Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Yeah, HGH won, it was super close though in my defense. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Some snippets from Zun's twitter feed:

"Just havin' a little lunch. Man that's huge." http://twitpic.com/df5fxg

"Had dinner tonight at an American beer bar. Moot told me on the way back that people were recognizing me as the Touhou creator, but I don't understand English."

"I'm curious about Pokemon vs. Digimon on multiple levels." (Japanese commenters: "Is that a thing?")

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 27, 2013

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Hokuto posted:

"I'm curious about Pokemon vs. Digimon on multiple levels." (Japanese commenters: "Is that a thing?")

Huh. I never quite realized that the rivalry didn't exist in Japan. Just goes to show, I guess.

Is that 4chan's Moot he's talking about there? :stare:

EDIT: vvvv Ah, I hadn't realized that moot was a guest of honor; I thought somehow he was the one that convinced ZUN to come out to America or something.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 28, 2013

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

KataraniSword posted:

Is that 4chan's Moot he's talking about there? :stare:

Yes. In the original tweet he writes @moot; it isn't really strange that guests of honor end up dining together. I believe it's common for the convention's hosts to take them out.
Either way, the man seems to be enjoying it and learning just how much international fandom he actually has gathered. I think good things will happen :)

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I think moot and ZUN know each other to some degree, since pictures of them drinking together in Japan showed up on their Twitter accounts last year or so.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

dranxis posted:

I'm really bad at starting fan art and never finishing it, but I did finish coloring this Futo recently:

I also made a personal Tumblr to put her on since I'm not going back to Deviantart. I'm a little scared of Tumblr though.

Hey, that's pretty nice, dude!! Where's your Tumblr?

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

Delicious tears of disappointment

DrSunshine posted:

Hey, that's pretty nice, dude!! Where's your Tumblr?

Thank you. It's over here: http://dranxis.tumblr.com/ Just to warn you, I'll mostly be reblogging and sharing stuff I like. I draw a webcomic so I don't feel like drawing other stuff that often. But I'm going to try to draw for fun more often now that I have a Tumblr.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Panel was pretty good. Super packed though, massive line all around the lobby. Started 20 mins late and wound up being pretty much all Q&A. Looking at his twitter he was apparently astonished that he got so many super nerdy questions about PC98 games and unused characters.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ZUN In America so far is everything I've hoped it would be. :allears:

I can't stop laughing at the ZUN and Shou picture. Not really in a mocking fashion either, for cosplay, that's a damned good costume. More just hilarious in a baffling way.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Bakanogami posted:

Panel was pretty good. Super packed though, massive line all around the lobby. Started 20 mins late and wound up being pretty much all Q&A. Looking at his twitter he was apparently astonished that he got so many super nerdy questions about PC98 games and unused characters.

What did he say about Mima, what did he say about Mima? :f5:

Zandracon
Oct 21, 2010
"What are your feelings about old characters like Mima returning?" "Well. I won't say 'no'."

more importantly

"Will you add any guys as characters?" "Guys are unnecessary in video games."

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Hedera Helix posted:

What did he say about Mima, what did he say about Mima? :f5:

Basically "We'll see what happens!"

Rin Satsuki was also mentioned, and he basically went "No time to put her in" and just left her deleted forever. He thought it was funny that Touhou fans know so much about his games.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
More snippets from today:

"Man, there's a pretty big line already. Oh God, I can't even speak English!"

"Honey, my 480 seat room hit capacity and they had to cut off the line. Holy crap!"

"I never thought I'd be answering questions about unused characters and what happened to so-and-so from the PC98 games at a Q&A session in a foreign country." (Commenters: "Did they ask about Satsuki Rin?!")

"Here's an American microbrewery and restaurant. The beer's got too much of a kick if you ask me."

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 28, 2013

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Hokuto posted:

"Honey, my 480 seat room hit capacity and they had to cut off the line. Holy crap!"

That one's great because I was on the outside of that capacity limit.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Well, pack it up guys. ZUN doesn't like American beer

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Pureauthor posted:

Depends on what type of beer he got, maybe he doesn't like bitter beers with a butt-load of hops?

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Yeah, if he was out with someone like Moot, I could see that guy trolling ZUN with like a 120 minute IPA.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"

Hokuto posted:

(Commenters: "Did they ask about Saccharin?!")
Satsuki Rin but I don't know why they used half-space katakana for her name.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Oh, good catch. :v:

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!
I wonder what sort of beer he had that left him with an unfortunate impression.

Someone please ask him to do official Momiji Inubashiri art sometime in the future. She's been in two games now and she still hasn't rated a picture yet.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

Well American beer IS terrible, so this isn't necessarily a bad thing...

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 28, 2013

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
drat, should've had you ask if Shinki really was Alice's Mom.

Volt Catfish posted:

Well American beer IS terrible, so this isn't necessarily a bad thing...

Shut your whore mouth. Sure the big corporate breweries are terrible, but I'll be damned if I let you talk poo poo about our microbreweries.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ZUN in the middle. I'm off to the left somewhere.

I'm honestly amazed at how much more Touhou presence there is at the con compared to the last time I was here a couple years ago. Back then I think the only Touhou-related stuff I saw was one booth with some wallscrolls and one Reimu cosplay. This year not only is it all over the dealer's room, Touhou costumes are almost up there in popularity with Shingeki no Kyojin and Sword Art Online.

Regarding the beer issue, I'm somewhat disappointed that AWA is located off in the sticks on the north side of the city. We have some really good craft beer bars but they're a pretty good haul away from the con so I dunno if he'll have a chance to go.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Bakanogami posted:

I'm honestly amazed at how much more Touhou presence there is at the con compared to the last time I was here a couple years ago.

ZUN probably drew everyone like a magnet.

I'm kind of surprised nobody brought some quality beers as a gift or anything. I was half expecting ZUN to walk out of the con with a basket full of beer like some kind of alcoholic Halloween.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm honestly kind of surprised nobody brought some quality beers as a gift or anything.
I'm sure everyone wanted to, but AWA is pretty strict against giving gifts directly to guests. There was that mural of all the Touhou characters made into a scroll that was going to be given to ZUN, but a staff member had to make the actual presentation.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Frankly I'm kind of sad that he got so many silly questions about PC-98 and Satsuki Rin (whose full story is already known? why would anyone ask that?) instead of perfectly good silly questions about Gensokyo metaphysics.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Because Rin is one of the best characters.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Rin is the best almost-character.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Clarste posted:

Frankly I'm kind of sad that he got so many silly questions about PC-98 and Satsuki Rin (whose full story is already known? why would anyone ask that?) instead of perfectly good silly questions about Gensokyo metaphysics.

He got like 2 questions about PC-98 and Rin. Other than a few stupid ones, all the questions were pretty great.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Takoluka posted:

He got like 2 questions about PC-98 and Rin. Other than a few stupid ones, all the questions were pretty great.

What was the statement on potential overseas release for the games?

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
Someone tweeted that he was in talks about getting the series on Steam, apparently.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Volt Catfish posted:

What was the statement on potential overseas release for the games?

No plans. All speculation.

J-List is here and apparently, when talking to ZUN about licensing his games, were kindly told "I don't want to talk to you." So nothing right now.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

leather fedora posted:

Someone tweeted that he was in talks about getting the series on Steam, apparently.

He said he likes Steam, but for him, it would be very difficult for him to work with it for distribution (as things are now).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I would hope someone has brought Carpe Fulgur to his attention for translation purposes. :allears:

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
More AWA tweets:

"I got lots of attention, even in America. (Mostly from males)"

"I forgot this con runs all night. I could hear yelling the whole night."

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!
Does this imply the female:male Touhou ratio is different in Japan?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

bahamut posted:

Does this imply the female:male Touhou ratio is different in Japan?

I'd assume there'd be a little more female fans in Japan than in other places. Or maybe Zun is just really freaked out about the kind of attention he's getting from male fans.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Takoluka posted:

And how many metaphysics questions did he get? None. Despite the fact that this sort of thing is the hardest to have answered naturally. I mean, if/when Touhou comes out on Steam it wouldn't have really mattered if anyone asked here, would it? Whereas if no asks if Medicine is a tsukumogami or not he'll take that knowledge to his grave.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Clarste posted:

And how many metaphysics questions did he get? None. Despite the fact that this sort of thing is the hardest to have answered naturally. I mean, if/when Touhou comes out on Steam it wouldn't have really mattered if anyone asked here, would it? Whereas if no asks if Medicine is a tsukumogami or not he'll take that knowledge to his grave.

I think it's pretty well assumed that Medicine is a tsukumogami. I think it was commonly accepted before TH10 even came out.

More importantly, nobody wants her around, in or out of canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

I think it's pretty well assumed that Medicine is a tsukumogami. I think it was commonly accepted before TH10 even came out.

More importantly, nobody wants her around, in or out of canon.

I do, she's my favorite character.