Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

Also given the history of the first part of the games being a little bit of a tease (mgs2's tanker bit, virtuous mission, etc) its very possible that these early parts are not reflective of the whole of the game. I could definitely see kojima making the entire ground zeroes segment of the game a parody of call of duty, with cover shooting and regen health and machine gunning wave after wave of soldiers, and then Punished Snake goes back to the normal health bar/rations because he's "weakened" so he doesnt have infinite health now in his old age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
^^^Yes right after Hayter makes his surprise appearance...

All I wanted was an open world MGS4 with MGS3 health and status ailment mechanics! Not this cluster-gently caress of button prompts, waypoints, tags, xray guards, slo-mo QTEs, COD Health, and bad voice acting!

I am cool with them taking out the "!", the alert timer, new weapon system, vehicles, and a more agile Snake.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

AASman posted:

I am cool with them taking out the "!",

I am not cool with this. Luckily it's still in.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Lunethex posted:

I wonder if there will be a moment in MGS5 like there was with Gray Fox at the end of MGS1, where you can't fire the missile because Snake doesn't want to kill him.

If you use up all your Stinger Missiles before that scene, Snake says he can't because he's out of ammo. Puts a whole new spin on that scene.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

! is still in.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If the ! wasn't still in that would have been an instant boycott. :colbert:

trash lord
Feb 1, 2012

Hey, bros.
Almost didn't make the cut, though. And, according to this, cardboard boxes should make a reappearance to all you nerds who were worried about it.

I was so scared. :ohdear:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I have to say that it is a good time for stealth games both this and Blacklist seem to be scratching that stealth game itch pretty well. I also find it interesting in that the games seem to be converging. Metal Gear is slowly becoming more like Splinter Cell in terms of the way stealth is handled and Splinter Cell is becoming more like Metal Gear in that it is becoming a bit more lenient with the stealth and allows for action options now more readily.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

AASman posted:

^^^Yes right after Hayter makes his surprise appearance...

All I wanted was an open world MGS4 with MGS3 health and status ailment mechanics! Not this cluster-gently caress of button prompts, waypoints, tags, xray guards, slo-mo QTEs, COD Health, and bad voice acting!

I am cool with them taking out the "!", the alert timer, new weapon system, vehicles, and a more agile Snake.

Bad voice acting has been a staple of the series since MGS1 and it's ridiculous accents and hamming poo poo up.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

MrJacobs posted:

Bad voice acting has been a staple of the series since MGS1 and it's ridiculous accents and hamming poo poo up.

Clearly you're using bad in the context of good (i.e. Bad motherfucker) because other than Mei Ling the voice acting has been pretty fuckin' awesome.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I just like to think Mei Ling burned the inside of her mouth just before MGS1.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

I am not going to worry about the gameplay, for now, ever since 3 I've had doubts about additions or changes being beneficial, and almost always end up being wrong.

I remember thinking way back, that Octocamo was stupid and that MGS3 taking place in the jungle was a terrible idea, among many other things.

MrJacobs posted:

Bad voice acting has been a staple of the series since MGS1

:nyd:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mei Ling was doing her Miss Swan impression, she really wanted to impress Snake.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

MGS must be more staples than actual paper by this point.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Clearly you're using bad in the context of good (i.e. Bad motherfucker) because other than Mei Ling the voice acting has been pretty fuckin' awesome.
Whoever played Fortune did a pretty crappy job, but other than that, the voice acting in the series is fantastic. It's over the top but I think it fits perfectly to have over the top voice acting in an over the top series.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 28, 2013

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Celery Face posted:

Whoever played Fortune did a pretty crappy job, but other than that, the voice acting in the series is fantastic. It's over the top but I think it fits perfectly to have everyone ham it up.

The Boss was flat out awful. Nearly every time she opened her mouth, she ruined that scene, and yanked me firmly out of MGS3 into an episode of Family Guy. It wasn't until after the last battle where I took her seriously. It was like Peak Metal Gear Acting, which is terrible as a rule, but since it's attached to MGS it's considered unironically good (kinda like the entire second act of MGS2).

Voice acting in videogames has generally come a long way from the heady days where we all thought "ASURVEILANCECAMERA?!" and "WE'VE MANAGED TO AVOID DROWNING!" was considered the pinnacle of acting talent.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

fivegears4reverse posted:

The Boss was flat out awful. Nearly every time she opened her mouth, she ruined that scene, and yanked me firmly out of MGS3 into an episode of Family Guy. It wasn't until after the last battle where I took her seriously. It was like Peak Metal Gear Acting, which is terrible as a rule, but since it's attached to MGS it's considered unironically good (kinda like the entire second act of MGS2).

Voice acting in videogames has generally come a long way from the heady days where we all thought "ASURVEILANCECAMERA?!" and "WE'VE MANAGED TO AVOID DROWNING!" was considered the pinnacle of acting talent.

Maybe I'm not the most objective critic, but I'm not being ironic or attaching undue love because of the fact that it's an MGS game. I legitimately believe the voice acting is good. In fact, the excellent voice acting is a big part of the reason I enjoy the games so much. It's why I can tolerate the long-rear end cutscenes, because I am entertained by what I am hearing. It's a huge part of the reason I get attached to the characters. It even made POOPs tolerable for me, and that's about the highest praise I can give it. I guess I'm just a fanboy or something.

Also whenever I see cameras in games for the first time I internally monologue "A SURVEILLANCE CAMERA?!" I loved that line :(

If someone asks me a question I don't know the answer to, I feel the urge to reply in Snake-voice "Hell if I know"

I'm as disappointed as the rest of you about the recasting of Big Boss but I trust Kojima because he hasn't let me down yet. Also if you were to ask me a year ago who I thought would be the best choice to replace David Hayter or who should play Snake in a live action movie, I would have actually said Kiefer Sutherland, so I can't be that mad about it.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Sep 28, 2013

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

You're picking cherries here, not every line or even the majority of them are that hammy. The reason lines like that get repeated to death is because they're especially bad, not typically bad.

Even back in the day when these games were new, there were lines people made fun of, a lot, but they were and usually still are seen as quirks or flaws, not examples of the voice work being complete poo poo.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't know what everyone's deal is, the voice acting in Metal Gear Solid was the pinnacle of 90s gaming topped only by, oh, The Last Express or Blade Runner or some other computer game where 90% of the budget was spent on the actors. Quality control has gotten a lot better but Metal Gear has consistently hit when its high and make me laugh when it's being appropriately ridiculous.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Penakoto posted:

You're picking cherries here, not every line or even the majority of them are that hammy. The reason lines like that get repeated to death is because they're especially bad, not typically bad.

Even back in the day when these games were new, there were lines people made fun of, a lot, but they were and usually still are seen as quirks or flaws, not examples of the voice work being complete poo poo.

Vulcan Raven was holy poo poo bad in the original dub of MGS1. Embarrassingly bad. I thought for a moment that he was actually a dumber version of Killer Croc. Mei Ling was TERRIBLE, to the point where there were a few of my high school friends of Chinese descent were actually offended by her and stopped playing the game after the third or fourth time she mangled her way through some old saying. President Baker spent half his cutscenes sounding like he was trying to pinch The Biggest Log Ever. Johnny was pretty bad. There's plenty of stuff to bash in terms of acting in MGS 1 alone, but like you say, those lines I picked out are definite stand-outs.

Ironically, MGS1 and 2 were Hayter at his best. His voice started to get kinda grating to me with MGS 3, but the game was significantly better written than pretty much any MGS title to date, which made his performance (and everyone else save for Diane SimmonsThe Boss) easier to digest. MGS4 makes me glad that he's no longer in the RHRGHRGRHRGHRGHRGHRGRRRRHRGHRGHRrole of Snake anymore. You can tell that trying to be Old Snake hosed up his voice, because there were plenty of times where you could tell Hayter was stuck in Old Snake Mode throughout Peace Walker.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I don't agree with this at all, I thought she was perfect for the character. The lip-syncing is what bothered me the most. I got into the MGS because of the high-quality acting and voice overs. Yeah okay, they aren't higher art oscar worthy performances like everything ever should be according to goons, but at least all the actors are having fun and have chemistry with each other, which I can't really say for this past MGSV trailer.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

AASman posted:

I don't agree with this at all, I thought she was perfect for the character. The lip-syncing is what bothered me the most. I got into the MGS because of the high-quality acting and voice overs. Yeah okay, they aren't higher art oscar worthy performances like everything ever should be according to goons, but at least all the actors are having fun and have chemistry with each other, which I can't really say for this past MGSV trailer.

I can't agree whatsoever with the "chemistry" thing. Chemistry between actors is more readily noticeable when they record/act together. MGS, so far as I'm aware, has the actors go into the booth separately, with only certain scenes recorded in a group. It's the same problem that plagues dubs in anime and most videogames in general: the first one to record basically sets the tone, while everyone else has to match it to the director's satisfaction. The problem is, it often takes away the potential to get dialogue to sound like an actual conversation, as opposed to one guy saying their lines, then the other guy says their lines.

It was actually done differently in the first game, but the recording conditions for MGS1 were kinda lovely (which lead the dialogue getting re-recorded in Twin Snakes).

Basically, we're now in an era where Uncharted is an actual series with pretty good acting in general. The Last of Us exists. Red Dead Redemption (though it has it's own weaknesses). GTAV. Even Revengeance does dialog better than pretty much every other Metal Gear title out there, it knows how stupid it is and is deliberately playing it up. I can't say that about the rest of the series, which is too busy Trying To Tell Us Something for me to believe that what we have in terms of acting is deliberate, and not actually some pretty spotty localization and voice direction. I'm not expecting Oscar winners, I just want my voice work to not sound stilted and overboiled every time every character in the story opens their mouth.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Even Revengeance does dialog better than pretty much every other Metal Gear title out there, it knows how stupid it is and is deliberately playing it up.
True, MGS has never been self-aware or made fun of itself or had inside jokes.

Also a big part of the perceived deficiencies is because of the lack of localization, not the actors fault. Revengence had the same director and actors from past Metal Gear games. Kojima is adamant about a 1:1 translation, which is why we get poo poo like "If you won't be a prisoner of fate, then go, fulfill your destiny.", which is a really awkward sentence and something a natural English speaker would never say. It should be something like "If you refuse to run away from your fate(Ocelot), then go confront it(him).", but that would be changing the dialogue too much.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

AASman posted:

True, MGS has never been self-aware or made fun of itself or had inside jokes.

Also a big part of the perceived deficiencies is because of the lack of localization, not the actors fault. Revengence had the same director and actors from past Metal Gear games. Kojima is adamant about a 1:1 translation, which is why we get poo poo like "If you won't be a prisoner of fate, then go, fulfill your destiny.", which is a really awkward sentence and something a natural English speaker would never say. It should be something like "If you refuse to run away from your fate(Ocelot), then go confront it(him).", but that would be changing the dialogue too much.

I think someone needs to be there to tell Kojima that he is full of poo poo. MGS4 came to a head with super long talky cutscenes and a game that takes a dump on itself after the first two acts. Plus Nanomachines.

I think there are plenty of things that are goofy and funny that the game expects you to take seriously.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I clocked out of MGS4 when Raiden stops an aircraft carrier with his body then sticks a sword between his toes.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
The biggest issue for me is always the appearent lack of context in the VA direction.

A very good example of this would be EVA's "Come on you blockhead" line during the Shagohod fight if you compare it with the original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMPLrU4ksco&feature=player_detailpage&list=PLrekaHLD2rhbekQxP_Pt1O_KVTcSgVVMU#t=1391

The exact line is at 24:37.

And here's the japanese version for comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MM1YUvqdxUQ&list=PL0BA2E43CA1E83A77#t=317

It's at 6:43.

The delivery of her line in the english version is loving awful, how was Volgin even able to hear her? It's completly obvious none of the people involved had any context for the script's lines so you probably can't even put all the blame on them.

MGS2 is pretty terrible about this as well, Raiden's constant "Huh's" and "What's" with a delivery that never really fitted the situation were already bad enough.

Strangely enough, MGS1, wich had some downright cheesy performances, was still the best about this.

John Luebke fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Sep 28, 2013

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't MGS1 also the only one where, to Kojimas chagrin, the English script isn't just a direct translation but a mild effort to make it sound okay?

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
This is a bit offtopic but...

I didn't actually ever play MGS4, but I watched chipcheezums LP, and I gotta say, every line that comes out of Naomis mouth is garbage and there is seemingly never any reason behind anything she does or doesn't do.

Did the games after 4 ever have such awful characters in them?

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Isn't MGS1 also the only one where, to Kojimas chagrin, the English script isn't just a direct translation but a mild effort to make it sound okay?

Yes.

As far as I've heard, this isn't all Kojima going "They've changed my script, how dare they!" though.

Appearently Jeremy Blaustein and the guy who oversaw the localizations for MGS1-3, Scott Dolph (Not the Marine Corps commander.) didn't really get along, so Scott went to Kojima and told him all these things, that they simply changed things as they pleased with the english script, didn't respect the original and whatnot. In the end there's not much Kojima can do than to trust other people on these matters and he may have chosen the wrong person.

This is still al hearsay from other people, interviews with Blaustein and stuff like that, so take it with a grain of salt.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

al-azad posted:

I clocked out of MGS4 when Raiden stops an aircraft carrier with his body then sticks a sword between his toes.

Why do you hate fun?

E: Don't play Metal Gear Rising because you will hate that game.

the good fax machine fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 28, 2013

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
I loved the alert system and countdown timers in 1,2 and 3. It made sense there. It was plain pointless and nonsensical in 4 most of the time. Two opposing armed forces are having a big firefight and in the middle of that someone gets suspicious because Snake tips over an empty can? Seriously? And when they spot Snake they're suddenly in a state of alarm? Like seeing the other 20 rebel guys they're in a shootout with was not alarming enough? Unrelated, but when you're in alarm mode in 4 there will be bullet impacts all around Snake even if nobody is shooting. Indefensible. :sigh:

nosebro posted:

I always thought of it as part of the whole nanomachine sense system. Each soldier has their own alert timer or something like that.

Point being, why don't they treat you like any of the other dozens of enemy combatants? Do their nanomachines tell them that Solid Snake is the guy tipping over a bottle over there and that that is more important than all the gunfire?

BiggestOrangeTree fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 28, 2013

trash lord
Feb 1, 2012

Hey, bros.
I always thought of it as part of the whole nanomachine sense system. Each soldier has their own alert timer or something like that.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I can't agree whatsoever with the "chemistry" thing. Chemistry between actors is more readily noticeable when they record/act together. MGS, so far as I'm aware, has the actors go into the booth separately, with only certain scenes recorded in a group. It's the same problem that plagues dubs in anime and most videogames in general: the first one to record basically sets the tone, while everyone else has to match it to the director's satisfaction. The problem is, it often takes away the potential to get dialogue to sound like an actual conversation, as opposed to one guy saying their lines, then the other guy says their lines.

It was actually done differently in the first game, but the recording conditions for MGS1 were kinda lovely (which lead the dialogue getting re-recorded in Twin Snakes).

The voice acting for Snatcher was done with all the actors in the same room, which was supposed to be because of the limited budget didn't allow for separate sessions, but they said it actually worked out really well. Doing that does have it's problems, such as in Uncharted 3 where Cutter's actor had to leave to work on The Hobbit, and was written out of the story pretty bluntly.

John Luebke posted:

MGS2 is pretty terrible about this as well, Raiden's constant "Huh's" and "What's" with a delivery that never really fitted the situation were already bad enough.

You can also do this at a whim in every codec conversation with the shoulder buttons, and listen to Snake/Raiden's thoughts.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Snatcher's voice acting is really good, especially considering the era and the budget of the game it's from.

I really dig the voice acting in Metal Gear overall - the only voice I've never really liked is Rose's. Otacon and Snake's conversations are my favourite part of the series, without a doubt.

And Paul Eiding as Campbell. Can you imagine anyone else in that role? The man has the perfect voice for that character.

I wasn't aware that The Boss's voice was disliked. I though the calm, slightly detached tone fitted her character. I really hope that Jim Piddock is doing Zero's voice in MGS 5. I mean, if the game is about Big Boss's fight against Cipher, you'd expect Zero to appear, right?

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

There's, like, one guy who really hates the way The Boss was voiced. Mei Ling was definitely the low point of the series.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The reason people tend to dislike The Boss's voice is because that voice actress has a recurring role on Family Guy where she uses the exact same voice. She had this role well before MGS3 was released. So people find it a bit jarring when they hear that voice coming out of such a major character. I get where they're coming from. I have to actively suspend my disbelief in order to not find it distracting. I still think she did a good job though.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The reason people tend to dislike The Boss's voice is because that voice actress has a recurring role on Family Guy where she uses the exact same voice. She had this role well before MGS3 was released. So people find it a bit jarring when they hear that voice coming out of such a major character. I get where they're coming from. I have to actively suspend my disbelief in order to not find it distracting. I still think she did a good job though.

Well gently caress now I'm really glad I have no idea what voice that is because yeah I could see that being a little distracting.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

voltron lion force posted:

Well gently caress now I'm really glad I have no idea what voice that is because yeah I could see that being a little distracting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3Hms3tCZXU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

NO! NOT WATCHIN' IT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I couldn't hear it in that video, but I absolutely could right here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4QhwOpqLJM (about 1:00 in).

• Locked thread