Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
So, it appears the plans for replacing the I-5 bridge between Oregon and Washington may be revived. The major differences are the so-called "Oregon Only" method of state funding*, with a minimum of interchange upgrades on the Washington side. This is meant to cut down on the final cost somewhat, and obviates the need for Washington funding, which is how the original plans were stopped. It doesn't seem to be a very good design, from a lay perspective.

I'm wondering, what all is involved in seismic reinforcement? Is it feasible to do that to a heavily-used bridge with a section that's a hundred years old? How long would that extend its lifespan?

*: This will likely fail in the state capitol... if it's even brought up during the special session, which is uncertain. I'm sick of the way that this whole affair has been dragged out; if bridge fixes and a light rail extension into Vancouver aren't going to happen, acting as though it might and raising people's hopes is just too cruel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/americas-most-dangerous-bridges/18

Wasn't surprised to see the Aetna Viaduct on there in 2 places.

Also, Cichlidae you DOT guys ready to kill that 9/11 Truth graffiti rear end in a top hat yet?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I was wondering when somebody would bring that guy up. :v: They've moved beyond overpasses and are now on to signs. I saw it pop up on a 91 NB sign around Rocky Hill this weekend. I'm about ready to kill him for ruining perfectly good road signs! :argh:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's been a glut of those where I live, but there's mostly all chalk. Sometimes they're big sheets of cardboard with felt pen messages on them hung along the highway.

It's all 9/11 truther stuff, chemtrails, and all often related to jesus christ being re-born in some swiss village. Sometimes the highway ones are put over top of actual signs, but the city just removes them without much effort.

We had almost no rain all summer so all the chalk poo poo was around for a very long time.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
It's worse in Connecticut. This ain't chalk; people are spraypainting actual overpasses and big green signs with this stuff.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
So how about that bridge in Wisconsin?

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/26/us/wisconsin-bridge-sagging/index.html?hpt=hp_inthenews

This should be fun for a lot of people...

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Cichlidae, how do you feel about roundabouts? Especially large multi-lane ones? I had my first experience with them after moving to the east coast recently, and I think they're Goddamn deathtraps.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

eriktown posted:

Cichlidae, how do you feel about roundabouts? Especially large multi-lane ones? I had my first experience with them after moving to the east coast recently, and I think they're Goddamn deathtraps.

Roundabouts are the best thing.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

Armacham posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/26/us/wisconsin-bridge-sagging/index.html?hpt=hp_inthenews

Not great to have a pier settle 2 feet.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

kefkafloyd posted:

It's worse in Connecticut. This ain't chalk; people are spraypainting actual overpasses and big green signs with this stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGLqnzSMc5g

Yeah it's real-deal graffiti. It looks like there's a small crew of taggers that went off the truther reservation and are putting them up everywhere. There's some sweet art, but it should be going up on a graffiti wall not a freeway overpass.

http://www.wfsb.com/story/22902255/dot-officials-trying-to-stop-911-graffiti-on-bridges-overpasses--------OK

Kaal fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 27, 2013

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

eriktown posted:

Well, considering the man designs them, I'd say he's probably pro-roundabout.

I think the thread in general is pro-roundabout. They are typically very safe (for motorists, not always for pedestrians and cyclists), but Americans just aren't used to them in general. Roundabouts in Europe are safe because the majority of drivers are comfortable with them. It will take a long time before that's the case in the US, but I hope the gradual shift to roundabouts here continues.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Kakairo posted:

I think the thread in general is pro-roundabout. They are typically very safe (for motorists, not always for pedestrians and cyclists), but Americans just aren't used to them in general. Roundabouts in Europe are safe because the majority of drivers are comfortable with them. It will take a long time before that's the case in the US, but I hope the gradual shift to roundabouts here continues.

Tampa's installing them all over the place, and it's done wonders for traffic.

Here's our latest one, replacing an awkward intersection between 21st/22nd St and 22nd/23rd Ave in Tampa. The monument in the middle signifies the 100-year anniversary and revitalization of a neighborhood in East Tampa (Belmont Heights).

Oh, and we've got some creative ones to the north, in Pasco County.

Varance fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 27, 2013

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
That said, not all designers seem to really "get" them:

Yes, every single approach to that roundabout has a stop sign. :psyduck:

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

GWBBQ posted:

Looks like Metro North is hosed once again. Con Edison feeder cable into the Mt. Vernon substation blew out for unspecified reasons in addition to a feeder being out of service. Electric train service between Grand Central and Stamford is out, Stamford to New Haven is limited service only, system is operating on 1/3 capacity until further notice ("days to weeks" according to the governor.) I-95 and the Parkway are going to be even worse than usual for the next few days to weeks.

It's really REALLY bad. All my jobs on I-95 are put on hold until further notice; even late at night, we don't want to do anything to cut the capacity. Doesn't help that there are intermittent shutdowns of I-84. At least the West Rock tunnel on 15 isn't closed yet.

Hedera Helix posted:

I'm wondering, what all is involved in seismic reinforcement? Is it feasible to do that to a heavily-used bridge with a section that's a hundred years old? How long would that extend its lifespan?

We don't like to put life expectancies on bridges, and seismic refits won't necessarily improve a bridge's lifespan. Bridges are very much a 'weakest link' kinda thing. As for the refit, you can put some good elastomeric pads under its bearings, remove static indeterminacy, and add better spiral rebar to your columns. Someone who's taken a seismic engineering class would probably know more stuff.

Mighty Horse posted:

http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/americas-most-dangerous-bridges/18

Wasn't surprised to see the Aetna Viaduct on there in 2 places.

Also, Cichlidae you DOT guys ready to kill that 9/11 Truth graffiti rear end in a top hat yet?

The Aetna Viaduct is awful, and I successfully begged to get off the replacement committee. I have too much other poo poo to deal with to work on an impossible project like that. If you ever get a chance to look at the echograms we did of the deck, you'll be shocked (or not) to find out it's less whole than a sponge.

As for the graffiti folks, I really wonder how they're doing it. Some of the sites are accessible, like the back of the overhead VMS (there is an access ladder and catwalk), but on some of those overpasses... it has to be someone with really good safety equipment, or someone REALLY stupid. Probably the latter, given their subject matter.

Armacham posted:

Oof... that's not going to be a cheap fix. At least it's an approach span instead of the main one. The arch itself will probably stay up while they're repairing the approach.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
A few more from Tampa...

The team that designed the new Connerton subdivision, about 20 miles north of Tampa, went hog wild.

Can't forget the new commercial park in FishHawk, either.

Varance fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 27, 2013

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

eriktown posted:

The large ones you're seeing here probably aren't roundabouts; they're rotaries, traffic circles, whatever you'd like to call them, and although some have been repainted into ersatz turbo roundabouts, they really have very little in common.

Roundabouts are low-speed, small, yield-controlled circles. The multi-lane ones should really be channelized turbo roundabouts as opposed to the older 2-lane monstrosities.

Kakairo posted:

Worth noting that American engineers can't really design roundabouts well yet, either. I'd say we're about where Europe was a decade or two ago. Around 2020, we'll realize that the center island needs squared corners and the circulating roadway could really use raised lane separators.

Haifisch posted:

Great example. Some DOTs are hopelessly insular. Even attending a free webinar once in a while can teach you so much about roundabout design.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Haifisch posted:

Somewhere, the guy who wrote the section of the MUTCD on signing roundabouts is drinking himself into a stupor over those signs.

It's like they were having trouble with people using the roundabouts and they just kept throwing more poo poo at it.

:clint::How about a stop sign! No, now they're turning left - we'll add one way signs! And Right Turn Only signs in the left lane! What do you mean now people are getting in the left lane to take the first exit of the roundabout? gently caress it, let's put the signal back in.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Haifisch posted:

The two biggest roundabouts here have stop signs at the approaches. Is this actually not a good design?

Cichlidae posted:

We don't like to put life expectancies on bridges, and seismic refits won't necessarily improve a bridge's lifespan. Bridges are very much a 'weakest link' kinda thing. As for the refit, you can put some good elastomeric pads under its bearings, remove static indeterminacy, and add better spiral rebar to your columns. Someone who's taken a seismic engineering class would probably know more stuff.

That's unfortunate, I was under the impression that it did. Oh well.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Cichlidae posted:

As for the graffiti folks, I really wonder how they're doing it. Some of the sites are accessible, like the back of the overhead VMS (there is an access ladder and catwalk), but on some of those overpasses... it has to be someone with really good safety equipment, or someone REALLY stupid. Probably the latter, given their subject matter.

There's footage of them doing a couple of the overpasses in the truther video I posted, they're just inching out along ledges at night while traffic roars underneath them. It's dangerous as hell and could easily get themselves and some poor driver killed, but it looks quite doable. If there isn't a ledge, they could simply be doing it by roping down. You can make a Swiss seat with rope and a carabiner, and it'd be safe enough for this sort of thing. If these guys were Greenpeace or ELF then I wouldn't have any doubt that they'd be doing it that way. But I don't think that truthers really have the coordination for a stunt like that.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 27, 2013

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Cichlidae posted:

The large ones you're seeing here probably aren't roundabouts; they're rotaries, traffic circles, whatever you'd like to call them, and although some have been repainted into ersatz turbo roundabouts, they really have very little in common.

See, now that sounds like what they tried to do to our 2-lane traffic circle/roundabout (I still don't quite grasp the difference). They added all the lane markings, and a bunch of signs that didn't make sense because our circle has 5 exits for some reason. Then the plows scraped all the paint off, and it's back to the free for all.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Hedera Helix posted:

The two biggest roundabouts here have stop signs at the approaches. Is this actually not a good design?

A roundabout is supposed to be free-flowing. The entering driver should yield to traffic in the circle. In other words, if there is no one in the circle, you can just enter it, and not stop. It's good for traffic flow, fuel consumption, noise etc.

Stop signs in general just feel like a suboptimal compromise, thrown in when you can't afford a signal, or visibility is too limited for a yield sign.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Square centre islands??

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Cichlidae posted:

The Aetna Viaduct is awful, and I successfully begged to get off the replacement committee. I have too much other poo poo to deal with to work on an impossible project like that. If you ever get a chance to look at the echograms we did of the deck, you'll be shocked (or not) to find out it's less whole than a sponge.

Oh, all you have to do is get stuck in traffic going WB right around the asylum ave exit and look over....shame there isn't some sort bypass around the city... You would think engineers would have come up with that at one point. :)

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Square centre islands??

I assumed Cichlidae was talking about something like this:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Turbo_roundabout_(left-hand_side_drive)_by_Zureks.svg

(As opposed to literally putting a square in the middle of a roundabout.)

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Mighty Horse posted:

Oh, all you have to do is get stuck in traffic going WB right around the asylum ave exit and look over....shame there isn't some sort bypass around the city... You would think engineers would have come up with that at one point. :)

It's almost as if they had built some giant, expensive thing in expectation that such a plan would come to fruition. :v:

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Grundulum posted:

I assumed Cichlidae was talking about something like this:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Turbo_roundabout_(left-hand_side_drive)_by_Zureks.svg

(As opposed to literally putting a square in the middle of a roundabout.)

Yeah notice that he said 'squared corners', which are a bit different from the above example as well.

This is the latest and greatest standard in turbo roundabout design here in the NL (we both invented them and have to my knowledge been applying them at the largest scale):

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Holy poo poo that's great and seems super intuitive to use.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Holy poo poo that's great and seems super intuitive to use.
It is only intuitive after the first hair-raising months of people remembering how "Yield" signs work, and learning how to read unfamiliar road signs (seriously, how hard is it to interpret this?). My town installed a new traffic circle with a very similar design a couple of years ago, and apparently it was so counter-intuitive that the local DOT redesigned and repainted the intersection to reduce the number of lanes in the roundabout.

Koesj posted:

This is the latest and greatest standard in turbo roundabout design here in the NL (we both invented them and have to my knowledge been applying them at the largest scale):

What's the policy on putting trees or other landscaping (that obstructs line-of-sight to the opposite side) in the middle? I remember there was some discussion far back in the thread, but I forget what was decided.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I believe Cichlidae said the trees and shrubs and stuff were put there intentionally, specifically to disrupt that line of sight. Cars coming from the far side of the roundabout are so far away that you shouldn't be worrying about yielding to them.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I don't see them in my country though and I think they're prohibited (not sure though).

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

They sometimes put ugly pieces of modern art in the middle of roundabouts in the Netherlands, I don't know if that counts.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Hedera Helix posted:

No no no no no. If it's got stop signs, it's not a roundabout. Bigness is also not a good roundabout characteristic.

PittTheElder posted:

See, now that sounds like what they tried to do to our 2-lane traffic circle/roundabout (I still don't quite grasp the difference). They added all the lane markings, and a bunch of signs that didn't make sense because our circle has 5 exits for some reason. Then the plows scraped all the paint off, and it's back to the free for all.

That's pretty much what happened with the US 5 / MA 57 rotary in West Springfield, except that the contractor must've used a rumble strip machine to put in his pavement marking grooves, because the 'grooves' ended up half an inch deep, halfway filled back up with epoxy. From what I hear, they had to re-pave.

Mighty Horse posted:

kefkafloyd posted:

It's almost as if they had built some giant, expensive thing in expectation that such a plan would come to fruition. :v:

You guys are KILLIN' me! Ah well, I live on the side of the city that actually has two functional peripherals. Makes life so much better.

Koesj posted:

Yeah notice that he said 'squared corners', which are a bit different from the above example as well.

That's exactly what I mean. Aren't they wonderful?

Hard enough that, even after the two lane use signs, two sets of lane arrows, and splitter island between the two lanes, we still needed to install this:

PittTheElder posted:

I believe Cichlidae said the trees and shrubs and stuff were put there intentionally, specifically to disrupt that line of sight. Cars coming from the far side of the roundabout are so far away that you shouldn't be worrying about yielding to them.

Yes. It's important to clarify one thing: they're installed outside the clear zone. If you install anything with a trunk broader than 4" inside the clear zone, it is a fixed object and a mortal hazard for an errant motorist. We try to avoid trees in the center at all, choosing bushes and flowers instead. If you run into them, it's a landscaper's problem, not a coroner's.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Cichlidae posted:

Hard enough that, even after the two lane use signs, two sets of lane arrows, and splitter island between the two lanes, we still needed to install this:

Yes. It's important to clarify one thing: they're installed outside the clear zone. If you install anything with a trunk broader than 4" inside the clear zone, it is a fixed object and a mortal hazard for an errant motorist. We try to avoid trees in the center at all, choosing bushes and flowers instead. If you run into them, it's a landscaper's problem, not a coroner's.

Thanks for the serious answer to a half-joking question. I still don't understand what's difficult about that sign, but I think I have an occupational bias towards not understanding why others don't understand.

Also, another clarification: by "clear zone", do you mean the non-grassy areas in the central island?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Grundulum posted:

Thanks for the serious answer to a half-joking question. I still don't understand what's difficult about that sign, but I think I have an occupational bias towards not understanding why others don't understand.

Also, another clarification: by "clear zone", do you mean the non-grassy areas in the central island?

Clear zone is a concept discussed in the Roadside Design Guide, and is measured horizontally from the edge of the travel lane. Its width varies depending on the speed and traffic volume of the roadway. It's basically a "Don't put poo poo in here that will kill people if they hit it at speed, because out of control vehicles have a good chance of hitting it" zone.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Devor posted:

Clear zone is a concept discussed in the Roadside Design Guide, and is measured horizontally from the edge of the travel lane. Its width varies depending on the speed and traffic volume of the roadway. It's basically a "Don't put poo poo in here that will kill people if they hit it at speed, because out of control vehicles have a good chance of hitting it" zone.

Yeah. Technically speaking, it's the area where 80% of cars will come to a stop after departing the roadway. The other 20% leave the clear zone and (possibly) become fatalities. In addition to the clear zone, we have the ZOI (zone of intrusion), which is a related and somewhat more complicated concept. We designed for ZOI for a while, stopped for a while, and now I think we're doing it again.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Koesj posted:

I don't see them in my country though and I think they're prohibited (not sure though).

I don't think they're prohibited, there are a lot of roundabouts where the centre is raised to the point where you can't see the other side. Or poo poo like this.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Jeoh posted:

I don't think they're prohibited, there are a lot of roundabouts where the centre is raised to the point where you can't see the other side. Or poo poo like this.

Yeah, this used to be quite common: http://goo.gl/maps/Y3TF2
where the center is raised enough that you can't look across unless you're the Google Street view camera. I haven't seen newer ones designed in that way though, they still have hills but lower ones that you can see over. This one has been there since the 90s.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Haifisch posted:

I could drive through this on my commute but it's so god awful and people are so dumb that I actively avoid it at all costs.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I was thinking of bigass trees within the clear zone (which roundabout islands are also part of) but yes there seems to have been a trend to increase visibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Cichlidae posted:

No no no no no. If it's got stop signs, it's not a roundabout. Bigness is also not a good roundabout characteristic.

What would it be called, in that instance? And at what sizes does a roundabout start being poorly designed? Or going in the other direction, at what size does it start being called a traffic island?