Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

skipdogg posted:

Sounds like something that needs to be taken care of. That stills means he needs to have a backout plan and contingencies in place in case of some kind of failure. Change denied with out a rollback and contingency plan.

I think the contingency plan is to make someone ( not me ) drive 5 hours to the client site to try and fix it there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah, that. Unless you have a plan for rolling back / replacing the hardware if and when it goes horribly wrong, don't do it.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

It's risky, but I am 100% sure it'd go smoothly on the first try if someone drove 500 miles and did it locally.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Pshaw. It's a perfectly valid and trustworthy solution - firmware upgrades wandering off into the ether and bricking any critical hardware is *unheard* of in this day and age!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to overnight a goat and two black roosters for... uh, "testing purposes".

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
A user took his work laptop along on his European vacation and killed it by letting the battery die during Windows updates. Guess what I'll be doing Monday morning?

EDIT: Oh man, that Shoretel quote is over $30k! :stare:

Biggz
Dec 27, 2005

Blackswordca, I don't think I'd want to copy a firmware via a WAN connection straight to the switch, is there somewhere local you can remote in to and copy it from?

If it's a cisco switch (other vendors I'm unsure about) you may be able to do an MD5 check on the firmware before reboot. I say may.. i've done this on Cisco switches before but not an 8 year old one.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Biggz posted:

Blackswordca, I don't think I'd want to copy a firmware via a WAN connection straight to the switch, is there somewhere local you can remote in to and copy it from?

If it's a cisco switch (other vendors I'm unsure about) you may be able to do an MD5 check on the firmware before reboot. I say may.. i've done this on Cisco switches before but not an 8 year old one.

Yeah there is a server onsite that can upload the file. The switch is an HP Procurve. One of the other Sr has taken the ticket from me which im fine with. I think its the guy that would have to drive up if there was a problem. One less headache for me to worry about before the weekend.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Dick Trauma posted:

A user took his work laptop along on his European vacation and killed it by letting the battery die during Windows updates. Guess what I'll be doing Monday morning?

EDIT: Oh man, that Shoretel quote is over $30k! :stare:

Depending on how difficult of a setup the person has, I'll usually dump their existing hosed up install to an image, then see if I can either roll it back to an earlier time using system restore or see if I can just do a repair. This still takes forever as we have to decrypt the hard drive first, but at least it's mostly waiting to see if it will work rather than having to sit there and babysit while poo poo's installing.

Otherwise, if it's a simple setup, I'll just re-image it and install the few programs they need (if they aren't already on the generic image) and hand it back.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

blackswordca posted:

Yeah there is a server onsite that can upload the file. The switch is an HP Procurve. One of the other Sr has taken the ticket from me which im fine with. I think its the guy that would have to drive up if there was a problem. One less headache for me to worry about before the weekend.

You should probably be fine since ProCurve's can store two firmware images

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

Oh man, that Shoretel quote is over $30k! :stare:
They surprise sex you on the handsets. If you don't need to trunk (aka I'll take my cost in wiring, instead!) you can cut costs a little by going with 100 Mbit phones (e.g. the 560).

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!
:yotj: Year of the Job time! :yotj:

tl;dr version: 56% pay raise over my old desktop lead role at a new company to administrate Active Directory and Exchange for a fairly large energy company. Closer to home, pretty flexible hours, no direct user contact (only escalations from helpdesk), more interesting work, and a boatload more money. It's also nice to get back into the swing of things after six months off from my last job (was finishing up my bachelors degree).

I'm so pumped I can barely see straight!

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Agrikk posted:

I agree. Oh MS, you've spent twenty years convincing us that your GUI was so awesome and easy to use and now that we are conditioned to it you want us to forget all of that and start using object-oriented commands via powershell.

So now powershell it is.

code:
The term is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program.
Sorry! You've opened up PowerShell, not PowerShell for Exchange, or PowerShell for SQL, or whatever the gently caress the reason is for why the command isn't recognized in that window, but it is in this window.

A pox on all of your cmdlet!

I'm right there with you. I had to use "runas /user:domain\administrator powershell" just to get access to run "Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted", in order to connect to Exchange online services with this stuff:
code:
PS C:\Windows\system32> $org='contoso.onmicrosoft.com'
PS C:\Windows\system32> $cred=Get-Credential <my_user>@$org
PS C:\Windows\system32> $sess=New-PSSession –ConfigurationName
microsoft.exchange -Credential $cred -AllowRedirection -Authentication
basic -ConnectionUri [url]https://ps.outlook.com/powershell[/url]
PS C:\Windows\system32> Import-PSSession $sess
...all in order to make the necessary changes to a room mailbox so it can work as a Lync Room system mailbox. I got all that, try following their (albeit beta version) instructions, and now Powershell won't take the password I'm trying to push through onto this Room Mailbox. Then I found this little gem in some research, and while the first two sentences make sense on their own, what follows has given me a facial tic:

MSTechnet posted:

The Exchange Management Shell uses remote Windows PowerShell features for all commands, even commands that are run on the local server. As a result, all responses from Exchange Management Shell cmdlets are serialized XML. This means that although the response object indicates the Exchange object type that was used to generate the response, the response object cannot be cast to the Exchange object type; instead, you must use the property bag that is exposed by the response object to obtain the values from the Exchange object type.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Caged posted:

You should probably be fine since ProCurve's can store two firmware images

I would be more worried about things like Fans that have been spinning non stop for a long time, having to start spinning again after being shut down. I think most of us have heard a story about some mechanical piece of hardware that was fine for years until someone tried to reboot it.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

quote:

This means that although the response object indicates the Exchange object type that was used to generate the response, the response object cannot be cast to the Exchange object type; instead, you must use the property bag that is exposed by the response object to obtain the values from the Exchange object type.

Wha...?

gently caress you Microsoft. gently caress you so hard for dreaming up something that makes you use an exposed property bag for anything. Find a big pile of gently caress you and pound it up your rear end with a big gently caress you hammer.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

skipdogg posted:

I would be more worried about things like Fans that have been spinning non stop for a long time, having to start spinning again after being shut down. I think most of us have heard a story about some mechanical piece of hardware that was fine for years until someone tried to reboot it.
Well, I for one, am sort of rooting for the brick. I'm going with: the packet loss bug they're trying to fix corrupting the file transfer and the flash being old enough that the firmware upgrade doesn't hash check it before booting.

:munch:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

bort posted:

They surprise sex you on the handsets. If you don't need to trunk (aka I'll take my cost in wiring, instead!) you can cut costs a little by going with 100 Mbit phones (e.g. the 560).
And also check for the little gotchas like "we can only put up to 64 extensions into a container maximum, so your receptionists will have to page 6 different zones when someone can't be found at their own extension.."

Comradephate posted:

My boss rented a lake house for us on Tuesday and my entire team was drunk by noon, and full of fajitas and bratwursts that he made by 1. :smug:

So basically, it varies a lot.
Sounds like quite the drunken sausage party.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

My ShoreTel guy is too lazy to update, so we're stuck on a client version that causes DLL hell with Lync. It's a fine VOIP platform, but every time Windows Update or something serious runs I have to fiddle with ShoreTel client DLLs to make screen sharing work in Lync again (UccApi.dll).

On the VOIP topic, if you're a "decision maker" in sales guy terms, you're gonna get cold-called. I've started making "Spammer" contacts that sync to my VOIP and keep adding phone numbers to them. So every time I get a new recruiter or reseller call me, they get 1-2 minutes of my time and then go into my "contact database". Then whenever they call again, my phone says Spammer and I turn back to whatever I was doing.

coyo7e posted:

Sounds like quite the drunken sausage party.
Sounded pretty cool to me :shobon:

bort fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 28, 2013

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

coyo7e posted:

And also check for the little gotchas like "we can only put up to 64 extensions into a container maximum, so your receptionists will have to page 6 different zones when someone can't be found at their own extension.."

Granted, this should probably be going over a PA and not over phones.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

GargleBlaster posted:

MS, y u do dis??

I guess they enjoy ruining their own GUIs to steer people toward the CLI to try and impress Linux admins or something, and I guess I'll be learning the CLI stuff!

Ever try to administer a very large and complex Exchange 2003 environment? I'm talking tens of thousands of mailboxes spread across numerous sites. That poo poo sucked. Either it was GUI or some hosed up vb script with WMI.

With PoSh you can do some amazing stuff. Here's a hint for Exchange though that I've recently been going through: use LDAP queries to get your data if the cmdlets are dragging rear end. I've saved some huge amounts of time in some of my processes and reports by changing them to use LDAP in certain places. One script was taking over an hour regularly, now runs in under five minutes.

Edit: YOTJing hopefully soon. Had a good interview this week with a follow up next with senior peeps doing a technical interview.

The Electronaut fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 28, 2013

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

wintermuteCF posted:

tl;dr version: 56% pay raise over my old desktop lead role at a new company to administrate Active Directory and Exchange for a fairly large energy company. Closer to home, pretty flexible hours, no direct user contact (only escalations from helpdesk), more interesting work, and a boatload more money. It's also nice to get back into the swing of things after six months off from my last job (was finishing up my bachelors degree).

gently caress yeah good job man

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

wintermuteCF posted:

Sounds excellent. Congrats!

Mattress Man
Apr 3, 2009

:dukedog:
Had a user request a email restored from 2 months ago, said it was sent from one of a half dozen people and gave me a 3 week time frame to search. We are in the middle of corporate SAN upgrades. It took 3 days for her to even give me this limited info and she needs it today. Never felt so much satisfaction telling someone that the earliest we can get to it is mid next week. Also a principal requested a retina display MacBook Pro "to protect my eyes" (bear in mind that he has taken it out of the docking station once since he got it in July 2012, the rest of the time its sitting with the lid closed). CIO basically told him to gently caress off and that is 1080p 15" laptop display is having hardware issues that we can talk to Dell about getting it repaired.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

MJP posted:

Again, still in catchup mode, but put me in for 32gb. I just wish the USB stick/bottle opener came with something a la isostick - would be nice to have various bootable OSes/installers on it.

Oh, man... I'd completely forgotten about that. I'd wanted to pick one up back when they were doing their kickstarter but was broke at the time. Thanks for reminding me. Just ordered one.

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005
I don't work in IT, but once when I was working on a Sunday I overheard one of the upper level managers furious and ranting about how he "installed ThinkPoint on all the computers" and that they all had "errors costing $80 to fix on them" and how he was going to let the IT department have it on Monday. For those of you who don't know, ThinkPoint is one of those scare ware virus things that fakes problems to get you to send them money. So on Monday, the IT dept gets to get yelled at by the guy responsible for the issue and then presumably having to spend hours and hours fixing it.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Xequecal posted:

I don't work in IT, but once when I was working on a Sunday I overheard one of the upper level managers furious and ranting about how he "installed ThinkPoint on all the computers" and that they all had "errors costing $80 to fix on them" and how he was going to let the IT department have it on Monday. For those of you who don't know, ThinkPoint is one of those scare ware virus things that fakes problems to get you to send them money. So on Monday, the IT dept gets to get yelled at by the guy responsible for the issue and then presumably having to spend hours and hours fixing it.

You can build a lot of goodwill up by informing IT guys of something like this so that they can respond calmly and provide the proverbial bitch-slap when Mr Chucklefuck comes along and starts screaming at them. After that they can then completely destroy his authority and credibility and turn him into the laughing stock of the company to prevent the next person with more balls than brains from trying the same poo poo.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
Can you imagine the unrepentant ugliness of ladies' underwear designed to part in such a way to allow the wearer to piss without removing them

e: wrong thread, this was meant for the achewood one. I assure you it makes sense there.

user on probation fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 28, 2013

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

tehloki posted:

Can you imagine the unrepentant ugliness of ladies' underwear designed to part in such a way to allow the wearer to piss without removing them

uh...what?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Too many tickets came in...the poor man is clearly traumatized. 'Tis a sad fate we must face.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

tehloki posted:

Let this be a lesson to all you putting off your YOTJs. It could happen to YOU!

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

I'm glad it wasn't just me who was hella confused by that.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Meanwhile in another thread - "where did my post about panties go?"

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I'm just wondering what's so inherently ugly about crotchless knickers?

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

GargleBlaster posted:

Meanwhile in another thread - "where did my post about panties go?"

That thread needs to be found and loaded with misposts about Exchange and Cisco firmware.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I (assume) he meant to post that in the Achewood thread in BSS. The current Achewood comic ( https://www.achewood.com ) features a cat who has had traumatic underwear experiences. The last couple pages in the thread have been underwear discussion.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Lum posted:

I'm just wondering what's so inherently ugly about crotchless knickers?

They are clothing for your crotch. It defeats the entire point!

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Volmarias posted:

They are clothing for your crotch. It defeats the entire point!

If you think the "point" of crotchless underwear is to be clothing, I think someone glossed over something in your sex ed class :colbert:

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Ursine Asylum posted:

If you think the "point" of crotchless underwear is to be clothing, I think someone glossed over something in your sex ed class :colbert:

Well, isn't it? What's the point of clothes if they don't cover the part of your body that they are supposed to cover. If you want your crotch to be uncovered, why bother with underwear at all?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Clothing can serve other purposes besides just covering body parts up. :pervert:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Ursine Asylum posted:

I never said that they didn't have a reason, I just pointed out the inherent contradiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Serious Hardware / Software Crap › RE: Some knickers came in....

• Locked thread