Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Harvest Moon kind of had something like that. If you had the recipe you could just make it straight from the book with the right ingredients, but you could experiment with different food and cooking methods to discover other recipes, and sometimes adding more stuff when cooking something like a stew resulted in a more nutritious stew. Haven't played it in a while so I might be wrong about some of the details. This was one of the GBA versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Inadequately posted:

Oh, I was mostly replying to TopLowTech's proposal. The acclimation idea sounds feasible at least, but it'd be a difficult trade-off for morale balancing. Early in the game, the player isn't going to have the skill or resources for cooking anything fancier that meat/veggies, so if you start off acclimated to fancy foods, a long-lasting depressed morale effect is only going to make it harder to get off the ground. Late-game, when you can make fancier food, nobody would make it if they knew it would raise their acclimation and make things harder for themselves in the long run.
Early in the game, though, you can -find- a lot of fancy foods that haven't rotted yet.

As for late in the game, the system I'm visualizing would certainly not make it disadvantageous to have one nice meal from a baseline of roast squirrel. As it would be a running average, the impact on acclimation would be small, especially compared to the morale the meal itself would give you.

Cardiovorax posted:

Honestly, I think that sounds pointlessly complicated and like a bitch to implement. It'd be more sensible to invest that kind of effort into something more immediately important, like finally making NPCs do something.
And this is probably true as well, of course. Food morale isn't exactly a pressing issue, just something that I've thought about a little.

Slaapaav posted:

Hunting needs to be made more realistic. Make animals much harder to spot and more likely run away before you can even get close enough to see them. Throwing rocks at squirrels feels way too cheap.
That would be terrible without some way of actually dealing with it. Animals don't sleep and don't get fatigued, and there's no real way to 'sneak,' so animals realistically avoiding you would just make hunting impossible in the absence of more extensive changes.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 27, 2013

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I think the easiest way to promote fancy foods would be to nerf the morale bonuses you get from (hot) (fresh) food, and make the morale bonuses you get from fancy foods last for hours. That way if you eat cheeseburgers & pizza 3 times a day you stay happy all the time, just like in real life.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Morale bonuses in general need to be completely reworked, because they're mostly just complete nonsense. The "mood swing" trait can randomly give you up to +/-200 morale, just like that, while shooting up with heroin gives you a hundred, which is still barely more than three times what eating a few freshly-cooked chunk of meat does for you. Getting wet, on the other hand, gives up to -50, which is half of a major depressive episode. There's absolutely no sense of proportion to any of it.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Nevets posted:

That way if you eat cheeseburgers & pizza 3 times a day you stay happy all the time, just like in real life.
That better not be sarcasm, mister.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Not at all. If my post seemed insincere it's only because I'm having trouble typing due to an odd pain in my chest.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Nevets posted:

Not at all. If my post seemed insincere it's only because I'm having trouble typing due to an odd pain in my chest.

Quell that internal fire with a Mountain Dew, gamer.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Bar Crow posted:

Something I've always thought survival type games should do is just let you combined different types of food items together instead of having specific recipes. The result is a generic meal item with a food value greater than the sum of its parts. It encourages variety without being tedious. Also it's funny to imagine the bizarre dishes you could create with whatever you have on hand.

Roasted triffid stamen and ant pincher casserole with a potato chip crust and a blueberry glaze. Fried spider palp as an appetizer. Serve hot with tequila and purified sewer water. Some soupy green ooze I found in the dumpster of a liquor store for dessert. I'm pretty sure that when I turn my back on it it moves a little, and sometimes I think I hear it whispering things to me.

BYOP.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Strudel Man posted:

Of course, that leaves pre-cataclysm foods that don't spoil, like cookies and chips and jerky, in a weird area, where it's not clear whether they should be given high enjoyability or low.

High enjoyability! It can be countered by them lowering your health stat and not actually give much nutrition, putting them in a comfort food niche rather than "you can live off packs of crisps forever" niche.

Jerky should be something you can make post-collapse and so shouldn't really be a "junk food" item.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

I'm a little surprised that animals still all drop the generic 'meat' rather than specific kinds of meat. You wouldn't even have to get down to one kind of meat per animal, but broad categories like gamey meat from coyotes/wolves/cougars, venison from deer/moose/bears, lean meat from squirrels/rabbits/spiders. Then there would be a good reason to ignore all the rabbits near you and go off searching for a deer. And it would be nice to have 'reheat' recipes, but that would near double the number of recipes in the list. A better option would simply be to give you a bonus to the enjoyability of any meal eaten within 2 squares of a fire/hotplate/kitchen.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Penguingo posted:

High enjoyability! It can be countered by them lowering your health stat and not actually give much nutrition, putting them in a comfort food niche rather than "you can live off packs of crisps forever" niche.

Jerky should be something you can make post-collapse and so shouldn't really be a "junk food" item.
You can also make cookies and chips post-collapse, though. At least, you can in experimental.

Nevets posted:

I'm a little surprised that animals still all drop the generic 'meat' rather than specific kinds of meat. You wouldn't even have to get down to one kind of meat per animal, but broad categories like gamey meat from coyotes/wolves/cougars, venison from deer/moose/bears, lean meat from squirrels/rabbits/spiders. Then there would be a good reason to ignore all the rabbits near you and go off searching for a deer. And it would be nice to have 'reheat' recipes, but that would near double the number of recipes in the list. A better option would simply be to give you a bonus to the enjoyability of any meal eaten within 2 squares of a fire/hotplate/kitchen.
Yeah, the 'recipe' method isn't always ideal for this kind of thing. There's a lot of niggling little issues that crop up, like how maybe a rock should be less effective than a hammer in recipes that require one, but actually implementing that would require separate hammer-based and rock-based recipes.

Unrelated: Can bone meal actually be used? I can't figure out how. I tried to apply it, but I ate it instead. :|

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 27, 2013

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I think you have to examine the plant, then you get an option to fertilize it. I'm not sure if you can use bone meal directly, though; I processed some of it into plant food before I used it.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Nevets posted:

I'm a little surprised that animals still all drop the generic 'meat' rather than specific kinds of meat. You wouldn't even have to get down to one kind of meat per animal, but broad categories like gamey meat from coyotes/wolves/cougars, venison from deer/moose/bears, lean meat from squirrels/rabbits/spiders.
Well considering they added new critters* to today nightly release, yeah.

* raccoons, wild turkeys, opossums, rattlesnakes, giant crayfishes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

Unrelated: Can bone meal actually be used? I can't figure out how. I tried to apply it, but I ate it instead. :|

Perhaps your character merely took the initiative and attempted to streamline the bonemeal-to-nutrition pipeline a little?

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

Strudel Man posted:

I was trying to figure this out too. Apparently you have to make bone meal and chitin powder, then craft some plant food with those two powders and some ammonia. Then when you [e]xamine a plant with plant food in your inventory you get the option to fertilize it.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Nevets posted:

And it would be nice to have 'reheat' recipes, but that would near double the number of recipes in the list. A better option would simply be to give you a bonus to the enjoyability of any meal eaten within 2 squares of a fire/hotplate/kitchen.

Heatpacks do this, if I'm not mistaken. I only ever used one, and it turned my regular Cooked Meat into a Cooked Meat (Hot). The bonus morale was sort of nice, but this was when Optimist used to give an automatic +20 so between traits and the several dozen joints my character was holding I never bothered reheating food again.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Wow, you really can't throw mininukes anymore, now that they weigh 20 pounds. They'll only go one square...unless you need more throwing skill, maybe.

And I foolishly neglected to back up my save before trying to use one on a fungal tower anyway. That's another character gone. :|

edit: nooope. That's a range divisor of 80, on a base of strength * 8. So to throw it even two squares, you'd need a strength of 20. Boourns.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Sep 28, 2013

Adrian Owlsley
Aug 6, 2010

This galaxy only has room for one karaoke champ.
Obviously the game is encouraging you to be cool and drop it off your armored motorcycle at 100mph.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adrian Owlsley posted:

Obviously the game is encouraging you to be cool and drop it off your armored motorcycle at 100mph.

Can you set a timer on it?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Fungal Towers seem to be buffed up a bit now. I used to be able to take them down with just metal arrows but now the walls seem to respond too quickly for that, and shrubs bringing vehicles to a halt makes it harder to drive in and get out quickly. Also after blowing it up with grenades fungaloids still seem to spawn, even after a whole in-game year.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Turtlicious posted:

Can you set a timer on it?
It automatically has a timer of ten turns, but that makes it "difficult" to get out of the blast range in time.

Maybe if you had a bionic teleporter or something.

Inadequately posted:

Also after blowing it up with grenades fungaloids still seem to spawn, even after a whole in-game year.
Wow, seriously? Guess it wouldn't really have been any benefit for me to blow the thing up anyway.

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"
Geez, I guess winners really don't use drugs. Took some meth to get out of a tight spot, an hour or two later (right) it wore off and my character now has incessant meth cravings & has slept for 24 hours straight. I'll stick to adderall from now on, I guess.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah, the 'recipe' method isn't always ideal for this kind of thing. There's a lot of niggling little issues that crop up, like how maybe a rock should be less effective than a hammer in recipes that require one, but actually implementing that would require separate hammer-based and rock-based recipes.

Most of the issues with the recipe system have conceptually easy solutions, the real problem being that implementing said solutions would require a heavy rewrite of the recipe system. For instance, you could take into account the effectiveness of different tools in a recipe by giving them a quality modifier. Different tools and different ingredients would have different qualities that affect the quality of the final output; that final quality could be used to determine what item the recipe actually creates (if any).

Personally, I'd like to see the recipe system broken up from one recipe crafting window to individual windows tied to tools/equipment. For instance, not only should creating ammo require the necessary skills, but to access the recipes, you should be required to build a reloading bench and find the proper equipment (that you attach to said bench). Various other recipes should require you to build a workbench in which you attach/store your hammer, screwdriver and other various tools that are needed. This setup just seems to make more sense to me conceptually, and also helps alleviate the problems with too many different types of recipes in each recipe window tab, as well as the need to track down where you put your tools and/or throw them into heaps on the floor for easy access.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

The King of Swag posted:

Personally, I'd like to see the recipe system broken up from one recipe crafting window to individual windows tied to tools/equipment. For instance, not only should creating ammo require the necessary skills, but to access the recipes, you should be required to build a reloading bench and find the proper equipment (that you attach to said bench). Various other recipes should require you to build a workbench in which you attach/store your hammer, screwdriver and other various tools that are needed. This setup just seems to make more sense to me conceptually, and also helps alleviate the problems with too many different types of recipes in each recipe window tab, as well as the need to track down where you put your tools and/or throw them into heaps on the floor for easy access.
Eh. I halfway agree with this, but I also tend to travel around with everything carried on my back, and it'd be annoying if I had to build a bench any time I wanted to make anything.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

Wow, you really can't throw mininukes anymore, now that they weigh 20 pounds. They'll only go one square...unless you need more throwing skill, maybe.

And I foolishly neglected to back up my save before trying to use one on a fungal tower anyway. That's another character gone. :|

edit: nooope. That's a range divisor of 80, on a base of strength * 8. So to throw it even two squares, you'd need a strength of 20. Boourns.

'Nuclear football' is just a metaphor.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

The King of Swag posted:

I think this is a really awful idea that would screw nomadic characters over completely. Having to backtrack to a bench every time you want to craft something more complicated than a pointy stick sounds really tedious; it certainly was tedious in Skyrim and New Vegas. Except even more so because Cataclysm doesn't have a fast-travel system. It's the entirely wrong type of realism.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Honestly once you have a good set of tools and high electronics you should just be able to slap a few processor boards on it and turn it into an Integrated Toolset. Personally I think stuff like the forge and still should be buildable objects rather than an item, but I guess items are easier to mod in.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

deptstoremook posted:

Geez, I guess winners really don't use drugs. Took some meth to get out of a tight spot, an hour or two later (right) it wore off and my character now has incessant meth cravings & has slept for 24 hours straight. I'll stick to adderall from now on, I guess.

Give it a couple days and you'll kick that meth habit. Same with alcoholism, heroin addiction, or sleeping pill dependency.

Winners use all drugs all the time.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Inadequately posted:

Honestly once you have a good set of tools and high electronics you should just be able to slap a few processor boards on it and turn it into an Integrated Toolset. Personally I think stuff like the forge and still should be buildable objects rather than an item, but I guess items are easier to mod in.

The thing is, even without it being a building, it's still really stupidly implemented.

The forge for example, why do you need to load it with charcoal? Why not just have charcoal as a consumed resource, and the forge as a tool? That would let you build a workshop, fill it with all your crap, and just have it work. Have a fuel pile, a metal pile, a tool pile, a forge, an anvil, and stuff like that. Stand in the middle and it just takes what it needs when it needs it.

Same with a lot of the tools, the hand press and die set for example could just eat batteries from your inventory or nearby when you craft recipes with it.

Hell, a vehicle component which just feeds power to nearby electrical devices would be fine, I'm already building a kitchen vehicle in my base which is basically just a bunch of frames with solar panels on one side which hangs out the door, and an kitchen unit/welding rig on the other side in the garage.

The game could really use some work on not having a bunch of different and useless systems which all do the same thing, or which simply don't need to work that way.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Hell, a vehicle component which just feeds power to nearby electrical devices would be fine, I'm already building a kitchen vehicle in my base which is basically just a bunch of frames with solar panels on one side which hangs out the door, and an kitchen unit/welding rig on the other side in the garage.
Something like the "nearby fire" ingredient in nearly all the food recipes but with an electricity source?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Toplowtech posted:

Something like the "nearby fire" ingredient in nearly all the food recipes but with an electricity source?

Yeah, basically, and it depletes from the vehicle's charge when in use.

Hell for most of the complex base building mechanics, the vehicle system would be ideal, honestly. It can distribute and store resources, stack parts and provide area functions, have directional illumination (light towers and such) and has a strong standardized construction system in place.

If you add in the ability to transfer resources between vehicles there is really very little difference between a vehicle and an building any more. You can even drag them around more smoothly than you can furniture too.

Unless you very specifically need something to be a solid world tile, such as indestructable walls and traps and such, there's no reason to have the building system for a lot of things, for functional parts, the vehicle system works better, honestly.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Penguingo posted:

Give it a couple days and you'll kick that meth habit. Same with alcoholism, heroin addiction, or sleeping pill dependency.

I'd even go as far as to say that learning to properly abuse drugs is one of the things you need to master to start getting "good" at this game. My survival rate definitely went up when I got over my reluctance.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Penguingo posted:

Currently, though, that'll get you stuck with perma-flu, because of how withdrawal tanks your hidden health stat.

Unless that's just in experimental.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

Cardiovorax posted:

I think this is a really awful idea that would screw nomadic characters over completely. Having to backtrack to a bench every time you want to craft something more complicated than a pointy stick sounds really tedious; it certainly was tedious in Skyrim and New Vegas. Except even more so because Cataclysm doesn't have a fast-travel system. It's the entirely wrong type of realism.

I actually don't see how it's that much different for nomadic characters, as you already need to pack up and take your tools with you already. The only fundamental difference for a nomadic character is that if you want to craft more complex items on the road, you'll need to find a bench*/build one and convert it to the type of bench you need. Of course, I don't know of many people who keep nomadic characters without some sort of death-mobile, in which case you'd never really do without, as you'd just have all your needed benches installed in your vehicle.

* I'm just using a bench as a catch-all term, as there's no reason that the needed work-area can't be a forge or a large machine-tool.

The King of Swag fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 29, 2013

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Besides isn't the point of a nomadic character that you don't need to settle down and get a heavy industry going, you just pillage everything from the millions of places you visit?

If you can just carry around all the production with you, what's the difference between nomad and not-nomad?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

Besides isn't the point of a nomadic character that you don't need to settle down and get a heavy industry going, you just pillage everything from the millions of places you visit?

If you can just carry around all the production with you, what's the difference between nomad and not-nomad?
There's a big difference between setting up a whole forging apparatus and wiring something together once in a while. Nomadic characters may not do the former very much, but they certainly do the latter, and it would be very annoying if you had to put together a bench before you could assemble a flashlight.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

There's a big difference between setting up a whole forging apparatus and wiring something together once in a while. Nomadic characters may not do the former very much, but they certainly do the latter, and it would be very annoying if you had to put together a bench before you could assemble a flashlight.

Well not everything would have to be a great big bench. It'd be a bit stupid if you couldn't just carry a toolbox around with your soldering iron, screwdriver, hammer, spanner, and a set of blades in it. I've got one sitting next to me at the moment.

But a less clunky crafting system would be nice, building crafting stations/crafting sets and having them be used like an integrated toolset would be potentially quite nice, and involve less fiddlyness with keeping a dozen tools charged and carried and things.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005
Is there any penalty for eating human flesh? It doesn't seem like there should be, since the only source of human flesh is my old characters.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Doug Lombardi posted:

Is there any penalty for eating human flesh? It doesn't seem like there should be, since the only source of human flesh is my old characters.

I think there's some minor downsides, but you'd have to eat a ton of it or be in really crappy shape to see the effects. There is a recipe book you can find that has meals you can make with human flesh that have positive effects, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I think it gives you a morale hit, unless you have the Cannibal trait. That said even with NPCs on fresh human meat is so rare that it's unlikely you'll ever come across a situation where you can consume it on a regular basis, so there's hardly any point in taking it.

On another note, some of the water bionics probably need rebalancing. The water extractor can draw infinite amounts of water from a squirrel corpse, provided you have the containers for it, and the aero-evaporator can do the same from thin air.

Also the chain lightning bionic is great fun for taking out sewer rats in caves. I should give it a try for the next fungal spire I find.