10 people pick a game? How about the interns, can they pick too?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

I don't know why ESPN hasn't learned from their own College Gameday show that less is more. If you want to have a celebrity pick some games, fine, but the show itself is pretty much Fowler, Corso, Herbie, and Howard and they haven't really tried to gently caress with it at all. Meanwhile Sunday NFL Countdown/Monday Night Countdown keeps adding more and more people to it. Do we need to have Trent Dilfer and Ray Lewis ALSO opining on the game we're about to see? Do we need to have 10 people pick a game? How about the interns, can they pick too?

I'd support a show where Costas was forced to put on a Steely McBeam mask.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
*Jaws music plays*

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Oh good, I was just thinking that what baseball broadcasts needed was more Harold Reynolds.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Smoltz is by far the best of the choices and Smoltz is really horrible.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
God if it's Smoltz he'll never go away. At least you could probably force Verducci to duck out of the booth by lighting a match near his hair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

zakharov posted:

*Jaws music plays*

Thank you baby Jesus for letting MLB.tv not be blacked out by Fox next year.